Report: State Tobacco Prevention Fund...

Report: State Tobacco Prevention Funding Lacking

There are 63 comments on the EDGE story from May 25, 2012, titled Report: State Tobacco Prevention Funding Lacking. In it, EDGE reports that:

States have spent only about 3 percent of the billions they've received in tobacco taxes and legal settlements over the last decade to fund tobacco prevention programs, making it harder to reduce the death and disease caused by tobacco use, according to a report released Thursday by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#24 Jun 2, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
have you ever had a heat stroke??
People die from them
Not sure I see a point there. People can die from heat stroke, so government officials shouldn't take steps to ensure that children don't die of dehydration during exercise periods for which the government is responsible?
Here Is One wrote:
Have you ever heard of water toxicity???
You can die from drinking too much water with out enough salts
All the more reason, it would seem, to ensure that the children's thirst was slaked with something that would PROVIDE those salts. I'm not sure I understand that this statement supports your opposition to the school's requirement. Or ARE you opposed to it? Children MAY need the government's representatives to tell them what to consume while they are under the GOVERNMENT'S supervision. Kids aren't omniscient, and don't necessarily act on what knowledge they DO have.
If the school is teaching or even just reinforcing the lesson that dehydration should be guarded against, then I don't see the problem from here. I would think it was just a question of the school making sure that the children came out with an added and engrained awareness that will help them to thrive in your environment.
Need A Light

London, Canada

#25 Jun 2, 2012
Here is One ..........is Puerto Vallarta still on bottled water ?

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#26 Jun 2, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure I see a point there. People can die from heat stroke, so government officials shouldn't take steps to ensure that children don't die of dehydration during exercise periods for which the government is responsible?

Here Is One wrote, "Have you ever heard of water toxicity???
You can die from drinking too much water with out enough salts
"

All the more reason, it would seem, to ensure that the children's thirst was slaked with something that would PROVIDE those salts. I'm not sure I understand that this statement supports your opposition to the school's requirement. Or ARE you opposed to it? Children MAY need the government's representatives to tell them what to consume while they are under the GOVERNMENT'S supervision. Kids aren't omniscient, and don't necessarily act on what knowledge they DO have.
If the school is teaching or even just reinforcing the lesson that dehydration should be guarded against, then I don't see the problem from here. I would think it was just a question of the school making sure that the children came out with an added and engrained awareness that will help them to thrive in your environment.
my children go to a private school and the government is not responsible

But they are banning salt in some areas and my point is that it can be a bad thing

“Facts”

Location hidden

#27 Jun 2, 2012
Need A Light wrote:
Here is One ..........is Puerto Vallarta still on bottled water ?
what???

PV has the cleanest water in Mexico and cleaner than most cities on the USA
Need A Light

London, Canada

#28 Jun 2, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
what???
PV has the cleanest water in Mexico and cleaner than most cities on the USA
I had a unit in Vista Del Sol they had bottled water as well as tap which was not considered safe 20 years ago, so maybe you have updated me.
Is Carlos O'Brien still operating ? And how much is beer now from the Corona plant.

“Facts”

Location hidden

#29 Jun 2, 2012
Need A Light wrote:
<quoted text>I had a unit in Vista Del Sol they had bottled water as well as tap which was not considered safe 20 years ago, so maybe you have updated me.
Is Carlos O'Brien still operating ? And how much is beer now from the Corona plant.
Vista del sol??

Not puesta del sol??
Where is it at??
Some places with old pipes the water taste bad
But I dont drink the water in any city as the chlorine levels are to high

Yes CO is still there

Corona or Pacifica is not bottled here
That big plant north of the airport is just a bodega

Google la Punta reality Vallarta an

“Facts”

Location hidden

#30 Jun 2, 2012
Need A Light wrote:
<quoted text>I had a unit in Vista Del Sol they had bottled water as well as tap which was not considered safe 20 years ago, so maybe you have updated me.
changes in 20 years
The four season has a units that are 10k per night in low season and 20k per night at Christmas

The malicon has been all redone down town

They are building a highway that will bypass the whole town from missmaloya in the south to up by La Cruz in the north

Not the Vallarta of 20 years ago
Need A Light

London, Canada

#32 Jun 2, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
changes in 20 years
The four season has a units that are 10k per night in low season and 20k per night at Christmas
The malicon has been all redone down town
They are building a highway that will bypass the whole town from missmaloya in the south to up by La Cruz in the north
Not the Vallarta of 20 years ago
Vista Del Sol is on Aquiles Serdan facing the beach they are private condos. Restuarant bar on main floor. Did a quick Google indeed P.V. it is growing. 20 years ago a bottle of Corona you could get for 35 cents and it was 3500 pesos to the USA dollar. It was funny at the airport a convience store had a cash register but used pails for his change.I know P.V. gets a bad rap sometimes but I found the people there are very family orientated,love education,and I suppose by now the leading citizens of the day since when I was there.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#33 Jun 2, 2012
Smokestacks wrote:
Isn't this a smoking forum? Smokers reek like skunk carcass you know.
Smokestacks.

Kinky! I've heard of all kinds of aberrant sexual perversions, but you are the first I ever heard of who goes around smelling decent women and men who smoke tobacco. Does your smelling disorder cause you to orgasm? Do you get off smelling the tail end of a donkey too?

Ronald
Here Is One

Mexico

#34 Jun 2, 2012
Need A Light wrote:
<quoted text>Vista Del Sol is on Aquiles Serdan facing the beach they are private condos. Restuarant bar on main floor. Did a quick Google indeed P.V. it is growing. 20 years ago a bottle of Corona you could get for 35 cents and it was 3500 pesos to the USA dollar. It was funny at the airport a convience store had a cash register but used pails for his change.I know P.V. gets a bad rap sometimes but I found the people there are very family orientated,love education,and I suppose by now the leading citizens of the day since when I was there.
oh yes down town

A Corona Today is between 10 pesos at a small bar to 90 pesos at the four seasons and we are 14 to one

A new one bedroom condo starts at a 100k to over a million at Punta de Mita
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#36 Jun 2, 2012
Need A Mint wrote:
<quoted text> You're the one making it sexual Ronald Mc Donald. Don't special sauce yourself.
Need A Mint.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was you who claimed to be the expert on smells of decent women and men who smoke tobacco. If your attraction is not sexual in nature, why do you smell them? Are you possessed with an obsessive–compulsive disorder? If so, can you be sure that - at its root - that disorder is not sexual in nature?

My colleagues and I often see patients who exhibit compulsions of this nature, although this is the first time I have heard of an obsessive compulsive smelling disorder that is tobacco smoker specific. I am sure the literature is deplete regarding smoker smelling disorder, although until now I have had no reason to research the subject.

Regarding the other more common psycho-sexual obsessive-compulsive related disorders, most are found to be sexual in nature after the patient is analyzed in the proper clinical setting. Are you aware that there are Government approved medications that can help alleviate your condition?

Ronald
Need A Light

London, Canada

#37 Jun 2, 2012
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Need A Mint.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was you who claimed to be the expert on smells of decent women and men who smoke tobacco. If your attraction is not sexual in nature, why do you smell them? Are you possessed with an obsessive–compulsive disorder? If so, can you be sure that - at its root - that disorder is not sexual in nature?
My colleagues and I often see patients who exhibit compulsions of this nature, although this is the first time I have heard of an obsessive compulsive smelling disorder that is tobacco smoker specific. I am sure the literature is deplete regarding smoker smelling disorder, although until now I have had no reason to research the subject.
Regarding the other more common psycho-sexual obsessive-compulsive related disorders, most are found to be sexual in nature after the patient is analyzed in the proper clinical setting. Are you aware that there are Government approved medications that can help alleviate your condition?
Ronald
Goodness ... Ronald they say once you have found one you have just about found them all.... Need A Mint is a big wheel anti on these boards and has a lot of friends espesially from Winiepeg
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#39 Jun 2, 2012
Need A Mint wrote:
<quoted text> On the topic of smells....you stink.
Need A Mint.

You are much too modest. With your expert knowledge of the subtle differences in smell of the diverse numbers of decent women and men who smoke tobacco you can do better than to say "you stink". After all, "you stink" is a pretty generalized diagnosis. I am sure you would be first to tell us that not all decent tobacco smokers smell the same.

Not all medical knowledge has been gotten from the published works of Government degreed Government licensed physicians. Have you ever considered publishing a work describing your layman's findings regarding obsessive–compulsive smelling disorder, as well as the findings of your investigation into the smell of donkey behinds?

Ronald
Need A Light

London, Canada

#40 Jun 3, 2012
Ronald I am sure a politician could find the necessary funding for Need A Mint to do a project like this. All they have to do is raise the tax on his mints by $1.00 a pack and hope the funding is not lacking after they do it.
Need A Light

London, Canada

#41 Jun 3, 2012
Funds Lacking ..........
Some people get it obviously even some non smokers
http://www.thereporter.com/letters/ci_2077261...
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#42 Jun 3, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
my children go to a private school and the government is not responsible
But they are banning salt in some areas and my point is that it can be a bad thing
"banning" salt? I suspect hyperbole. Of course, the term "ban" is almost always hyperbolic when applied to smoking regulations as well.

I am also unsure whether you are saying your point is that salt can be a bad thing or that banning salt (which seems an unlikely thing unless you are using the verb very loosely) can be a bad thing.

If the school rule is not governmental, then why the earlier implication that it was governmental over-reach? If the rule IS governmental, it is likely part of the requirements for operating a private school. By permitting the school to operate--and I assume that a private school must have permission from the government in order to operate--the government DOES take on some responsibility for the students' well-being.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#43 Jun 3, 2012
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Smokestacks.
Kinky! I've heard of all kinds of aberrant sexual perversions, but you are the first I ever heard of who goes around smelling decent women and men who smoke tobacco. Does your smelling disorder cause you to orgasm? Do you get off smelling the tail end of a donkey too?
Ronald
I will resist the temptation to call "decent women and men who smoke tobacco" an oxymoron.

Still, the question that arises is not one of how many people "go around" smelling them but one of HOW anyone can "GET around" smelling them. If you think THAT is easy, then perhaps you should be looking in another direction for a smelling disorder.[I'm not, though it would be apt, referring to SMOKING or nicotine addiction, which would better be described as a "smelly disorder"]

“Facts”

Location hidden

#44 Jun 3, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>"banning" salt? I suspect hyperbole. Of course, the term "ban" is almost always hyperbolic when applied to smoking regulations as well.

I am also unsure whether you are saying your point is that salt can be a bad thing or that banning salt (which seems an unlikely thing unless you are using the verb very loosely) can be a bad thing.

If the school rule is not governmental, then why the earlier implication that it was governmental over-reach? If the rule IS governmentally, it is likely part of the requirements for operating a private school. By permitting the school to operate--and I assume that a private school must have permission from the government in order to operate--the government DOES take on some responsibility for the students' well-being.
there are cities that banned all salt in restaurants
My point is that we don't need the goverment telling us what to eat

I never said the school rule is or was bad
It is not mandatory it is recommended

I was making the point that the goverment is banning something you will die without

And here we try and eat extra salt

I really think you are confused about this whole subject

Bottom line is the goverment in the US is trying to stop people from consuming
What doctors recommend children consume here
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#45 Jun 3, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
I will resist the temptation to call "decent women and men who smoke tobacco" an oxymoron.
Still, the question that arises is not one of how many people "go around" smelling them but one of HOW anyone can "GET around" smelling them. If you think THAT is easy, then perhaps you should be looking in another direction for a smelling disorder.[I'm not, though it would be apt, referring to SMOKING or nicotine addiction, which would better be described as a "smelly disorder"]
Hugh Jass.

Yes. I agree. There are still many naive individuals who reside in areas who are yet to experience the full impact of revolutionary schemes designed to harass the increasingly impoverished minority who pay taxes. Apparently revolutionary politicians *(now in power)* are using this tactic to silence opposition to their revolutionary terror.

Long Beach is home to one of the unbelievably expensive taxpayer funded radical State Universities. Since the revolution, most radical schemes that are designed to silence the taxpaying minority are cooked up in Government institutions like the one in radical controlled Long Beach. Long Beach is second in radical activism probably only to that of Berkeley.*(of revolutionary era "filthy speech" fame)*. It is not unusual to find that many local revolutionary activist politicians are "double dippers".

I sometimes ride the taxpayer subsidized Government buses in revolutionary Long Beach. I ride along with taxpayer supported Thug people and their taxpayer supported Thug "youth". This is not without risk on my part. Revolutionary Council has criminalized decent women and men who smoke tobacco from being within 20 feet of any taxpayer owned Government bus stop. Were revolutionary Government to apprehend me, I would likely be thrown into a louse infested Government prison to be eaten by gigantic RATS.

I am not afflicted with obsessive-compulsive smelling disorder as are many non-tobacco smokers. I can relate to you though, Hugh Jass, that the unpleasant odor emanating from many of the non-smokers who ride the taxpayer subsided Government buses is often,*(to put it mildly)* overpowering.

Revolutionary Government has been successful in using hard earned taxpayer money to incite the non-smoking Thug people to violence in order to further revolutionary aims. One dare not speak out about unpleasant non-smoker Thug odor. Doing so might get one dead.

Ronald
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#46 Jun 3, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
there are cities that banned all salt in restaurants
Which ones? I confess that I do not know of it.
Here Is One wrote:
My point is that we don't need the goverment telling us what to eat
I never said the school rule is or was bad
It is not mandatory it is recommended
Actually, you posted what follows at the beginning of this subthread. You used the word "REQUIRE" which goes beyond "recommending". As such a requirement is usually associated with government oversight, and as you seemed to be objecting to the government telling people what to eat, I made the leap to believing you were saying the government had no right to tell your kids they had to drink the Pedialyte.
Here Is One wrote:
The school my children go to here in Mexico require that each student drink a half a liter of pedolite before each PE class or dance class....
Ya know pedolight that doctor recommended drink for infants and anyone that is dehydrated??
Pack full of salt and sugar..........ROTFLMAO
Here Is One wrote:
I was making the point that the goverment is banning something you will die without
And here we try and eat extra salt
I really think you are confused about this whole subject
Again, your post only mentioned the requirement that the children drink Pedialyte. Nothing in that actually approached a point about the government banning anything. Yes, I was confused--but about your position, not the issue itself. Sorry for that, and glad that it has been sorted out.
Here Is One wrote:
Bottom line is the goverment in the US is trying to stop people from consuming What doctors recommend children consume here
I think you will find that the US government also recommends consumption of salt at a reasonable level--and that it is stressed as a necessity in high heat.

Here in the US, so high a percentage of our diet comes from processed foods and so many processed foods have significant amounts of sodium that it may actually make some sense to reduce the amount consumed in restaurants.

As I mentioned above, we have evolved a taste for salt as for sugar in response to an environment where obtaining an adequate dosage of either required a lot of effort and we needed the motivation of "tasting good" to us in order to ensure that we would make the effort to get enough. Those who didn't seek those two tastes didn't survive to pass on their genes.

Now, however, acquisition of salty and/or sugary foods far in excess of "adequacy" involves far less effort. We can find it at the corner market and obtain it for the wages of sitting on our butts in offices.

So, access has become ridiculously easy, and yet we still have the genetic predisposition to choose those tastes. That is really the foundation of all the diseases coming from excesses of salt and sugar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Quincy's Bar & Grill owner to open second resta... (May '14) 2 hr jimjimpopspopo 24
News Sanders defends call to raise taxes to fund hea... 9 hr Frank Merton 27
News Crunch time again for health law; signup deadli... 10 hr spud 8
News Health officials urge residents to get free HIV... 11 hr BlackGuy 1
News Mark Davis: Do you have the right not to vaccin... 11 hr VACCINE CAUSED 2
What are the symptoms of the Flu In Alberta? 11 hr cold bug 1
News CDC Cover-Up of Autism and Vaccine Link Continues 11 hr VACCINE CAUSED 2
More from around the web