The FDA approves generic Ambien

The FDA approves generic Ambien

There are 220 comments on the UPI story from Apr 27, 2007, titled The FDA approves generic Ambien. In it, UPI reports that:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the first generic versions of Ambien for the treatment of insomnia. via UPI

Join the discussion below, or Read more at UPI.

“-----10.24.07--- --”

Since: Oct 07

Asheville, NC

#117 Dec 3, 2007
How do you guys take this stuff anyway?? It makes my eyelids heavy, then I JUMP awake! It was like that all night when I was trying it. Anyway, I am now happily on something better and just wanted to comment on the post above.
The med I'm on now works the same way. I make sure I haven't ate anything for at LEAST 2 hours before taking it, then after it kicks in, I might have a healthy snack (usually fruit) if I have the bedtime munchies. I also chew it up if I want to go to sleep faster.

One more thing...Seems the FDA is passing lots of new drugs lately...Be careful of some of the side effects of some of them.- RESEARCH, then RESEARCH AGAIN! But most importantly talk to your Doctor and Pharmacist about any and all side effects! Thats what their there for :)
Faith

Rossford, OH

#118 Dec 4, 2007
This forum has truly been a God-send! Thought I was losing my mind. This will be night 6 of being off the poison Ambien. I stumbled upon this site 5 days ago. Nights 1 and 2 were full of demonically horrific night terrors. While on Ambien was deeply depressed, in grocery store and couldn't stop crying. In car and just lost it - crying out 'What's the Use???' Feeling so helpless and alone.

Sleepwalking. Sleep Eating. Waking Up Bruised and Bruised and Not Knowing Why. Unable to verbally complete a simple sentence. Looked into seeing a therapist - fully realizing I Needed Some Help! Had a headache that I couldn't shake for nearly 8 weeks. Thank God headaches have now stopped!

After the hellish dreams of night 1 - I Googled "Ambien Withdrawal" and found this site. Probably should not have stopped cold turkey - but there was no way I was going to put any more poison in my body.

I've read every posting. Thanks to each of you for sharing. You have given me hope. I have prayed specifically asking for no terrors and for restful sleep. The last 4 nights have been divine! Even though I woke up several times - I was able to get back to sleep.

Have isolated myself from friends and family. Have felt so alone - and even a stranger to myself. My own personal experience with Ambien has mirrored most of the postings.

Does anyone know of any online chats? I've surfed - and so far have come up dry.(No Pun Intended!)

The only way not to succeed is to quit - and go back to the poison. Is that really a choice? NOT!

It is so very encouraging to read success stories. Thanks to you all!

Prayer is a powerful tool.
sleep to dream

Lemon Grove, CA

#119 Dec 5, 2007
So the first night I took the Mylan brand of Zolpidem and thought it was taking a long time to kick in and wasn't working. After the first day I've adjusted my diet a little (I avoid fatty foods late in the day and try not to snack/eat anything 1hr prior to taking it). I also break the pill in half before taking it. It's worked like a charm since. So... I would like to retract my comment previously stating it wasn't working up to par!
sleepdeprived

AOL

#120 Dec 6, 2007
The caraco generic zolpidem is crap. It does not help me sleep (after using ambian on and off for 7 years) and sometimes it makes me feel really strange. It has even occured to me that these tabs are adulterated with something - maybe a cheaper type of sedative like a barbiturate which would account for the strange effects.

I am going back to brand name ambien, though I am not sure how I will swing the $150 a month for it.
C J W

Las Vegas, NV

#123 Dec 24, 2007
I thought I was weird: since being forced to change to the generic Ambien I only get about 4 hours of sleep a night, but with really mind-numbingly terrifying, bloody, violent nightmares. When I wake I find it very hard to return to sleep, feel groggy the next morning. The generic is definitely NOT working like the real Ambien. On the 'real' stuff 1/2 of a 10 mg Ambien would give me at last 6 hours good, restful sleep. With my rheumatoid arthritis, I have been unable to sleep without some sort of sleep aid for a very long time now.
Jackson

Sweden

#125 Dec 24, 2007
Also, I am wondering whether some distributing pharmacies are better than others on providing purer versions of Zolpidem.
Art

San Francisco, CA

#127 Dec 25, 2007
I hope no one buys from this SPAMMER.
LLA

San Jose, CA

#128 Dec 27, 2007
Lisa wrote:
I think that it has caused me to gain weight. Besides not getting good sleep anymore, I have not changed my diet but have gained about 10 pounds and cannot get it off!
I too have gained 40 pounds since taking the generic now that I think about it. I couldn't understand how I have been 110 all my life and now I'm 150. I thought it was my Lupus, then I thought it was my aging but that's a lot of weight..I've been taking it for almost 6 years and when they switched to the generic, now that I look back to the month, that's when I gained my weight..strange. But who can afford the hundreds for the real thing?
Rozerum

AOL

#130 Dec 28, 2007
I took Rozerum recenty and Abraham Lincoln talked my head off all night.
Anne

Cotuit, MA

#131 Dec 30, 2007
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else had this problem with generic ambien. I took it one night but didn't sleep well at all and woke up in the middle of the night with a headache. The next morning I had a really bad headache that was severe for a couple of days then died down but has never fully gone away. Strange thing is I never have been a person who gets headaches ever. I immediately stopped taking it but it is now 6 months later and I still have a chronic very lowgrade headache that kind of lies in wait for anything to provoke it. I also developed a stiffness in my neck shortly afterwards which is always there. Very strange. Just wondering if anyone else out there experienced such things.
Jason

Sweden

#132 Dec 30, 2007
I have been taking the stuff nightly for several weeks, and the only thing I can relate to is early awakening. Othet than that, I had no other unusual symptoms to speak of. I had very infrequent headaches before taking Ambien, but not once after starting taking it.
Melissa

Cartersville, GA

#133 Dec 30, 2007
I was recently prescribed Ambien 10 mg. My insurance only pays for generics. I had it filled at my local Rite-Aid about a week ago. It didn't seem to work. I just looked at the bottle and the pills don't match the description printed on the label. Has anyone taken an Ambien generic that has the imprint "APO 10" on a small, oblong tablet? The bottle says it should be made by Prasco Labs w/ an imprint of "ZM 10 5422".
spike

Hernando, FL

#134 Dec 30, 2007
i agree that the generic is different from name brand...it doesn't take affect as quickly, however, i found that if you take on empty stomach it works better.
Rumplestiltsken

United States

#135 Dec 31, 2007
The Dr Reddy version, which I just went to from the original takes many hours to work, and then I'm groggy half the day.

The original worked very fast and put me to sleep in what I can only describe as a "solid" manner. I always woke up refreshed and ready to go.

The people at Caremark claim to have never heard such a thing. Unfortunately my insurance wont pay, even with a large copay is a generic is available. What a scam. I will have to go to a different type of drug to get any releif.
mjo

AOL

#136 Jan 13, 2008
katmandu wrote:
Hi there,
Just a quick question. I was recently switched to the generic version of Ambien (Zolpidem), manufactured by Watson Labs. I have not yet taken the medication and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with this manufacturer's brand.
How does the generic compare to the name brand in terms of strength/potency, side effects, etc...? I've heard some bad experiences concerning the TEVA and Dr. Reddy's brands of generic Ambien... Thanks in advance.
The vers
The TEVA brand of generic does not work on
me. The Watson Labs brand was good, but now
I cannot find any pharmacy who carries it.
mjo

AOL

#137 Jan 13, 2008
I took the Brand Name Ambien until the generic
came out. I was given the Watson Labs generic
of Ambien which worked great, and had a score on
it, to cut if needed. Then, all of a sudden, it
disappeared and I was given a brand called Teva.
These pills do NOT work. Now, I was given a brand called Mylan, which does not work.
I am on the phone now to pharmacies to see who
caries Watson Labs Ambien.
Sleepy Eyes

United States

#138 Jan 15, 2008
Yes I have tried all 3 and this generic I am taking at night and it takes at least 3 hours to kick in and I wake up during the night and sometime will take another. I am definitely sticking to the real ambien vs generic. Glad to know it wasn't all in my head!!! Thanks for the shared info.
chronic insomniac

United States

#139 Jan 16, 2008
I've been a chronic insominac for 20 years. Recently I switched from Ambien to the generic to save money. After a couple of months, I am experiencing weird dreams, vertigo, dry mouth and headache. I'm trying to decide if it's the generic causing this? Anyone else?
JodyT

Brooklyn, NY

#140 Jan 29, 2008
Thanks everyone who bothered to post here. It has - ironically - been a reassuring read.

Fellow generic ambien sufferer - filthy headaches, not remotely a similar calming feeling before you conk out, feel awful the next day.

I've had a very limited (3 times a year) short term ambien prescription for several years for an off-label use, totally controlled by my doctor. It has been fine - and this week was the generic disaster. It's been ghastly.

Sympathy to you all - I've copied all these comments to my doctor, so maybe we can do something about this little by little.
carperdiem

United States

#142 Feb 13, 2008
Melissa wrote:
I was recently prescribed Ambien 10 mg. My insurance only pays for generics. I had it filled at my local Rite-Aid about a week ago. It didn't seem to work. I just looked at the bottle and the pills don't match the description printed on the label. Has anyone taken an Ambien generic that has the imprint "APO 10" on a small, oblong tablet? The bottle says it should be made by Prasco Labs w/ an imprint of "ZM 10 5422".
I have recently used the rite-aid brand Prasco. Recently they started carrying a new brand.It is is a white oblong pill that has APO on one side and 10 on the other.It seems to work as well as the Prasco brand which worked for me.
I found that if you chew the pill before swallowing and do not consume food atleast 2 hrs. before taking the pill, it will work much better. Lets face it, nothing works as well as the real Ambien. Sweet dreams.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Back popping 7 hr Charles 1
News Mosquitoes in 53 counties test positive for Wes... 22 hr Stu Pidaso 1
News Church accused of offering to 'cure homosexuali... Thu Gremlin 6
News Harbor-UCLA Medical Center cited for safety vio... (Oct '11) Thu Human 239
News Gauging the real risks and benefits of a medica... Thu Spiralight 1
News Governor signs bill making Oregon first to offe... Wed spytheweb 1
Morgellons - What I believe it really is (Oct '12) Wed Whysoserious 295
Nudity at doctor's office (Mar '07) Aug 12 2nd Time is a charm 211
More from around the web