LI doc wants nebulizers available for...

LI doc wants nebulizers available for student athletes -- Sport...

There are 33 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 3, 2008, titled LI doc wants nebulizers available for student athletes -- Sport.... In it, Newsday reports that:

Student athletes who suffer potentially deadly asthma attacks should be treated on the playing field with a lifesaving nebulizer, according to a Long Island doctor who is championing an effort he hopes mimics ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
just a few dollars more

Ramsey, NJ

#1 Jun 3, 2008
Why is this necessary? THi sis yet another stupid idea that will do little more than run up everyone's tax bill.

If these indiviudals are that ill, they shouldn't be involved in these activities. Also, they should be responsible for their own health care.

The defibrilators were a waste of money and so are these things. If this doctor is so interested in doing these, he should feel free to fund it himself.
Gay Ramone

Elizabeth, NJ

#2 Jun 3, 2008
Great job, encourage kids with medical problems to engage in activities that will kill them.
THE FRITO BANDITO

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Jun 3, 2008
Sure give the kids drugs that are not prescribed for them. If they need an inhaler the parents should get one from the kids Dr. and let him carry it around in his gym bag. Not my tax responsibility.
Pandora Spock

West Babylon, NY

#4 Jun 3, 2008
just a few dollars more wrote:
Why is this necessary? THi sis yet another stupid idea that will be do little more than run up everyone's tax bill.
If these indiviudals are that ill, they shouldn't be involved in these activities. Also, they should be responsible for their own health care.
The defibrilators were a waste of money and so are these things. If this doctor is so interested in doing these, he should feel free to fund it himself.
Obviously, you or a loved one does not have asthma. An asthmatic can be asymptomatic (controlled) for years and suddenly due to a trigger (pollen, cold air, cigarette smoke,someone wearing excessive perfume, etc.) have an asthma attack that requires the use of a nebulizer to allow him or her to breathe.The inhalers are useless because if one is having a severe attack you cannot get the medicine into your lungs it is only good for mild attacks. Nebulizers usually have a mask so the second you breathe in medication to open your airways is diffused in your lungs.

As to defibrillators being a waste of money, if you have the misfortune to have a heart attack in a public place I can't see you refusing its use to save your life.

No, I am not a doctor or a medical professional, but I am an asthmatic that keeps my asthma under control with medications and regular visits to my allergist.

Human life is precious......
Gary

Ridgewood, NY

#5 Jun 3, 2008
IF these kids have such severe asthma that they need a nebulizer why arent they bringing their own? Why do our tax dollars have to pay for this?
just a few dollars more

Ramsey, NJ

#6 Jun 3, 2008
Pandora Spock wrote:
<quoted text>
Human life is precious......
Fine, you pay for it all. Stop wasting my money on these mindless, pointless, useless pursuits.

After you make the world safe for everyone and save all of thes elives, are you going to be responsible for them? Are you going to take care of them for the remainder of the lifespan you provide them.

Let them ALL be culled from the gene pool as nature intended. if they want to live, they can take care of it themselves. There disease, illness, sickeness, their medical bill.
Jean Crooker

Long Beach, NY

#7 Jun 3, 2008
I think having the nebulizer machine in schools is a great idea. Just because a child has ashtma does not mean he or she should be excluding from sports. As a mother of a child with asthma I feel it will only benifit our children. Are we not the same parents who complain that children spend to much time on the computer or on games. Let them get out and run around. Asthma can be controlled with the right equipment and medicine. Do you know that out olypimic teams have people with asthma? You would never know by looking at them. Yes an inhaler is great but sometimes it is just not good enough. The nebulizer will help the child and possibly prevent a hospital visit. Dr. Miller is my doctor and I back him up 110%. For those of yous who think it is a waste of time I hope to god your child dont have asthma and have an attack while they are playing a sport. Some parents dont even know there child has asthma they think the child is out of breath from to much running around. I am all for the machines being in every school and will back my doctor up all the way.
just a few more dollars

United States

#8 Jun 3, 2008
Jean Crooker wrote:
I think having the nebulizer machine in schools is a great idea. Just because a child has ashtma does not mean he or she should be excluding from sports. As a mother of a child with asthma I feel it will only benifit our children. Are we not the same parents who complain that children spend to much time on the computer or on games. Let them get out and run around. Asthma can be controlled with the right equipment and medicine. Do you know that out olypimic teams have people with asthma? You would never know by looking at them. Yes an inhaler is great but sometimes it is just not good enough. The nebulizer will help the child and possibly prevent a hospital visit. Dr. Miller is my doctor and I back him up 110%. For those of yous who think it is a waste of time I hope to god your child dont have asthma and have an attack while they are playing a sport. Some parents dont even know there child has asthma they think the child is out of breath from to much running around. I am all for the machines being in every school and will back my doctor up all the way.
Fine, you pay for them.

Your disease, your problem.

I've had quite enough of picking up the tab for everyone else, while my kids go without.
Jean Crooker

Long Beach, NY

#9 Jun 3, 2008
If your child was a child with asthma and needed the machine you too would want the machine in your school. My son no longer goes to school but there are children in the school that need a machine and I would like to think that the machine would be there to save the childs life. Instead of just worrying about our own children or ourselves maybe we should start worrying about others. I dont understand how people only look out for themselves. I would like to think that if my child or someone elses child needed something to save their life the school would have it. Our children are the future without them there is no future and if the machine could save jsut one life it is worth it. For those of yous who think it is a waste of time I hope your child never gets asthma and needs a machine while they are in school cause it might not be there.
a few dollars more

Ramsey, NJ

#10 Jun 4, 2008
Jean Crooker wrote:
If your child was a child with asthma and needed the machine you too would want the machine in your school. My son no longer goes to school but there are children in the school that need a machine and I would like to think that the machine would be there to save the childs life. Instead of just worrying about our own children or ourselves maybe we should start worrying about others. I dont understand how people only look out for themselves. I would like to think that if my child or someone elses child needed something to save their life the school would have it. Our children are the future without them there is no future and if the machine could save jsut one life it is worth it. For those of yous who think it is a waste of time I hope your child never gets asthma and needs a machine while they are in school cause it might not be there.
Sorry for your troubles.

Everybody has troubles.

Will you be paying for mine?

If you want to know why your school taxes are so high, here is a perfect illustration. It is this type of thinking that has accumulated the highest school taxes in the country for all New Yorkers.

If these children are that ill, they don't belong in a public school. They belong in a place that specializes in individuals requiring this added level of care. Much cheaper to have a specialized school than to place this useless equipment in all schools.

Who will be giving these treatments? Last time I checked school nurses can't dispense medical care and use of a nebulizer is just that; medical care.

If certain children need this device, then the parents need to pick it up for them. If these children are so bad off, they should be in a care facility; not a public school.

I am so tired of hearing the whining parents of deficient children, looking for handouts. I didn't create the problem, look to your own genetics or environmental choices.

Time for everybody in this nation to pick up their own check. You all need to pull yourselves up by your own bootstraps and start living.

I can't afford the taxes I pay now, now you want to raise them even higher to pay for these devices just so that they'll be avaialble in those rare instances when a child might someday need them. Are you kidding me? My kids are not going to go hungry so that these kids can breath a little easier.

P.S.- Look at a Salt Pipes and Neti Pots for your troubles.

Death Race

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Jun 4, 2008
Jean Crooker wrote:
People who really need a nebulizer have their own machine. Your comment about people looking out for themselves hit the nail on the head. If the people who need a nebulizer looked out for themselves they would take the proper precautions and have theirs available when they need it.
Pandora Spock

West Babylon, NY

#12 Jun 4, 2008
just a few dollars more wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine, you pay for it all. Stop wasting my money on these mindless, pointless, useless pursuits.
After you make the world safe for everyone and save all of thes elives, are you going to be responsible for them? Are you going to take care of them for the remainder of the lifespan you provide them.
Let them ALL be culled from the gene pool as nature intended. if they want to live, they can take care of it themselves. There disease, illness, sickeness, their medical bill.
I am thinking your genetics are pretty weak by your poor command of the English language, inability to earn enough money to feed your kids, and the mean incendiary statements you have made. Have you considered limiting your family to the number you can support properly?
Pandora Spock

West Babylon, NY

#13 Jun 4, 2008
Death Race wrote:
<quoted text>
People who really need a nebulizer have their own machine. Your comment about people looking out for themselves hit the nail on the head. If the people who need a nebulizer looked out for themselves they would take the proper precautions and have theirs available when they need it.
Portable nebulizers are not usually approved by insurance companies. Only the electric ones seem to be approved by most insurance companies and that is what most asthmatics have .
concerned mother

Bayonne, NJ

#14 Jun 4, 2008
i truly feel this doctor has the right idea but it should be limited to one school district, it should be for all school districts on long island and ny state. my son has asthma and plays sports and all the schools and town leagues are not equiped to handle a full blown asthma attach. i have a portable nebulizer which i carry with me at all times and with the amount of money we pay to the school districts and youth leagues, trust me, they can afford a nebulizer for asthmatics...these simple machines save lives... where are town legistrators, congressmen, senators when we truly need them to act on getting such an important issue put into action.. i applaude this physician for pursueing this issue and wish there was a way to help get this into action.
thank you dr for making the public aware of this serious issue.
concerned mother

Bayonne, NJ

#15 Jun 4, 2008
correction to original posting. it should not be limited to only one school district.
as for insurance covering nebulizers, when it comes to school districts and youth leagues it doesn't make a difference. also, my portable nebulizer was covered by insurance.
concerned mother

Bayonne, NJ

#16 Jun 4, 2008
a few dollars more wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry for your troubles.
Everybody has troubles.
If you want to know why your school taxes are so high, here is a perfect illustration. It is this type of thinking that has accumulated the highest school taxes in the country for all New Yorkers.
If these children are that ill, they don't belong in a public school. They belong in a place that specializes in individuals requiring this added level of care. Much cheaper to have a specialized school than to place this useless equipment in all schools.
Who will be giving these treatments? Last time I checked school nurses can't dispense medical care and use of a nebulizer is just that; medical care.
If certain children need this device, then the parents need to pick it up for them. If these children are so bad off, they should be in a care facility; not a public school.
I am so tired of hearing the whining parents of deficient children, looking for handouts. I didn't create the problem, look to your own genetics or environmental choices.
Time for everybody in this nation to pick up their own check. You all need to pull yourselves up by your own bootstraps and start living.
I can't afford the taxes I pay now, now you want to raise them even higher to pay for these devices just so that they'll be avaialble in those rare instances when a child might someday need them. Are you kidding me? My kids are not going to go hungry so that these kids can breath a little easier.
you have got to be kidding me about your comments. i guess you do not have a child with asthma for the ridiculous remarks you made. they belong everywhere your child belongs except that at times they can't breath...may your child or yourself never experience a full blown asthma attack and may you never see your child gasp for air.. if you did, you would see why these machines are so important and since you are so uninformed on asthma, you would know that these machines are not expensive in a monatary sense but are worth millions when they save a life. it is a shame you are completely ignorate on this issue.
concerned mother

Bayonne, NJ

#17 Jun 4, 2008
Gary wrote:
IF these kids have such severe asthma that they need a nebulizer why arent they bringing their own? Why do our tax dollars have to pay for this?
my son has asthma and i do have my own portable nebulizer to use but if for some reason mine broke or for the families that can't afford one or for the child that got a sudden asthma attack at school or on a playing field that never had asthma before who suddenly can't breath these are just a few of the reasons we should have these machines available for us. if you child or a family member does not have asthma then you will never understand how severe this issue is...
concerned mother

Bayonne, NJ

#18 Jun 4, 2008
Gay Ramone wrote:
Great job, encourage kids with medical problems to engage in activities that will kill them.
from your remarks, i guess you don't know anyone with asthma. children with asthma can engaged in all activities as all other children but at times when there asthma is aggravated they need these machines. activity is good for children with asthma as long as you know the signs and symptoms they can lead normal lives so your remarks are completely out of hand. you should be praising this dr for trying to make a difference that would help kids..
concerned mother

Bayonne, NJ

#19 Jun 4, 2008
i am appauled at some of the comments that have appeared regarding this article. when most dr's don't give a damn and are only there for the money, this one is trying to make a huge difference for these kids and to see how people are commenting is very sad. they are put this issue in a $ sense and it should not be... you can not put a $ amount of saving a life... you people need to wake up and smell the coffee and stop being so selfish and cheap.
concerned parent

Bayonne, NJ

#20 Jun 4, 2008
a few dollars more wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry for your troubles.
Everybody has troubles.
You sound like the type of person who would witness an accident and keep going instead of helping.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Can exercise improve back pain (Aug '13) 2 min Emmy 67
News Drug addicts should be shown empathy (Sep '13) 4 hr Porter Aaron 183
Marijuana slows and stops cancer cells from spr... 4 hr Porter Aaron 1
watching wife get pregnant by another man (Jan '17) 4 hr Tommy 737 37
News Cigarettes and pot linked to teen psychosis 9 hr humanspirit 1
News Major shift as Trump opens way for Medicaid wor... 12 hr Sandra 129
News Dems Are Gambling 8.9 Million Children's Health... 16 hr Wildchild 1
More from around the web