Why are we waging a war on wheat?

Oct 8, 2012 Full story: CBC News 144

An increasing number of books, blogs and celebrities have fingered wheat as the cause of a variety of conditions, from obesity to heart disease, as well as a host of digestive issues.

Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Gluten Intolerance

Winnipeg, Canada

#1 Oct 8, 2012
Its because its true.
JTF

Winnipeg, Canada

#2 Oct 9, 2012
I think that the gluten free thing is a passing fad...just like 'organic' but with much less participation.

It's a wonderful thing that gluten free is available though, for those that are allergic.

However, I do have great concerns with GMO and especially Monsanto and their research.

I've heard that today's wheat is nothing at all like it was 50 years ago....or even 25 years ago.

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

#3 Oct 9, 2012
I find it strange that after 4.5 billion years of nature getting the job done, WE think we can do better than nature.
Brilliant

Winnipeg, Canada

#4 Oct 9, 2012
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
I find it strange that after 4.5 billion years of nature getting the job done, WE think we can do better than nature.
Get all your vaccines?

Since: May 13

Kenosha, WI

#5 May 25, 2013
I'm not waging war against wheat. Wheat is waging war against me. Wheat causes an autoimmune response. When I eat wheat, rye or barley my body produces antibodies against my liver and my kidneys. My brother died of liver and kidney failure. Believe me If I could I'd continue to eat wheat. Wheat makes the best bread and the pizza crust is too die for. My brother just couldn't give it up. All celiac patients are different. The biochemical pathways are not well understood. But this is a real disease, not a fad. The most effective treatment at this time is dietary exclusion. They're are other more nontraditional treatments with varied results. I won't tell you what that is because it's so bizarre you'll think I'm making it up.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#8 May 26, 2013
Ahhh...that'll be the new and improved wheat I reckon. Call it Monsanto Wheat Allergy.
Eddy the Bruiser

Winnipeg, Canada

#9 May 26, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
Oh really?
Do you like corn (maize)? Oddly enough, before human intervention, ALL corn was utterly inedible to human beings.
In fact, most seeds we eat, with the notable exception of three grains, were inedible by humans until we modified them through either cross breeding or genetic manipulation.

So, you're hippy Bullshit means nothing. As usual.
Eddy the Bruiser

Winnipeg, Canada

#10 May 26, 2013
Sam in Kenosha wrote:
I won't tell you what that is because it's so bizarre you'll think I'm making it up.
Oh trust me Sam, we ALL know you're making this crap up.
And very few people are stupid enough to fall for it.

Kenosha, WI

#11 May 26, 2013
I'm willing to bet you don't believe in global warming or quantum mechanics either. I didn't know they had the Tea party in Canada.
So I guess infecting oneself with parasitic worms to treat the ailment would be beyond the pale.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#13 May 26, 2013
You lost me with the Tea Party shot.

Now you're just a left wing goof that believes that only you can possibly know the truth.

Kenosha, WI

#15 May 26, 2013
Ignorance is no way to live son. There is nothing wrong with getting an education.

Since: Mar 13

Winnipeg, Canada

#18 May 28, 2013
ALL of the opposition to GMO foods is not based in science. Without GMO foods we would not be able to eat fresh foods in winter.

Face it, 3.5 trillion meals served using GMO foods and not one single scientifically proven problem. When one believes in something like the anti-GMO crowd does that is not based in science, then that belief is faith-based.

In other words, anti-GMO is just another fad religion.

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 12

Tanner Flats

#19 May 28, 2013
Sam is an A hole wrote:
Ignorance is no way to live son. There is nothing wrong with getting an education.
So as usual, you progressive leftists have to throw out the 'Tea Party' label, when you're inferring someone is ignorant. One only has to look as far as the occupy movement, to see real ignorance and stupidity.
<-o

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#20 May 29, 2013
Pass the corn bread!
The Creator

Toronto, Canada

#23 Jun 6, 2013
PURELYCANADIAN wrote:
Pass the corn bread!
You mean pass the meth. Suey!

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 12

Tanner Flats

#24 Jun 6, 2013
The Cretin is Tinywood wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you use your registered screen name, paint huffing fry cook? <-o
MSG in VACCINES

Winnipeg, Canada

#26 Jun 7, 2013
JTF the original wrote:
Ahhh...that'll be the new and improved wheat I reckon. Call it Monsanto Wheat Allergy.
MSG a wheat derivative (salt) is in many vaccines likely as a preservative but possibly as an adjunvant too. ANYTHING injected into a human is unnatural and bypasses our normal, evolved immune system. Injection is an assault and the immune system goes into emergency response to ALL ingredients. It them has a memory of the event/ingredient and responds in emergency response from that day forward. Its why we have so many man made autoimmune illnesses and allergies.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#27 Jun 7, 2013
The Creator wrote:
<quoted text>
If ever I were ever so stupid to do the drug and asked someone to "pass the meth", it would never reach me anyway, since you and jasbinder, along with that tool Fact would finish it off before it ever got to me. Just as well....thank you!
Benny

Winnipeg, Canada

#29 Jun 7, 2013
MSG in VACCINES wrote:
<quoted text> MSG a wheat derivative (salt) is in many vaccines likely as a preservative but possibly as an adjunvant too. ANYTHING injected into a human is unnatural and bypasses our normal, evolved immune system. Injection is an assault and the immune system goes into emergency response to ALL ingredients. It them has a memory of the event/ingredient and responds in emergency response from that day forward. Its why we have so many man made autoimmune illnesses and allergies.
Seems logical
TrendyAttentionH ore

United States

#30 Sep 19, 2013
It's the new atkins. Another way fat women can blame something other than themselves for being fat, and now get attention / sympathy to boot.

They would be better served to make up a dairy allergy then to pretend to have celiac's disease. Wheat is healthy, dairy is bad for people and worse for the animals.

Time to fill my washboard stomach with a huge bowl of whole wheat pasta! Mmmmmm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Immigrants Social Security eligible in Obama plan 57 min icthelite 118
Petaluma City Council OKs tough smoking ban (Jan '13) 1 hr lukyvc 69
Medical marijuana (May '10) 1 hr big budz in kona 203
Why I take my daughter with me to the gynecologist 1 hr pailrider 3
Got Herpes? You're More Likely to Get HIV; CBCD... 3 hr kitdvs 3
11 Very Early Signs of Pregnancy (May '07) 5 hr shestri10 263
Propecia - Stops Hair Loss (Jan '10) 6 hr paigeford 51
Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) Thu Cece 6,016
More from around the web