Common questions about the Engle Trus...

Common questions about the Engle Trust Fund

There are 57058 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Apr 21, 2008, titled Common questions about the Engle Trust Fund. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Where did the $600 million come from? Three of the five tobacco companies in the landmark Engle vs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

rita

Marion, KY

#14734 Dec 3, 2008
hi
Sherlock

Hialeah, FL

#14735 Dec 3, 2008
Sandy wrote:
I just spoke with GCG I was informed they are still curing thousands of claims and very time consuming delving through all of the documents. The person I spoke with refused to comment about the problems now facing all of us.
Oh, this is good news. This explains the Extension more than anything else.
alexander

North Miami Beach, FL

#14736 Dec 3, 2008
Sandy wrote:
I just spoke with GCG I was informed they are still curing thousands of claims and very time consuming delving through all of the documents. The person I spoke with refused to comment about the problems now facing all of us.
Did they say that was the reason for the extension until 1/9. It seems that they must have gotten a lot of people that tried to cure by Nov 17th.
Sherlock

Hialeah, FL

#14737 Dec 3, 2008
AL Ft Myers wrote:
Brian right from the beginning you were concerned with IRS, it looks like you had reason to be. It appears now we are near the end of the long road. Bah was right about the issuing of the 1st check, I also would have liked there to be just the 1. However, that being said if the 2nd check comes after the 1st of the year it will be a break on the reporting of the income.
I don't think it will make any difference what year we get the income. Billy Shield's article made it pretty clear that the DOJ is seeking a global settlement for both IRS and Medicare so the money will come out of the ETF before final checks go out. Since we have not heard of a settlement with the DOJ yet, this is probably additional reason for the Extension.
Someone

Miami, FL

#14738 Dec 3, 2008
BAH wrote:
<quoted text>
Elena,
It is my Post #14433
It took me this long to go back and find that thing I posted on here. Feel free to adapt it in any way you see fit.
It is a starting point for you...
If you intend to file something with the Court be sure to include Name of Case and Docket Number on whatever you file and be sure to sign and date what you file with the court.
Thank you and Nancy for taking action!
Bah,

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to look up your post. With your guidance I feel more confident writing the motion. I will make sure all the info you mentioned is on the motion.

On behalf of Scoutey (she's gone home) and myself, you do not have to thank us for taking action. It is the least we can do after you, Aaacorn and others have spent so many months helping, answering and reassuring everyone on this forum. Thank you! Although some people here do not appreciate your help, 99.99999% of us do.

Although I have only posted three or four times, I am very well acquainted with the forum and the persons posting. Before I had my computer, Scoutey would call me on the phone and read, if not all, almost all, of the posts. When she told me what was happening with these attorneys I couldn't believe it. I wasn't feeling well (I have COPD too, from second hand smoking) She came over dragged me to the computer and after reading I still couldn't believe it. So that is when we decided to take acion.

Tomorrow we will be going to the Court and filing three addiition objections (hope I do it right). Scoutey for her mom and I for my mom and another for my dad. Hope others do the same, expecially if you are in the Miami area.

OK enough babbling....wish us luck tomorrow.

With sincere best wishes to all,

Elena (Someone)

PS Please forgive me if I have any typos or mispelled words, it was one of my seven, yes BAH seven, cats, not me!:)
hoping

Fort Myers, FL

#14739 Dec 3, 2008
I hope everyone had a good day.
Jay

Hollywood, FL

#14740 Dec 3, 2008
Hello Everyone,
I'm very new to this forum. I am trying to find out more about what is going on with the Trust Fund. I received the first distribution Oct 5th with no problem. I submitted the claim myself, which was easy with all of the health issues I have had. Would anyone like to catch me up on when or if there is an anticipated 2nd distribution, and if so, when?
Thanks
BAH

Daytona Beach, FL

#14741 Dec 3, 2008
Someone wrote:
<quoted text>
Bah,
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to look up your post. With your guidance I feel more confident writing the motion. I will make sure all the info you mentioned is on the motion.
On behalf of Scoutey (she's gone home) and myself, you do not have to thank us for taking action. It is the least we can do after you, Aaacorn and others have spent so many months helping, answering and reassuring everyone on this forum. Thank you! Although some people here do not appreciate your help, 99.99999% of us do.
Although I have only posted three or four times, I am very well acquainted with the forum and the persons posting. Before I had my computer, Scoutey would call me on the phone and read, if not all, almost all, of the posts. When she told me what was happening with these attorneys I couldn't believe it. I wasn't feeling well (I have COPD too, from second hand smoking) She came over dragged me to the computer and after reading I still couldn't believe it. So that is when we decided to take acion.
Tomorrow we will be going to the Court and filing three addiition objections (hope I do it right). Scoutey for her mom and I for my mom and another for my dad. Hope others do the same, expecially if you are in the Miami area.
OK enough babbling....wish us luck tomorrow.
With sincere best wishes to all,
Elena (Someone)
PS Please forgive me if I have any typos or mispelled words, it was one of my seven, yes BAH seven, cats, not me!:)
I know you will do just fine...

Don't be nervous. The Courthouse is there to serve you and every other citizen. They will help you every way they can. You are not expected to be an "expert."

“someones neighbor”

Since: Dec 06

Ft Lauderdale

#14742 Dec 3, 2008
KathrynFL wrote:
Here's the latest e-mail I got from the Engle Trust Fund regarding issues:
"Please note that the Trustee of The Engle Trust is not aware of any actual or potential liens that any source, including Medicare, may have against the Engle Trust Fund. The position of the Trust is that any such liens if subsequently asserted against any of the equal disbursements to former class members would be based on a misunderstanding of the origin and unique nature of the Engle Trust Fund.
The Trust Fund was established through a payment by former defendants for the guarantee of an extended stay of the class-wide punitive damages judgment [assuming punitive damages were affirmed], beyond defendants' automatic statutory stay through review in the Third District Court of Appeal of Florida. Class-wide punitive damages were vacated and never reinstated. The Engle Trust Fund (formally known as the Engle Guaranteed Sum) was never intended to be and is not compensation for any former class member who is a beneficiary of the Fund, and is not compensation for pain and or suffering or reimbursement for medical expenses or compensation of any kind.
Former Class members retain their full claims for compensatory damages (and punitive damages) against all defendants in the underlying Engle class action, under the condition (one year to file suit) set forth in the Opinion of the Florida Supreme Court. The separate individual lawsuits are distinct from the Engle Trust Fund. Attorneys representing former class members are welcome to make their own analysis of the issues and reach their own determination based on the undisputed origin of the Fund.
Please note that the tax treatment of any distribution will vary based upon the individual circumstances and tax status of each Claimant. Accordingly, the Trustee and the Claims Administrator are not able to determine the appropriate tax reporting for any Claimant.
You should consult with your tax advisor (as it appears you have) to determine the tax consequences, if any, that a distribution of the Engle Trust Fund may have to you."
Kathryn,thats been on the engle trust website for quite some time.
jose at the beach

Jacksonville, FL

#14743 Dec 3, 2008
I am still awaiting the return call from Engle Trust, Lance Blair, he promised he would call me today! I am still waiting....I have given them the evidence, also I am working with an attorney (?), not sitting talking, am doing! Will advise ...
wwsusan

United States

#14744 Dec 3, 2008
well i called [email protected] once yesterday and twice today. left messages and never got called back. now tommorow i will call 10 times if i have to. i feel i need answers. at 40 percent i feel i am entitled.
wwsusan
scoutey

Miami, FL

#14745 Dec 3, 2008
Bah, Thank you so very much for going back and finding your letter for Elena and myself. We will both use it and bring it to the courthouse tomorrow. i know how time consuming that is because I've tried to retrieve some past posts myself.Not only is it time consuming,but for me its a good source of frustration as I'm light in the patience department. Again deep thanks for your help. have a good nights rest.
Nancy a.k.a.Scoutey
Pete

Pompano Beach, FL

#14747 Dec 3, 2008
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
My moms atttorney toook 20% and $5.34 for postage and thats it. I can't see $300.
Marks post shows that not every Lawyer needed to charge 33 1/3 percent plus cost.

20 percent of 9000.00 is 1,800.00 with 20 percent more to come if there is a second payment.

That is still a lot to pay but it is a lot better than 33 1/3 percent.
pat

Gainesville, FL

#14748 Dec 3, 2008
Sandy wrote:
When I spoke with GCG a few days ago I asked how many claims had gone to the Trustee and they told me that they are not allowed to give out that info.
Anita

Spring Hill, FL

#14749 Dec 3, 2008
AAACORN wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you've decided to contact me...LOL Never said proof...said needed to be looked into, needed to be investigated...big difference, thanks for learning. Yep...totally worthless to you...don't know what to do with information...but sure know how to bitch a fit. What would you do if something where to be done, you won't know if it was something I did or not.....LOL Sit back, relax until your mad about something else. This will all go away. Jeez...I think some foam came off you posting.
Oh AAAcorn, you give yourself so much credit/ what would everyone do without you. You are the lAST person to talk about fits on here. You have thrown many yourself & most everyone on here knows it. You get pissed, leave, change names & IP address, come back, change names again. You should be ashamed of yourself for sucking in all these sick elderly people. Bottom line is, I don't like you, never have, never will, not that that matters at all, but I think you are full of crap & most people can see right through you if they have been around for awhile, "clarabell". Your rants have been just as bad as mine so just quit trying to fool everyone here. For the people that don't believe me, go back & read some of his posts. He just loves stirring up crap & blaming it on others.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#14750 Dec 3, 2008
AL Ft Myers wrote:
Brian right from the beginning you were concerned with IRS, it looks like you had reason to be. It appears now we are near the end of the long road. Bah was right about the issuing of the 1st check, I also would have liked there to be just the 1. However, that being said if the 2nd check comes after the 1st of the year it will be a break on the reporting of the income.
AL, the breaking up of the distribution, to two seperate years, may help some may hurt some....never knew from the start how it would be, so I'm not going to worry about it now.

“someones neighbor”

Since: Dec 06

Ft Lauderdale

#14751 Dec 3, 2008
AAACORN wrote:
<quoted text>
AL, the breaking up of the distribution, to two seperate years, may help some may hurt some....never knew from the start how it would be, so I'm not going to worry about it now.
Hey! we can use the 2nd check to pay the taxes from the 1st check! That is if its here by Apr.15.....

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#14752 Dec 3, 2008
Someone/Elena, Thank You and I'm trying to catch up. Tell Scoutey (Nancy) I said hello. You two have a cup of coffee together, talk things over and just think I'm there with you....I know I would enjoy that.

AAACORN/Brian

BTW....My wife would not mind, she gave me a note to talk to women on the internet.
Sandy

Melbourne, FL

#14753 Dec 3, 2008
The person I spoke with at GCG earlier stated that was the reason McCrane ask for the extension (Jan. 9th).
Sandy

Melbourne, FL

#14754 Dec 3, 2008
I'm sorry I was answering the question someone ask me earlier as to why the extension was granted.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News COLUMN-Latest Republican assault on healthcare ... 8 hr Pat Robertson s F... 1
News Republican Sossa-Paquette to challenge McGovern... 10 hr family guy reference 2
News Harbor-UCLA Medical Center cited for safety vio... (Oct '11) Wed Nature 251
News As some in Congress look to move past the Obama... Wed Prosperity Fundie... 10
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) Wed Trayzaf 7,264
school spanking (Jan '17) Wed AbbeyLee 3
Planning to get dental crown- will it be painful? (Jul '15) Wed laurajkey 4
watching wife get pregnant by another man (Jan '17) Sep 17 Reginald 16
More from around the web