Seeking doctor that isnt scared to pr...

Seeking doctor that isnt scared to prescribe klonopin, valium to patients with history of anxiety.

There are 85 comments on the Austin story from Jan 12, 2011, titled Seeking doctor that isnt scared to prescribe klonopin, valium to patients with history of anxiety.. In it, Austin reports that:

I'm looking for a preferably cheap doctor, general practioner who doesn't really care would be the best, who will prescribe benzodiazepenes to someone with a long history of chronic anxiety and panic attacks, as well as the information of prescriptions I've had in the past for the same drugs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Austin.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 19, 2011
The Uk gp's want and will get patients off benzos,not right atall.Last year a new document came into light,and by next year all patients will be off them.Not fair as no 2 people are the same,if you were a diabetic you would need long term meds?but mental illness,forgotten about.Keep at your gp,but doubtful.I was taken off a benzo after 13 years on it,no replacement,nothing.could not do anything for about 2 months.Doubt if i'll ever be the same again but over the worst.It was hell,dropping everything,shaking and i don't even drink.I could have had a fatal seizure and i wish now i had taken them to court.But we have to keep going and show the b......s that they did not finish us.Made us stronger.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#4 Jan 30, 2011
If i went to a doctor in the U.K. that works private would i get a script for 2.5mg lorazepam or 10mg valium 3-4 times a day ?? I dont mind paying if i can get it legally..

anyone know about this ??

Or can i jump down to ireland for my scripts, i live in londonderry

peace
liam

Brechin, UK

#5 Feb 1, 2011
I HAVE DAZEPAM 10MG 07761812008

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#6 Feb 1, 2011
liam im in edinburgh what kind r they and how much for 1000
liam

Brechin, UK

#7 Feb 1, 2011
can u get me any sorry im lukin them

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#8 Feb 1, 2011
how many u looking for

Location hidden

#10 Mar 4, 2011
minoguesque wrote:
The only really pertinent questions are: why is the UK so bloody determined to stop prescribing BZDs when they already have the smallest selection available in the smallest possible dosage units? I mean fer Chrissakes even Xanax, the most popular and most prescribed benzo in the world is only on private prescription and only in tiny doses of 0.25mg and 0.5mg! I'm supposed to be on 2mg bars 3 times a day and I now can't afford half dose, 6 x 500mcg tabs daily qm have had to take NHS alternative of lorazepam 2.5mg 4 times. Mind, they are almost as good, especially the Metwest M61 generic. Better than Wyeth Ativan anyway. You do not get this anti benzo attitude in other EU countries, where a proper selection of 20 or more benzos can be prescribed. I have been on the things for 30 years and nothing else does the job. They did try but there is nothing except benzos, esp those not available here - bromazepam in particular, and 40mg prazepam (Lysanxia). For those of us who have suffered long term there's nothing we could do if they deleted them totally. Already in the part year I have lost my carisoprodol (Soma) which has been withdrawn so have to use online pharmacies which sell cheap Indian brands. Then what about my Rivotril? That's a benzo too.'Do not stop taking this medicine' it says on the bottle. How can they make the place benzo free? I have to go to Ireland to get a decent sleeper, either flunitrazepam (Roche Rohypnol) or triazolam (Upjohn Halcion). Belgium for any others. Anyone any idea just why we are being treated like that in this country?
I have no idea and it is not right.No offence to heroin/methodone addicts,but i have never taken anything like that in my life yet they get Diazapam quite the thing?,well where i am i see it.Then again,must be hell...meth withdrawl.Lorazapam withdrawls were awful as i said but hey what can i do?we need to do something.I was not addicted i assure you,had to take them to help my muscles relax and for anxiety.So,i could get them on a private prescription?.L.

Location hidden

#11 Mar 4, 2011
Those indian brands are lousy,felt nothing.

Location hidden

#12 Mar 4, 2011
minoguesque wrote:
<quoted text>
10mg diazepam is 2.5 times weaker than 2.5mg lorazepam. 1mg lorazepam is equivalent to 10mg diazepam. There's only Librium any weaker than diaz!
Yep i know!
Pauline

Reading, UK

#13 Apr 30, 2011
My doc wnt give me valium. How can I gt them?
Anonymous

Stockton-on-tees, UK

#14 May 1, 2011
I think there's a common misconception among the people in the UK, and the West, that if something is a medicine then it must be ok to take....(heroin is a 'medicine' used daily in every hospital in the UK, yet you wouldn't deem it safe would you?)

It's that sort of mindset that first off, makes you assume that benzos for life is your right and second, that they're not toxic.

I don't want to seem unfair or nasty but benzos are only licensed in the UK for SHORT TERM anxiety, i.e. fear of flying, giving a talk, etc. They are NOT meant for long term use due to cost, the addiction and withdrawal factors, amnesia, clumsiness, etc.

SSRIs can be taken for life and ARE the licensed medicine of choice for anxiety. So if you want the best possible treatment for your anxiety then go to your GPs and get prescribed an antidepressant.

People also hate that medicines are reduced for financial reasons but unfortunately the NHS has a finite budget as you all know and it's only getting smaller year on year in these times of austerity. There's a code of ethics doctors are obliged to work by. One of keystones being,'justice'.

Who gets what treatment?

Two liver failure patients, one a young teenager with a congenital liver problem and the other a heroin addict that contracted HepB from needle sharing - which to give the single liver transplant to?

You guys do NOT need benzos and the doctors are trying to wean you off them, for the good of the budget and also for the good of your health! Perhaps you need to stop fighting with the doctors and respect their decisions, which are based on sound medical evidence. If you really want to keep taking benzos then by all means come on here and do what you will but don't expect the tax payer to fork out for your unneeded meds.
Silly

Germany

#15 May 1, 2011
stocktonontees wrote:
I don't want to seem unfair or nasty but benzos are only licensed in the UK for SHORT TERM anxiety, i.e. fear of flying, giving a talk, etc. They are NOT meant for long term use due to COST, the addiction and withdrawal factors, amnesia, clumsiness, etc.

SSRIs can be taken for life and ARE the licensed medicine of choice for anxiety. So if you want the best possible treatment for your anxiety then go to your GPs and get prescribed an antidepressant.
The cost of BZD compared to SSRI's is tiny. SSRI's are expensive and certainly not advised long term as they too are addictive or what GP's call 'Habit Forming' and have rather severe withdrawal what GP's call 'Discontinuation'. The side effects can be profound for many.

With the realisation that BZD had a good run and were being phased out the Pharma Co's invested in alternatives to maintain market presence and cash flow.

I feel you are deluded if you think BZD don't have a place in the Medicinal Armoury and that SSRI et al are panaceas.

Location hidden

#16 May 1, 2011
SSRI's are KILLERS. one friend recently tried to take his life after a few weeks on citalopram. has now been prescribed mirtazapine, a tetrocyclic that i have little knowledge of. can only be better than SSRI's though. an ex boyfriend did manage to take his life by hanging himself after three weeks on prozac. coroners report? narrative. not even suicide, due to the circumstance they couldn't even decide if he was in the right state of mind to know what he was doing.

SSRI's were also implicated in the suicide of Kurt Cobain. i took them for a while after being given them by the quack years ago, but the side effects were far too much for me and stopped very quickly.

certainly wouldn't recommend them as an alternative to benzos. maybe cbt would be better option? who knows, we all need coping mechanisms. but SSRI's? FUCK NO.
Anonymous

Stockton-on-tees, UK

#17 May 1, 2011
Woah there cowboy!

1. When did I say benzos weren't effect effective drugs?

2. When did I say SSRIs are cure alls?

3. SSRIs are addictive? Are you having a laugh?

4. Your middle paragraph makes no sense? If benzos are as brilliant as u think, and if there's a market then do you really think greedy Big Pharma would discontinue it....are you mad?

I basically think your entire comment is deluded!
Anonymous

Stockton-on-tees, UK

#18 May 1, 2011
bee-atch - To call a currently prescribed group of drugs 'KILLERS' is a bit much don't you think? When you're unfortunate enough to suffer from mental illness then taking these drugs, although not without risk, is a much better option than life without them.

Yes SSRIs have been linked to increased risk of suicide in young people but they should be closely monitored. On a more important note though, this is when the SSRIs are prescribed for depression, whenever the person already has suicidal tendencies and has not been shown to increase suicide rates in persons prescribed them for other reasons, such as sexual performance or anxiety.

Fortunately whether or not you'd recommend benzos over SSRIs isn't your decision, it's the Doctors.

All too often I'm seeing an erosion of respect for doctors these days. Yes there are "quacks" out there but the mass majority are caring intelligent people that know what they're talking about.

Location hidden

#19 May 1, 2011
should be closely monitored, yes. but they're not. doctors dont actually give a shit. they'll just prescribe whatever the person sponsoring them or their biro is recommending. they dont actually give a shit for your wellbeing.

calling ssri's killers is a bit much? yeah right, i warned my (non-suicidal) friend against taking them when he was prescribed them. about a week or two later he attempted suicide. that's when the doctor decided ssri's were the wrong type of drug for him.

maybe it is a bit much. but i dont trust the fuckers as far as i can throw them. and i'm no athlete. well, not anymore. due to injury. but i still couldn't throw far!
Silly

Södertälje, Sweden

#20 May 1, 2011
stocktonontees wrote:
Woah there cowboy!

1. When did I say benzos weren't effect effective drugs?
2. When did I say SSRIs are cure alls?
3. SSRIs are addictive? Are you having a laugh?
4. Your middle paragraph makes no sense? If benzos are as brilliant as u think, and if there's a market then do you really think greedy Big Pharma would discontinue it....are you mad?

I basically think your entire comment is deluded!
To paraphrase you said BZD could only be used short term this is due to Government policy. BZD are for the most part non toxic.

You advocate SSRI's yet fail to grasp the full background and horror stories. Just because GP's have been given carte blanche to prescribe AD's long term does not make them safe.

SSRI's are addictive and withdrawal can be horrendous please do some research.

Big Pharma had no hand in the dramatic reduction is prescribing BZD's this is Government policy in action.

I don't advocate the use of any chemical long term but BZD's do have their uses and clearly labeled as a Primary medication by the World Health Organisation.

Demonizing a class of useful Medication with a proven track record is bad policy and leads to a black market of possible fake/toxic medication.
Anonymous

Stockton-on-tees, UK

#21 May 1, 2011
Well I'm a doctor in training and I do give a shit. I myself suffer from mild social anxiety but I also know starting down the path of benzos is a very dangerous one and I wouldn't do that myself, given the current evidence and facts. That said, I also wouldn't take SSRIs given the side effects and how mild my illness is. I'm lucky enough I can probably just 'deal with it' without going down the drug route.

I don't know where you are from but in the UK doctors are not sponsored by Pharma companies and the GMC makes it so doctors can't be in position where they might take a bribe. I assume though in the USA this is much more of a problem.

On a side note, with the impending changes to the NHS by the British government will see Big Pharma influencing doctors at a local level - which is worrying.

Location hidden

#22 May 1, 2011
same as product placement in movies innit really? i'm in wales, but see doctors using pens with different 'brands' on them, and mugs, mouse mats etc. sneaky, but it's there
Anonymous

Stockton-on-tees, UK

#23 May 1, 2011
"SSRIs are addictive" - Mate, I'm not the one that needs to do the research...

Your latest post is just as deluded as the previous. You're twisting my words, and worryingly your own too.

Again, I never said benzos weren't effective drugs. Where in ur little mind do you assume short term use is equal to ineffective???

Again, when did I say SSRIs were without side effects? ALL medicines have side effects.

Why has the government changed its policy then? For the fun of it? In the UK it has nothing to do with the government. The medical experts of the world dictate what's best practice and we heed their sage advice.

Demonizing a class of medications? Seriously? Where did you get this from what I've said. Benzos have LOTS of beneficial properties and are used all the time in medicine. BUT THEY ARE NOT LICENSED FOR LONG TERM USE FOR ANXIETY - FULL STOP!!!

I mean christ, heroin is a wonder drug in medicine. First line drug used for extreme pain after physical trauma (say when someone's arm is mutilated in an industrial accident). Now once that patient's arm is repaired/removed then there will probably be some residual pain or a few weeks or even life. Guess what? Heroin isn't prescribed, surprise surprise!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 54 min jess 6,470
News Anderson Co. man charged with shooting repo man... (Oct '12) 4 hr Wes Crawford 9
News Why I take my daughter with me to the gynecologist (Dec '14) 4 hr pailrider 170
News Things to know about Social Security at 80: Tim... 10 hr netruthteller 32
News Why won't she talk? One mother's journey to fin... 13 hr Cole 4
News Ohio logs better-than-average childhood vaccina... 14 hr VACCINES AGAIN 1
News National Autistic Society gives warning on diag... 14 hr VACCINES AGAIN 1
More from around the web