Social Security plan could hurt the poor

Full story: San Bernardino County Sun

Raising the retirement age for Social Security would disproportionately hurt low-income workers and minorities, and increase disability claims by older people unable to work, government auditors told Congress.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Nov 24, 2010
jesse

Banning, CA

#1 Nov 21, 2010
another ss check is the father less brads that collect from their dead dad, let the mother work for her brads and is living with a new lazy man but won't marry him.
Piece of Work

Sherman Oaks, CA

#2 Nov 21, 2010
Bowles and Simpson are a piece of work. When they were in power they stole millions for themselves and their cronies. Together, they enjoyed a good life with hundred of thousands of dollars for their retirement without merit. Now, they want to punish and deprive the decent and hard working Americans whose money was stole by them.
Raising the age for SS is NOT the solution to fix the problem. The solution is to STOP the entitlement for anchor babies, illegal aliens and individuals that have contributed to the system.
Nonetheless, the democRATS use SS to maintain their voting base.
Keep voting and electing democRATS and you will see the SS spread among anchor babies, illegal aliens, drug addicts and criminals. By the time you retire, you will receive your SS check benefits in heaven, of course, if you do not elect democRATS... STOP THIS MADNESS!!!
U S Citizen

Pearland, TX

#3 Nov 21, 2010
I hear they'll be raising the retirement ago to 110.
Some Joe

Yucaipa, CA

#4 Nov 21, 2010
Don't forget the 12 million illegals, I wonder where that SSI money is going to come from. Plan on the retirement age bumped up to around 90.
drink the hivE

Orlando, FL

#5 Nov 21, 2010
Limitation Strictly Defined By Motivation...

“Retired ”

Since: Mar 09

Tucson, Az, El Paso Tx,

#6 Nov 21, 2010
Why is social security in danger? THE GOVERNMENT SPENT ALL THE MONEY ON OTHER PRIORITIES BESIDES TAKING CARE OF SENIORS. ANYONE PRESENTLY SERVING OR PAST MEMBER'S OF CONGRESS ARE GUILTY.
IF IT FAILS IN 2019 BLAME, THE ABOVE.
Deanna Adams

Chino Hills, CA

#7 Nov 21, 2010
I am appalled how the taxpayer was swindled in the bank bail out paying millions to CEO s. A pay freeze for social security and contemplating robbing the coffers by hi-jacking the social security age will not sit well with the American people who are anxiety-ridden and over-whelmed with stress. The aim is for the power center to subject the poor to such miserable condition that most wont reach 69. A bleak future for our grand-kids.

Personally, I am from the baby-booming generation who have lots of experience protesting, rebuking, and rebelling the establishment. We will kick your a---------- if you try to take a cent from our social security. We earned it. Hands off.

Since: Apr 10

Pomona, CA

#8 Nov 21, 2010
The fix is simple--increase the income cap to a reasonable level--say $500,000.

Pomona, CA

#9 Nov 21, 2010
Deanna Adams wrote:
I am appalled how the taxpayer was swindled in the bank bail out paying millions to CEO s. A pay freeze for social security and contemplating robbing the coffers by hi-jacking the social security age will not sit well with the American people who are anxiety-ridden and over-whelmed with stress. The aim is for the power center to subject the poor to such miserable condition that most wont reach 69. A bleak future for our grand-kids.
Personally, I am from the baby-booming generation who have lots of experience protesting, rebuking, and rebelling the establishment. We will kick your a---------- if you try to take a cent from our social security. We earned it. Hands off.
If you can take being appalled more than you are now, see the film, "Inside Job".
Joe moma

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#10 Nov 22, 2010
Deanna Adams wrote:
Hmmm, well the way I see it is that they might be forgetting "us" older generation still vote, as we increase in numbers that have come to rely on SS they will find themselves being voted out, doesn't matter what party their with. People of both parties are not immune to being disabled on the job and can no longer work....including me, who is going hire a person that had a double back surgery and is over 56.....
just candid

AOL

#11 Nov 22, 2010
Joe moma wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, well the way I see it is that they might be forgetting "us" older generation still vote, as we increase in numbers that have come to rely on SS they will find themselves being voted out, doesn't matter what party their with. People of both parties are not immune to being disabled on the job and can no longer work....including me, who is going hire a person that had a double back surgery and is over 56.....
Shame on you for becomeing disabled. You should know better!!!
As your new Republican leader, I feel your problems are up to you to take care of, and wish you a Mary Xmas, and all that nonsense.
Angela

United States

#12 Nov 22, 2010
jesse; utterly ignorant. First there is no such thing as a "fatherless child" every child has a father, no matter how feckless and rotten the father is. Second a child of parents that are unmarried has almost no chance of collecting Social Security benefits from their dead father. The child would have to have been proven to be the child of the father. As for the notion that children are not entitled to the benefits because their feckless father didn't marry the woman he had impregnated. That is the father and mother's fault. Hardly the child's fault. Your notion that because the parents have made stupid mistakes the child is a brat. Hmmm you sound like quite a piece of work to me.

“Peace”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#13 Nov 22, 2010
The "cat food for seniors" deficit commission is just that, a commission. Congress will have the responsibility to look at the reports of this commission besides another bazillion commissions advising Congress in order to act to keep the U.S.A. as a strong and healthy nation.

Changing Social Security insurance from a defined benefit to a defined contribution would require recipients to increase their copays and endure less care such as outpatient physical therapy etc. which is being planned now by Medicare.

Hospital admission for medical conditions is decreasing. If your doctor plans to admit you to a hospital, your medical condition is really serious and needs your cooperation to get healthy enough to stay alive. Stay healthy, keep your parents and grandparents healthy so that we have a strong healthy U.S.A.

Did you want to invite your parents and grandparents to live with you and let you pay for their medical care, despite the years they paid Social Security insurance for their retirement care?
Deanna Adams

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Nov 22, 2010
Joe moma wrote:
<quoted text>
Compassion is the golden rule because when you suffer I suffer
Deanna Adams

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Nov 22, 2010
the real SAW wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can take being appalled more than you are now, see the film, "Inside Job".
The film, "Inside Job," where is it playing?
Joe moma

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#16 Nov 22, 2010
Deanna Adams wrote:
<quoted text>
Compassion is the golden rule because when you suffer I suffer
I'd much rather be working, as it pays 2'3rds more and usually comes with health insurance and a better way of life.

“Retired ”

Since: Mar 09

Tucson, Az, El Paso Tx,

#17 Nov 23, 2010
Deanna Adams wrote:
Its too LATE we think, horse has left the barn.

La Verne, CA

#18 Nov 23, 2010
Deanna Adams wrote:
<quoted text>
The film, "Inside Job," where is it playing?
It is in very limited release. It is showing in one of the theaters at the Mills in Ontario this week. Several Laemmle theaters are showing it--it was in Claremont last week, but closed on Thursday.
Deanna Adams

Chino Hills, CA

#19 Nov 24, 2010
the real SAW wrote:
<quoted text>
It is in very limited release. It is showing in one of the theaters at the Mills in Ontario this week. Several Laemmle theaters are showing it--it was in Claremont last week, but closed on Thursday.
Good, I'll check it out. I'll look, listen, and ponder on the issues. Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to Enhance Prostate Health by Eating Proper... 4 hr Jennifer 1
postoperative pain of glandular cystitis patie... 4 hr lnxyw0414 1
Not all prostatitis patients are suitable for s... 4 hr lnxyw0414 1
Dick Cheney: Picking Sarah Palin for VP Was 'A ... (Aug '12) 5 hr swedenforever 18
Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 8 hr Ashleyyy6698 5,930
MMR Vaccine/Autism Revelation: Another "Tuskege... 8 hr friend 9
5 Little Known Facts About Smoking 9 hr Vaccines Cause Au... 3
Esophagus Spasm - How my mom STOPS her Esophage... (May '12) Sat Esther 122
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Health People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••