Guns in bars are closer to reality

Guns in bars are closer to reality

There are 406 comments on the DispatchPolitics story from May 28, 2010, titled Guns in bars are closer to reality. In it, DispatchPolitics reports that:

After another gun debate - the kind that has played out in every legislative session for the past decade - a bill allowing permit holders to carry concealed guns into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol passed the Ohio Senate yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DispatchPolitics.

First Prev
of 21
Next Last
rockettraveller

Ravenna, OH

#2 May 28, 2010
Can't get a lap dance in Ohio after minnight so now I can carry a gun and drink. Nice.
Eric

Columbus, OH

#3 May 28, 2010
Nothing better do do in the legislature than worry about gun owners? What about the thousands of jobs lost in the state. Also, victim zones at bars because you cannot bring a gun to dinner?
The whole state is a victim zone due to these idiotic laws and the people who pass them. Come on Ohio, we can do better!!!
Jack

Chillicothe, OH

#4 May 28, 2010
"Reality" is an interesting word to use with a story about folks wanting to carry guns in bars. It is all so weird. Of course, we have parking lots next to bars, then tell folks not to drink and drive, so I suppose telling folks its okay to carry guns into bars--but don't drink! and don't shoot anybody, also makes sense.

I sometimes wonder why we have such a strange reality in our wonderful nation. Most folks in the world get along quite well without most of them having guns. They tend to spend more on health care, though, so that everyone can have it when needed.

Of course, this is really about politiicians wanting to get votes by pandering to folks who have been led to believe carrying guns is a good thing. It's some of the same folks who pander to some of the same voters by saying our schools have "failed," or corporate health care is socialism. Thank God places like the Dispatch still give both sides to public issues. Otherwise, the right wing crazies that run much of our media--who will do anything for profit--would have even more of us deluded into thinking this is a real issue.
Just the Facts

Columbus, OH

#5 May 28, 2010
I do not fear law abiding citizens with guns.

I fear criminals with guns.
Just the Facts.
ODB

Columbus, OH

#6 May 28, 2010
Trying reading the law. It pertains to not only BARS but also restaurants. Law abiding citizens that have taken the time and spent the money to obtain a permit are not the ones you need to worry about. It's a good bet that one of them will come to your aid should you ever be faced with a life threatening situation at the hands of a thug with a weapon.

Besides, any business be it a bar or a restaurant can decide to opt out and post a sign indicating that guns are not permitted. I also have the right to frequent those places and take my cash to businesses that still respect my right to keep and bear arms.
James Robertson

Mesa, AZ

#7 May 28, 2010
Those who say this isn't smart or safe should look at the states that have passed such legislation and see that there has NOT been an increase in gun violence from those able to carry legally into restaurants that serve alcohol. In this case, the one who said that "Just because we're in the minority doesn't make us wrong," is wrong on this case. When the facts support the majority, then those in the minority are WRONG.

Also, the illustration with Applebees doesn't hold. The Applebees chain will be jumping at the bit to forbid carry in their establishments. They did it immediately when the restaurant carry bill was passed in AZ. It's really pathetic. Corporate headquarters still insists on making their restaurants openly-advertised victim-rich zones. You'd think they'd get a clue for once. Well, their loss. They aren't getting my business for as long as I'm not welcome to dine in their establishment (you ban me from carrying concealed legally in your establishment and you will be banning me. I don't give up my rights just b/c some corporate hack executive is afraid of guns).
Jim

Hilliard, OH

#8 May 28, 2010
I will laugh when the gun it taken away from a CCW and he gets shot with their own gun.. I wonder how much the NRA gave to the Repugs in this election cycle. That's only alcohol, how about if they are on legal prescription drugs. The list goes on and on and on.

Judged:

22

18

6

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jim

Hilliard, OH

#9 May 28, 2010
If they allow this to go through, I hope that the business insurance on these establishments goes up 1000% because of the enhanced liability issues.

Judged:

18

12

5

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Working stiff

United States

#10 May 28, 2010
I find it amazing that so many responders to this article apparently don't live in the real world. Law abiding permit holders are not the problem. Where do predators hunt? Where there is prey. Bars, restaurants and business that post no firearms permitted are only excluding those that would do them no harm to begin with. The bad guys don't have CCW permits and do carry guns whenever and wherever they choose. I've come to the conclusion that there are three types of people. Sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. Evidently we've got a big percentage of sheep writing these comments. Our best weapon in a confrontation is our brain but a CCW is a great backup.
roger - Columbus

Wheelersburg, OH

#11 May 28, 2010
Let's see now, people go to bars to consume boozes but they are not going to drink, that's the ticket. What a dumb idea, how about figuring out a way to get some jobs in Ohio instead of this insanity.
ATR

Grove City, OH

#12 May 28, 2010
Shannon Jones stated that "this refinement of our concealed-carry laws is a logical next step to help our citizens legally protect themselves and their families." This is one of the dumbest statement I have heard for awhile, even from a Republican. How is being able to drink while armed, when everyone knows that drinking impairs judgement and brings out aggression, a logical step to anything? I'm sure drunks with guns will be a HUGE benefit to Ohio families.
Firey Buddha

Columbus, OH

#13 May 28, 2010
I'm sorry - what happened to common sense, smart adults? And what about my right to have a pint w/o worrying about being shot by a stupid, gun-toting drunk? I'm for supporting the Second Amendment (because I sure as hell like exercising the First! and to do otherwise would be hypocritical), but c'mon - when do we put gun rights over sanity?

And thank GODDESS Shannon Jones isn't my rep. She's atrocious - a power-grubbing conservative w/an agenda. Just what we need - more hateful, narcissistic ideologues in office.
Sammy

Grove City, OH

#14 May 28, 2010
Working stiff wrote:
The bad guys don't have CCW permits and do carry guns whenever and wherever they choose. I've come to the conclusion that there are three types of people. Sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. Evidently we've got a big percentage of sheep writing these comments. Our best weapon in a confrontation is our brain but a CCW is a great backup.
You have to be a cop. I heard a cop make that lousy analogy about the three kinds of people in a speech years ago, and it was as simplistic a view then as it is now. I am not worried about the "wolves." I am worried about the drunk wannabe "sheepdogs" with their little egos and their big guns.
Scholar

Saint Paul, MN

#15 May 28, 2010
I know reading is difficult for some of you, but there are zero statistics to show that allowing CCW holders to carry in establishments that serve alcohol is bad. Please feel free to do research before passing judgment.

For what it's worth, you do realize that if we (CCW holders) wanted to drink and carry we could just do it? We chose to get concealed carry to comply with the law, not break it because we are weak in the presence of alcohol. Please remember that a key word in this is "concealed". People are already carrying guns in bars, why don't you allow those of us that follow the law to do the same?
Scholar

Saint Paul, MN

#16 May 28, 2010
ATR wrote:
Shannon Jones stated that "this refinement of our concealed-carry laws is a logical next step to help our citizens legally protect themselves and their families." This is one of the dumbest statement I have heard for awhile, even from a Republican. How is being able to drink while armed, when everyone knows that drinking impairs judgement and brings out aggression, a logical step to anything? I'm sure drunks with guns will be a HUGE benefit to Ohio families.
Try reading, drinking while carrying is and will continue to be illegal.
ATR

Grove City, OH

#17 May 28, 2010
Scholar wrote:
I know reading is difficult for some of you, but there are zero statistics to show that allowing CCW holders to carry in establishments that serve alcohol is bad. Please feel free to do research before passing judgment.
For what it's worth, you do realize that if we (CCW holders) wanted to drink and carry we could just do it? We chose to get concealed carry to comply with the law, not break it because we are weak in the presence of alcohol. Please remember that a key word in this is "concealed". People are already carrying guns in bars, why don't you allow those of us that follow the law to do the same?
Because sane people understand that allowing deadly weapons in a places where people come specifically to drink and loose their inhibitions is an inherently bad idea.
Tea Party Tim

Blacklick, OH

#18 May 28, 2010
This is a non-issue on both sides. There's no evidence bars and restaurants are "victim zones," and it's no big deal if a concealed carrier wants to have dinner in a place that serves alcohol.

This is just political BS.
Becky

Columbus, OH

#19 May 28, 2010
Not to mention, DRIVE THRU LIQUOR STORES!!
Jack wrote:
"Reality" is an interesting word to use with a story about folks wanting to carry guns in bars. It is all so weird. Of course, we have parking lots next to bars, then tell folks not to drink and drive, so I suppose telling folks its okay to carry guns into bars--but don't drink! and don't shoot anybody, also makes sense.
I sometimes wonder why we have such a strange reality in our wonderful nation. Most folks in the world get along quite well without most of them having guns. They tend to spend more on health care, though, so that everyone can have it when needed.
Of course, this is really about politiicians wanting to get votes by pandering to folks who have been led to believe carrying guns is a good thing. It's some of the same folks who pander to some of the same voters by saying our schools have "failed," or corporate health care is socialism. Thank God places like the Dispatch still give both sides to public issues. Otherwise, the right wing crazies that run much of our media--who will do anything for profit--would have even more of us deluded into thinking this is a real issue.
Working stiff

United States

#20 May 28, 2010
Sammy wrote:
<quoted text> You have to be a cop. I heard a cop make that lousy analogy about the three kinds of people in a speech years ago, and it was as simplistic a view then as it is now. I am not worried about the "wolves." I am worried about the drunk wannabe "sheepdogs" with their little egos and their big guns.
Actually I'm a medic who has responded to many "shots fired, man down". I've yet to see a victim or shooter with a CCW permit. Say what you wish, but the analogy is true. Sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you wish to trust your safety to others that's your business. Hopefully, we will never meet when I'm on a run. Stay safe.
Jerry Gronbach

Zanesville, OH

#21 May 28, 2010
I support the passage of SB239,as a Concealed Carry Permit holder I feel the Vehicle carry restrictions make it difficult for me to carry my gun in my car. Also the ban on carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol only punishes the law abiding citizen. The crimmals do not abide by any laws,especially GUN Laws. As a Senior Citizen I am thankfull I live in th U.S.A. as a free man with the right to protect my Family and Myself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas mass shooting Nov 11 Canlendyou 13
News Massachusetts 1st to ban bump stocks since Vega... Nov 11 Watchdog 3
News Existing laws should have stopped shooter Nov 10 payme 1
News Texas Attorney General: The way to stop mass sh... Nov 9 Brenda Lasley 16
30-06 (7.62X63) vs .308 (7.62X51) (Feb '11) Nov 7 Charlie 122
News Packing pistols: Is Texas safer with more licen... (Jul '11) Nov 6 Free Farts 12
News Increase hunting safety zone Oct 31 payme 3
More from around the web