Brooklyn woman survives Guyana boat accident

Oct 27, 2008 Full story: International Herald Tribune 50

GEORGETOWN, Guyana : An American woman survived a deadly boat accident in Guyana by clinging to a bucket that helped keep her afloat in the muddy river for a day and a half, police said Monday.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Monica Han

United States

#1 Oct 29, 2008
This is very a very sad incident happen again, I think this same kind of tragdy happen last year. I think the Guyana Gorvernment should look into this kind of illegal business and try and find a safer aternative for the back tracker. I want to gave my deepest sympathy to all the victim family. Hello everyone, stop commuting illegally and take the legal boat to your distination. It might cause you a little more extra dollar but you will live to see another day.
gtxxclusive

Georgetown, Guyana

#2 Oct 29, 2008
There are talks about looking into these illegal entry from the govt,but these matters have to be dealth by both countries.The boat owners get their licence from Suriname not Guyana,so they collect passengers from Suriname and travel to Guyana
.My deepest sympathy to the victims family and relatives,this is a lesson we all learnt and would not encourage passengers to travel that route, go thriugh the normal and legal process.It would take time but save lives.
pilot 102

South River, NJ

#3 Oct 30, 2008
gtxxclusive wrote:
There are talks about looking into these illegal entry from the govt,but these matters have to be dealth by both countries.The boat owners get their licence from Suriname not Guyana,so they collect passengers from Suriname and travel to Guyana
.My deepest sympathy to the victims family and relatives,this is a lesson we all learnt and would not encourage passengers to travel that route, go thriugh the normal and legal process.It would take time but save lives.
Defending the Gov again.All you have to do is get the police to stop the passengers from unloading, at that point they are on the Guyana side of the river. The boat owners get their licences from Suriname but alot of them are Guyanese and the Gov is going to have a big problem if they are going to try and stop the crossing . You guys are just looking you for your own, not saying that is bad, but don't try to fool people. We are not that stupid.
pilot 102

South River, NJ

#4 Oct 30, 2008
gtxxclusive wrote:
You can hunt down the bad guys and execute them , but you can't stop illegal border crossing. lol
gtbq

Cape May, NJ

#5 Oct 30, 2008
how can a govt. encourage illegal business, find them a safer way to commit a crime.
are you for real?
Monica Han wrote:
This is very a very sad incident happen again, I think this same kind of tragdy happen last year. I think the Guyana Gorvernment should look into this kind of illegal business and try and find a safer aternative for the back tracker. I want to gave my deepest sympathy to all the victim family. Hello everyone, stop commuting illegally and take the legal boat to your distination. It might cause you a little more extra dollar but you will live to see another day.
gtxxclusive

Georgetown, Guyana

#6 Oct 31, 2008
According to commissioner of police Henry Green it is difficult to deal with speed boat operaters.He said the problem relating to Corentyne River is ongoing and the police cannot take a lead in the matter.Green also said only the Govt and Guyana Revenue Authority ,which controls Berbice Anti-Smuggling Squad,can address the illegality.
pilot 102

South River, NJ

#7 Oct 31, 2008
gtxxclusive wrote:
According to commissioner of police Henry Green it is difficult to deal with speed boat operaters.He said the problem relating to Corentyne River is ongoing and the police cannot take a lead in the matter.Green also said only the Govt and Guyana Revenue Authority ,which controls Berbice Anti-Smuggling Squad,can address the illegality.
What Green is saying is correct. The smuggling Squad is a political/PPP squad, he has no authority over them. What a Country, Revenue Authority in charge of border crossing.I wounder what they/Gov is up to. No wounder why Roger used that crossing to get away from the police.
gtxxclusive

Georgetown, Guyana

#8 Oct 31, 2008
pilot 102 wrote:
<quoted text>What Green is saying is correct. The smuggling Squad is a political/PPP squad, he has no authority over them. What a Country, Revenue Authority in charge of border crossing.I wounder what they/Gov is up to. No wounder why Roger used that crossing to get away from the police.
He got away and still get caught,I think you are been mislead and you are misinterpreting the whole scenario.
gtxxclusive

Georgetown, Guyana

#9 Nov 1, 2008
My deepest condolences to the family and relatives of the victims,this could of been some members of my family as well.The whole issue is people is seeing what is going on with these back track travelling and still decide to ply that route,the passengers should take note of the incident and practice safer travelling do the right thing go through the right process and save you lives.
pilot 102

South River, NJ

#10 Nov 1, 2008
gtxxclusive wrote:
My deepest condolences to the family and relatives of the victims,this could of been some members of my family as well.The whole issue is people is seeing what is going on with these back track travelling and still decide to ply that route,the passengers should take note of the incident and practice safer travelling do the right thing go through the right process and save you lives.
Please answer the following questions.If the crossing is illegal. Why is Immigration checking Passport ? Why is GRA collecting revenue plus tap up ? How many people have to be killed before Boss Man Jagdeo do something about it ?
gtxxclusive

Georgetown, Guyana

#11 Nov 1, 2008
Lets do a little comparison here,how many Cuban come to the U.S via back track.What is your U.S president doing about it?The same is happening in Guyana,people travel back track a lot some of them end up in mishap some die,would you blame a govt for that?
Veronica

Amstelveen, Netherlands

#12 Nov 1, 2008
pilot 102 wrote:
<quoted text>What Green is saying is correct. The smuggling Squad is a political/PPP squad, he has no authority over them. What a Country, Revenue Authority in charge of border crossing.I wounder what they/Gov is up to. No wounder why Roger used that crossing to get away from the police.
The anti smuggling squad belongs to the revenue (customs) authorities. Green never said it is a political /PPP squad that is your interpretation.
If there were water police then they would have fallen under Greenís authority.
Normal circumstances are water police when dealing with inland waterways and military police together with customs when dealing with borders, inspects and board boats.
Veronica

Amstelveen, Netherlands

#13 Nov 1, 2008
This whole scenario is quite fathomless.
Do these backtrackers leave and enter Guyana illegally?
Do they enter and leave Suriname illegally?
or
Do they enter and leave Suriname legally?

If the illegality is only on the Guyanese side and seeing it is a border river it falls automatically under military police and customs officials.
Customs because it has to do with not wanting to pay revenue and smuggling is an offence thus police involvement.
Being a border river it has to do with security issues henceforth the police involvement rests solely by the military police.
pilot 102

South River, NJ

#14 Nov 1, 2008
gtxxclusive wrote:
Lets do a little comparison here,how many Cuban come to the U.S via back track.What is your U.S president doing about it?The same is happening in Guyana,people travel back track a lot some of them end up in mishap some die,would you blame a govt for that?
Get your facts correct Pal, All Cubans have to do is step on US siol and they are accepted ino the USA. That is not back track. You don't have answers to my questions, say so.
pilot 102

South River, NJ

#15 Nov 1, 2008
Veronica wrote:
<quoted text>The anti smuggling squad belongs to the revenue (customs) authorities. Green never said it is a political /PPP squad that is your interpretation.
If there were water police then they would have fallen under Greenís authority.
Normal circumstances are water police when dealing with inland waterways and military police together with customs when dealing with borders, inspects and board boats.
You are correct Green did not say that, he is the COP and want to keep his job.But if you know how things work in Guyana you would see why I said that.The anit smuggling squad is a political squad, that is a fact.
Veronica

Amstelveen, Netherlands

#16 Nov 1, 2008
pilot 102 wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct Green did not say that, he is the COP and want to keep his job.But if you know how things work in Guyana you would see why I said that.The anit smuggling squad is a political squad, that is a fact.
To tell the truth Iíve started paying some attention to Gy. about a year now, so I naturally question most things. Its all new.

How can an anti smuggling squad be a political squad?
What has smuggling to do with politics?
Political refugees are not smuggled into the country.
common sense

Georgetown, Guyana

#17 Nov 1, 2008
pilot 102 wrote:
<quoted text> Defending the Gov again.All you have to do is get the police to stop the passengers from unloading, at that point they are on the Guyana side of the river. The boat owners get their licences from Suriname but alot of them are Guyanese and the Gov is going to have a big problem if they are going to try and stop the crossing . You guys are just looking you for your own, not saying that is bad, but don't try to fool people. We are not that stupid.
Pilot that crossing is illegal, the operative word is ILLEGAL hence the stelling/landing / waft where these small boats harbor and commuted business are all illegal.
common sense

Georgetown, Guyana

#18 Nov 1, 2008
pilot 102 wrote:
<quoted text> Defending the Gov again.All you have to do is get the police to stop the passengers from unloading, at that point they are on the Guyana side of the river. The boat owners get their licences from Suriname but alot of them are Guyanese and the Gov is going to have a big problem if they are going to try and stop the crossing . You guys are just looking you for your own, not saying that is bad, but don't try to fool people. We are not that stupid.
There is a safe route to Suriname and that is with a Ferry which takes longer to traverse the Corteyne River.
Worse case scenario if some thing happened to the ferry and it stared to sink (god forbid) the relevant authorities will response immediately because they have contact with the vessel, this is not so with these illegal speedboat the traverse the Corteyne river
pilot 102

South River, NJ

#19 Nov 1, 2008
Veronica wrote:
<quoted text>To tell the truth Iíve started paying some attention to Gy. about a year now, so I naturally question most things. Its all new.
How can an anti smuggling squad be a political squad?
What has smuggling to do with politics?
Political refugees are not smuggled into the country.
V, All you have to do is read as much as you can on this Forum, read all the online daily papers, and in a very short time you can see for yourself what is going on.I used to tell my friends they were angry that the PPP is in power , but aftre spending some time in Guyana very often, and dealing with some of the Gov Dept I got to see how things work. I also have friends who are what you call big shots in the Gov,My best friend is an advisor to the Prez,I worked to help get the PM and Dr Jagan Elected the first time they ran together and hosted them in New Jersey USA. V, I just dont shoot my mought off I know a few things.
Veronica

Amstelveen, Netherlands

#20 Nov 1, 2008
pilot 102 wrote:
<quoted text>V, All you have to do is read as much as you can on this Forum, read all the online daily papers, and in a very short time you can see for yourself what is going on.I used to tell my friends they were angry that the PPP is in power , but aftre spending some time in Guyana very often, and dealing with some of the Gov Dept I got to see how things work. I also have friends who are what you call big shots in the Gov,My best friend is an advisor to the Prez,I worked to help get the PM and Dr Jagan Elected the first time they ran together and hosted them in New Jersey USA. V, I just dont shoot my mought off I know a few things.
Pity you don't share what you know. We need glastnov. A few hours ago the shadow of an idea crop up in my mind it isnít crystallised as yet. I have no real evidence to support it but Iím thinking something psychological. Kind of psychological warfare. Might be way off base.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Demerara-Mahaica, Guyana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Guyana still at risk of blacklisting by FATF, s... Oct 19 roger khan 1
US approves setting up DEA office in Guyana Oct 12 the inspector 11
Guyana wants police probe of hacked emails Oct 9 the inspector 2
Conway physician honored as part of Black Histo... (Feb '10) Sep 27 Spare me 7
Guyanese Gay Prostitutes Stabbed Dead, Suspect ... Jul '14 roopan singh 5
RT Minerals Corp. Announces Exclusive Explorati... Jul '14 Woodie 54 2
Drug Smuggler Busted for Hiding Cocaine in Suit... Jun '14 Woodie54 1

Demerara-Mahaica, Guyana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE