Obama may push for ban on assault weapons

Oct 17, 2012 Full story: The Indian Express 668

Democratic President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney engaged in a rare tussle over gun control on Tuesday, and Obama opened the door to pushing for a ban on assault weapons if he wins a second term.

Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Chester, VA

#411 Nov 16, 2012
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Corporations donít speak, their agents and representatives do speak. Are you suggesting because of their association with corporations they should be denied equal protection under the law?
Who is we?
BS. You know as little about this as you do the financial crisis. Corporations "speak" when they advertise their products. If the advertisement is false, it is the corporation that pays the fine.

BP just pleaded guilty to two counts of negligent homicide. Why would BP do that if BP could not kill someone?

They speak just like they own property.

Do you understand the difference between a CEO speaking for the Corporation and a CEO speaking on his own in the form of personal speech?

Chester, VA

#412 Nov 16, 2012
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should I be forced to register every gun in my collection? They were all purchased legally, theyíre owned legally and used legally. Whatís the problem?
Why should I undergo a background check for every purchase? I hold two concealed carry permits. Iíve already endured two background checks.
First, from your post above, who is being "punished?"

Second, the danger weapons in general present to American society make it a prudent action in the event of theft. It also makes it easier to return them to you provided they are stolen.

However, I completely understand your reluctance. I would offer an out. If you agree to be held personally responsible for any gun of yours used in a crime whether or not it is stolen then you should not have to register your weapon(s).
Dr Freud

Iceland

#413 Nov 16, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
BS. You know as little about this as you do the financial crisis. Corporations "speak" when they advertise their products. If the advertisement is false, it is the corporation that pays the fine.
BP just pleaded guilty to two counts of negligent homicide. Why would BP do that if BP could not kill someone?
Do you understand the difference between a CEO speaking for the Corporation and a CEO speaking on his own in the form of personal speech?
Got yo 'bama pho' yet?
Baal

Austin, TX

#414 Nov 16, 2012
Good luck with that, I do not own any such weapons myself but if the police or military come for the rifle I do have I will deal with them and inherit their assault rifles.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#415 Nov 16, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously don't understand the terms "flipper" and "other investors."
Anyone else buying a home that they could not afford were told by a lender that they could afford the home.
You obviously do not understand that the mortgage system in the US works on trust. The first line of trust is the lender doing "due dilligence" in ensuring that the borrower has the credit history, work record, income AND that they can afford the home based on the money they owe to others.
Youíre obviously oblivious to the fact many people purchased homes they couldnít afford. They were able to make the interest only payments or low introductory interest rate. These folks weren't flippers or investors.

Are you one of those who would believe the lending institution has your best interest in mind? Itís the responsibility of the buyer to live on a balanced budget, not the lender.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#416 Nov 16, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your head permanently implanted in your ass?

Again, who is we? You and your liberal wanker kin?
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#417 Nov 16, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Second, the danger weapons in general present to American society make it a prudent action in the event of theft. It also makes it easier to return them to you provided they are stolen.
However, I completely understand your reluctance. I would offer an out. If you agree to be held personally responsible for any gun of yours used in a crime whether or not it is stolen then you should not have to register your weapon(s).
What about the OTHER dangerous weapons around the home you own? Kitchen knives blunt objects ect. that are not registered? Should you be held accountable if a kitchen knife is stolen and used to commit a murder? Knives and cutting weapons have killed more humans over the course of history than guns. As far as returning my property guns have serial numbers if you report it stolen and include the numbers then the police will have no problem returning it if it is found the same as my TV or stereo which are also not registered. Your argument to impose an infringment on gun owners doesn't hold water.
Dr Freud

Iceland

#418 Nov 16, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> What about the OTHER dangerous weapons around the home you own? Kitchen knives blunt objects ect. that are not registered? Should you be held accountable if a kitchen knife is stolen and used to commit a murder? Knives and cutting weapons have killed more humans over the course of history than guns. As far as returning my property guns have serial numbers if you report it stolen and include the numbers then the police will have no problem returning it if it is found the same as my TV or stereo which are also not registered. Your argument to impose an infringment on gun owners doesn't hold water.
"Your argument to impose an infringment on gun owners doesn't hold water."

Nothing else it posts holds water either, which is why I post only harassment comments to it.
If after several dozen posts to reveal the truth of matters, to someone intent upon remaining utterly stupid, I don't waste any more time with critical assessment. Rather, I either don't respond at all (as why should I?), or I merely harass. Consider it just comeuppance for the entirely inanity with which they themselves engage.
I would invite others to adopt that tactic, as a means of flushing these forums of the turds which seem to gravitate here. Let them be made to circle the toilet bowl of the guns forum!
Save your efforts for those genuinely seeking knowledge.

Washington, DC

#419 Nov 16, 2012
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Youíre obviously oblivious to the fact many people purchased homes they couldnít afford. They were able to make the interest only payments or low introductory interest rate. These folks weren't flippers or investors.
Are you one of those who would believe the lending institution has your best interest in mind? Itís the responsibility of the buyer to live on a balanced budget, not the lender.
I am not oblivious at all. I said corporate greed. Now what kind of corporation approves a loan based on a teaser rate knowing that when the loan resets their income will not qualify them for the loan (they can't make the payments?) And these people were told "Don't worry about it. By the time the reset comes around you will be able to refinance."

When it comes to mortgages and the US financial system, it is the responsibility of the lender to be honest to those buying the loans. This is not just talk, it is the law.

Why do you think Bank of America has paid Fannie, Freddie and others BILLIONS based on what Countrywide did? Wells Fargo has paid MILLIONS for Golden West's crimes.

When it comes to other types of loans, you have a point. Mortgages are different.

Washington, DC

#420 Nov 16, 2012
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your head permanently implanted in your ass?
Again, who is we? You and your liberal wanker kin?
Does your back hurt from you having your head up your ass?

Point out one time I used the word "we" in my explanation of reality for you.

Since: Jan 08

Grants Pass, OR

#421 Nov 16, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see, already had a firearm stolen, over 4 years of fighting with the POlice and they finally found who bought it from the pawn shop but refused to recover it for me. Oh and the weapon is not reported as stolen and the person who stole it and pawned it was never charged.
Also last year I recieved a notice from Florida atf office that 5 or 6 of my firearms have been seized in a criminal raid. Funny thing is, 3 of the listed weapons I have never owned, the other 2 I received when my father died, so no paperwork, and I ended up trading in on other firearms. The last one I may have owned however no specifics such as caliber was listed. And I traded that hk in at a dealer.

Basically your ideas are full of it...

Washington, DC

#422 Nov 16, 2012
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> What about the OTHER dangerous weapons around the home you own? Kitchen knives blunt objects ect. that are not registered? Should you be held accountable if a kitchen knife is stolen and used to commit a murder? Knives and cutting weapons have killed more humans over the course of history than guns. As far as returning my property guns have serial numbers if you report it stolen and include the numbers then the police will have no problem returning it if it is found the same as my TV or stereo which are also not registered. Your argument to impose an infringment on gun owners doesn't hold water.
Hey, I can include it all. That is up to you. By the way, don't forget that CWP for your knife.

Washington, DC

#423 Nov 16, 2012
talon7351 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see, already had a firearm stolen, over 4 years of fighting with the POlice and they finally found who bought it from the pawn shop but refused to recover it for me. Oh and the weapon is not reported as stolen and the person who stole it and pawned it was never charged.
Also last year I recieved a notice from Florida atf office that 5 or 6 of my firearms have been seized in a criminal raid. Funny thing is, 3 of the listed weapons I have never owned, the other 2 I received when my father died, so no paperwork, and I ended up trading in on other firearms. The last one I may have owned however no specifics such as caliber was listed. And I traded that hk in at a dealer.
Basically your ideas are full of it...
Your story illustrates the need for a comprehensive system.

Which Police Dept and what guns? Serial numbers will help. I bet I can get some police fired.
Dr Freud

Iceland

#424 Nov 16, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your back hurt from you having your head up your ass?
Point out one time I used the word "we" in my explanation of reality for you.
Got yo 'bama pho' yet?
Dr Freud

Iceland

#425 Nov 16, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your story illustrates the need for a comprehensive system.
Which Police Dept and what guns? Serial numbers will help. I bet I can get some police fired.
Got yo 'bama pho' yet?
Dr Freud

Iceland

#426 Nov 16, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I can include it all. That is up to you. By the way, don't forget that CWP for your knife.
Got yo 'bama pho' yet?
Tray

Oxford, MS

#427 Nov 17, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
"Your argument to impose an infringment on gun owners doesn't hold water."
Nothing else it posts holds water either, which is why I post only harassment comments to it.
If after several dozen posts to reveal the truth of matters, to someone intent upon remaining utterly stupid, I don't waste any more time with critical assessment. Rather, I either don't respond at all (as why should I?), or I merely harass. Consider it just comeuppance for the entirely inanity with which they themselves engage.
I would invite others to adopt that tactic, as a means of flushing these forums of the turds which seem to gravitate here. Let them be made to circle the toilet bowl of the guns forum!
Save your efforts for those genuinely seeking knowledge.
Good point. I just like pulling the wings off annoying flies.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#428 Nov 17, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dodge duck dodge. How about answering the question.

Baltimore, MD

#429 Nov 17, 2012
Dr Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Got yo 'bama pho' yet?
Unlike you, I am not eligable; however, I did get my bottle of 'bama beer.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#430 Nov 17, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not oblivious at all. I said corporate greed. Now what kind of corporation approves a loan based on a teaser rate knowing that when the loan resets their income will not qualify them for the loan (they can't make the payments?) And these people were told "Don't worry about it. By the time the reset comes around you will be able to refinance."
When it comes to mortgages and the US financial system, it is the responsibility of the lender to be honest to those buying the loans. This is not just talk, it is the law.
Why do you think Bank of America has paid Fannie, Freddie and others BILLIONS based on what Countrywide did? Wells Fargo has paid MILLIONS for Golden West's crimes.
When it comes to other types of loans, you have a point. Mortgages are different.
So, the buyer has no responsibility if they canít afford the mortgage?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 3 hr Professor of Math... 12,100
Texas open carry is shooting itself in the foot 14 hr Independent1 9
Open Carry Activist Charged With Shooting Ex-Hu... Dec 13 Here Is One 3
Ferguson braces for grand jury decision Dec 11 Vern5554566 4
Deer Hunting Time Dec 9 kurtcooksalot16 1
Bill would stiffen background checks Dec 8 Independent1 3
SAFE Act PROTEST draws crowd in Lewis County (Jun '13) Dec 7 lowville resident 4
More from around the web