Warnings over asthma meds

Warnings over asthma meds

There are 51 comments on the FreeMarketNews.com story from May 22, 2006, titled Warnings over asthma meds. In it, FreeMarketNews.com reports that:

Advair Diskus, Foradil Aerolizer and Serevent Diskus may increase the risk of severe asthma episodes."> WARNINGS OVER ASTHMA MEDS Monday, May 22, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com The US Food and Drug Administration ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at FreeMarketNews.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jaec

Sterling, VA

#1 Jun 15, 2006
I was hospitalized because of a severe asthma attack/asthmatic bronchitis May 5, a few months after I started using Foradil aerolizer. I have used standard asthma maintenance meds, including Advair, for years, and have had asthma and asthmatic bronchitis since childhood, but this was the first hospitalization for asthma, and the first ER visitf or asthma in over 20 years. I will be discussing continued use of Foradil with my doctor
anna frediani

Santa Rosa, CA

#3 Oct 5, 2006
Hi. My son (30) has had severe asthma since he was 4 yrs old (inherited) It tapered of in the last 10yrs. but he still need his inhalers daily and just about 6 mo. ago stopped his theodur. now his Reg Dr. has put him on a steroid inhaler that he is supposed to us 2x day but he need it more tham that. Found out that his body is full of sores now bleding from scratching. I'm not sure about the name ,but it starts with a A.
I thought steroid inhalers are to be taken only for a couple a days like (5) and have to be tapere'd off to stop. What is with these Dr's?
johan davis

Mauritius

#4 Oct 19, 2006
is it true that seroids inhalers are leading someone to scraching?... because i use to scrach myself all day.. and since i am asthmatic since i am young and i took all type of steroids like [url=http://www.netdoctor.co.u k/medicines/100000237.html]bec otide[/url]
Scratching

Salt Lake City, UT

#5 Nov 16, 2006
Oh my gosh! I used to feel like my insides itched like crazy in the rib area and my back. I'd scratch and scratch till I bled. I thought I must be insane or something
judy sullivan

Nashville, TN

#6 Nov 17, 2006
Just started Advair -- has helped breathing but when I lie down to sleep I have moderate to severe chest pain that lasts for 2-3 hours. I take my evening treatment at 6:30 p.m.-- will the chest pains subside in time? Have only been on Advair for 3 days.
Meralu

Panama City, FL

#7 Nov 30, 2006
Do you know what you are allergic to? For some it is something you are eating that you might never think of.
Jaec wrote:
I was hospitalized because of a severe asthma attack/asthmatic bronchitis May 5, a few months after I started using Foradil aerolizer. I have used standard asthma maintenance meds, including Advair, for years, and have had asthma and asthmatic bronchitis since childhood, but this was the first hospitalization for asthma, and the first ER visitf or asthma in over 20 years. I will be discussing continued use of Foradil with my doctor
robin

Torrington, CT

#8 Dec 8, 2006
anna frediani wrote:
Hi. My son (30) has had severe asthma since he was 4 yrs old (inherited) It tapered of in the last 10yrs. but he still need his inhalers daily and just about 6 mo. ago stopped his theodur. now his Reg Dr. has put him on a steroid inhaler that he is supposed to us 2x day but he need it more tham that. Found out that his body is full of sores now bleding from scratching. I'm not sure about the name ,but it starts with a A.
I thought steroid inhalers are to be taken only for a couple a days like (5) and have to be tapere'd off to stop. What is with these Dr's?
You need to educate yourself about these medicines. Asthma is a serious disease that can lead to death. You are totally misinformed. Inhaled corticosteroids are NOT AS NEEDED medicines. Inhaled steroids treat the underlying inflammation of asthma and need to be taken as directed (NOT MORE) for as long as directed. Your child should have a rescue inhaler (Albuturol) to take as needed but no more than 4X a day - these medicines open the airways. If the underlying inflammation is not addressed than asthma can get worse, much worse. If he is using albuturol more than a few times a week and on the inhaled steroids than he may need combination therapy (ADVAIR) IF TAKEN MORE THAN DIRECTED THESE MEDICINES CAN DO HARM -- NOTHING IS WRONG WITH YOUR DOCTOR, YOU ARE NOT LISTENING!!
john

Clear Spring, MD

#9 Dec 19, 2006
There are a number of conditions that can cause itching. Atopic dermatitus is one of them and is an autoimmune disease as is asthma. It is not uncommon for the two to present in a patient. Steroid cream is the usual treatment. Steroid inhalers dont cause scratching.
Randi

Astoria, NY

#10 Dec 23, 2006
I hear there is a new non steriod asthma medicine. I believe it starts with the letter "s". Does anyone know the name of this new medicine?
Rowe

Hereford, AZ

#11 Dec 31, 2006
Randi wrote:
I hear there is a new non steriod asthma medicine. I believe it starts with the letter "s". Does anyone know the name of this new medicine?
I believe the med you're thinking of is Spireva. I take it as well as Advair 250/50. I can't really attest to its effectiveness as I have never used it by itself.
Margarete

London, UK

#12 Feb 3, 2007
Cutting down on salt/sodium intake can lessen the severity of asthma, and this of course entails no cost and no drugs, so you may find it is worth a try.

There are many other health benefits too, from eating less salt, especially if you have ever taken prescribed steroids.

See my website www.wildeaboutsteroids.co.uk
(The site does not sell anything and has no banners or sponsors or
adverts - just helpful information.)
C D H

Monroe, NC

#13 Feb 20, 2007
I took ADVAIR for awhile. It did the trick, 2 weeks after starting I developed mouth ulcers, My Dr.said the steroid in the Advair caused it. Switched to Serevent and low dose Flovent. Working great.
bigcreekweezie

AOL

#14 Mar 6, 2007
my dad has been on advair for a long time and he keeps getting pnmonia in his lungs could this be the cause
bigcreekweezie

AOL

#15 Mar 6, 2007
so it is safe to take advair more than 6 months or longer
bigcreekweezie

AOL

#16 Mar 6, 2007
is it safe to take advair longer than 6 months
Imran Abdool

Vacoas, Mauritius

#17 Mar 8, 2007
Please visit my website:www.elixirherbals.com for herbal products which will definitely improve your condition and eventually cure it in mist cases.
Good luck.
Jaec wrote:
Annika

Roscommon, MI

#18 Mar 8, 2007
Singulair is another...

Annika
Annika

Roscommon, MI

#19 Mar 8, 2007
They warned us about the mouth sores, "THRUSH" is the name. You were supposed to spit or brush teeth after every time.

Annika
serratia333

Fremont, CA

#20 Mar 14, 2007
I'm a 34 yr. old female and have had severe asthma(including lung failure @ 18)since the age of 3.
I'm reading these comments and to be honest, I'm very disturbed.
I've always been sick (I'm the person that will have every possible side effect, etc.) and have always been very connected to my body and very proactive in learning everything possible about every condition and medicine I have ever had/taken.
IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO DO RESEARCH! A lot of these comments left can be answered very easily, like READ THE DIRECTIONS OF YOUR PRESCIPTIONS...Advair states "rinse mouth after inhalation" and take "ONE PUFF ONCE A DAY". There are no other doses available. For God's sake, why would anyone take more than prescribed? If we can't follow the directions perhaps we shouldn't take the medicine!
It infuriates me! Advair is a STERIOD!
As for the rash...I had a rash, inflammation and itching to the point that I would bleed and give myself horrible bruises from my nails. VERY IMPORTANT...this is not from the advair. People with asthma are prone to all allergies including skin allergies. This is completely normal (although it sucks). Most asthmatics do not realize this as I didn't until about 8 months ago. What you have developed is eczema. My doctor (who is amazing) knew as soon as I finally saw him. I suffered so long by waiting to make an appointment. I too thought I was going crazy. I was very embarrassed. He prescribed me with a steroid cream (triamcinolone acetonide-you have to be careful w/this) and pills which I only have to take when it flares up (hydroxyzine).
Once you have eczema it never goes away. By this, I mean if your aren't having an outbreak, it will be an underlying condition. If you'll notice, you will be more itchy in humid weather. The sun can bring it out as well as some soaps, etc. Read up on eczema AFTER you see your doctor. There is relief, I promise.
As for advair...I've done the research. Any steroid is dangerous if used continually for too long. This bums me out because I view advair as a miracle drug. I went from using my emergency inhaler about 12 x's a day to 2 x's every three months. I feel like I don't even have asthma anymore!
For those of you taking THEODUR/THEOPHYLINE, get off of it ASAP! It can easily cause heart attacks/heart damage. I know this because when I had lung failure I also had a heart attack. I was taking theodur.
I currently take singulair and advair regularly and feel great!
Good luck!
mom to 4 asthmatics

United States

#21 Jun 8, 2007
It is very crucial to understand the directions of each med you are prescribed using prevention meds as rescue meds will quickly get you into trouble and cause bad side effects .More is not better with steroids be sure you understand everything you put in your body if you dont understand ask your dr to help you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What to Do if You Get Scabies 13 hr sdcsteve 3
News In Las Vegas and U.S., undocumented bear brunt ... 15 hr Faith 2
News Undocumented Workers Contribute Billions to SSI... 17 hr inzeemojomix 79
News This is Ohio's drunkest city Wed They cannot kill ... 3
News the Smoke-free trend (Nov '06) Wed Loving life 176
watching wife get pregnant by another man (Jan '17) Wed Abullinconnecticut 25
News Napping on the job may turn out to be a very go... Wed zzzzzzz 2
More from around the web