New Study: Gun Ownership, Not Suicidal Behavior, Is Strongest Predictor of Death by Suicide

Sep 4, 2013 Full story: The Stranger 6

State by state data has long shown a strong correlation between rates of gun ownership and rates of suicide , but whether there is a causal relationship, well, that has been harder to discern.

Full Story
riven

Terre Haute, IN

#1 Sep 4, 2013
after reading the article i have decided that this is the kind of logic that would suggest that learning new words as a child causes tooth decay. let me explain: the tooth decay and vocab expansion happen at roughly the same time. i.e.: they are correlative. but not causative. i own guns, as well as most of my friends.
not one of us has ever tried to off ourselves. in fact the only friend i had who did try, was very much anti-gun. he hung himself. whats next? rope control? how about spoon control? they obviously are responsible for obesity. just like pencils misspell words. this is simply another attempt by anti-gunners to demonize an inanimate object. the PERSON makes the choice, not the object.

in other words: don't blame the tool blame the one who actually does something wrong with said tool.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#2 Sep 4, 2013
Send the author to Japan and see if the same conclusions are drawn.
people died obama lied

Newnan, GA

#3 Sep 4, 2013
Lets do a study on suicide rates of people who own cars and garages. Would owning a house with a garage make one more prone to commit suicide?
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#4 Sep 4, 2013
So what's your point...? When someone wants to accomplish a task...you select the proper tool to get the job done. Those who don't aren't serious about suicide in the first place...they want to be caught...they want to found...they want help...not to die. Those that selct a firearm know what they want. Is it really some surprise that those that use a firearm are more successful...?

And these people really had to go to Harvard to figure this out...?

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#5 Sep 4, 2013
Marauder wrote:
So what's your point...? When someone wants to accomplish a task...you select the proper tool to get the job done. Those who don't aren't serious about suicide in the first place...they want to be caught...they want to found...they want help...not to die. Those that selct a firearm know what they want. Is it really some surprise that those that use a firearm are more successful...?
And these people really had to go to Harvard to figure this out...?
LMFAO !

That last sentence is a classic.

How are things in gods country ?
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#6 Sep 4, 2013
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>LMFAO !
That last sentence is a classic.
How are things in gods country ?
Been great, thanks...sun shining but going away fast. Winter fast approaching.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 10 hr obama race team 12,103
Texas open carry is shooting itself in the foot Sat Independent1 9
Open Carry Activist Charged With Shooting Ex-Hu... Dec 13 Here Is One 3
Ferguson braces for grand jury decision Dec 11 Vern5554566 4
Deer Hunting Time Dec 9 kurtcooksalot16 1
Bill would stiffen background checks Dec 8 Independent1 3
SAFE Act PROTEST draws crowd in Lewis County (Jun '13) Dec 7 lowville resident 4
More from around the web