Esophagus Spasm - How my mom STOPS he...

Esophagus Spasm - How my mom STOPS her Esophageal Spasm

Posted in the Health Forum

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Jools

Gévezé, France

#2 May 28, 2012
Little Linda Pinda wrote:
On my blog I posted how my mom stops her Esophageal Spasms IMMEDIATELY, what Esophagus Spasms are and who tends to get them. My mom really wanted me to share this simple idea to help people who suffer from this painful condition. She drinks lots of water without a breath. You can read more details here:
http://littlelindapinda.com/...
I wouldn't usually respond to something like this, but I just wanted to express my gratitude for your advice re dealing with esophageal spasm. I have just endured 2 weeks of agony, struggling to eat or drink anything without pain, sometimes quite severe pain. Yesterday evening I read your advice about drinking water without taking a breath and frankly I was sceptical, as drinking water was causing extreme pain. However, this morning I decided to give it a try, so I drank a large glass of water without breathing. Result, I was age to eat breakfast without any pain. I have repeated the process several times during the day and have experienced only minimal discomfort. If I were not away from home for a few weeks, I would have visited my GP and no doubt would have ended up on medication. This remedy is so simple I can hardly believe it. Of course, my improvement could be coincidence, but the rapid reduction in my pain has me convinced of the efficacy of the remedy. Thank you so much.
Thankful

Dunlap, TN

#3 Feb 15, 2013
I found ur post after receiving a call from my mother asking me to find anything online on her esophagal spasms. Her pain has been so bad that I have taken her to the ER bc she thought she was having a heart attack. I quickly called her and let her know I found ur post. After a few minutes the pain started leaving. Before it was completely gone it flared back up. She gulped the water again and before I got off phone with her the pain was almost completely gone! Thank you for being so generous and sharing your post.
Rebecca

Tuscaloosa, AL

#4 Mar 3, 2013
The water trick definitely works and so does this stretch I found on another discussion board....stretch you arm straight up in the air, bend your elbow and put your hand on the back of your neck, making sure to keep your bicep close/on your head. As if you were stretch your arm and running a sore neck. Make sure you do a real nice, deep stretch. :) hope this helps
NeNe

Rockwall, TX

#5 Jun 12, 2013
Just tried the arm stretch while having a spasm. IT WORKS!!! I use to pop nitro under the tongue but I wont be doing that anymore.
Mary Kaufman TX

Newton, TX

#6 Jun 17, 2013
I drink a few sips of diet coke. After a few seconds the food goes down. If I am eating Chinese food I order a diet coke and take a few drinks before I start eating.
katrina

London, UK

#10 Sep 14, 2013
my girlfriend is having a spasm now.. she tried the water and it keeps coming up.. any hints...
Michele

Portland, OR

#11 Sep 23, 2013
katrina wrote:
my girlfriend is having a spasm now.. she tried the water and it keeps coming up.. any hints...
I'm sorry I didn't see this at the time. For relief I drink a little bit of club soda. Small sips until a good burp. Don't hold the burp to be polite. I used Braggs raw apple cider vinegar and baking soda daily to get rid of it almost completely along with diet and lifestyle changes. Mostly raw food, no sugar, less stress, smaller bites, and thorough chewing. It's been 2 years since I've had a real spasm. A healthy Stomach PH is key.
Christine

Melbourne, Australia

#12 Sep 26, 2013
I cannot believe I have found this page. I already have heart disease, cardiomyopathy, and I have a defribulater/pacemaker installed, so of course when I got the symptoms of Esophagus spasms, I automatically thought Heart and so did the other doctors. I was able to discard the heart rhythm side of my heart disease as my device records them all, and they were fine, and I had an angiogram last Monday to make sure my plumbing was ok. It was. I also had esophageal cancer last year, and lost 2/3 of my esophagus and stomach. BUT that wasn't considered by my Docs to start with, and I am a bit relieved it wasn't as my heart has checked out fine. It is now established, through the process of elimination, that it is esophageal spasm, and co-incidentally I had the nitrate to put under my tongue due to my heart condition, so I was able to control it a bit. I also did a full deep breathing exercise and did relax completely. I also have a tablet that they gave me from oncology that I put under my tongue, it is normally for epilepsy, but it worked a treat with the spasm. It is specifically designed to relieve spasms. So I was fine, except for the fear that was there with the 'Episodes'. I am now going to try the suggestions on here, I havn't had one in 10 days, so obviously I am not as bad as a lot of you, but it is still pretty scary when they happen. I have had two episodes, with about 3 attacks in about as many hours on each occasion. This is only in the last few months, but feel very confident now that it is not my heart, and I at least will be able to cope now. Just out of interest does anyone else get light headed and sweaty, I am wondering if that is a stress response to what is happening. I get all the other symptoms, the jaw, shoulder, chest pain and the nausea described in the description of the syndrome. Anyway, have written a novel, but thank you all, I am so pleased to see a group that has similar experiences.
Kim

Arlington, TX

#13 Sep 26, 2013
Christine wrote:
I cannot believe I have found this page. I already have heart disease, cardiomyopathy, and I have a defribulater/pacemaker installed, so of course when I got the symptoms of Esophagus spasms, I automatically thought Heart and so did the other doctors. I was able to discard the heart rhythm side of my heart disease as my device records them all, and they were fine, and I had an angiogram last Monday to make sure my plumbing was ok. It was. I also had esophageal cancer last year, and lost 2/3 of my esophagus and stomach. BUT that wasn't considered by my Docs to start with, and I am a bit relieved it wasn't as my heart has checked out fine. It is now established, through the process of elimination, that it is esophageal spasm, and co-incidentally I had the nitrate to put under my tongue due to my heart condition, so I was able to control it a bit. I also did a full deep breathing exercise and did relax completely. I also have a tablet that they gave me from oncology that I put under my tongue, it is normally for epilepsy, but it worked a treat with the spasm. It is specifically designed to relieve spasms. So I was fine, except for the fear that was there with the 'Episodes'. I am now going to try the suggestions on here, I havn't had one in 10 days, so obviously I am not as bad as a lot of you, but it is still pretty scary when they happen. I have had two episodes, with about 3 attacks in about as many hours on each occasion. This is only in the last few months, but feel very confident now that it is not my heart, and I at least will be able to cope now. Just out of interest does anyone else get light headed and sweaty, I am wondering if that is a stress response to what is happening. I get all the other symptoms, the jaw, shoulder, chest pain and the nausea described in the description of the syndrome. Anyway, have written a novel, but thank you all, I am so pleased to see a group that has similar experiences.
Christine did the esophageal spasms feel just like heart palpitations ? I'm also wondering if the spasms can cause heart palps? I too get light headed and sweaty.
Christine

Melbourne, Australia

#14 Sep 26, 2013
I did get the palpitations, but I get them a lot anyway so I wasn't that worried about them. My device did not record anything serious, but then again it only records serious rythms above 180, but it does count other stuff like PVC's, or etopic beats, but not as they occur, it is only a 3 monthly figure. My doc feels that the spasms can interfere with the heart as all the nerves are in the same area. I see my surgeon on the 22 Oct, and I should get some answers from him. It all is so complicated so I will have to get it explained in simple terms. From what I have seen on the internet, there is not a lot of research done on these spasms, but I hope my surgeon knows a bit more. He does quite a few of my operation and he knows of the complications and problems that can occur. I know also that anxiety can bring on palpitations and sweats, and it is a big scary event when they happen. It won't be so bad now with a diagnosis, but I still feel it will be hard for me to stay calm, and I am sure I will get sweaty and have palpitations.
Christine

Melbourne, Australia

#15 Sep 26, 2013
Oh and Kim, I forgot to ask if you have had your heart checked, just in case it is something else.
Kim

Arlington, TX

#16 Sep 26, 2013
Yes I had stress test two years ago everything good , but haven't had angiogram though. Its comforting to know others having similar issues and not alone and not all in my head. Thanks for responding and best of luck when you see your surgeon.
Indria

Kokomo, IN

#17 Sep 26, 2013
I haven't been officially diagnosed by a specialist but my Dr say this is what I have . I and 32 years young and the pain is horrible. Can sleep eat drink. The pain does lighten a bit but it doesn't go away. How long is this suppose to last? I am going to try this water thing I hope it works.
Chris

Toronto, Canada

#18 Sep 30, 2013
I have been dealing with esophogeal spasms for years but they hit periodically. I'll try both the water and the stretch tips. Mine mostly happen at night, when I am asleep, I am awakened with an odd ache at the bottom of my ears and I know the spasms are starting. As awful as it sounds, I have found making myself burp has helped a lot - I have no idea why but it seems to gradually lessen the spasms. I also take over the counter muscle relaxants when the spasms start. It's weird - I can go for months with nothing and then, like last night, the spasms will start. There doesn't seem to be a trigger for the spasms and they can be very painful. I find it I catch them early (when my ears start aching), I can get them stopped pretty quickly. I would assume that my ears ache at the start of the spasm because of the muscle involvement. Good luck with getting the spasms under control.
Christine

Melbourne, Australia

#19 Oct 1, 2013
I notice that a lot of people are talking about feeling that they have a blockage etc. Now I don't want to scare anyone, but my oesophageal cancer was diagnosed because I had trouble swallowing, it hurt at the base of my oesophagus and my cancer was found at the join of my oesophagus and stomach. All I am saying is, be careful that you do not self diagnose these problems and that you get it checked out by a gut doctor. I had a gastroscopy and was diagnosed straight away. Well worth getting it checked out. It is a camera down your throat and can go into the stomach as well. Just a thought.
Chris

Toronto, Canada

#20 Oct 3, 2013
I previously posted on "Monday" - after seeing Christine's post I just wanted to add that my esophageal spasms were diagnosed in the emergency department at our local hospital. As I said, I don't have them often and because the bottoms of my ears hurt (due to muscle spasms) before I actually notice the esophageal spasms I am usually able to get the condition under control before it gets too painful.
Christine

Melbourne, Australia

#21 Oct 5, 2013
Chris, I didn't want to scare anyone, it is just that as it happened to me, I am inclined to want everyone to get a proper diagnosis of things like this. I am pretty sure I will be getting the camera down my throat after I see my surgeon, just to make sure what is causing this, or if he can do something to fix it.

I am finding I am taking my muscle relaxant and I have an angina spray and I am using them when I feel an attack coming on, I get nausea first. This is fixing it up before it progresses to far. Now I am aware of what is happening, I am finding that I am not getting the dizziness or the cold sweats, as I am not panicking when it happens. I still get all the other symptoms. I use Ativan under my tongue and it works pretty quickly. They started me on the Ativan whilst I was going through my 2nd lot of chemotherapy, but after my surgery, for the nausea, and it worked well then.

Anyway, will let you know after I see the surgeon what he has to say. Hopefully may get a tip for all of us.
Kellie

Auckland, New Zealand

#22 Oct 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your tips, i was diagnosed 3 months ago after what I thought was chest pains and ambo called, I was just having a spasm and did the arm stretch and water just to ease the pain and it's worked THANK YOU
Don

Farmington, CT

#23 Oct 13, 2013
Jools wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't usually respond to something like this, but I just wanted to express my gratitude for your advice re dealing with esophageal spasm. I have just endured 2 weeks of agony, struggling to eat or drink anything without pain, sometimes quite severe pain. Yesterday evening I read your advice about drinking water without taking a breath and frankly I was sceptical, as drinking water was causing extreme pain. However, this morning I decided to give it a try, so I drank a large glass of water without breathing. Result, I was age to eat breakfast without any pain. I have repeated the process several times during the day and have experienced only minimal discomfort. If I were not away from home for a few weeks, I would have visited my GP and no doubt would have ended up on medication. This remedy is so simple I can hardly believe it. Of course, my improvement could be coincidence, but the rapid reduction in my pain has me convinced of the efficacy of the remedy. Thank you so much.
So glad to have come across all this feedback on "episodes" which appear to be esophageal spasms. I have suffered numerous, very painful episodes since my surgery for esophageal cancer (stage 3) 2 years ago. No one, including my physicians were able to offer any effective remedy for these. The symptoms are always labeled as those of a severe heart attack. They are also severe,including muscular pain on both sides of my neck and behind my ears (like the awful ear aches I used to have as a child). In addition, I experience shortness of breath and chest pains, and my anxiety level goes way up. I have experimented with several possible solutions including muscle relaxants, Tums, Ativan or other anxiety meds. Just recently, my tai chi instructor recommended I try a position similar to the (down dog) maneuver in yoga. Start by getting down on all fours, then put your head down in front of you, with your butt as high as possible. While this is obviously counterintuitive, it has relieved my symptoms within two to five minutes at the most. Indeed, I begin to feel relief almost immediately. It works for me and I am especially excited about it because doesn't involve any meds or other chemicals.
Christine

Melbourne, Australia

#24 Oct 13, 2013
Oh Don, thank you, I am going to try that the next time I get an attack. Luckily I haven't had any for a few days so I may be getting relief. Tai Chi sounds fun and very relaxing, but I think I will go the Yoga path for myself. We don't really have a good class for tai chi where I live but lots of yoga groups. Thanks again for the tip.

I am seeing my surgeon on the 22nd, so maybe there may be something he can do, but if you didn't have success that way, then I may be a bit optimistic. But it is nice to know another person who has had the same operation is getting the same thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Study finds 20M would lose health coverage unde... 1 hr BabyDoll 69
News Smoking rates in England are the lowest on record 1 hr Spotted Girl 92
News This Calculator Shows How Much Money You'll Sav... 2 hr Sneaky Pete 1
News October is International Breast Cancer Awarenes... 2 hr Sneaky Pete 1
News Mom fears son will 'act up' 5 hr michellin966 1
Top Selling Skin Whitening Pills In Asia (Jul '14) 11 hr frederik 25
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 13 hr Lilly 6,953
Nudity at doctor's office (Mar '07) Sep 21 Goldwing 104
More from around the web