Fact or Fiction: Debunking flu vaccin...

Fact or Fiction: Debunking flu vaccine myths

There are 16 comments on the WKBT story from Nov 17, 2013, titled Fact or Fiction: Debunking flu vaccine myths. In it, WKBT reports that:

As winter creeps closer, so does flu season. But while doctors say now is the time to get vaccinated, myths surrounding the flu shot stop some from doing just that.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKBT.

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#2 Nov 17, 2013
The flu shot is worthless, and why would I put extra medicine in my body unnecessarily?

Location hidden

#3 Nov 18, 2013
I love how all you folks "judge" these posts and yet arent capable of starting an intelligent discussion on the topic when you disagree.
ric99

Lincoln, UK

#4 Nov 18, 2013
Perhaps if mellabean had posted something that we could have an intelligent discussion about, there would have been more than just judgements. Merely stating that "the flu shot is worthless", without stating reasons for saying so is far from intelligent, and therefore not worthy of discussion.
UK TEABAG

Winnipeg, Canada

#5 Nov 18, 2013
ric99 wrote:
Perhaps if mellabean had posted something that we could have an intelligent discussion about, there would have been more than just judgements. Merely stating that "the flu shot is worthless", without stating reasons for saying so is far from intelligent, and therefore not worthy of discussion.
With you? Buh Wah Ha Ha....
UK TEABAG

Winnipeg, Canada

#6 Nov 18, 2013
mellabean wrote:
The flu shot is worthless, and why would I put extra medicine in my body unnecessarily?
Vaccines are miracle drugs with no side effects whatsoever and we'd all be dead wothout them. JUST KIDDING they maim and kill.

Location hidden

#7 Nov 18, 2013
ric99 wrote:
The flu shot is worthless
a)because it only covers the current strand of flu during that season when the flu strand is constantly mutating and changing
b)what most people think is them getting the flu is actually an intestinal virus whereas the flu infects the respiratory system as well as the intestinal track. people wonder why they still get sick after being vaccinated, well its because they dont have the actual flu virus, which is the only thing that shot will supposedly help you with.

And........go

Location hidden

#8 Nov 18, 2013
mellabean wrote:
<quoted text>
a)because it only covers the current strand of flu during that season when the flu strand is constantly mutating and changing
b)what most people think is them getting the flu is actually an intestinal virus whereas the flu infects the respiratory system as well as the intestinal track. people wonder why they still get sick after being vaccinated, well its because they dont have the actual flu virus, which is the only thing that shot will supposedly help you with.
And........go
http://www.healthsprout.com/johns-hopkins-sci...

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#9 Nov 18, 2013
The link quotes Dr. Blaylock many times and I found a few things right off the bat that it in itself was the same fear mongering he claimed about the flu, and of course was inaccurate.

The flu vaccine has nothing to do with autism.

Location hidden

#10 Nov 18, 2013
friend wrote:
The link quotes Dr. Blaylock many times and I found a few things right off the bat that it in itself was the same fear mongering he claimed about the flu, and of course was inaccurate.
The flu vaccine has nothing to do with autism.
I never said the flu vaccine has anything to do with autism, however it happened to be posted on this forum and I commented on it. They have nothing to do with one another. That doesnt negate the fact that the flu vaccine is virtually useless and has not made a significant difference in reducing the number of cases or deaths of those contracting the virus.

Tell me, do you take Tylenol for the hell of it or only as needed? why would you put more medicine in your body when its not doing anything? same thing with the flu shot.

fear mongering? please, explain exactly how he was fear mongering. I do not FEAR the vaccine like anti vaxxers fear vaxxes, I think it is illogical to add anything to your system that is not beneficial. cures for mumps, measles, rubella; totally for it. vaxxing against a stomach virus with a flu shot that most likely isnt fighting the precise strand it is (if it actually is influenza) makes no sense.
and what are these so called things you read right off the bat?

Location hidden

#11 Nov 18, 2013
Had you read the article, you'd realize no one said you had anything to do with the flu vaccine and autism. The article did, AKA Debunking flu vaccine myths.

Most anything Blaylock states is inaccurate and anyone who scams his book in your link has a motive. First inaccuracy: The flu vaccines for children do not contain thimerosal. However, many studies have been done on thimerosal, one from 2008 found mercury levels in infants' blood after vaccination with thimerosal-containing vaccines are 10 times lower -- and go away 10 times faster -- than if they'd received the same amount of methyl mercury.

Second is the claim about his claim its the cause of Alzheimer’s. The Alzheimer's Association itself discredits that claim. Of course Blaylock failed to mention deterministic genes directly cause a disease, guaranteeing that anyone who inherits them will develop the disorder. scientists have discovered variations that directly cause Alzheimer’s disease in the genes coding three proteins: amyloid precursor protein (APP), presenilin-1 (PS-1) and presenilin-2 (PS-2).

As for the flu vaccine, it's a personal choice that no one should be belittled for their choice of it either way. Either way, the myth about it's link to autism is debunked, which in fact is the point of the article and why it even landed in this forum to begin with.
IT FIGURES

Winnipeg, Canada

#12 Nov 19, 2013
friend wrote:
Had you read the article, you'd realize no one said you had anything to do with the flu vaccine and autism. The article did, AKA Debunking flu vaccine myths.
Most anything Blaylock states is inaccurate and anyone who scams his book in your link has a motive. First inaccuracy: The flu vaccines for children do not contain thimerosal. However, many studies have been done on thimerosal, one from 2008 found mercury levels in infants' blood after vaccination with thimerosal-containing vaccines are 10 times lower -- and go away 10 times faster -- than if they'd received the same amount of methyl mercury.
Second is the claim about his claim its the cause of Alzheimer’s. The Alzheimer's Association itself discredits that claim. Of course Blaylock failed to mention deterministic genes directly cause a disease, guaranteeing that anyone who inherits them will develop the disorder. scientists have discovered variations that directly cause Alzheimer’s disease in the genes coding three proteins: amyloid precursor protein (APP), presenilin-1 (PS-1) and presenilin-2 (PS-2).
As for the flu vaccine, it's a personal choice that no one should be belittled for their choice of it either way. Either way, the myth about it's link to autism is debunked, which in fact is the point of the article and why it even landed in this forum to begin with.
friend likes the word debunked, even though its not the equivalent of proof.

Location hidden

#13 Nov 19, 2013
friend wrote:
So, let me get this straight:
you took an entire article of information, who for the most part references Dr *DOSHI* not Blaylock, and discredit it because you dont like Blaylock, right?
I dont agree with Blaylock that it causes alzheimer's either, but that doesnt make anything of what Dr. Doshi said about the flu vaccine any less credible. As for the mercury, eating a piece of fish is more dangerous than getting a shot if we want to base it on what they say is harmful amounts for children. Agan we have a situation where it still does NOT negate the fact that the amount of mercury n an adult flu vaccine is a dangerous level.

Lastly, if you feel my having an opinion about flu shots is translated into belittling people then you need to grow thicker skin. I never attacked anyone specifically for getting the shot or not. I said it''s useless.
Question Mark

Winnipeg, Canada

#14 Nov 19, 2013

Location hidden

#16 Nov 19, 2013
The link you provided comes from a chiropractic website. Red flag number one. Any of the claims made by Doshi or Blaylock wasn't backed up with evidence. None. No big surprise there. And of all the adults who do choose to get the flu vaccine, there is no evidence of mass side effects from a dangerous level of thimerosal and besides that, any adult can ask for the thimerosal-free vaccine. The claim about narcolepsy and the H1N1 flu vaccine is also false. It was found that each person who experienced it was from a European country, and all carried the narcolepsy gene. The flu vaccines didn't cause narcolepsy. It was the trigger, but then so could had been the triiger if they all contracted the flu.

All of those inconsistencies and falsehoods alone discredits everything within that link.

And the scary link about the fluzone, any one can research that 13 of those children either had a family history of seizures or had seizures prior. 3 of the children had upper respiratory infection or gastrointestinal complaints on the day of vaccination. Not to say seizures aren't scary or serious, but all 36 children recovered with no adverse affects and those children amounted to a mere one percent after the flu vaccine however that percent and risk is far higher in children during any infection that causes a fever. The vaccine didn't cause the seizures.

The flu vaccine is a choice, and as long as the public wants that choice, there will be a vaccine and no amount of misinfo fear mongering sites will change the publics demandfor products.

Finally, not sure why anyone assumes statements are made directly to them. However,
mellabean wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me, do you take Tylenol for the hell of it or only as needed? why would you put more medicine in your body when its not doing anything? same thing with the flu shot.
One, it's none of your business and two, yes, you're judging and belittling choices of others without even knowing what their choice would be. I don't need to grow thicker skin, you need to learn better communication skills.
ric99

Lincoln, UK

#17 Nov 20, 2013
mellabean wrote:
<quoted text>
And........go
Of course the flu vaccine for a particular season is the correct one for the current flu strand. It would be pointless having a vaccine for a different strand that wasn't around that season. Flu vaccines don't mutate every few minutes.

You are also now claiming that the flu vaccine is worthless, because it is ineffective against non-flu viruses. Have you never considered that that is why it's called a flu vaccine?
Vaccines RUIN lives

Winnipeg, Canada

#22 Dec 6, 2013
ricDUH99 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course the flu vaccine for a particular season is the correct one for the current flu strand. It would be pointless having a vaccine for a different strand that wasn't around that season. Flu vaccines don't mutate every few minutes.
You are also now claiming that the flu vaccine is worthless, because it is ineffective against non-flu viruses. Have you never considered that that is why it's called a flu vaccine?
OH thanks DR DUH!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What is a urologist? What do urologists do? (Dec '14) 3 hr pailrider 32
News Why won't she talk? One mother's journey to fin... 3 hr friend 6
News Scientists Show Immune System for Some With Aut... 4 hr VACCINES AGAIN 1
News Anti-vaccine doctor behind 'dangerous' autism t... 4 hr VACCINES AGAIN 2
News Parents, autistic children must often cope alone 4 hr VACCINES AGAIN 2
News Should airports snuff out smoking rooms? 4 hr Pete 1
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 16 hr jess 6,470
More from around the web