States with strict gun laws found to have fewer shooting deaths

Mar 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Reuters

States that have more laws restricting gun ownership have lower rates of death from shootings, both suicides and homicides, a study by researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University found.

Comments
4,581 - 4,600 of 5,070 Comments Last updated Aug 27, 2013

“So long to you, Righties”

Since: Jan 12

keep suckin' and whiffin'!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Marauder wrote:
..jabber, jabber...Here are the FACTS...that YOU call "a silly little phrase" that's "laughable and embarrassing"
FACT...More murders are committed with blunt objects than murdres committed with rifles.
Murders by Weapons
Weapons 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
Blunt objects 647 603 623 549 496
(clubs, hammers,
etc.)
Rifles 453 380 351 367 323
...jabber....
I never said a word about "rifles," so obviously your comments aren't relevant - anymore than they're rational, intelligent, or mature.

GFY, loser, to use your own language so you'll understand.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, perfesser, in case you have not noticed, the street gangs and criminals ALREADY have them.
It is impossible to "prevent" what already exists.
It is your stupidity that we oppose. Your "solutions" are ridiculous and unenforcable on street gangs and criminals.
They already have them because they're incredibly numerous and easy to access, genius. Were they HARD to obtain, and were you taking guns OUT of circulation by criminals and gang-bangers, their numbers would drop and gangs would be much less well-armed.

This isn't rocket science, Mr. Wring-My-Hands-And-Give-Up-On- Violence...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Mr NaughtyBits wrote:
<quoted text>
What causes street gangs?
Do guns cause street gangs, or do OUTLAWED drugs cause street gangs?
If the drugs are no longer outlawed, will there still be street gangs? And if so, why would that be?
Prior to the outlawry of personal drug use, there weren't any street gangs, and neither was there a gun problem.
So, when are YOU going to ADDRESS the REAL problem?
I certainly never said "guns (or drugs) cause street gangs," so I don't know what you're talking about.

Drugs have more to do with supporting and continuing gangs and gang violence than guns, probably, which is why I support decriminalization of drugs.

Oh, and there were street gangs LONG before drug use, did you ever see 'Gangs of New York?' Fictional, but representative of OLD-time gang violence.

Poverty is one of the leading causes of gangs and gang violence, FWIW.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said a word about "rifles," so obviously your comments aren't relevant - anymore than they're rational, intelligent, or mature.
GFY, loser, to use your own language so you'll understand.
Since when did rifles become something other than a gun?

Oh. Now I remember.
Ever since you chose to include or disregard a thing at will, based solely on when it is convenient for your purpose, or detrimental to your purpose.
Must be nice to have rules that apply only to others.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
They already have them because they're incredibly numerous and easy to access, genius. Were they HARD to obtain, and were you taking guns OUT of circulation by criminals and gang-bangers, their numbers would drop and gangs would be much less well-armed.
This isn't rocket science, Mr. Wring-My-Hands-And-Give-Up-On- Violence...
You are correct. It is not rocket science. That's why we are wondering why you still have it all mixed up in your little ball of mush.

"Were they HARD to obtain"

They ain't. They weren't. They won't.
They will STILL be easy to get on the black market.
Your proposal will make it even easier to get on the black market. Why? Because you just took the product away from a large group of sellers. What does that do to a REAL LIFE market? Makes it explode.

You are attempting to take away a desire, from a human, for an inanimate object by taking away the object. That INCREASES desire in the imperfect human animal.
You did not have kids huh.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Drugs have more to do with supporting and continuing gangs and gang violence than guns, probably, which is why I support decriminalization of drugs.
Oh, and there were street gangs LONG before drug use, did you ever see 'Gangs of New York?' Fictional, but representative of OLD-time gang violence.
"Drugs have more to do with supporting and continuing gangs and gang violence than guns,"

Your proposal will uh, "cure" that.

"which is why I support decriminalization of drugs."

I suspect that is pure bullshit. You support legalized drugs for your own reasons.
Proof?
You just said legalizing drugs will decrease gangs and gang violence because their product is illegal. Out the other side of your mouth, you claim that making ANOTHER of their products illegal will have the exact opposite effect.

"Oh, and there were street gangs LONG before drug use"

BULLSHIT!!!

Seems to me that Cain and Able carried grapejuice in goat skins - in the desert.
Seems to me that mind altering herbs have been around since before the advent of man. Man "used" them too when he hit the scene. Mother Earth manufactured drugs predate man, in ID, Creationism, and big bang. On that point they all agree.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. Now I remember.
Ever since you chose to include or disregard a thing at will, based solely on when it is convenient for your purpose, or detrimental to your purpose.
I said "GUNS," asshat. Rifles are a SUBSET of "guns." Handguns kill FAR more people than rifles.

Don't pretend to be even more stupid than you are.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"Drugs have more to do with supporting and continuing gangs and gang violence than guns,"
Your proposal will uh, "cure" that.
"which is why I support decriminalization of drugs."
I suspect that is pure bullshit. You support legalized drugs for your own reasons.
Proof?
You just said legalizing drugs will decrease gangs and gang violence because their product is illegal. Out the other side of your mouth, you claim that making ANOTHER of their products illegal will have the exact opposite effect.
"Oh, and there were street gangs LONG before drug use"
BULLSHIT!!!
Seems to me that Cain and Able carried grapejuice in goat skins - in the desert.
Seems to me that mind altering herbs have been around since before the advent of man. Man "used" them too when he hit the scene. Mother Earth manufactured drugs predate man, in ID, Creationism, and big bang. On that point they all agree.
Jesus H. Kee-rist...are you the most arrogant, dishonest asshat on these boards or just striving for that title?

Your post is the worst collection of strawmen, lies, spin, and outright nonsense I've seen recently. And that takes in a lot of territory.

Get lost if you can't debate honestly or intelligently, punk. I'm done with your imbecilic posts.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus H. Kee-rist...are you the most arrogant, dishonest asshat on these boards or just striving for that title?
Your post is the worst collection of strawmen, lies, spin, and outright nonsense I've seen recently. And that takes in a lot of territory.
Get lost if you can't debate honestly or intelligently, punk. I'm done with your imbecilic posts.
So you are now denying that you wrote this > "Drugs have more to do with supporting and continuing gangs and gang violence than guns, probably, which is why I support decriminalization of drugs." ?

You are pissed only because it was your winky in the weed whacker and you put it there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
I said "GUNS," asshat. Rifles are a SUBSET of "guns." Handguns kill FAR more people than rifles.
You are incorrect in your assertion.
Neither rifles nor handguns, nor any other kind or description of "gun" have ever killed anyone.
They are inanimate objects and therefore incapable of self action.
The correct way to say what you tried to say is:

Handguns ARE USED TO kill far more people than rifles.
Anti-Fascism

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
A human need and longing for a sense of belonging.
A sense that your homies have your back when your family does not.
A knowing that they are in the same boat together, unwanted and abandoned by their own families, and it is usually their fathers.
Humans are pack animals. When one pack shuns them and does not watch out for them, they find, or form a new pack.
Legalizing drugs will not make that go away.
Legalizing drugs is better argued in a different context that speaks to freedom of the individual to make their own choices.
I agree that the #1 reason for 'legalizing' drugs is for individual freedom to choose what they want to put in their body. It's their right.

The extra incentive for those not really inclined to care about that much [sadly] would also be to point out how drugs being illegal [by fascist law] does help immensely in funding gang warfare, whether in many major cities in the U.S. or Mexico (cartel), among many places around the world, of course.

The government doesn't bring this up because it destroys their agenda, which is to gain [power, control] from such things.

Just the other day (as I'm sure happens *every* day) some police officer said he *believed* he smelled marijuana coming from the persons' car, then this supposedly gave him "probable cause" to take the woman out and search her and the car.

He turned out to be wrong, if memory is correct.

Tyranny, right before our very eyes.

But the people are lulled and brainwashed into thinking "If you fight for legalizing drugs, you must want to do them!"

Again, it's the "Well, I'm not doing them / I don't own them, so who cares if the government infringes upon *your* rights concerning those things? Ha!" type of garbage which is pretty common today, sadly.

Most people don't care about other peoples' rights until their own start getting trampled on. They don't realize that if we don't stand up for others' rights, even if we deem what they do with those rights "immoral" when doing those things to themselves, then eventually that tyranny will come knocking in our own door one day and by that time, it'll be too late to change our mind and try to stop it.

"Useful idiots," as they say.

I know, I'm 'preaching to choir'- I just have to get it out there though, maybe for others to read it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the matter son? That shoe pinches the other foot huh.
spocko

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for proving what a neutered, non-reading, non-comprehending, idiot YOU are. The air must be really thin on top of that pedestal you have yourself on.
Thank you for addressing absolutely nothing from Dr Sniper’s post…YOU are an idiot.
Is there an echo in here?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Anti-Fascism wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that the #1 reason for 'legalizing' drugs is for individual freedom to choose what they want to put in their body. It's their right.
The extra incentive for those not really inclined to care about that much [sadly] would also be to point out how drugs being illegal [by fascist law] does help immensely in funding gang warfare, whether in many major cities in the U.S. or Mexico (cartel), among many places around the world, of course.
The government doesn't bring this up because it destroys their agenda, which is to gain [power, control] from such things.
Just the other day (as I'm sure happens *every* day) some police officer said he *believed* he smelled marijuana coming from the persons' car, then this supposedly gave him "probable cause" to take the woman out and search her and the car.
He turned out to be wrong, if memory is correct.
Tyranny, right before our very eyes.
But the people are lulled and brainwashed into thinking "If you fight for legalizing drugs, you must want to do them!"
Again, it's the "Well, I'm not doing them / I don't own them, so who cares if the government infringes upon *your* rights concerning those things? Ha!" type of garbage which is pretty common today, sadly.
Most people don't care about other peoples' rights until their own start getting trampled on. They don't realize that if we don't stand up for others' rights, even if we deem what they do with those rights "immoral" when doing those things to themselves, then eventually that tyranny will come knocking in our own door one day and by that time, it'll be too late to change our mind and try to stop it.
"Useful idiots," as they say.
I know, I'm 'preaching to choir'- I just have to get it out there though, maybe for others to read it.
Keep them fingers singing AF.
I enjoy listening to them sing. Triggers ideas and forgotten points that others bring up. It breeds more ammo. Pen being more powerful and all.
Fight on.
Gotta run ... projects and meetings today.
Later.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there an echo in here?
"Thank you for proving what a neutered, non-reading, non-comprehending, idiot YOU are. The air must be really thin on top of that pedestal you have yourself on.
Thank you for addressing absolutely nothing from Dr Sniper’s post…YOU are an idiot."

You may be right.
Mr NaughtyBits

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Knives, fists & feet, stones, clubs, rocks, water, etc., etc., etc.

Virtually all of them are involved in death, many of which are involved in more incidents than mere guns.

Guns don't cause death, yet YOU appear to be 'Mesmerized' by the idea that 'gunz' are the whole reason that you post here.

I get the idea that if 'gunz' weren't around, that YOU would have to invent them in order to pitch a bitch about them!
Mr NaughtyBits

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. Now I remember.
Since when were guns invented for killing?

I asked that question and you danced that silly dance of yours around the idea that they were made to kill.

So, I ask again: WHAT MAKER of whatever gun has said —and will say— that his device is 'made to kill?'

GOT DATA?

Just because a device has been ADAPTED to a purpose, that does NOT mean that the adapted purpose is THE ONLY purpose.

So, RIGHT BACK AT YOU!
Anti-Fascism

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
I certainly never said "guns (or drugs) cause street gangs," so I don't know what you're talking about.
Poverty is not what causes "gang violence" though.

It's personal immoral beliefs which cause immoral behavior (gang violence), stemming many times from a lack of good parenting and then personal choice as an adult to continue such ways of thinking.

My grandparents grew up very poor (grandfather dropped out of 7th grade to go work for 2-3 pennies a day, literally); they did not turn into ravenous thugs on the streets; why? They were raised in a moral, discipline environment.

"Poverty = crime" <-- That's a lie.

And no matter what happens after narcotics are legalized, even if the gangs continued their warfare (their problem) I'll always be for the legalization of those narcotics because the #1 reason is: every individual has a RIGHT to put what they want in *their own* body, unless it hurts someone else in the process (pregnant woman doing drugs = bad = criminal!- as an example).

Our rights *are not* dependent upon one, or many, who choose to abuse them; they're here no matter what bunch of thugs or criminals choose to do with theirs. We don't punish the innocent for what the guilty choose to do with the power they have.

We don't finally choose to "legalize" natural rights simply because it'll bring down crime here, or there.

We legalize these things because they're our rights to choose to do them freely or not. Any other *positive* which follows is just "icing on the cake". Any *negative* which follows is the individuals' problem to deal with concerning what they individually chose to do with the power given to them.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Mr NaughtyBits wrote:
<quoted text>
Knives, fists & feet, stones, clubs, rocks, water, etc., etc., etc.
Virtually all of them are involved in death, many of which are involved in more incidents than mere guns.
Guns don't cause death, yet YOU appear to be 'Mesmerized' by the idea that 'gunz' are the whole reason that you post here.
I get the idea that if 'gunz' weren't around, that YOU would have to invent them in order to pitch a bitch about them!
Distractions, evasions, spin, lies, and BS...virtually all of them are involved in your posts.

"Guns don't cause death" is one of the dumbest lies ever told in the history of mankind. In fact, 30,000 a year die of gun violence.

Shouldn't you be less of a moron, turd-boy?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Mr NaughtyBits wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when were guns invented for killing?
I asked that question and you danced that silly dance of yours around the idea that they were made to kill.
So, I ask again: WHAT MAKER of whatever gun has said —and will say— that his device is 'made to kill?'
GOT DATA?
Just because a device has been ADAPTED to a purpose, that does NOT mean that the adapted purpose is THE ONLY purpose.
So, RIGHT BACK AT YOU!
Guns are used to kill. What else are they good for? TELL ME, idiot.

They kill people....they kill animals....even target shooting is PRACTICE TO KILL.

So when are you going to present an intelligent argument?

ps - I think you meant that post for me, I doubt if WY-wackjob would disagree with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••