Study ties common antibiotics with birth defects

Researchers studying antibiotics in pregnancy have found a surprising link between common drugs used to treat urinary infections and birth defects. Read more
Get a job

Scranton, PA

#1 Nov 3, 2009
"The new study is the first large analysis of antibiotic use in pregnancy. It found that mothers of babies with birth defects were more likely than mothers with healthy babies to report taking two types of antibiotics during pregnancy: sulfa drugs (brand names include Thiosulfil Forte and Bactrim) and urinary germicides called nitrofurantoins (brand names include Furadantin and Macrobid)."

This is VERY different than saying the study found that pregnant women who took sulfa or nitrofurantoin were more likely to have babies with birth defects. It seems very possible that mothers who have babies with birth defects may more readily report everything they took during pregnancy, while mothers with perfectly healthy babies do not.
S York Township

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#2 Nov 3, 2009
Another A+ for junk science reporting. The lead should have been "Self repoted use of antibiotics MAYBE COULD POSSIBLY be linked to birth defects."

Another weakness of the study is that it doesn't appear to control for women who don't take any drugs and have UTI infections. Do they have higher birth defects?(if they live) If yes, then, according to Occam's Razor, the UTI is causing the defect.

Hey, here is an idea. How about a reporter with some science background reviewing crap before you publish it? Archives is a good publication but it isn't the "gold standard" in pediatrics and shouldn't this have gone into an OB/Gyn journal?

Hey, I have a study that shows DiHydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is the main constiuent in most poison solutions and should be regulated or banned! Can you publish it?

Oh, wait, DHMO is H2O.
Jessica

Lombard, IL

#3 May 7, 2012
The possiblity of birth defects is seen in many medications that is why it is best to consult an obstetrician first before taking any medications when pregnant. Most medications may put the baby at risk but are still be ing prescribed because the benefits that can be obtained when taking the drug outweighs the risks. You may also check this page http://www.zoloftsertralinebirthdefects.com
Dawn

Gainesville, FL

#4 Jul 2, 2012
My baby died at 26 weeks. I delivered her stillborn on Feb 5th 2012. I cannot prove it completely, but there is a strong chance Macrobid contributed to my daughter's death. I guess I am "allergic" to it. I found out too late about this though....

I've had many many many tests all coming back negative. Nothing is wrong with me, nothing was wrong with the baby. Nothing chromosomal. No clotting disorders. The doctors say it was just unexplained bad luck... They say macrobid did not do it, but they have no explanation how it did NOT contribute. They just say that it is "safe." However, I stongly believe macrobid contributed to the loss of my daughter.

At 4 months pregnant I had symptoms starting that looked like a UTI could be starting, but I wasn't certain. My doctor told me to take Macrobid as a precautionary measure just in case. I did not know I was "allergic" to it. But within hours of taking just one pill I had an extreme reaction. I started to have aches and shart shooting pains in my stomach. I began to have respiratory distress. As the evening went on I began to not be able to breathe and began to have flu like symptoms of achiness all over. I didn't take any more macrobid and got on Benedryl right away. the reaction took a few days to go away. I went to the ER and the baby had a heartbeat at that time. But complications slowly emerged... As it turned out, I never had a UTI (test came back negative). Two months later my baby died. Her growth had slowed to a stop. I think her lungs were damaged by the pill and so she couldn't continue to develop healthy.:-(
Blame Vaccines

Winnipeg, Canada

#8 Aug 17, 2012
Medical Holocaust wrote:
http://medicalholocaust.blogsp ot.com/
It's not the drugs it is how they are manufactured. 70% of drugs sold in the US are manufactured outside the US.
Wrong. Pharma maims and killd where ever its made.
Jesse

New York, NY

#9 Sep 28, 2012
Indeed there are medications that may increase the risk of birth defects. Some women who took Zoloft have also claimed that their baby developed heart problems and other birth defects because they used Zoloft while they were pregnant. That is why taking medications like antibiotics and antidepressants are not advised by some obstetricians. You may visit http://www.zoloftsertralinebirthdefects.com
Kari

Pendleton, OR

#10 Nov 8, 2012
Dawn wrote:
My baby died at 26 weeks. I delivered her stillborn on Feb 5th 2012. I cannot prove it completely, but there is a strong chance Macrobid contributed to my daughter's death. I guess I am "allergic" to it. I found out too late about this though....
I've had many many many tests all coming back negative. Nothing is wrong with me, nothing was wrong with the baby. Nothing chromosomal. No clotting disorders. The doctors say it was just unexplained bad luck... They say macrobid did not do it, but they have no explanation how it did NOT contribute. They just say that it is "safe." However, I stongly believe macrobid contributed to the loss of my daughter.
At 4 months pregnant I had symptoms starting that looked like a UTI could be starting, but I wasn't certain. My doctor told me to take Macrobid as a precautionary measure just in case. I did not know I was "allergic" to it. But within hours of taking just one pill I had an extreme reaction. I started to have aches and shart shooting pains in my stomach. I began to have respiratory distress. As the evening went on I began to not be able to breathe and began to have flu like symptoms of achiness all over. I didn't take any more macrobid and got on Benedryl right away. the reaction took a few days to go away. I went to the ER and the baby had a heartbeat at that time. But complications slowly emerged... As it turned out, I never had a UTI (test came back negative). Two months later my baby died. Her growth had slowed to a stop. I think her lungs were damaged by the pill and so she couldn't continue to develop healthy.:-(
I went into the er for possible uti symptoms at 13 weeks. I had an emergency ultrasound and everything was good with my baby. They put me on macrobid just in case I had a uti. I started to take it and it made me feel awful I felt so sick and tired and out of breath! I took it for two days and I called my ob doctor and she said that I didn't actually have a uti because my culture didn't develop so I could stop taking the pills! So I did all of a sudden at my 20 week ultrasound my son is missing his left hand! I had all of the genetic testing done an amniocentesis done and lots of 4D ultrasounds. Everything was fine, I have a 3 year old son missing his left hand and they basically told me there wasn't a reason for it. That I had a 1 in a million chance of this happening for no reason....macrobid was the only drug I took the whole pregnancy. I am positive this drug is what caused him to have a missing hand.

If anyone else knows of this kind of thing happening please contact me! Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let Know What That Paleo Diet? 1 hr mathewsteven10 2
How to stop tooth eroison? What i do? 1 hr mathewsteven10 1
News Most adults happy about smoking ban (Nov '06) 1 hr The Great Kaptoz 15
News Mississippi Could Soon Shut Down Its Only Abort... (Apr '14) 1 hr Spotted Girl 13
News Big Pharma lobbies FDA to approve twice rejecte... 1 hr Spotted Girl 2
News Local Chiropractors Discuss: Common Causes of B... 1 hr mbprabhu 13
News Causes of joint pain (Oct '08) 1 hr mbprabhu 11
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 5 hr Concerned-CapeTown 6,215
More from around the web