OB-GYN group criticizes Texas abortio...

OB-GYN group criticizes Texas abortion bills

There are 493 comments on the KFVS12 story from Jul 5, 2013, titled OB-GYN group criticizes Texas abortion bills. In it, KFVS12 reports that:

The abortion bills under consideration in Texas are being denounced as a form of legislative overreach on the medical rights of women.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KFVS12.

“Define Necessity”

Since: Mar 13

FOR YOURSELF

#42 Jul 8, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
1.) Roger that. This lady runs 5 and even though the one that IS an ASC costs her 40K/month more to run, it's apparently viable as she hasn't closed it.
http://kutnews.org/post/issue-texas-abortion-...
2.) That's up to PP national, isn't it? In any event, they can raise funds, right? Donors?
3.) If the law passes, "fair" or not, that'll be the cost of doing business in TX. States regulate some businesses a lot and make it hard to do that type of business there. This isn't new.
4.) That's up to the centers as to what they charge, right?
1)Don't know about you, but an extra 40K in overhead / month would shut down my business pretty quickly. This one person apparently has an unlimited flow of cash.
2) Who knows how much in donations can be raised, in order to keep TX abortion clinics open if they have to become surgicenters? Do you? Does the state? Do the Clinics? 40K, every month, is a lot to expect in donations, especially if it's an ADDITIONAL 40K per month, for EVERY one of them.
3) Texas touts itself as a business-friendly state. Raising the cost of doing business, seems contrary to their business model.
and
4) Reserving a surgical suite will cost the same, regardless of whether it's for a medical abortion or a surgical one. It's stupid.

This is bad law, and I hope it's stricken down as Unconstitutional.

“Define Necessity”

FOR YOURSELF

#43 Jul 8, 2013
As an aside, Texas crisis pregnancy centers spent significantly more public money on each client than family planning clinics, while delivering fewer services. Altogether, the Texas Pregnancy Care Network costs the state an average of $237 per client. By contrast, the average client at one of the family-planning clinics in Abilene—since defunded and disregarded by lawmakers—had cost $160.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#44 Jul 9, 2013
dedbebbies wrote:
<quoted text>1)Don't know about you, but an extra 40K in overhead / month would shut down my business pretty quickly. This one person apparently has an unlimited flow of cash.
2) Who knows how much in donations can be raised, in order to keep TX abortion clinics open if they have to become surgicenters? Do you? Does the state? Do the Clinics? 40K, every month, is a lot to expect in donations, especially if it's an ADDITIONAL 40K per month, for EVERY one of them.
3) Texas touts itself as a business-friendly state. Raising the cost of doing business, seems contrary to their business model.
and
4) Reserving a surgical suite will cost the same, regardless of whether it's for a medical abortion or a surgical one. It's stupid.
This is bad law, and I hope it's stricken down as Unconstitutional.
The new WI law signed Friday has been blocked by a judge pending a hearing.

The objection that stuck was the one requiring admitting privileges.

Overreach on part of the bill sponsors and will likely be used against the TX law when it's passed (it's gonna pass).

“Define Necessity”

FOR YOURSELF

#45 Jul 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The new WI law signed Friday has been blocked by a judge pending a hearing.
The objection that stuck was the one requiring admitting privileges.
Overreach on part of the bill sponsors and will likely be used against the TX law when it's passed (it's gonna pass).
Don't count your chickens...but you're probably correct. Fortunately, you're probably correct on both counts - and I sincerely hope the Texas Supreme Court has as much sense as the judge in Wisconsin.

Bad law is bad law, regardless of which state it hails from.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#46 Jul 9, 2013
dedbebbies wrote:
<quoted text>Don't count your chickens...but you're probably correct. Fortunately, you're probably correct on both counts - and I sincerely hope the Texas Supreme Court has as much sense as the judge in Wisconsin.
Bad law is bad law, regardless of which state it hails from.
IMO, had TX statehouse left it at the ASC requirements, no problem like this.

They didn't, so now WI foreshadows this bills eventual fate.

“Define Necessity”

FOR YOURSELF

#47 Jul 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO, had TX statehouse left it at the ASC requirements, no problem like this.
They didn't, so now WI foreshadows this bills eventual fate.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#49 Jul 9, 2013
dedbebbies wrote:
<quoted text>http://www.youtube.com /watch?v=4UoIMwQEgL8XX
This link isn't taking me anywhere, unless you wanted me to watch Mos Def getting force-fed ala Guantanamo Bay.

“Define Necessity”

FOR YOURSELF

#50 Jul 9, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
This link isn't taking me anywhere, unless you wanted me to watch Mos Def getting force-fed ala Guantanamo Bay.
That's odd - it takes me straight to "She's Come Undone" - which is what I intended.

“Define Necessity”

FOR YOURSELF

#51 Jul 10, 2013
"Republicans have shown they can’t help themselves from pursuing an ideological agenda, and they are further alienating independent and moderate voters,” Israel said.“They are pulling themselves down on this issue.”

GOP officials say they do not expect abortion to become a decisive factor in upcoming races. Republican candidates will focus instead on economic issues and on controversy surrounding President Obama’s Affordable Care Act, they said.

Meanwhile, as North Carolina tacks excessive anti-abortion amendments to an unrelated bill when no one was watching, and Ohio Republicans snuck the verbiage into a budget bill and ignored the requirement for public debate, and Texas changed the rules to allow their restrictive measures to pass, but only after first curtailing mandated public hearings — what none of these states are telling you is that less than 2% of all abortions happen after the twenty weeks the GOP are using as their Trojan horse to make abortions at anytime impossible. And the majority of these are those cases you hear about of exceptional circumstances, often threatening the lives of mothers.
Dan

Atlanta, GA

#52 Jul 10, 2013
dedbebbies wrote:
"Republicans have shown they can’t help themselves from pursuing an ideological agenda, and they are further alienating independent and moderate voters,” Israel said.“They are pulling themselves down on this issue.”
GOP officials say they do not expect abortion to become a decisive factor in upcoming races. Republican candidates will focus instead on economic issues and on controversy surrounding President Obama’s Affordable Care Act, they said.
Meanwhile, as North Carolina tacks excessive anti-abortion amendments to an unrelated bill when no one was watching, and Ohio Republicans snuck the verbiage into a budget bill and ignored the requirement for public debate, and Texas changed the rules to allow their restrictive measures to pass, but only after first curtailing mandated public hearings — what none of these states are telling you is that less than 2% of all abortions happen after the twenty weeks the GOP are using as their Trojan horse to make abortions at anytime impossible. And the majority of these are those cases you hear about of exceptional circumstances, often threatening the lives of mothers.
Well, the TX bill passed. Expect a challenge on the admitting requirement fairly quickly. If proponents wanted this to stick, they should have eliminated that provision IMO.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#53 Jul 10, 2013
dedbebbies wrote:
That last paragraph "Meanwhile......." appeared verbatim in another thread by another poster.

Is this some boilerplate making the rounds or do you have two ID's here?

“Define Necessity”

FOR YOURSELF

#54 Jul 10, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
That last paragraph "Meanwhile......." appeared verbatim in another thread by another poster.
Is this some boilerplate making the rounds or do you have two ID's here?
I liked it - pardon my plagiarism. Next time I'll quote my source's screen name.

:)
Dan

Omaha, NE

#55 Jul 10, 2013
dedbebbies wrote:
<quoted text>I liked it - pardon my plagiarism. Next time I'll quote my source's screen name.
:)
LOL. No big deal.

“Define Necessity”

FOR YOURSELF

#56 Aug 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. No big deal.
Pardon me, but I consider the tactics being used to further the 'abolish abortion' agenda, to be a VERY big deal.

The GOP apparently believes the only way these laws can be passed, is by subversive, covert, and nefarious action. If that doesn't give you a clue as to the actual point of the legislation, you're not nearly as intelligent as I thought you were.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#57 Aug 14, 2013
dedbebbies wrote:
<quoted text>Pardon me, but I consider the tactics being used to further the 'abolish abortion' agenda, to be a VERY big deal.
The GOP apparently believes the only way these laws can be passed, is by subversive, covert, and nefarious action. If that doesn't give you a clue as to the actual point of the legislation, you're not nearly as intelligent as I thought you were.
"subversive, covert" action like Davis' filibuster and the subsequent Texas vote, which was covered exhaustively in the media?

THAT "subversive, covert" action?

How seriously are we to take your hyperbole here?

“Define Necessity”

FOR YOURSELF

#58 Aug 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
"subversive, covert" action like Davis' filibuster and the subsequent Texas vote, which was covered exhaustively in the media?
THAT "subversive, covert" action?
How seriously are we to take your hyperbole here?
The actions of Senator Davis were neither covert, nor subversive. That you would categorize them as such, lowers my estimation of your intelligence further.

No, I was speaking of tacking legislation on abortion to bills having nothing to do with it, and all the other things mentioned in that bit of plagiarism you questioned.

But of course you already knew that - hence your deflection, thinly disguised as deliberate obtuseness.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#59 Aug 14, 2013
dedbebbies wrote:
<quoted text>The actions of Senator Davis were neither covert, nor subversive. That you would categorize them as such, lowers my estimation of your intelligence further.
No, I was speaking of tacking legislation on abortion to bills having nothing to do with it, and all the other things mentioned in that bit of plagiarism you questioned.
But of course you already knew that - hence your deflection, thinly disguised as deliberate obtuseness.
My point was the whole country watched the Texas thing play out.

Nothing covert about it.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#60 Aug 15, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing covert about it.
Your "point" was what it always is, deflection. You wanted the finger pointing the other way, and tried to twist the facts to suit.

There was nothing covert about the filibuster.

There IS something covert about tacking abortion regulations onto a bill about Sharia law/motorcycle safety three minutes before such bills are to be debated, not allowing the legal time for the opposition/public to peruse the additions.

“Define Necessity”

FOR YOURSELF

#61 Aug 15, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing covert about it.
Since Senator Davis is not a member of the GOP...
You deliberately missed my point.
Dan

Atlanta, GA

#62 Aug 15, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "point" was what it always is, deflection. You wanted the finger pointing the other way, and tried to twist the facts to suit.
There was nothing covert about the filibuster.
There IS something covert about tacking abortion regulations onto a bill about Sharia law/motorcycle safety three minutes before such bills are to be debated, not allowing the legal time for the opposition/public to peruse the additions.
The Texas law wasn't a rider as you describe.

That was North Carolina, but, by all means, don't let your mangling of the facts get in the way of telling me I'm "deflecting".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Supreme Court strikes down Texas abortion clini... 1 hr Jeff Brightone 3
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 4 hr Lonia27 6,847
News Children with intrusive parents may develop ten... 5 hr ELISE GINGERICH 1
News Women Are Far More Anxious Than Men - Here's Th... 5 hr ELISE GINGERICH 1
News Scientists claim cigarette smokers are clueless 14 hr Sir Comme Syzed 1
News WHO weighs emergency measures for yellow fever ... 16 hr Shevon Drake 1
News Billy Joel to join Cuomo on NY breast cancer mo... 17 hr Shevon Drake 1
More from around the web