Psychiatrists Explain Why Disarming t...

Psychiatrists Explain Why Disarming the 'Mentally Ill' Won't Prevent Mass Murders

There are 53 comments on the Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph story from Oct 16, 2013, titled Psychiatrists Explain Why Disarming the 'Mentally Ill' Won't Prevent Mass Murders. In it, Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph reports that:

Two articles published today in Mayo Clinic Proceedings question the effectiveness of trying to prevent mass shootings by keeping guns away from "mentally ill individuals."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph.

HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#22 Oct 26, 2013
Psychiatric Diagnosis: Too Little Science, Too Many Conflicts of Interest [i]

Paula J. Caplan, Ph.D.

Harvard University

Snip:

The Concerns

There is a lot of pain and suffering in the world, and it is tempting to believe that the mental health community knows how to help. It is widely believed, both by mental health professionals and the general population, that if only a person gets the right psychiatric diagnosis, the therapist will know what kind of measures will be the most helpful. Unfortunately, that is not usually the case, and getting a psychiatric diagnosis can often create more problems than it solves, including a lifetime of being labeled, difficulties with obtaining affordable (or any) health insurance (due to now having a pre-existing condition), loss of employment, loss of child custody, the overlooking of physical illnesses and injuries because of everything being attributed to psychological factors, and the loss of the right to make decisions about one’s medical and legal affairs. The creation and use of psychiatric diagnosis, unlike, for instance, psychiatric drugs, is not overseen by any regulatory body, and rarely does anyone raise the question of what role the assignment of a psychiatric label has played in creating problems for individuals.[ii]

The Problematic History

These serious limitations have not prevented the authors of the American Psychiatric Association’s (APA) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), sometimes known as “the therapist’s Bible,” from making expansive claims about their knowledge and authority and wielding enormous power to decide who will and will not be called mentally ill and what the varieties of alleged mental illness will be. The DSM’s current edition is called DSM-IV-TR, and it was preceded by the original DSM (in 1952), then DSM-II (1968), DSM-III (1980), DSM-III-R (Third Edition Revised)(1987), DSM-IV (1994), and DSM-IV-TR (2000). The DSM-V is currently in preparation and slated for 2013 publication. Each time a new edition appears, the media ask whichever psychiatrist is the lead editor why a new edition was necessary, and like clockwork, each editor replies that it was because the previous edition really wasn’t scientific (Caplan, 1995). And each time a new edition appears, it contains many more categories than does the previous one. For instance, DSM-III-R contained 297 categories, and DSM-IV contained 374 (Caplan, 1995).

I served as an advisor to two of the DSM-IV committees, before resigning due to serious concerns after witnessing how fast and loose they play with the scientific research related to diagnosis (Caplan, 1995). The DSM is widely used, not only in the mental health system, but also in general medical practice, in schools, and in the courts. I have been involved since 1985 in trying to alert both therapists and the public to the manual’s unscientific nature and the dangers that believing in its objectivity poses. Since then, I have watched with interest a national trend toward gradually increasing openness to the idea that psychiatric diagnosis (A)is largely unscientific,(B)is highly subjective and political, and (C)can cause untold harm, ranging from the patients’ lowered self-confidence to loss of custody of children to loss of health insurance (because any psychiatric label can be considered evidence of a pre-existing condition) to loss of the right to make decisions about their medical and legal affairs.

More of this article:

http://awpsych.org/index.php...
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#23 Oct 26, 2013
Psychiatry: An industry of death

&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player

Psychiatry No Science

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#24 Oct 27, 2013
Not doing the mind drugs would stop the mental disorders and killings in the society.

Death, violence, erratic behavior and the suicide by mind drugs

Public cases

http://ssristories.com/index.php

Soldier Cases

http://www.ssristories.com/index.php...
AdamLanzaVaccine Victim

Winnipeg, Canada

#25 Jan 7, 2014
Starts with vaccine injury, ends in mass murder
anonymousnetruth teller

Omaha, NE

#26 Jan 7, 2014
AdamLanzaVaccineVictim wrote:
Starts with vaccine injury, ends in mass murder
Actually vaccines do absolutely no brain dammage and people don't shoot people after getting vaccines
humanSpirit

Waldo, FL

#27 Jan 8, 2014
HumanSpirit wrote:
Not doing the mind drugs would stop the mental disorders and killings in the society.
Death, violence, erratic behavior and the suicide by mind drugs
Public cases
http://ssristories.com/index.php
Soldier Cases
http://www.ssristories.com/index.php...
Pharmaceutical or Mental Health Industry must have bought out SSRISTORIES considering the removal of deaths and the excuses aimed at the persons and not the drugs as before. Insulting is using the same links
DUH

Winnipeg, Canada

#29 Jan 10, 2014
anonymousnetruthteller wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually vaccines do absolutely no brain dammage and people don't shoot people after getting vaccines
look what it's done to you

“shall NOT be infringed”

Since: Oct 13

Phoenix

#30 Jan 11, 2014
"Crazy" people in governments kill a LOT more than "crazy" people on the streets do. Disarm the governments.
2ndAmtard

Ashburn, VA

#31 Jan 11, 2014
2ndAmRight wrote:
"Crazy" people in governments kill a LOT more than "crazy" people on the streets do. Disarm the governments.
do you beat your meat while you drive? you could kill someone while you are looking for you meat...

“shall NOT be infringed”

Since: Oct 13

Phoenix

#32 Jan 11, 2014
2ndAmtard wrote:
<quoted text>
do you beat your meat while you drive? you could kill someone while you are looking for you meat...
No freak, I don't need tweezers and a magnifying glass like you do.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#34 Jan 11, 2014
2ndAmRight wrote:
"Crazy" people in governments kill a LOT more than "crazy" people on the streets do. Disarm the governments.
&fe ature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#35 Jan 11, 2014
Great article: mental health experts were unable to find a link to violence and mental illness.

So what's causing school shootings. Has to be poor treatment (bullying for example), anger and revenge. Bullying (or unfair treatment) can happen at the workplace too.

That indicates an interesting fact about mass shooting: it can be a rational response (sometimes NOT an immoral response). But why would anyone murder small children ? Don't forget, parents, moms, and relatives also murder small children. This indicates the murder is an act of revenge. Killing children would be the ultimate act of revenge.

Some people think muder is a fair and just act of revenge if they are violated. For example some people think all criminals should be put to death.

“shall NOT be infringed”

Since: Oct 13

Phoenix

#36 Jan 11, 2014
Tory II wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2LrbsUVSVl8XX&feature=pla yer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Yeah, I know. There's a whole YouTube channel devoted to police brutality. As well as a number of websites. And these freaks want us disarmed? Not a friggin' chance.

“shall NOT be infringed”

Since: Oct 13

Phoenix

#37 Jan 11, 2014
Tory II wrote:
Great article: mental health experts were unable to find a link to violence and mental illness.
So what's causing school shootings. Has to be poor treatment (bullying for example), anger and revenge. Bullying (or unfair treatment) can happen at the workplace too.
That indicates an interesting fact about mass shooting: it can be a rational response (sometimes NOT an immoral response). But why would anyone murder small children ? Don't forget, parents, moms, and relatives also murder small children. This indicates the murder is an act of revenge. Killing children would be the ultimate act of revenge.
Some people think muder is a fair and just act of revenge if they are violated. For example some people think all criminals should be put to death.
Actually, there's some compelling evidence that some of the psychotropic drugs being prescribed may play a role. In other words, these freaks are creating "mass murderers" with their criminal medications approved by the 'fda'.

Since: Jan 14

Omaha, NE

#38 Jan 12, 2014
2ndAmRight wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, there's some compelling evidence that some of the psychotropic drugs being prescribed may play a role. In other words, these freaks are creating "mass murderers" with their criminal medications approved by the 'fda'.
Actually in most cases they were off there meds

“shall NOT be infringed”

Since: Oct 13

Phoenix

#39 Jan 12, 2014
anonymousnetruthteller wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually in most cases they were off there meds
Residual effects.

“shall NOT be infringed”

Since: Oct 13

Phoenix

#40 Jan 12, 2014
anonymousnetruthteller wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually in most cases they were off there meds
Every mass shooting over last 20 years has one thing in common... and it's not guns

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger

Editor of NaturalNews.com

...The following list of mass shooting perpetrators and the drugs they were taking or had been taking shortly before their horrific actions was compiled and published to Facebook by John Noveske, founder and owner of Noveske Rifleworks just days before he was mysteriously killed in a single car accident. Is there a link between Noveske's death and his "outting" of information numerous disparate parties would prefer to suppress, for a variety of reasons?

I leave that to the individual readers to decide. But there is most certainly a documented history of people who "knew too much" or were considered a "threat" dying under extraordinarily suspicious circumstances.

From Katherine Smith, a Tennessee DMV worker who was somehow involved with several 9/11 hijackers obtaining Tennessee Drivers Licenses, and was later found burned to death in her car, to Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Gary Webb, who exposed a CIA Operation in the 80's that resulted in the flooding of LA Streets with crack cocaine and was later found dead from two gunshot wounds to the head, but was officially ruled as a "suicide", to Frank Olson, a senior research micro biologist who was working on the CIA's mind control research program MKULTRA.

After Olson expressed his desire to leave the program, he was with a CIA agent in a New York hotel room, and is alleged to have committed "suicide" by throwing himself off the tenth floor balcony. In 1994, Olson's sons were successful in their efforts to have their fathers body exhumed and re examined in a second autopsy by James Starrs, Professor of Law and Forensic science at the National Law Center at George Washington University. Starr's team concluded that the blunt force trauma to the head and injury to the chest had not occurred during the fall but most likely in the room before the fall. The evidence was called "rankly and starkly suggestive of homicide." Based on his findings, in 1996 the Manhattan District Attorney opened a homicide investigation into Olson's death, but was unable to find enough evidence to bring charges.

As I said, I leave it to the individual readers to make up their own minds if Noveske suffered a similar fate. On to the list of mass shooters and the stark link to psychotropic drugs.

• Eric Harris age 17 (first on Zoloft then Luvox) and Dylan Klebold aged 18 ...

- NaturalNews.com

“shall NOT be infringed”

Since: Oct 13

Phoenix

#41 Jan 12, 2014
• Jeff Weise, age 16, had been prescribed 60 mg/day of Prozac (three times the average starting dose for adults!) when he shot his grandfather, his grandfather's girlfriend and many fellow students at Red Lake, Minnesota. He then shot himself. 10 dead, 12 wounded.

• Cory Baadsgaard, age 16, Wahluke (Washington state) High School, was on Paxil (which caused him to have hallucinations) when he took a rifle to his high school and held 23 classmates hostage. He has no memory of the event.

• Chris Fetters, age 13, killed his favorite aunt while taking Prozac.

• Christopher Pittman, age 12, murdered both his grandparents while taking Zoloft.

• Mathew Miller, age 13, hung himself in his bedroom closet after taking Zoloft for 6 days.

• Kip Kinkel, age 15,(on Prozac and Ritalin) shot his parents while they slept then went to school and opened fire killing 2 classmates and injuring 22 shortly after beginning Prozac treatment.

• Luke Woodham, age 16 (Prozac) killed his mother and then killed two students, wounding six others.

• A boy in Pocatello, ID (Zoloft) in 1998 had a Zoloft-induced seizure that caused an armed stand off at his school.

• Michael Carneal (Ritalin), age 14, opened fire on students at a high school prayer meeting in West Paducah, Kentucky. Three teenagers were killed, five others were wounded..

• A young man in Huntsville, Alabama (Ritalin) went psychotic chopping up his parents with an ax and also killing one sibling and almost murdering another.

• Andrew Golden, age 11,(Ritalin) and Mitchell Johnson, aged 14,(Ritalin) shot 15 people, killing four students, one teacher, and wounding 10 others.

• TJ Solomon, age 15,(Ritalin) high school student in Conyers, Georgia opened fire on and wounded six of his class mates.

• Rod Mathews, age 14,(Ritalin) beat a classmate to death with a bat.

• James Wilson, age 19,(various psychiatric drugs) from Breenwood, South Carolina, took a .22 caliber revolver into an elementary school killing two young girls, and wounding seven other children and two teachers.

• Elizabeth Bush, age 13,(Paxil) was responsible for a school shooting in Pennsylvania

• Jason Hoffman (Effexor and Celexa)– school shooting in El Cajon, California

• Jarred Viktor, age 15,(Paxil), after five days on Paxil he stabbed his grandmother 61 times.

• Chris Shanahan, age 15 (Paxil) in Rigby, ID who out of the blue killed a woman.

• Jeff Franklin (Prozac and Ritalin), Huntsville, AL, killed his parents as they came home from work using a sledge hammer, hatchet, butcher knife and mechanic's file, then attacked his younger brothers and sister.

• Neal Furrow (Prozac) in LA Jewish school shooting reported to have been court-ordered to be on Prozac along with several other medications.

• Kevin Rider, age 14, was withdrawing from Prozac when he died from a gunshot wound to his head. Initially it was ruled a suicide, but two years later, the investigation into his death was opened as a possible homicide. The prime suspect, also age 14, had been taking Zoloft and other SSRI antidepressants.

• Alex Kim, age 13, hung himself shortly after his Lexapro prescription had been doubled.

• Diane Routhier was prescribed Welbutrin for gallstone problems. Six days later, after suffering many adverse effects of the drug, she shot herself.

• Billy Willkomm, an accomplished wrestler and a University of Florida student, was prescribed Prozac at the age of 17. His family found him dead of suicide – hanging from a tall ladder at the family's Gulf Shore Boulevard home in July 2002....

“shall NOT be infringed”

Since: Oct 13

Phoenix

#42 Jan 12, 2014
...• Kara Jaye Anne Fuller-Otter, age 12, was on Paxil when she hung herself from a hook in her closet. Kara's parents said ".... the damn doctor wouldn't take her off it and I asked him to when we went in on the second visit. I told him I thought she was having some sort of reaction to Paxil...")

• Gareth Christian, Vancouver, age 18, was on Paxil when he committed suicide in 2002,(Gareth's father could not accept his son's death and killed himself.)

• Julie Woodward, age 17, was on Zoloft when she hung herself in her family's detached garage.

• Matthew Miller was 13 when he saw a psychiatrist because he was having difficulty at school. The psychiatrist gave him samples of Zoloft. Seven days later his mother found him dead, hanging by a belt from a laundry hook in his closet.

• Kurt Danysh, age 18, and on Prozac, killed his father with a shotgun. He is now behind prison bars, and writes letters, trying to warn the world that SSRI drugs can kill.

• Woody __, age 37, committed suicide while in his 5th week of taking Zoloft. Shortly before his death his physician suggested doubling the dose of the drug. He had seen his physician only for insomnia. He had never been depressed, nor did he have any history of any mental illness symptoms.

• A boy from Houston, age 10, shot and killed his father after his Prozac dosage was increased.

• Hammad Memon, age 15, shot and killed a fellow middle school student. He had been diagnosed with ADHD and depression and was taking Zoloft and "other drugs for the conditions."

• Matti Saari, a 22-year-old culinary student, shot and killed 9 students and a teacher, and wounded another student, before killing himself. Saari was taking an SSRI and a benzodiazapine.

• Steven Kazmierczak, age 27, shot and killed five people and wounded 21 others before killing himself in a Northern Illinois University auditorium. According to his girlfriend, he had recently been taking Prozac, Xanax and Ambien. Toxicology results showed that he still had trace amounts of Xanax in his system.

• Finnish gunman Pekka-Eric Auvinen, age 18, had been taking antidepressants before he killed eight people and wounded a dozen more at Jokela High School – then he committed suicide.

• Asa Coon from Cleveland, age 14, shot and wounded four before taking his own life. Court records show Coon was on Trazodone.

• Jon Romano, age 16, on medication for depression, fired a shotgun at a teacher in his New York high school....

Since: Jan 14

Omaha, NE

#43 Jan 12, 2014
2ndAmRight wrote:
...• Kara Jaye Anne Fuller-Otter, age 12, was on Paxil when she hung herself from a hook in her closet. Kara's parents said ".... the damn doctor wouldn't take her off it and I asked him to when we went in on the second visit. I told him I thought she was having some sort of reaction to Paxil...")
• Gareth Christian, Vancouver, age 18, was on Paxil when he committed suicide in 2002,(Gareth's father could not accept his son's death and killed himself.)
• Julie Woodward, age 17, was on Zoloft when she hung herself in her family's detached garage.
• Matthew Miller was 13 when he saw a psychiatrist because he was having difficulty at school. The psychiatrist gave him samples of Zoloft. Seven days later his mother found him dead, hanging by a belt from a laundry hook in his closet.
• Kurt Danysh, age 18, and on Prozac, killed his father with a shotgun. He is now behind prison bars, and writes letters, trying to warn the world that SSRI drugs can kill.
• Woody __, age 37, committed suicide while in his 5th week of taking Zoloft. Shortly before his death his physician suggested doubling the dose of the drug. He had seen his physician only for insomnia. He had never been depressed, nor did he have any history of any mental illness symptoms.
• A boy from Houston, age 10, shot and killed his father after his Prozac dosage was increased.
• Hammad Memon, age 15, shot and killed a fellow middle school student. He had been diagnosed with ADHD and depression and was taking Zoloft and "other drugs for the conditions."
• Matti Saari, a 22-year-old culinary student, shot and killed 9 students and a teacher, and wounded another student, before killing himself. Saari was taking an SSRI and a benzodiazapine.
• Steven Kazmierczak, age 27, shot and killed five people and wounded 21 others before killing himself in a Northern Illinois University auditorium. According to his girlfriend, he had recently been taking Prozac, Xanax and Ambien. Toxicology results showed that he still had trace amounts of Xanax in his system.
• Finnish gunman Pekka-Eric Auvinen, age 18, had been taking antidepressants before he killed eight people and wounded a dozen more at Jokela High School – then he committed suicide.
• Asa Coon from Cleveland, age 14, shot and wounded four before taking his own life. Court records show Coon was on Trazodone.
• Jon Romano, age 16, on medication for depression, fired a shotgun at a teacher in his New York high school....
But in most cases there is no negative things from people prescribed psychotropic drugs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Senate votes to allow concealed carry without p... 29 min 16 TEEN SHOTS chi... 6
News Grandfather says three teenage armed robbers 'd... 1 hr javawhey 45
News "Open carry" bill shot down 1 hr javawhey 48
Taurus Gaucho Revolver (May '06) 5 hr Westerner 28
News Appeals court upholds MD assault weapons ban Apr 22 American Patriot 417
Former University Professor Suggests the NRA Is... Apr 22 Get Out 3
News $25 Million Dollars Pledged To Stop Concealed C... Apr 20 payme 8
More from around the web