Firearms rally scheduled for Chambersburg's square

Mar 29, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chambersburg Public Opinion

Two local organizations are hosting a Second Amendment Freedom Rally on from noone to 2 p.m. April 6 on Courthouse Plaza in downtown Chambersburg.

Comments
7,701 - 7,720 of 11,004 Comments Last updated Apr 3, 2014

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were serious about relating gun deaths to car deaths, you would be making an apples to apples comparison such as vehicle accidents to gun accidents? And even with ALL those safety requirement of testing and insurance, etc. vehicle accidents far surpass firearm accidents every year.
Fatalities per 100,000 people = apples to apples.

Cars: 10.3
Firearms: 10.3

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Squach wrote:
It is clearly intended for national defense even from our own government should it ever become necessary as well as defense of home and freedom. They knew that the government they were creating could become a threat to the security of a FREE STATE. You can corrupt by omission as well.
Yes, clearly.

LOL!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You have to register your car just as you have to register a handgun. If you want to carry your gun in public you need a permit (which requires either a training course or military service), much the same as a car, sans the military training option.
Handguns have incorporated many safety features in the last 20 years, just as automobiles.
The only real difference is the insurance function of the automobile, which I have no issue with having liability insurance for a personal weapon any more than I do for my car.
However back to the point that you just glossed over as you usually do is that cars in fact kill more individuals that do guns per day. Where is your outrage? Or is it selective just as is your facts?
All my cars are registered. None of my guns are.

I have a carry permit and I never took any training.

And we agree that mandatory liability insurance for gun ownership is a good idea. Are you pushing your legislators for that.

Cars kill at the same rate as guns. But if nothing was being done to make cars safer (and they are CONSTANTLY making cars safer) then I'd be outraged about that too.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
All my cars are registered. None of my guns are.
I have a carry permit and I never took any training.
And we agree that mandatory liability insurance for gun ownership is a good idea. Are you pushing your legislators for that.
Cars kill at the same rate as guns. But if nothing was being done to make cars safer (and they are CONSTANTLY making cars safer) then I'd be outraged about that too.
If you have a handgun and it is not registered then you did not buy it in a gun shop. Kinda flies in the face of you claims of gun safety when you don't abide by the rules that you believe should be in place.

The following regulations were established by the Gun Control Act of 1968.

People engaged in selling firearms as a business must have a federal firearms license (FFL). Individuals and collectors are allowed to sell and trade their firearms without this license, but it is illegal to earn a living selling firearms without it. When purchasing a firearm from an FFL, a Form 4473 (also known as the "Yellow Form") and Form 77 must be filled out. The dealer must also record the sale in his bound-book (similar to a transaction log).(Form 77 was not established by this law, but is an effort by licensed firearms dealers to promote safety and lessen dealer liability.)

The Form 4473 contains the name, address, driver license information, NICS background check transaction number, serial number and model of the firearm, and a short federal affidavit stating that the purchaser is eligible to purchase firearms under federal law. Lying on this form is a felony and can be punished by up to five years in prison in addition to fines, even if the transaction is denied by the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

The Form 77 is a short form indicating that the purchaser of the weapon is knowledgeable about the function of the weapon and basic safety rules. The purchaser must also attest that the dealer has explained these rules such that the customer understood them.

The dealer must keep the Form 4473 for twenty years and is subject to inspection by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (BATF or just ATF). The dealer also records all information from the form 4473 into his bound-book. A dealer must keep this log the entire time he is in business and is required to surrender the log to the ATF upon retirement from the firearms business.

In addition, the sale of two or more handguns within five days to the same person must be reported to the ATF via a Form 3310.4.

So what your really saying is that you want control over what safety features are being put in place for firearms? Firearms are consistently being evaluated and updated with safety upgrades. What safety features do you believe that they are lacking?

But yet your outraged over guns but not cars. Once again Dan your very disingenuous with your replies.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have a handgun and it is not registered then you did not buy it in a gun shop. Kinda flies in the face of you claims of gun safety when you don't abide by the rules that you believe should be in place.

So what your really saying is that you want control over what safety features are being put in place for firearms? Firearms are consistently being evaluated and updated with safety upgrades. What safety features do you believe that they are lacking?
But yet your outraged over guns but not cars. Once again Dan your very disingenuous with your replies.
No, I did not buy them in a gun shop. There are no laws against that. If there were, I would abide by them.

I do not have any interest in controlling anybody or anything. My interest is bringing the death rate from guns way, way down.

Mandatory locks, child-proof guns, personalized/intelligent safety features, and others.

Again, if you'd take time to read, I've said more than once that the RATES are nearly identical. You do understand what that means, right?
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
No, I did not buy them in a gun shop. There are no laws against that. If there were, I would abide by them.
I do not have any interest in controlling anybody or anything. My interest is bringing the death rate from guns way, way down.
Mandatory locks, child-proof guns, personalized/intelligent safety features, and others.
Again, if you'd take time to read, I've said more than once that the RATES are nearly identical. You do understand what that means, right?
You state that you have no interest in controlling anybody or anything, yet you want to mandate additional laws on top of what we currently have. And you don't consider this control?

Again if your intent is to reduce the death rate, where are your protests in regards to automobiles,... they kill approx 32,885 a year (2010 stats) which is almost double that of firearms?
What

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
is with you southern goobers? Do you regularly use your cars as weapons? The rest of the world knows what cars and guns are made for.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Without guns, individuals wouldn't kill 30 people a day in this country. The issue isn't totally eliminating killing. The issue is bringing down the high rate; a rate that is only made possible by the ease with which you can kill with a gun.
Now see? this logic is seriously flawed. There are many ways to kill 30 people or more in a few minutes. Ask any suicide bomber. Oh, that's right! You can't because the bomber and 20 or 30 others are dead. Something as simple as rupturing a gas line in a basement and leaving a cigarette/matchbook fuse could kill everyone in the building. How about IEDs? Should we require background checks for the purchase of pressure cookers? One can purchase the ingredients to make "bathtub plastic explosives" at the local Walmart and hardware store. You're not addressing the problem with gun control. As long as there are violent criminals and psychos walking around free to do as they please, the problem will persist. The pathological mind will find a means to its end. So if you really want to reduce the killing, reduce the number of homicidal maniacs and criminals on our streets otherwise you've done nothing but given the black market a boost. Plain and simple.

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
It was clearly intended to establish a militia for the security of a free state. It was clearly intended to provide for the defense of the nation. That's not a corruption - that's a historically accurate reading.
No, that is clearly a partially accurate reading. Once again you attempt corruption by omission.

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Yes, clearly.
LOL!
Laugh all you like Danny Boy, the joke is on you. Too bad you're too deeply influenced by propaganda to realize it. It's people like you who will never realize the extreme importance and the true intent of the 2nd amendment until it's too late.
I guess

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Squach wrote:
<quoted text>
. There are many ways to kill 30 people or more in a few minutes.
speculation along those lines is something you do?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
You state that you have no interest in controlling anybody or anything, yet you want to mandate additional laws on top of what we currently have. And you don't consider this control?
Again if your intent is to reduce the death rate, where are your protests in regards to automobiles,... they kill approx 32,885 a year (2010 stats) which is almost double that of firearms?
I told you - it's not about control. It's about safety. I support whatever works.

And what part of "fatalities per 100,000 people" don't you understand? But firearms and cars both kill about 10.3 people per 100,000 - same RATE.

And since when is 32,885 a year "almost double" 31,328 (2010 stats)? Looks like they kill at pretty much the same NUMBER as RATE, huh?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities by 2015

The number of people killed by firearms in the US is projected to exceed traffic fatalities for the first time in 2015.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-19/amer...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Now see? this logic is seriously flawed. There are many ways to kill 30 people or more in a few minutes. Ask any suicide bomber. Oh, that's right! You can't because the bomber and 20 or 30 others are dead. Something as simple as rupturing a gas line in a basement and leaving a cigarette/matchbook fuse could kill everyone in the building. How about IEDs? Should we require background checks for the purchase of pressure cookers? One can purchase the ingredients to make "bathtub plastic explosives" at the local Walmart and hardware store. You're not addressing the problem with gun control. As long as there are violent criminals and psychos walking around free to do as they please, the problem will persist. The pathological mind will find a means to its end. So if you really want to reduce the killing, reduce the number of homicidal maniacs and criminals on our streets otherwise you've done nothing but given the black market a boost. Plain and simple.
How many people are killed by bombs in the US every year? 32,000?

How many are killed by IEDs? 32,000?

How many are killed by pressure cookers? 32,000?

How many are killed by "bathtub plastic explosives? 32,000?

Can you see yet? As Americans, we address any source of a significant number of deaths.

Except guns, right?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Squach wrote:
<quoted text>No, that is clearly a partially accurate reading. Once again you attempt corruption by omission.
LOL!

Keep trying.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Laugh all you like Danny Boy, the joke is on you. Too bad you're too deeply influenced by propaganda to realize it. It's people like you who will never realize the extreme importance and the true intent of the 2nd amendment until it's too late.
It's always SSDD with you.

Listen friend - you're so deeply influenced by wingnut propaganda to realize you're the gun industry's dupe.

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

I guess wrote:
<quoted text>
speculation along those lines is something you do?
Damn, are all of you gun grabbers complete idiots? Firearms aren't the only way (not even the most effective way) to kill a lot of people. I didn't "speculate" about anything. What I said is a simple fact of life, which is the part you don't get, I guess. All it takes to make black powder is charcoal, saltpeter, and sulfur. It ain't rocket science. Will need to submit to a background check every time I want to buy a bag of Kingsford? As long as there are criminals/extremists/psychos walking free among us the problem will persist. The individuals who plot to kill innocent people, whatever their insane reasons may be, will not be deterred in the slightest by gun control laws.

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
How many people are killed by bombs in the US every year? 32,000?
How many are killed by IEDs? 32,000?
How many are killed by pressure cookers? 32,000?
How many are killed by "bathtub plastic explosives? 32,000?
Can you see yet? As Americans, we address any source of a significant number of deaths.
Except guns, right?
So what you're saying is that guns are the American criminal/psycho "weapon of choice". If your gun control laws could prevent the lawless from obtaining firearms (we both know that is impossible) you're saying that the killers would just give up and stop killing? Really? They wouldn't choose another method when so many are readily available? What will you do when they do choose another method? Ban whatever it is? And then the next method? Ban that too? Pretty soon every damn thing will be banned. Is that when you'll finally realize that we should have banned criminals and homicidal psychos? Pardon me if I don't wait for you to have that epiphany and work to stop your silliness as soon as possible.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

Squach wrote:
<quoted text>So what you're saying is that guns are the American criminal/psycho "weapon of choice". If your gun control laws could prevent the lawless from obtaining firearms (we both know that is impossible) you're saying that the killers would just give up and stop killing? Really? They wouldn't choose another method when so many are readily available? What will you do when they do choose another method? Ban whatever it is? And then the next method? Ban that too? Pretty soon every damn thing will be banned. Is that when you'll finally realize that we should have banned criminals and homicidal psychos? Pardon me if I don't wait for you to have that epiphany and work to stop your silliness as soon as possible.
Here's the thing you won't/can't seem to comprehend:
Only a fraction of gun killings are committed by psychos and people who were already criminals when they did the shooting.

You act like nobody but criminals and psychos kill people, and there's simply no evidence to back that theory up. You believe it because you WANT to believe it.

You believe it because it gives you an excuse to do NOTHING about 32,000 of your fellow citizens dying by guns every single year.

The question is whether you are remaining ignorant and misinformed on purpose or if you honestly don't have the brain power to understand.

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
It's always SSDD with you.
Listen friend - you're so deeply influenced by wingnut propaganda to realize you're the gun industry's dupe.
Nah, the industry hasn't got a damn thing to do with my individual rights or the constitution. There is good and bad in the firearms industry just like everything else in life, I don't pay much attention to them. I'm influenced by reality, history, and the constitution.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••