Firearms rally scheduled for Chambers...

Firearms rally scheduled for Chambersburg's square

There are 10952 comments on the Chambersburg Public Opinion story from Mar 29, 2013, titled Firearms rally scheduled for Chambersburg's square. In it, Chambersburg Public Opinion reports that:

Two local organizations are hosting a Second Amendment Freedom Rally on from noone to 2 p.m. April 6 on Courthouse Plaza in downtown Chambersburg.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chambersburg Public Opinion.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#9924 Oct 29, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
Keys words from your link:
"....consistent with the hypothesis that the availability of lethal means increases the rate of completed suicide."

NOT factual proof.

Also not proof that the mere presence of a firearm leads to the increased RISK of suicide, as you stated. Firearms may be a more efficient means to an end, but that does NOT mean they are the cause.

Southeast Virginia

#9925 Oct 29, 2013
....or the reason for the suicide attempt.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#9926 Oct 29, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Keys words from your link:
"....consistent with the hypothesis that the availability of lethal means increases the rate of completed suicide."
NOT factual proof.
Also not proof that the mere presence of a firearm leads to the increased RISK of suicide, as you stated. Firearms may be a more efficient means to an end, but that does NOT mean they are the cause.
I'm sorry - where did I say "cause?"

My statement was, "Persons in households without guns are less likely to attempt suicide at all." And according to the empirical research, that statement is true.

Chambersburg, PA

#9927 Oct 29, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
....or the reason for the suicide attempt.
I never said that guns are the reason either, did I?

Southeast Virginia

#9928 Oct 29, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm sorry - where did I say "cause?"
My statement was, "Persons in households without guns are less likely to attempt suicide at all." And according to the empirical research, that statement is true.
What "emperical research"??? Your statement is not supported by your link. That is a conclusion that YOU jumped to.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#9929 Oct 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Source please.
Obvious to all but the oblivious.

Chambersburg, PA

#9932 Oct 29, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Obvious to all but the oblivious.
Right. You don't have an objective, empirical source.

Just like I thought.

LOL!

Chambersburg, PA

#9933 Oct 29, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
What "emperical research"??? Your statement is not supported by your link. That is a conclusion that YOU jumped to.
My link was to empirical research. Your inability to understand the source doesn't mean it doesn't support my statement.

Boggy Creek

#9934 Oct 29, 2013
PrinceofDarkness wrote:
<quoted text>
so their results do not support dan's statement?.. if guns increase the rate of completed suicide, so lack of guns would not diminish suicide attempts? If this is too complex for you armed vetard, you are one serious fu-kup. Maybe you should be watching cartoons.
CONCLUSION:
Household firearm ownership levels are strongly associated with higher rates of suicide, consistent with the hypothesis that the availability of lethal means increases the rate of completed suicide.
The completed suicide rate in Japan hasn't changed much, just the number of suicides who used guns. You like comparing everything to Japan. The number of suicides by gun have dropped while the overall suicide rate has remained the same. What does that tell ya, Sunshine? People who are intent on committing suicide will use whatever means are available. DUH!

Boggy Creek

#9935 Oct 29, 2013
How about these statistics?

There are 2,500,000 deaths per year in the USA.

There are 32,000 "gun" deaths per year in the USA.

That means that %1.28 of the deaths per year in the USA are "gun" deaths. That also means that an individual has a %98.72 chance of being killed by something other than a gun.

While we all agree that innocent people being killed by any means for any reason is horrific and must be addressed, statistics can be used to maximize or minimize anything you like.

Chambersburg, PA

#9936 Oct 29, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>The completed suicide rate in Japan hasn't changed much, just the number of suicides who used guns. You like comparing everything to Japan. The number of suicides by gun have dropped while the overall suicide rate has remained the same. What does that tell ya, Sunshine? People who are intent on committing suicide will use whatever means are available. DUH!
LMAO! You're just making shit up! There hasn't been a change in gun ownership in Japan - they have and have had some of the strictest gun laws in the world.

There hasn't been higher gun suicides in the past and a shift to other means to commit suicide. What would have caused that supposed shift anyway - there has been on change in gun laws.

And the suicide rate in Japan is falling, not remaining level.

You just make it up as you go, desperately trying to support your discredited beliefs any way possible - including fabricating "facts" out of thin air.

Your desperation is hilarious. Please keep it up - you amuse me to no end.

LOL!

Boggy Creek

#9937 Oct 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Right. You don't have an objective, empirical source.
Just like I thought.
LOL!
So now I'm required to provide objective, empirical sources to support your claims? Don't be ridiculous. The question is; How many of your 32000 "gun" deaths are suicides with a history multiple attempts?

Just like you thought???? Another lie! It's obvious that you don't think. You let BBG do the thinking for you.

Keep laughing Danny Boy, the joke's still on you.

Boggy Creek

#9939 Oct 29, 2013
<quoted text>
LMAO! You're just making shit up! There hasn't been a change in gun ownership in Japan - they have and have had some of the strictest gun laws in the world.
There hasn't been higher gun suicides in the past and a shift to other means to commit suicide. What would have caused that supposed shift anyway - there has been on change in gun laws.
And the suicide rate in Japan is falling, not remaining level.
You just make it up as you go, desperately trying to support your discredited beliefs any way possible - including fabricating "facts" out of thin air.
Your desperation is hilarious. Please keep it up - you amuse me to no end.
LOL!
Holy crap! Are you really this inept? You just COMPLETELY AGREED WITH ME. Japan has some of the strictest gun control policies in the world and it has had virtually no impact on their suicide rate which is still one of the highest in the civilized world. What does that tell ya? Could it be that people who are intent on suicide will not be deterred by the absence of a firearm? Ya think? Your above post supports that conclusion. It's obvious to all but the oblivious.

Desperation? Don't flatter yourself (even though you've made a career of it).

Keep laughing Danny Boy, the joke's still on you.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#9940 Oct 29, 2013
GenPatton wrote:
<quoted text>
So, just because you deem it as a mistake, makes it fact?
I don't think so.
Oh, when it comes out of your mouth- or what other alias you are currently using- we can be sure it is wrong, and an outright lie.

Location hidden

#9941 Oct 29, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>The completed suicide rate in Japan hasn't changed much, just the number of suicides who used guns.
Funny how the gun gnutters compare suicides in Japan but then run in the opposite direction when some then tries to compare gun deaths.

More people are killed by guns in the USA on ANY one day than in a YEAR in Japan.

Location hidden

#9942 Oct 29, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Source please.
QUOTE:
Gun owners and their families are much more likely to kill themselves than are non-gun-owners. A 2008 study by Miller and David Hemenway, HICRC director and author of the book Private Guns, Public Health, found that rates of firearm suicides in states with the highest rates of gun ownership are 3.7 times higher for men and 7.9 times higher for women, compared with states with the lowest gun ownership—though the rates of non-firearm suicides are about the same. A gun in the home raises the suicide risk for everyone: gun owner, spouse and children alike.

Boggy Creek

#9943 Oct 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how the gun gnutters compare suicides in Japan but then run in the opposite direction when some then tries to compare gun deaths.
More people are killed by guns in the USA on ANY one day than in a YEAR in Japan.
I've held from the very start that Japan is a poor comparison to the USA in any respect but hey, if you gun-grabbers want to keep bringing it up I'll keep showing you how it doesn't work in your favor.

Boggy Creek

#9944 Oct 29, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
QUOTE:
Gun owners and their families are much more likely to kill themselves than are non-gun-owners. A 2008 study by Miller and David Hemenway, HICRC director and author of the book Private Guns, Public Health, found that rates of firearm suicides in states with the highest rates of gun ownership are 3.7 times higher for men and 7.9 times higher for women, compared with states with the lowest gun ownership—though the rates of non-firearm suicides are about the same. A gun in the home raises the suicide risk for everyone: gun owner, spouse and children alike.
Let's see. There are 32000 "gun" deaths per year in the USA. According you in one of your earlier posts %40 of them are suicides.

That equals 12,800 "gun" suicides. Correct?

There are 2,500,000 deaths per year in the USA.

So %0.512 of the annual deaths are "gun" suicides. This means that an individual has a %99.488 chance of not committing suicide with a gun.

Location hidden

#9945 Oct 29, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Let's see. There are 32000 "gun" deaths per year in the USA. According you in one of your earlier posts %40 of them are suicides.
I am responsible for what I say.

Not for what liars like you make up and attribute to me and then insist I said it.

That is why I have no problem quoting you exactly and why you have to make my "quote" up.

Wipe your chin, Squishy.

Location hidden

#9946 Oct 29, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>I've held from the very start that Japan is a poor comparison to the USA in any respect
Except when you need to insist on using it.

Most people understand the difference between comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

But you insist you want to compare apples to shag carpeting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Largest maker of bump stocks will stop acceptin... 59 min Into The Night 578
News Lash Hansborough: Second Amendment no longer ap... 7 hr The Green Watchdog 9
Shooting at Lake Hefner Restaurant in OKC 15 hr The Green Watchdog 5
News Trump's plan will seek to 'harden' schools agai... 17 hr Shelly Bl 1,562
News Committee rejects bill to arm teachers Thu Joseph DeDominicis 3
News Texas Moms Demand Action President Charged for ... Thu judy 16
News Saratoga proposes firearm safety ordinance May 19 WTF 2