Migraines, Pregnancy, and Topamax: Ne...

Migraines, Pregnancy, and Topamax: New FDA Warning

There are 10 comments on the Drkoop.com story from Mar 6, 2011, titled Migraines, Pregnancy, and Topamax: New FDA Warning. In it, Drkoop.com reports that:

The FDA has issued new warnings about Topamax a medication sometimes used for Migraine and headache prevention.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Drkoop.com.

Maggie ONeil

AOL

#1 Mar 20, 2011
Topamax seems to have been the drug of choice for migraine prevention. I don't understand why side-effect prone prescription meds (and Topamax has it's fair share of undesirable side-effects)are prescribed FIRST for migraine sufferers instead of LAST. Safe non-prescription prevention supplements such as MigreLief have been around for years containing the right combination of 3 things listed in the Americna Cademy of Neurology's Evidence Based Guidelines for Migraine Prevention.(Magnesium (2 forms) High Dose Riboflavin, & Puracol Feverfew (proprietary to MigreLief)( www.MigreLief.com ) It is a well known, trusted OTC for migraine prevention. Some neurologists and headache professionals who are familar with MigreLief even use it to help patients cut back on the Topamax. If these patients were given their safe options first and not last, these kinds of tragedies wouldn't keep happening.
Marleen

Dublin, Ireland

#2 Mar 21, 2011
i used Migrelief and found it USELESS! maybe that is why neurologists prescibe topamax, because at that stage the patient has already tried all the over the counter stuff to treat and try and prevent migraines.
i've been taking topamax for 2 months now and have hardly any side effects, only appetite suppresion (not so desired) and some tingling in my feet every now and then. my neurologist also had me have a IUD fitted before he started prescribing the topamax to make sure i wouldn't get pregnant (i already have 3 kids anyway so makes no odds to me).
but when i saw the title of your post i thought that you'd have some NEW info on topamax, when in fact you're just ranting and trying to promote an over the counter medicine to people who've tried everything else to no avail, before forking out a heap of money for a neurologist...
Kalani

Encinitas, CA

#3 Mar 21, 2011
Marleen wrote:
i used Migrelief and found it USELESS! maybe that is why neurologists prescibe topamax, because at that stage the patient has already tried all the over the counter stuff to treat and try and prevent migraines.
i've been taking topamax for 2 months now and have hardly any side effects, only appetite suppresion (not so desired) and some tingling in my feet every now and then. my neurologist also had me have a IUD fitted before he started prescribing the topamax to make sure i wouldn't get pregnant (i already have 3 kids anyway so makes no odds to me).
but when i saw the title of your post i thought that you'd have some NEW info on topamax, when in fact you're just ranting and trying to promote an over the counter medicine to people who've tried everything else to no avail, before forking out a heap of money for a neurologist...
Hi I've been on Topamax for 2 years now it helped my migranes a little my appetite has come back tho after a year I just wish they could find a cure for migranes and why they happen I have even tried botox shots and there not 100% Hope your doing better taking the topamax. I'm sure that the dr informed you that you should not stop takig the medication without him knowing. I went off of it because I knew that I was going in for my appt. and I was sure he was going to change my prescription so I didn't want to pay the money to get a new one for 4 days well I went off he got so mad! Apparently when you stop that fast you can have a seizure well I didn't know that thank god it didn't happen hope all is well
Jamey Riter

Torrance, CA

#5 Jul 15, 2011
This FDA warning is especially targeted on women who are pregnant or planning to have a child. This is because the FDA has found out that it is considered a teratogen and can cause birth palate on children. In fact, legal considerations are being looked into for this reason. You look into it yourself by reading this source that I found about topamax birth defects and lawsuits:

http://www.topamaxbirthdefectlaw.com/
Betty Bennett

Torrance, CA

#6 Aug 3, 2011
The new FDA warning is hinge on a new data from the North American Antiepileptic Drug Pregnancy Registry which showed that pregnant women taking Topamax are putting their unborn infants in an increased risk for cleft lip or palate. Topamax, before studies linked it to birth defects, has been very effective in preventing certain types of migraine headaches, at least in most cases. It is just unfortunate, that it has a different effect on pregnant women. Learn more about it here: http://www.topamaxbirthdefectlaw.com/topamax-...
Donald Fitzgerald

France

#8 Feb 4, 2013
I have ordered prescription drugs (without a prescription) online from http://inhousegeneric.info about two years ago, and was pleased with the speed and quality of service.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my medication. The meds is expensive, but there is a generic version available overseas.
I love the idea of taking responsibility for my own health (or lack of health) and skipping the bureaucracy... to say nothing of having to drive to the doctor, wait in line, yet again, to get a prescription refilled.
Atcheson

Sweden

#9 Apr 19, 2013
i wrote:
I have ordered prescription drugs (without a prescription) online from http://inhousegeneric.info about two years ago, and was pleased with the speed and quality of service.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my medication. The meds is expensive, but there is a generic version available overseas.
I love the idea of taking responsibility for my own health (or lack of health) and skipping the bureaucracy... to say nothing of having to drive to the doctor, wait in line, yet again, to get a prescription refilled.
http://inhousegeneric.info very clear and informative site, simple ordering process and very fast delivery. All round excellent service - will use again.
Ronnie

San Cristóbal De Las Casas, Mexico

#10 May 30, 2013
I have used http://qgeneric.info/#zfbs for about 3 years and find their products to be reliable and speedily delivered. The Support team are very promt and helpful in solving any issues that arise,caused by my errors not the company's. I was a little sceptical initially about buying generic products rather than brand names. However, the Mens' Health products I have bought have been equally as efficatious as the brand names at a fraction of the cost.
Korey

UAE

#12 Aug 17, 2013
Naturally, I am skeptical of everything online. http://inhousegeneric.com is legitimate. I placed my first order for the smallest amount possible. It arrived sooner than expected. I didn't pay the extra money for speedy air mail. I placed another order that was much larger and it came right on time. I will definitely use this company again for even larger orders now that I trust them. They also give you discounts every time you place an order which is cool. One thing to keep in mind is if you place a larger order, they will send half in one shipment, and then the other half after that to avoid customs scrutinizing your package. I am very happy, I no longer need to pay tons of money to see a doctor and therapist (and have them tell me a bunch of stuff I already know) in order to get my medication.
Julia Slater

Palmdale, CA

#13 Sep 6, 2013
MigreLief (non-prescription supplement of magnesium, riboflavin and feverfew) worked gret for me when it came to battling Topamax side-effects. I can't believe how long I lived with the dopey feeling, thinning hair etc.(I drew the line at hair loss.) My doctor prescribed MigreLief to wean me off Topamax and now I just take the MigreLief like a vitamin, twice a day. If I run out of it, I run down to CVS Pharmacy (it's next to the Excedrin Migraine) however, it is much cheaper to by from the manufacturer - Migrelief.com My pharmacist told me to give it to my daughter daily as well to nip her migraines in the bud as tney were becoming chronic as well. Now we rarely get a migraine, but if we do, we take an Advil and that's it. My neurologist was the one who first gave me a sample of MigreLief to use with Topamax. The other good advice I got was to drink plenty of water.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why norovirus is such a menace (Feb '14) 2 hr AIPAC 666 60
News Can you legitimately be addicted to a certain f... 3 hr hello 1
News Experts recommend several measures to reduce fi... 4 hr FormerParatrooper 3
News The danger of carrying excess belly fat (Sep '13) 8 hr Rhat ali 3
Foods That Burn Fat (Sep '13) 8 hr Mahmudur Rahman 3
Laser Hair Removal Clinic Chandigarh (Jul '12) 9 hr Mahmudur Rahman 4
B-12 and Lipotropic Injections for Weight Loss (Jun '06) 11 hr Mahmudur Rahman 4,727
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 11 hr GucciPrincesss 6,884
Nudity at doctor's office (Mar '07) Jul 26 james 93
More from around the web