Wind Farm Likely To Get Permit

Wind Farm Likely To Get Permit

There are 17 comments on the Mountain View Telegraph story from Dec 3, 2010, titled Wind Farm Likely To Get Permit. In it, Mountain View Telegraph reports that:

Requests for two special use permits one for a wind farm, the other for a shooting range are making their way through Torrance County government.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Mountain View Telegraph.

“American Sheepdog”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#1 Dec 4, 2010
The shooting range is worthy of permit. But what is the big Cuisinart farm going to give us again? It take a gazillion of them just to power a single town.

“Tu ne cede malis”

Since: Dec 06

Lots of different places

#2 Dec 5, 2010
Trin Tragula wrote:
The shooting range is worthy of permit. But what is the big Cuisinart farm going to give us again? It take a gazillion of them just to power a single town.
AND they run =ONLY= when the winds are blowing.
.
Sounds like some 'political winds' have been 'blowing,' whaddya think?
.
:o)
.
windmill

Edgewood, NM

#3 Jan 1, 2011
Obviously some people dont know anything about wind power and the green energy concept. Wind energy means jobs to the people and good economics for the towns involved. There is a lot of wind here in NM, why not wind farms?

“Tu ne cede malis”

Since: Dec 06

Lots of different places

#4 Jan 3, 2011
windmill wrote:
Obviously some people dont know anything about wind power and the green energy concept. Wind energy means jobs to the people and good economics for the towns involved. There is a lot of wind here in NM, why not wind farms?
"Jobs" you say?
.
For whom? The Chinese are making all of wind generators. No jobs here.
.
The wind blows for only a part of the time. What happens when it's not blowing sufficient to generate power?
.
What happens to those jobs when the wind isn't blowing? Do they still pay, and why would that be?
.
What about the birds Śmigratory and otherwiseŚ which get smacked dead by those things? No concern there, right?
.
Seems to me that you've not answered some really important questions ...

Since: Jan 10

Las Vegas, NV

#5 Jan 4, 2011
windmill wrote:
Obviously some people dont know anything about wind power and the green energy concept. Wind energy means jobs to the people and good economics for the towns involved. There is a lot of wind here in NM, why not wind farms?
If wind farms were really the answer, private industry would have cracked the code and they would be everywhere. The fact is that they are scams like everything progressive libs push.

This is the "Gun Forum". Go over the the "Homeless, Unemployed, Failed Communist Forum" for environmental issues.
grumpy gringo

Las Cruces, NM

#6 Jan 6, 2011
windmill wrote:
Obviously some people dont know anything about wind power and the green energy concept. Wind energy means jobs to the people and good economics for the towns involved. There is a lot of wind here in NM, why not wind farms?
Lemme see - the wind farm hardware will be made in China (w/o environmental protections of any sort), will be assemebled in this country by immigratnts of questionable legal status, and the profits will go to out-of-state energy companies?.
So the wind farms will benefit New Mexico HOW, exactly?

“Tu ne cede malis”

Since: Dec 06

Lots of different places

#7 Jan 6, 2011
grumpy gringo wrote:
So the wind farms will benefit New Mexico HOW, exactly?
Presumably by them declaring "Look: We've got wind farms!!"
.
Of course, that's akin to proclaiming to the world "Look: We've got warts!"
.
:o)
.
facts

United States

#8 Nov 3, 2011
just wanted to let everyone know that the turbines are not made in China, they are made right here in the US. While it is true that some of the steel cast parts are made in China due to the US Environmental constraints on our Steel Foundry's, these are produced in the US. Blades, Towers, and the Nacelle and Hubs. As far as jobs, the farms require roads to be built to access them for service and erection. as well as power lines to support them, fences to secure the roads, lifting cranes are typically contracted locally for setting the units up, servicemen/women are typically hired locally and then trained to support the farms. and it is estimated that retail sales and hotels increase many of these remote areas by as much as 200% during the time these farms are being set up. And just like in the fossil fuel industry, land owners are paid leases for their lands and their roads accessing the farms. While there are political positions for both sides, these are the facts.

Since: Oct 11

Austin, Texas

#9 Nov 3, 2011
facts wrote:
just wanted to let everyone know that the turbines are not made in China, they are made right here in the US. While it is true that some of the steel cast parts are made in China due to the US Environmental constraints on our Steel Foundry's, these are produced in the US. Blades, Towers, and the Nacelle and Hubs. As far as jobs, the farms require roads to be built to access them for service and erection. as well as power lines to support them, fences to secure the roads, lifting cranes are typically contracted locally for setting the units up, servicemen/women are typically hired locally and then trained to support the farms. and it is estimated that retail sales and hotels increase many of these remote areas by as much as 200% during the time these farms are being set up. And just like in the fossil fuel industry, land owners are paid leases for their lands and their roads accessing the farms. While there are political positions for both sides, these are the facts.
Other facts, some turbines are built in the US, some in China. Who knows which ones they will use. Other facts, after the very temporary bumb in hotels and sales and construction, you still have these turbines that don't generate enough electricity to cover the costs of building them or maintaining them, let alone the enviromental costs.
Law

Omaha, NE

#10 Nov 3, 2011
facts wrote:
just wanted to let everyone know that the turbines are not made in China, they are made right here in the US. While it is true that some of the steel cast parts are made in China due to the US Environmental constraints on our Steel Foundry's, these are produced in the US. Blades, Towers, and the Nacelle and Hubs. As far as jobs, the farms require roads to be built to access them for service and erection. as well as power lines to support them, fences to secure the roads, lifting cranes are typically contracted locally for setting the units up, servicemen/women are typically hired locally and then trained to support the farms. and it is estimated that retail sales and hotels increase many of these remote areas by as much as 200% during the time these farms are being set up. And just like in the fossil fuel industry, land owners are paid leases for their lands and their roads accessing the farms. While there are political positions for both sides, these are the facts.
The hotel/motel point was not the case in either of Iowa's large wind farm projects.
Tragisauras in Oregon

Estacada, OR

#11 Jan 12, 2012
I was searching for a wind job after graduating wind tech school recently, when I stumbled onto this forum. My first question is what have you bought lately that isn't made in China, and if you can get our industry back here....That's great GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! Truth is my family and I are out of work due to this economy we are in, and the wind industry has offered me a great career with awesome benefits and pay. They come into small communities and reconstruct roads, build jobs for locals, and increase local business sales. Anyone who has experienced this in this economy inside these towns is greatful. As for the issue of migratory birds......I kill more of those suckers with my 870 than any single wind turbine ever has in a year! The largest complaint about them is the view they obstruct for people like you! You would rather have a coal plant 500 miles away blacking out the sky for miles, or gas FRACKING going on killing animals and streams as long as it doesn't affect you. I challenge you to go onto YOUTUBE and look up FRACKING and then give your opinion on wind energy when your educated on the subject. By the way the power these are producing offsets the production cost with the constant technology developments these days! No offense intended....just get educated on the subject before you give an opinion. Moving on now, hope you and your family have a good life, don't turn your gas stove up to high tonight your killing animals! I gotta go split some would, hope I don't kill a spotted owl!

“Tu ne cede malis”

Since: Dec 06

Lots of different places

#12 Jan 13, 2012
Tragisauras in Oregon wrote:
I was searching for a wind job after graduating wind tech school recently, when I stumbled onto this forum. My first question is what have you bought lately that isn't made in China, and if you can get our industry back here....That's great GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! Truth is my family and I are out of work due to this economy we are in, and the wind industry has offered me a great career with awesome benefits and pay. They come into small communities and reconstruct roads, build jobs for locals, and increase local business sales. Anyone who has experienced this in this economy inside these towns is greatful. As for the issue of migratory birds......I kill more of those suckers with my 870 than any single wind turbine ever has in a year! The largest complaint about them is the view they obstruct for people like you! You would rather have a coal plant 500 miles away blacking out the sky for miles, or gas FRACKING going on killing animals and streams as long as it doesn't affect you. I challenge you to go onto YOUTUBE and look up FRACKING and then give your opinion on wind energy when your educated on the subject. By the way the power these are producing offsets the production cost with the constant technology developments these days! No offense intended....just get educated on the subject before you give an opinion. Moving on now, hope you and your family have a good life, don't turn your gas stove up to high tonight your killing animals! I gotta go split some would, hope I don't kill a spotted owl!
Your 'industry' is a dead end future.
.
The wind doesn't move 24/7, and in most locations you're lucky if it moves at all.
.
Wind power works for small scale uses, such as pumping water on a farm, but even then it's spotty.
.
And as for your remark regarding migratory birds? It's obvious that you're inconsiderate, if you think that random killing of other creatures is acceptable in order that you make money.
.
There are large wind farms which are abandoned at several locations in the U.S. as elsewhere. And, people are getting angry that they're being socked with taxes to pay for subsidies to the owners of the existing farms.
.
Why should anyone be made to pay for something which isn't even working?
.
I suggest you seek other employment.
Operating engineer

Boise, ID

#13 May 30, 2012
Highlander wrote:
<quoted text>
Your 'industry' is a dead end future.
.
The wind doesn't move 24/7, and in most locations you're lucky if it moves at all.
.
Wind power works for small scale uses, such as pumping water on a farm, but even then it's spotty.
.
And as for your remark regarding migratory birds? It's obvious that you're inconsiderate, if you think that random killing of other creatures is acceptable in order that you make money.
.
There are large wind farms which are abandoned at several locations in the U.S. as elsewhere. And, people are getting angry that they're being socked with taxes to pay for subsidies to the owners of the existing farms.
.
Why should anyone be made to pay for something which isn't even working?
.
I suggest you seek other employment.
I have worked on wind farms for three years now, the money I make probably is not the highest in the economy today, however it has kept myself and my family surviving in todays economy. First off every farm I have worked on wind blows more than 300 days a year....secondly... It takes approx 5mph winds to turn a turbine, more often then not, the only time they are not spinning is due to too much energy being created... They only spin when power is needed.... Or they are shut down for maintenance, ie the blades are yawed so they don't catch wind and typically sit with two class up and one straight down.... Last of all there are much more important things to worry about in todays world than wind farms.... Like the fact national debt is skyrocketing because the citizens of this beautiful country turn there head and won't stand up to our oppressive government that is leading us down the path to destruction..... So with all due respect, every point of yours had been determined a loss on your side, find something else to cry about
Law

Omaha, NE

#14 May 30, 2012
Operating engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
I have worked on wind farms for three years now, the money I make probably is not the highest in the economy today, however it has kept myself and my family surviving in todays economy. First off every farm I have worked on wind blows more than 300 days a year....secondly... It takes approx 5mph winds to turn a turbine, more often then not, the only time they are not spinning is due to too much energy being created... They only spin when power is needed.... Or they are shut down for maintenance, ie the blades are yawed so they don't catch wind and typically sit with two class up and one straight down.... Last of all there are much more important things to worry about in todays world than wind farms.... Like the fact national debt is skyrocketing because the citizens of this beautiful country turn there head and won't stand up to our oppressive government that is leading us down the path to destruction..... So with all due respect, every point of yours had been determined a loss on your side, find something else to cry about
The 5 mph winds are not enough to overcome resistance and even then the generator set is not running anywhere peak efficiency. Second, you say they only spin when needed?? How is that determined off-grid?
Operating Engineer

Boise, ID

#15 Jun 17, 2012
http://www.energy.siemens.com/hq/pool/hq/powe...

scroll down to page 6 and tell me again it wont overcome resistance... at 5 it is still creating power even tough it is no full speed rotation.... also not all are off grid.... most are off grid while installation is occuring and then are put into the system after words... the ones i am on currently are actually being plumbed into the power companys and are having lines run to them while installation is occuring. Because they have all the computers and power units built into them there is no need to have a control operator scanning through and turning them on when needed they adjust outputs themselves as needed
Operating Engineer

Boise, ID

#16 Jun 17, 2012
so you are correct i was wrong
1 meter / second = 2.23693629 mph

which means in all reality at 2 mph it starts producing power not 5mph
my deepest apologies
Billy Bob

Belen, NM

#17 Apr 15, 2014
don't know much about trigonometry, but this is a very windy place to live here in the center of NM. Small scale wind is one good way to go, really, put up a 2000 watt wind turbine, and a solar panel, build a cinder block house for a battery bank, back up generator and regulator system, and get off the grid. All it takes is a wad of cash.
For that matter, we have all the engineering expertise here in town to start our own factory making small scale turbines. These tall towers run turbines with megawatts of power, but the local wind farm we have now over by Willard was built with Texas money, feeds the grid in Arizona, and was built by out of state professionals, not locals. Still it is way better than the so called wood burning plant they were gonna build south of Estancia. It would be better if local resources were used for local benefit. Guns don't kill people, bullets do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Appeals court upholds MD assault weapons ban Sat American Patriot 417
News Senate votes to allow concealed carry without p... Sat American Patriot 2
Former University Professor Suggests the NRA Is... Sat Get Out 3
News $25 Million Dollars Pledged To Stop Concealed C... Apr 20 payme 8
News Constitutional carry bills have South Carolina ... Apr 19 Leslie Fish 3
News Bristol Palin is engaged (May '15) Apr 19 Fish o watha 69
News Grandfather says three teenage armed robbers 'd... Apr 17 javawhey 41
More from around the web