It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Reservoir, Australia

#111005 Sep 4, 2014
pragmatic wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I am "ignorant" about gun ownership. And you are "ignorant" for owning a gun.
Am I the only one who notices a delicious contradiction in logic here?

lol!
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#111006 Sep 4, 2014
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
lol!
Of course there is. If he admits to being ignorant regarding gunownership...how can he make a logical claim that actual gun ownership is ignorant..DUH...lol. I'm pretty sure he'll have another ignorant retort to this post as well.

He's just another bag of skin full of hot air.
c alis

Norristown, PA

#111007 Sep 4, 2014
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
lol!
Silly wo/man. I said I was ignorant about the actual buying PROCESS for a gun. I'm not ignorant about guns. I know they kill and maim and that's all they do. Everyone knows that.
That was difficult.
c alis

Norristown, PA

#111008 Sep 4, 2014
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course there is. If he admits to being ignorant regarding gunownership...how can he make a logical claim that actual gun ownership is ignorant..DUH...lol. I'm pretty sure he'll have another ignorant retort to this post as well.
He's just another bag of skin full of hot air.
Okie from Arkansas. You are pretty dense.
Hmm. Trying to picture you as a bag of skin full of hot air. You be one nasty looking wo/man.
I think your gun has you right wear it wants. Obsessed.

Consider yourself busted. buster.
c alis

Norristown, PA

#111009 Sep 4, 2014
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, you lose...not a "murderer".
No law required to...that's why.
It's funny about murderers. They always deny killing someone.
c alis

Norristown, PA

#111010 Sep 4, 2014
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
"If you are innocent, you do not need a lawyer."...ROTFLMAO
I wonder how many innocent people that thought that are in prison now. You're full of crap.
If you haven't done anything wrong, it is pretty lame to pay a lawyer to get you off from nothing.

Innocent people in prison? You've been lied to. VERY few innocent people in prison. The system usually works, but not always.

Everytime you pick up your gun - you are 30 seconds away from being a murderer, Mara.

Full of what? That hurt my feelings.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#111011 Sep 4, 2014
c alis wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly wo/man. I said I was ignorant about the actual buying PROCESS for a gun. I'm not ignorant about guns. I know they kill and maim and that's all they do. Everyone knows that.
That was difficult.
"I'm not ignorant about guns."

Your posts say otherwise.

"I know they kill and maim and that's all they do."

See...?...there is some of that ignorance now.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#111012 Sep 4, 2014
c alis wrote:
<quoted text>
Okie from Arkansas. You are pretty dense.
Hmm. Trying to picture you as a bag of skin full of hot air. You be one nasty looking wo/man.
I think your gun has you right wear it wants. Obsessed.
Consider yourself busted. buster.
"Okie from Arkansas."

ROTFLMAO...where did that come from...?

"You are pretty dense."

YOU think I'm from Arkansas...ROTFLMAO again...and YOU call me "pretty dense"...LOL
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#111013 Sep 4, 2014
c alis wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny about murderers. They always deny killing someone.
Didn't do that either.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#111014 Sep 4, 2014
c alis wrote:
<quoted text>
If you haven't done anything wrong, it is pretty lame to pay a lawyer to get you off from nothing.
Innocent people in prison? You've been lied to. VERY few innocent people in prison. The system usually works, but not always.
Everytime you pick up your gun - you are 30 seconds away from being a murderer, Mara.
Full of what? That hurt my feelings.
Tell your BS to the 2 half-brothers just found innocent of murder conviction and spending 30 years in prison.

Everytime I pick up my gun...I'm within 1-2 seconds of defending myself or others.

Hackettstown, NJ

#111015 Sep 4, 2014
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
If something is legal, supervised and kids show interest in it they should at least have the opportunity.
Something of interest, another 9 year old competitive shooter from Jersey testifies before the state legislature arguing against further gun control. Those Jersey girls.:-)

http://www.northjersey.com/news/9-year-old-n-...

Her father, who is a firearms instructor, indicated on a news program here that the instructor in Arizona was not coaching the shooter properly. The normal practice is to stand behind a young shooter while grasping the arms for control. No one stands alongside the shooter for obvious reasons.

Hackettstown, NJ

#111016 Sep 4, 2014
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
"Okie from Arkansas."
"You are pretty dense."
YOU think I'm from Arkansas...ROTFLMAO again...and YOU call me "pretty dense"...LOL
She doesn't seem to know much about state abbreviations either.:-)
c alis

Norristown, PA

#111018 Sep 5, 2014
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell your BS to the 2 half-brothers just found innocent of murder conviction and spending 30 years in prison.
Everytime I pick up my gun...I'm within 1-2 seconds of defending myself or others.
Abnormality. How often does that happen, Mara? I think I mentioned the justice system usually works. Nothing works 100% of the time, right?
BUT, how does one get convicted if there is zero evidence? Ponder that.
Gun fanatics are funny with all their excuses of why they own a gun. For protection? How many times have you had to defend yourself? Zero times?
BS? That is not fair! I would never do that! I'll leave that to you..
c alis

Norristown, PA

#111019 Sep 5, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
She?
I must admit, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about state abbreviations. I think MA should stand for Maine.
I do know that Okie is from Arkansas. The great state that produced Willy Clinton and Walmart.
c alis

Norristown, PA

#111020 Sep 5, 2014
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
"Okie from Arkansas."
"You are pretty dense."
Okie? I bet you don't live in the U.S. of A. Prove it.
Where did Okie from Arkansas come from? I thought it was appropriate.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Collingwood, Australia

#111021 Sep 5, 2014
c alis wrote:
<quoted text>
That was difficult.
In that case instead of typing one thing and meaning another, you should type what you mean in the first place.

All it takes is a little of mental discipline.

Those who are OK with firearm ownership can't be expected to welcome aggressive sermons from gun grabbers who cannot organize their own thoughts.
Is-Is

Norristown, PA

#111022 Sep 5, 2014
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
In that case instead of typing one thing and meaning another, you should type what you mean in the first place.
All it takes is a little of mental discipline.
Those who are OK with firearm ownership can't be expected to welcome aggressive sermons from gun grabbers who cannot organize their own thoughts.
How cute are you?
I stand by what I said and you knew what I meant. A little mental discipline from you would help.
You have to go with the flow. Yes, I was aggressive, but with the gun nuts you have to be. I was aggressive?
Just because someone disagrees with you, does not mean you have to have a hissy fit. Time to grow up.
I've never owned a gun, nor have I lived in a house with a gun, so how should I know how to proceed with buying one? WE DO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE USED FOR, DON'T WE?
Let them eat cake!
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#111023 Sep 5, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly...but you let the cat out of the bag now...I was going play that for awhile.
Is-Is

Norristown, PA

#111024 Sep 5, 2014
Sounds like the uzi girl's father is really bright. Sad that he doesn't have any common sense.
That kid will probably end up doing drugs and living on skid row. Waste.
You should be 21 before you can buy or use a gun.
Nine years old and already a murderer. Sad state of affairs, all the way around.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#111025 Sep 5, 2014
c alis wrote:
<quoted text>
Abnormality. How often does that happen, Mara? I think I mentioned the justice system usually works. Nothing works 100% of the time, right?
BUT, how does one get convicted if there is zero evidence? Ponder that.
Gun fanatics are funny with all their excuses of why they own a gun. For protection? How many times have you had to defend yourself? Zero times?
BS? That is not fair! I would never do that! I'll leave that to you..
Obviously happens more than you think.

It's called "circumstantial evidence" and a lot of convictions are based on just that. No witnesses, no hard evidence...just that you might know you're innocent but YOU can't provide proof of it and other circumstamves point to you anyway.

I don't have an excuse as to why I own a gun. I have the idividual right to own one...don't have to have a "need"...don't have to have an "excuse"...don't have to have any "reason"...and don't need the permission of you or the government to excise my right.

I have defended another person, her friend and her daughter on one occasion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Americans spent an estimated $17 billion on amm... 47 min 07 Mustang 96
News 'How many more tragedies' asks mayor, after 11-... Tue payme 10
News Appeals court upholds MD assault weapons ban Mar 25 Marauder 204
News Official Heckler And Koch 22Lr Replica Rifles (Jan '10) Mar 25 Say What 6
News Another Second Amendment Appeal Shot-Down by th... Mar 25 Say What 3
News American Outdoor Brands Corp: Time to Move On? Mar 25 Say What 14
30-06 (7.62X63) vs .308 (7.62X51) (Feb '11) Mar 22 Sentry Watch 120
More from around the web