Smoke travels to non-smoking hotel rooms, study shows

May 13, 2013 Full story: Daily World 29

Anyone who has ever walked into a "non-smoking" hotel room and caught the distinct odor of cigarette smoke will not be surprised by the findings of a new study: When a hotel allows smoking in any of its rooms, the smoke gets into all of its rooms, the study suggests.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#2 May 14, 2013
HumanSpirit wrote:
Sounds like incorrect information and bogus research.
Why? Because you don't like the findings?

"The study found smoke residue on surfaces and in the air of both smoking and non-smoking rooms in 30 California hotels where smoking was allowed. Levels were highest in the smoking rooms, but levels in non-smoking rooms were much higher than those found at 10 smoke-free hotels."

Is this really surprising? If you allow smoking within a structure, smoke will migrate to other rooms.
Smoke Free Hotels

Atlanta, GA

#3 May 14, 2013
HumanSpirit wrote:
Sounds like incorrect information and bogus research. I don't smoke and I stay at alot of hotels for business. What I don't like is some shithead eating up personal rights based on their ideals.
If the hotel chain wants the bogus research to stop smoking in their hotel so state that they don't want smoking but don't blame the non smokers in other non smoking rooms for the attempt by the big business to save money by painting and air filtering costs and blaming it on the people who don't smoke when the problem is the big business hotel.
Take away personal rights with lies and we will ( as the public ) turn your hotel into a losing proposition. A non stay hotel.
Hey Putz,

You don't smoke like I have a 12 incher!!! It's your smoking addiction doing the thinking and talking for you. You will justify your filthy harmful smoking habit to no end.

Smoking is NOT a personal "Right", it an addiction you fool. Most smokers don't even smoke in their own home, how dare you think it's ok to smoke in a hotel room.

Why not make us all happy and just sleep in your car from now on.
HumanSpirit

Branford, FL

#4 May 14, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Because you don't like the findings?
"The study found smoke residue on surfaces and in the air of both smoking and non-smoking rooms in 30 California hotels where smoking was allowed. Levels were highest in the smoking rooms, but levels in non-smoking rooms were much higher than those found at 10 smoke-free hotels."
Is this really surprising? If you allow smoking within a structure, smoke will migrate to other rooms.
You must be doing too many pharmaceutical mind drugs or are taking Statin drugs for loss of memory. Read what was stated in my reply. If the CEO doesn't want smoking in his hotel so be it but don't blame it on the public with bogus research.

I personally think perfume is as dangerous and more so since it is noticed in restaurants, planes, trains and other public places.

I don't smoke

Have a good day
HumanSpirit

Branford, FL

#5 May 14, 2013
Smoke Free Hotels wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Putz,
You don't smoke like I have a 12 incher!!! It's your smoking addiction doing the thinking and talking for you. You will justify your filthy harmful smoking habit to no end.
Smoking is NOT a personal "Right", it an addiction you fool. Most smokers don't even smoke in their own home, how dare you think it's ok to smoke in a hotel room.
Why not make us all happy and just sleep in your car from now on.
I don't smoke rectal licker. Never have but I do see those that would be eager to take reasonable rights based on false research and by who ? Gun rights are the same issue.

If the hotel CEO doesn't want smoking in his establishment so state and make the regulation. Don't blame room smoking is selective rooms affecting everyone.

It appears that the hotel wants regulations to stop smoking but wants the money of the smoker too. Let the smoker go to another hotel that allows smoking. Its that simple.
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#6 May 14, 2013
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
I personally think perfume is as dangerous and more so since it is noticed in restaurants, planes, trains and other public places.
I don't smoke
Yeah, and if there was some research that showed that it's hard to contain heavy perfume to a single room, you'd say "duh, everybody knows that." There's certain stinky things whose odor is very noticeable. Usually, the user remains unaware of this fact.

Same with tobacco smoke. Interesting that you have such strong feelings on this issue, for someone that doesn't smoke. Are you a former smoker?

I am. I enjoyed smoking pipes and cigars for many years. They were the first things banned on airplanes, when cigarette smoking was still permitted. Eventually I got it: my personal pleasure was annoying to most others, especially in a contained space. Over time, I smoked less and less, because it became harder to do it and not annoy the majority of non-smokers.(And then, as I got older, and I started noticing how smoking impaired my lung function.)

In any case, you must understand how they do this research: it's surface wipes and air samples, measured objectively with sensitive instruments. It's not that hard to understand, easy to replicate, and pretty hard to dispute. You can argue about the health effects all day if you want, but not the fact that there's measurable tobacco residue in non-smoking rooms.
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#7 May 14, 2013
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be doing too many pharmaceutical mind drugs or are taking Statin drugs for loss of memory.
Replies like this don't help your case. You don't know me and I don't know you. But my reply treated you with respect. Why the attack?
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't smoke rectal licker.
Replies like that REALLY don't help your case.
HumanSpirit

Branford, FL

#10 May 14, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Replies like this don't help your case. You don't know me and I don't know you. But my reply treated you with respect. Why the attack?
<quoted text>
Replies like that REALLY don't help your case.
No attack.

No disrespect to your postings.

Your mixing up the post of "Smoke Free Hotel" and my reply with rudeness to him.
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#11 May 14, 2013
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
No attack.
No disrespect to your postings.
Your mixing up the post of "Smoke Free Hotel" and my reply with rudeness to him.
Here's your original reply to me:
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be doing too many pharmaceutical mind drugs or are taking Statin drugs for loss of memory.
Maybe you don't realize that this is insulting, but it is. I'm trying to talk to you as I would if we were sitting in a bar across from one another. I bear you no malice.
HumanSpirit

Branford, FL

#12 May 15, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's your original reply to me:
<quoted text>
Maybe you don't realize that this is insulting, but it is. I'm trying to talk to you as I would if we were sitting in a bar across from one another. I bear you no malice.
Try your second statement in your last posting.
Smoke Free Hotels

Atlanta, GA

#13 May 15, 2013
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't smoke rectal licker. Never have but I do see those that would be eager to take reasonable rights based on false research and by who ? Gun rights are the same issue.
If the hotel CEO doesn't want smoking in his establishment so state and make the regulation. Don't blame room smoking is selective rooms affecting everyone.
It appears that the hotel wants regulations to stop smoking but wants the money of the smoker too. Let the smoker go to another hotel that allows smoking. Its that simple.
Thank God we don't leave health, safety and fire codes, laws and ordinances up to the CEO's of businesses. We live in a civilized society. Maybe you should try living in a third world country and see if it's better, I bet your views would quickly change.

You aren't suggesting we get rid of all the laws, codes and ordinances, are you? Let the CEO decide everything? See how foolish you sound?

When a legal product such as cigarettes is proven without a doubt to be harmful to others then restrictions are needed on that product. Many legal products have restrictions on their use, sale and distribution. Alcohol, Guns, Vehicles, Pesticides, Fertilizers. How about this, should we allow bar owners to decide everything about his bar? Opening times, closing times, who he is going to serve, how much he is going to serve, seating capacities, fires codes, noise ordinances. The Bar owner isn't an expert on these things the same can be said with the CEO of a hotel chain. I think we should just stick with the system we have and let the experts do the decision making for the health and safety of our country.
HumanSpirit

Branford, FL

#14 May 15, 2013
Smoke Free Hotels wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank God we don't leave health, safety and fire codes, laws and ordinances up to the CEO's of businesses. We live in a civilized society. Maybe you should try living in a third world country and see if it's better, I bet your views would quickly change.
You aren't suggesting we get rid of all the laws, codes and ordinances, are you? Let the CEO decide everything? See how foolish you sound?
When a legal product such as cigarettes is proven without a doubt to be harmful to others then restrictions are needed on that product. Many legal products have restrictions on their use, sale and distribution. Alcohol, Guns, Vehicles, Pesticides, Fertilizers. How about this, should we allow bar owners to decide everything about his bar? Opening times, closing times, who he is going to serve, how much he is going to serve, seating capacities, fires codes, noise ordinances. The Bar owner isn't an expert on these things the same can be said with the CEO of a hotel chain. I think we should just stick with the system we have and let the experts do the decision making for the health and safety of our country.

That is not the argument. If the Hotel wants to be non smoking. Make the hotel non smoking. No one is going to stop them.-

Don't give a horse manure study based on some circle jerk executive meeting where they try to entrap the smoker for profits who would, most likely, go to another hotel with smoking privileges thus cause a loss of revenue to the non smoking hotel .
Smoke Free Hotels

Atlanta, GA

#15 May 15, 2013
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not the argument. If the Hotel wants to be non smoking. Make the hotel non smoking. No one is going to stop them.-
Don't give a horse manure study based on some circle jerk executive meeting where they try to entrap the smoker for profits who would, most likely, go to another hotel with smoking privileges thus cause a loss of revenue to the non smoking hotel .
Humanwaste,
Here's what you can do, agree with the study until you scientifically prove it is incorrect, until then please STFU and smoke outside.
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#16 May 15, 2013
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
Try your second statement in your last posting.
Are you trying to be cryptic? Why not just say what you mean?

I'm still curious why you (as a non-smoker) would feel so strongly about this particular topic. Did you used to be a smoker?
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#17 May 15, 2013
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
...they try to entrap the smoker for profits who would, most likely, go to another hotel with smoking privileges thus cause a loss of revenue to the non smoking hotel .
How do you "entrap a smoker"? These no smoking policies (and the cleanup fees) are made very clear when you check in. As you say, shouldn't the smoker just exercise their free choice to go to a different hotel?

Of course, that's becoming more difficult all the time:

"The American Hotel & Lodging Association found that 74% of hotel rooms in the U.S. were nonsmoking in 2006, up from 65% in 2001. Several large hotel chains, including Marriott International Inc.'s MAR +0.11% Marriott and Starwood's Westin, are 100% nonsmoking in North America."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1203555704684...
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#20 May 15, 2013
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
Get it together rectal licker
A pathetic and juvenile response --- you are either too afraid or too ignorant to have an adult conversation.
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#21 May 15, 2013
Smoke Free Hotels wrote:
<quoted text>
Humanwaste,
Here's what you can do, agree with the study until you scientifically prove it is incorrect, until then please STFU and smoke outside.
Don't smoke rectal licker.
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#22 May 15, 2013
Side lining with purpose:

Gun legislation is running the same fever and problems like smoking with hidden political agenda too.

Example the shooting deaths are contributed to the mind drugs prescribed but it is more profitable to blame mental illness and guns on the public then the Mental Health / pharmaceutical Industries and the mind drugs-.

Public cases

Death, violence, erratic behavior and the suicide by mind drugs

http://ssristories.com/index.php

Soldier Cases

http://www.ssristories.com/index.php...

There are more deaths with Statin and mind drugs, Nexium and Reglan then smoking.

Stop smoking isn't a big issue to me except I can respect those that have a habit with problems in the same manner as excessive weight gain in the USA from pharmaceutical drugs. Some drugs are addictive and we play the same game on these people and children with chastising them for problems which are out of their control and the pains of stop smoking and drug addiction that was once profitable and OK'd by those same business interests are now anti-smoking forces with a different name.

ALEC at one time (in the political ways of life for the Republican USA ) provided membership to the Tobacco Industry. The anti smoking issue has roots in the same political organization with alternative reasons within membership based on costs and controlling the society to stop smoking today.

Bombs and bullets will be replaced with mind drugs and psychotherapy (false memory) in future generations.

That's certainly what Aldus Huxley predicted with his fictional Soma and it came true

If you are blinded by the relationship of mind drugging, mental health and forced smoking issues then you are not seeing what is brewing politically.
Smoke Free Hotels

Atlanta, GA

#23 May 16, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
A pathetic and juvenile response --- you are either too afraid or too ignorant to have an adult conversation.
Old Guy,
I think we just need to ignore this piece of "Humanwaste".
From his last comment it seems he is a mind numbing tin foil hat wearing PARNOID idiot. Everything and everyone is out to get him filming and listening to his every move. The big bad government is out to get him!!!

He doesn't smoke and I have a nice bridge For Sale.
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#24 May 16, 2013
Smoke Free Hotels wrote:
<quoted text>
Old Guy,
I think we just need to ignore this piece of "Humanwaste".
From his last comment it seems he is a mind numbing tin foil hat wearing PARNOID idiot. Everything and everyone is out to get him filming and listening to his every move. The big bad government is out to get him!!!
He doesn't smoke and I have a nice bridge For Sale.
Old Guy, Rectal licker wants support....

As I stated, I don't smoke. Don't care to smoke.

Reality is something absent to rectal licker
Smoke Free Hotels

Atlanta, GA

#26 May 16, 2013
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
Old Guy, Rectal licker wants support....
As I stated, I don't smoke. Don't care to smoke.
Reality is something absent to rectal licker
Then what the hell do you want? Stop your rambling and whining!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Weight loss helps erectile dysfunction, improve... (Aug '13) 3 hr Andrew 14
Veterans Affairs clinic chief praises improved ... (Jan '10) 7 hr Tio Sam 48
Exercises for Back Pain 7 hr unnakpepe777 2
Vaccines and Autism 14 hr friend 16
What parents need to know about Monsanto: "By 2... 15 hr VACCINES CAUSE AU... 1
CO2 Alzheimer's Link (Aug '12) 17 hr Bat Man 103
Immigrants Social Security eligible in Obama plan 18 hr fatbacks x 125
Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) Tue lostgirl18 6,018
More from around the web