Melinda Shankar returns to Guyanese roots to film new movie

Feb 13, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Stabroek News

Petite, pretty and vivacious 17-year-old Melinda Shankar is the star of a new film, Festival of Lights , set in Guyana and the US.

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Sep 30, 2010
Marissa Richmond

Ottawa, Canada

#1 Feb 17, 2010
i am very proud to know that young indo Guyanese are doing great things overseas. I would have liked to meet this courageous young lady and she should be an inspiration to the young guyanese girls.
for young guyanese girls poison is the way out for them but that is no way good, take an example life is hard work and determination, success will only come with hard work.
I am very proud of this young lady and all that she has accomplished, just google Melinda Shankar and you will be proud to be a Guyanese.
Keep on making us proud and when you come back to Guyana we will acknowledge you as a Guyanese star.
Marissa
Proud Guyanese

Georgetown, Guyana

#2 Mar 1, 2010
Marissa Richmond wrote:
i am very proud to know that young indo Guyanese are doing great things overseas. I would have liked to meet this courageous young lady and she should be an inspiration to the young guyanese girls.
for young guyanese girls poison is the way out for them but that is no way good, take an example life is hard work and determination, success will only come with hard work.
I am very proud of this young lady and all that she has accomplished, just google Melinda Shankar and you will be proud to be a Guyanese.
Keep on making us proud and when you come back to Guyana we will acknowledge you as a Guyanese star.
Marissa
I am proud of Melinda as well. I had the opportunity of meeting her and her dad when they stayed in Guyana during the filming of the movie she did.
However I truly resent your statement "for young guyanese girls poison is the way out for them". That is a truly wide statement and speaks only of a few uneducated, abused women in Guyana. I live here and know the truth unlike overseas based Guyanese who would all like to think that everyone here is very backward and pathetic. This is just a reminder that there are more positive young ppl here than the type highlighted.
Preya

Canada

#3 Jun 24, 2010
She's so pretty & young she make a rep for her self as Guyanese person.
Preya

Canada

#4 Jun 24, 2010
Please rep our country more often keep the good work.
Veronica

Reus, Spain

#5 Jun 27, 2010
Really, proud to be a Guyanese based on this young girls achievements? Sorry, British Guiana and Guyana has given birth to some outstanding Guyanese in many prestigious fields. Sad that the entertainment industry is the current standard. Barbados is proud of Rihanna and has given her a million dollar property for making it in the entertainment industry in the US. Wow.

The most important thing we should pay attention to, comes right out of Melinda's mouth. She said as an asthma patient when in Guyana she do not need to use her medication as much as in Canada. This proves the air in Guyana is healthier, a strong point for keeping our rain-forest intact.
Dr Siddiki

Bronx, NY

#6 Jun 29, 2010
hi veronica .im proud od guyanese ppl even though we got lots of evil ones all over the world .i never heard that bytch shakira baksh ever talk about her country that give her birth and fame .she never ever visited guyana after moving to london .she never voiced her opinionm about the evil that was happening during pnc times .she didnt gove a damn about guyana .she has a right to do as she pleases , but thats one nasty guyanese ill never be proud of .maybe shes ashamed to let ppl know shes from guyana .
Robby

Richmond Hill, NY

#7 Jun 29, 2010
I really don;t know , but as soon as the movie is finished she will dissapear from the radar. The entertainment industry is not that self fulfilling for some, in the sense that if there will be more opportunities and also it is highly competitive. This girl is young, I will be proud of her if she goes to College and improve her education. Acting is not reality, most people will say all the nice things about something just to make it easy. It is also all dramatization. In any case, I wish her the best.
Veronica

Las Palmas De Gran Canaria, Spain

#8 Jul 2, 2010
Dr Siddiki wrote:
hi veronica .im proud od guyanese ppl even though we got lots of evil ones all over the world .i never heard that bytch shakira baksh ever talk about her country that give her birth and fame .she never ever visited guyana after moving to london .she never voiced her opinionm about the evil that was happening during pnc times .she didnt gove a damn about guyana .she has a right to do as she pleases , but thats one nasty guyanese ill never be proud of .maybe shes ashamed to let ppl know shes from guyana .
Hi friend, I will not ask how's life treating you, but how are you treating life?
Well, to say I'm proud of all Guyanese would be stretching it. There are many Guyanese I have admired and there are those that I do not admire for many reasons but mostly due to a sense of betrayal.

Where Shakira is concerned, she had visited Guyana in the later part of the sixties. I had read an article where it was mentioned that she was from Guatemala, but that could have been a mistake on the interviewers part. It might surprise you that many Guyanese do not recognize themselves as Guyanese, especially those that left using a British Guiana passport. I had met a Guyanese woman in Holland who told me she has nothing to do with That country. Wow, she was one of those who left while the Union Jack was still flying. Many Guyanese with American nationality considers themselves simply Americans and are extremely proud to be Americans even more so than a born American.
Veronica

Las Palmas De Gran Canaria, Spain

#9 Jul 2, 2010
Robby wrote:
I really don;t know , but as soon as the movie is finished she will dissapear from the radar. The entertainment industry is not that self fulfilling for some, in the sense that if there will be more opportunities and also it is highly competitive. This girl is young, I will be proud of her if she goes to College and improve her education. Acting is not reality, most people will say all the nice things about something just to make it easy. It is also all dramatization. In any case, I wish her the best.
I could not agree with you more, well said my friend.
ash

Paterson, NJ

#10 Jul 30, 2010
i wish i could act in a movie. I am guyanese too and I think Melinda Shankar is cool.
Ernest Holton jr

Reseda, CA

#11 Sep 12, 2010
I fell in love With Her when the First Time i Saw her in Degrassi I know i'm Latter day Saint But I am Attractive To Guyanese Woman And I Am Still Looking For One That Is Like Melinda Shankar But as a Mormon.I Am Hoping And Wishing And Praying She Is Out there Cause i Think She Is The Hottest Teen In Canada Even If She Is 18 Because I Like Her.
josee

Ottawa, Canada

#12 Sep 30, 2010
Acting is very hard work long hours and lots of reading, memorizing scripts, ok there is fame but in reality you can't walk around like a normal person would, you can't walk in a restuarant like a regular person would because you are always being followed and people wants autograph, photos etc.
It's nice to an actress or actor but education should be your first priority.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown, Guyana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
US approves setting up DEA office in Guyana Jul '14 ann gobin 2
Guyanese Gay Prostitutes Stabbed Dead, Suspect ... Jul '14 roopan singh 5
RT Minerals Corp. Announces Exclusive Explorati... Jul '14 Woodie 54 2
Drug Smuggler Busted for Hiding Cocaine in Suit... Jun '14 Woodie54 1
Jobs Jun '14 Woodie54 1
Over 130,000 school uniform vouchers released (Aug '10) Jun '14 Woodie54 15
United Arab Emirates and Guyana Negotiating Avi... May '14 Woodie54 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••