Cigarette ash leads to duplex fire in Visalia

Mar 3, 2014 Full story: Visalia Times-Delta 15

A fire Sunday morning in Visalia sent one woman to the hospital and caused thousands of dollars in damage to a duplex.

Full Story

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#1 Mar 3, 2014
Smokers have lost the ability to think and act rationally as shown by this story, and yet, somehow they think that we will listen to what they call "reason".

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#2 Mar 3, 2014
That one certainly has, just as the myriad of drunks that kill folks on the hwy have as well.

bud, will join me in not only calling for a ban on cigarettes but also cars as well?

I know I can count on your support.
A DUH MOMENT

Winnipeg, Canada

#3 Mar 3, 2014
MSO4 wrote:
That one certainly has, just as the myriad of drunks that kill folks on the hwy have as well.
bud, will join me in not only calling for a ban on cigarettes but also cars as well?
I know I can count on your support.
Off topic

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#4 Mar 3, 2014
MSO4 wrote:
That one certainly has, just as the myriad of drunks that kill folks on the hwy have as well.
bud, will join me in not only calling for a ban on cigarettes but also cars as well?
I know I can count on your support.
You are more than welcome to call for a ban on cars. I did not call for a ban on cigarettes. Just like with cars, there are limits as to how you can and should use them. Nicotine addicts are just that- addicts- without a sense of responsibility. They ingest a drug that alters their mind and expect the rest of us to take their thinking as the voice of reason.

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#5 Mar 3, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
You are more than welcome to call for a ban on cars. I did not call for a ban on cigarettes. Just like with cars, there are limits as to how you can and should use them. Nicotine addicts are just that- addicts- without a sense of responsibility. They ingest a drug that alters their mind and expect the rest of us to take their thinking as the voice of reason.
I have never taken a smoker as the voice of reason. Matter of fact if I am outside and someone that is smoking has it where I can smell it, I quickly ask them to move down a bit. Problem solved.
BUTTHEADS

Winnipeg, Canada

#6 Mar 4, 2014
Ash Holes

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#7 Mar 4, 2014
BUTTHEADS wrote:
Ash Holes
Only a Canadian can come up with such a witty retort. What a dumbass.
DUH IM MS04

Winnipeg, Canada

#8 Mar 4, 2014
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>Only a Canadian can come up with such a witty retort. What a dumbass.
We gave you Jim Carey, so STFU

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#9 Mar 4, 2014
DUH IM MS04 wrote:
<quoted text> We gave you Jim Carey, so STFU
lol!

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#10 Mar 5, 2014
DUH IM MS04 wrote:
<quoted text> We gave you Jim Carey, so STFU
Uhhhhmmmm
You can have the Bieb back.

Please.
wrong again Dan

Winnipeg, Canada

#11 Mar 5, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
Smokers have lost the ability to think and act rationally as shown by this story, and yet, somehow they think that we will listen to what they call "reason".
could be they never had those abilities. Its why Neanderthals die off.
wrong again Dan

Winnipeg, Canada

#12 Mar 5, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhhhhmmmm
You can have the Bieb back.
Please.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! NOT THAT!!!!
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#13 Mar 6, 2014
There is a significant difference between cars and tobacco products. So far as I know, the automobile industry in America has yet to be convicted en masse of half a century of RICO violations. The tobacco industry should no longer exist here. Without it, there would be no significant problem with addicts continually created by the industry's efforts.

Beyond that, there are numerous deaths caused by drivers (drunken or otherwise) each day, but neither alchohol, motor vehicles, or ANYthing else has topped so many lists of undesirable attributes as smoking. Smoking is #1 among :
preventable causes of death
sources of harmful radiation exposure
causes of fatal apartment fires
and sources of litter, just to name a few.

While taxes from tobacco products may be a source of significant income for many political entities, the use of tobacco is not something without which the entire economy would collapse. Cars are, at the moment.

Have I dented the buffer of asininity that protects your ability to regard the two as equivalent?

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#14 Mar 6, 2014
Hugh Jass wrote:
There is a significant difference between cars and tobacco products. So far as I know, the automobile industry in America has yet to be convicted en masse of half a century of RICO violations. The tobacco industry should no longer exist here. Without it, there would be no significant problem with addicts continually created by the industry's efforts.
Beyond that, there are numerous deaths caused by drivers (drunken or otherwise) each day, but neither alchohol, motor vehicles, or ANYthing else has topped so many lists of undesirable attributes as smoking. Smoking is #1 among :
preventable causes of death
sources of harmful radiation exposure
causes of fatal apartment fires
and sources of litter, just to name a few.
While taxes from tobacco products may be a source of significant income for many political entities, the use of tobacco is not something without which the entire economy would collapse. Cars are, at the moment.
Have I dented the buffer of asininity that protects your ability to regard the two as equivalent?
They KNOW the two are not equivalent. They know that it is an asinine argument that. has no response to it. They ignore the clean air laws that mandate emissions equipment and clean diesel. They ignore the drunk driving laws. It is the same mentality when they ask for a death certificate that says that someone died from smoking. When they trot these arguments out it is because they have nothing left to go on. Fortunately, most people are smart enough to ignore these obfuscating tactics and the smoking bans continue to emerge and strengthen. Same for tobacco taxes. They are on the losing side of the argument. Like you, I cannot understand why they still allow tobacco products to be sold and am even more at a loss to explain why the FDA did not ban ecigs as a drug delivery device.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#16 Mar 7, 2014
The automotive industry has an inherent motive for making cleaner products. Fuel efficiency is among the first attributes the average consumer looks at when considering a new car, and an engine that burns fuel efficiently pollutes less.
The tobacco industry, on the other hand, has no inherent motivation other than to inflict and sustain addiction.

I believe the federal court system decided that e-cigarettes were simply another tobacco product, and to be regulated as such. That would be the same court system that denied the FDA authority to mandate graphic warning labels for packaging.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bed-wetting blues: Millions of adults suffer, too (Feb '09) 51 min tom 140
Massachusetts town weighs nation's 1st tobacco ban 1 hr Outside the box 61
GOP governors don't see 'Obamacare' going away 2 hr mjjcpa 196
Tobacco Companies Knew Radioactive Particles In... (Sep '11) 2 hr xxgg 2
Have you ever used a stretch machine? 2 hr ezstretchnflex 1
CTU's Karen Lewis says 'We have other places we... 2 hr Black Annie 1
CO2 Alzheimer's Link (Aug '12) 2 hr Walter Harold Marlin 108
Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 16 hr yeya 6,111
More from around the web