How do we protect kids in school?

How do we protect kids in school?

There are 6103 comments on the Ruidoso News story from Jan 8, 2013, titled How do we protect kids in school?. In it, Ruidoso News reports that:

During a newsroom discussion about guns about a decade ago, a woman piped up: "I don't understand what the big deal is.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ruidoso News.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#2234 Apr 15, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is paying for all of the funerals now?
Why don't you donate some of your own money.

Talk is cheap.
factologist

Huntsville, AL

#2235 Apr 15, 2013
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you donate some of your own money.
Talk is cheap.
And that is all you'll ever get from Qball is cheap talk, cause he has shown he damn sure won't take any action. He cowers at the suggestion of it.
xando

Camp Verde, AZ

#2238 Apr 15, 2013
Check out the post from "Tray" in response to Wondering. He answers as if he is Davy. In fact, he replies to several posts in that way.

Post #2223.
factologist

Huntsville, AL

#2239 Apr 15, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have done far more than >you< EVER will.
“Agreed to found our Rights upon the Laws of Nature....”
http://gunshowonthenet.blogspot.com/2013/04/a...
I see what you're saying.
xando

Camp Verde, AZ

#2241 Apr 15, 2013
factologist wrote:
<quoted text>I see what you're saying.
LOL

The Crazy. But good taste in music.
Get Out

Jacksonville, NC

#2243 Apr 17, 2013
<quoted text>Train them when , how often ?
Who pays for this ? What about other emergencies ?
Easy solution, add a ¼ cent to sales tax. Initial training could be an intense week long course focusing on safe and proper weapons handling. Then shoot a lot of ammunition and then shoot some more. Practice responding to an active school shooter with Sim-munitions. Follow on live fire training could be quarterly.

Don't Tread On Me

#2244 Apr 17, 2013
Get Out wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy solution, add a ¼ cent to sales tax. Initial training could be an intense week long course focusing on safe and proper weapons handling. Then shoot a lot of ammunition and then shoot some more. Practice responding to an active school shooter with Sim-munitions. Follow on live fire training could be quarterly.
Stupid.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#2245 Apr 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Stupid.
Actually it would be more effective at protecting our kids in school than any ridiculous knee-jerk reactionary firearms ban that would only restrict law abiding citizens while leaving criminals and crazies who disregard the law anyway free to do as they please. IMHO.
Get Out

Jacksonville, NC

#2247 Apr 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Stupid.
You wanted to know, how to arm, train and pay for school faculty and teachers to be armed in schools. This solution would address the immediate threat of another shooter in a school today not next year, unlike your solution of banning certain weapons and magazine limits. BTW your response was well thought out and very eloquent, keep it up.

Don't Tread On Me

#2248 Apr 18, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>Actually it would be more effective at protecting our kids in school than any ridiculous knee-jerk reactionary firearms ban that would only restrict law abiding citizens while leaving criminals and crazies who disregard the law anyway free to do as they please. IMHO.
Raising taxes never solved any problems .

Government already has enough money and taking more money out of the economy will hurt job growth.

The biggest problem with arming teachers is a diversion from their core mission statement.

We need effective solutions not knee jerk reactions .

How many times do you see police with cars side by side talking in shopping centers protecting private property when this is the responsibility of the property owner.

These same cops could be sitting in school parking lots .

This is only one small idea that does not cost the tax payer a dime but creates a variable presence so that a criminal never knows when they are going to show up as opposed to signs that the government puts up proclaiming "gun free zone" as if sending a message to criminals that they will be under no threat if operating here.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#2249 Apr 18, 2013
<quoted text>Raising taxes never solved any problems .
Government already has enough money and taking more money out of the economy will hurt job growth.
The biggest problem with arming teachers is a diversion from their core mission statement.
How many times do you see police with cars side by side talking in shopping centers protecting private property when this is the responsibility of the property owner.
This is only one small idea that does not cost the tax payer a dime but creates a variable presence so that a criminal never knows when they are going to show up as opposed to signs that the government puts up proclaiming "gun free zone" as if sending a message to criminals that they will be under no threat if operating here.
They are not protecting private property. They are killing time instead of doing their job which is to be out patrolling. I also know for a fact that some do that to watch each others back while one of them sleeps if they are on the graveyard shift.(this was actually admitted to me by an ex-cop)

Boggy Creek

#2250 Apr 18, 2013
<quoted text>Raising taxes never solved any problems .
Good point.

Boggy Creek

#2251 Apr 18, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
They are not protecting private property. They are killing time instead of doing their job which is to be out patrolling. I also know for a fact that some do that to watch each others back while one of them sleeps if they are on the graveyard shift.(this was actually admitted to me by an ex-cop)
An armed presence at the school, even if it's a lazy cop napping, is better than putting up a sign letting the crazies know there aren't any guns here. IMHO

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#2252 Apr 18, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>An armed presence at the school, even if it's a lazy cop napping, is better than putting up a sign letting the crazies know there aren't any guns here. IMHO
No argument here. Gun-free zones get people killed.
whammer jammer

Albuquerque, NM

#2254 Apr 25, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>An armed presence at the school, even if it's a lazy cop napping, is better than putting up a sign letting the crazies know there aren't any guns here. IMHO
Typical, uneducated public opinion. How many tax dollars are spent daily on the protection, education and presence of salaried officers on campuses? Do some research....lazy cops napping??? One officer for from 4 to 7 thousand students at any high school? His priority? To do his job. To educate these students in the dangers of drugs, the covert dangers of drug abuse...to educate the children of the reprocussions of all of the above. No guns? What is our constitutional right? Our God given right? To protect our home, our hearth, our family our children. Period. A sign? Advertising there is no law enforcement presence in our schools? No option for trained, certified individuals who have a gun? You go girl...you'll end up getting someone killed...as for me and my children? I'd much rather have my child's school have a reputation for being an 'offensive' establishment. IE..there are teachers on campus who can and do possess a firearm in the event that any terrorist may gain entry into their classroom...their school. Period.

Boggy Creek

#2255 Apr 26, 2013
whammer jammer wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical, uneducated public opinion. How many tax dollars are spent daily on the protection, education and presence of salaried officers on campuses? Do some research....lazy cops napping??? One officer for from 4 to 7 thousand students at any high school? His priority? To do his job. To educate these students in the dangers of drugs, the covert dangers of drug abuse...to educate the children of the reprocussions of all of the above. No guns? What is our constitutional right? Our God given right? To protect our home, our hearth, our family our children. Period. A sign? Advertising there is no law enforcement presence in our schools? No option for trained, certified individuals who have a gun? You go girl...you'll end up getting someone killed...as for me and my children? I'd much rather have my child's school have a reputation for being an 'offensive' establishment. IE..there are teachers on campus who can and do possess a firearm in the event that any terrorist may gain entry into their classroom...their school. Period.
What the hell are you talking about? Your tone is antagonistic and confrontational while, if I understand you correctly, you're agreeing with me. Pardon me if I find that confusing. Please clarify.
Adglaani Tso

Shipman, VA

#2256 Apr 26, 2013
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>What the hell are you talking about? Your tone is antagonistic and confrontational while, if I understand you correctly, you're agreeing with me. Pardon me if I find that confusing. Please clarify.
You have the dubious honor of addressing the infamous W-J. She is an addle-brained old hag that lives in a run down trailer home by the sewer lagoon in Kirtland NM. She is on a one woman campaign to try to segregate the local school system into white, tax-paying Mormons and the heathen, non-taxpaying Lamanites from south of the San Juan River (AKA Navajo Indians). Over the years, her posts make less and less sense. Senility or Alzheimer, take your pick.
xando

Phoenix, AZ

#2257 Apr 27, 2013
What a bunch of hypocritical bs by some in this thread.

There is no confiscation of guns; the Obama administration has actually repealed some gun laws; millions of Americans purchase and own guns--more than ever in the history of this country.

And yet, these fake, swaggering cowboys bellow, swagger and rally for their 2nd amendment rights while embracing The Patriot Act as it erodes the first, fifth and sixth amendment rights of US citizens, while actually paving the way for gun confiscation.....the thing that keeps these hypocrites awake at night.
Tray

Ecru, MS

#2258 Apr 29, 2013
xando wrote:
There is no confiscation of guns; the Obama administration has actually repealed some gun laws; millions of Americans purchase and own guns--more than ever in the history of this country.
And yet, these fake, swaggering cowboys bellow, swagger and rally for their 2nd amendment rights while embracing The Patriot Act as it erodes the first, fifth and sixth amendment rights of US citizens, while actually paving the way for gun confiscation.....the thing that keeps these hypocrites awake at night.
Then do you care to explain EXACTLY what he is doing with trying to pass ANTI-GUN laws? Are you somehow claiming he is pro-gun? If you are, that can be proven a lie right now.
Get Out

Jacksonville, NC

#2259 Apr 29, 2013
xando wrote:
The Patriot Act was a knee jerk reaction by Bush and other politicians that never should have made it off the ground and should have been repealed entirely by now.

The bill’s that Feinstein and her cronies tried to pass in the end would ban people from selling or passing on certain (Banned) weapons and magazines to their own family members. They couldn’t even be passed down to their children after the original owner dies. In effect your surviving spouse and children would become criminals overnight. You’re wrong though, there is a behind the door confiscation scheme going on.

Passing knee jerk and emotional Gun control bills just to pass a bill is the same mentality that got us into a war with Iraq! Hillary Clinton’s line makes the case, Clinton was asked by a University of New Hampshire professor why she refused to apologize for voting to give Bush the authority for the March 2003 invasion.
"I take responsibility for my vote. It was a sincere vote based on the facts and assurances we had at the time. Obviously I would not vote that way again if we knew then what we know now," she said, her oft-repeated explanation.

H.R. 138 would ban transfer or possession of standard-capacity magazines, targeting those that hold more than 10 rounds.

H.R. 141 would impose federal regulation of gun shows. This legislation would require background checks on all gun sales at guns shows, and impose addition federal regulations on these traditional local events.

H.R. 142 would ban Internet or mail order ammunition purchases, require a federal license for all ammunition sellers and mandate reporting of "bulk" ammo purchases.

H.R. 21 would ban all private firearms transfers.

H.R. 34 & H.R. 117 are both gun registration bills overriding long standing protections of gun owner privacy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... 58 min barefoot2626 1,276
News Clinton blames Republican leaders for a 'paraly... Wed payme 25
News Clinton blames Republican leaders for a "paraly... Jun 28 Jagermann 1
News Obama to seek healing in Orlando even as politi... Jun 26 OK Barry 61
Freestanding B-e-l-f-a-s-t Sink Unit Jun 23 boyocuy 1
News The Latest: House GOP says electronic devices s... Jun 23 payme 2
News Bristol Palin is engaged (May '15) Jun 22 Uncle Bens AWOLdaddy 68
More from around the web