It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103292 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

spider

Downham Market, UK

#109707 Jun 28, 2013
piers morgean wrote:
this british areshole getting on television every night and flat out lying to the American people about gun control. Nearly every statistic that he quotes is inaccurate and he fails to acknowledge a whole host of statistics that would instantly invalidate the arguments that he is trying to make. Yes, the UK has a lower gun murder rate than the United States does, but what Piers Morgan fails to tell you is that the overall rate of violent crime in the UK is about 4 times higher than it is in the United States. A woman in the UK is not allowed pull out a gun to protect herself against a gang of potential rapists. So perhaps that explains why the UK has about 125 percent more rape victims per 100,000 people than the United States does. While UK newspapers are declaring that the UK has become the “violent crime capital of Europe”, crime rates in the United States have actually fallen dramatically over the past 20 years. This was also a time period during which gun laws became much less restrictive in the United States. Today, murder rates in the U.S. are generally far higher in cities that have very strict gun control laws (such as Chicago) than they are for the general population. The cold, hard numbers make it clear that when there are more guns there is less crime, but hardcore leftists such as Piers Morgan are absolutely obsessed with gun control and Morgan continues to relentlessly attack the 2nd Amendment night after night.deport this asshole back to britian
We don't want him.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#109708 Jun 28, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
No, there is only one Spider pet.
I see you still haven't learnt to control your language. Can you show any examples of poor language from myself to you, No, of course you can't.
How's the old cake making going.
Oh is that you arachnid, what happened to your avatar, nuts to you.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#109709 Jun 28, 2013
Now why has the US the highest violent crime rate>
The most prisoners in the ENTIRE world.
It is not the most guns in the world?

Well what is wrong with the people?

Arent they Americans. LOL
sentil38

Miri, Malaysia

#109710 Jun 28, 2013
Pessimist wrote:
I’ve started to think it’s not guns it’s just Americans.
endorse otherwise the America's economy will down
spider

Downham Market, UK

#109711 Jun 28, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh is that you arachnid, what happened to your avatar, nuts to you.
Yes it's me.
My old unit was involved in a little incident, so untill I find the negative for that avatar, I won't use one.
I love nuts.
spider

Downham Market, UK

#109712 Jun 28, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
Now why has the US the highest violent crime rate>
The most prisoners in the ENTIRE world.
It is not the most guns in the world?
Well what is wrong with the people?
Arent they Americans. LOL
The Idea for or of the United States of America is a recent idea in historical terms compared to other nations. It is a melting pot, an ongoing experiment.
How old are some of the nations in the middle east ? do you consider them to be more civilised ? do they stand for freedom ?
spocko

Oakland, CA

#109713 Jun 28, 2013
piers morgean wrote:
this british areshole getting on television every night and flat out lying to the American people about gun control. Nearly every statistic that he quotes is inaccurate and he fails to acknowledge a whole host of statistics that would instantly invalidate the arguments that he is trying to make. Yes, the UK has a lower gun murder rate than the United States does, but what Piers Morgan fails to tell you is that the overall rate of violent crime in the UK is about 4 times higher than it is in the United States. A woman in the UK is not allowed pull out a gun to protect herself against a gang of potential rapists. So perhaps that explains why the UK has about 125 percent more rape victims per 100,000 people than the United States does. While UK newspapers are declaring that the UK has become the “violent crime capital of Europe”, crime rates in the United States have actually fallen dramatically over the past 20 years. This was also a time period during which gun laws became much less restrictive in the United States. Today, murder rates in the U.S. are generally far higher in cities that have very strict gun control laws (such as Chicago) than they are for the general population. The cold, hard numbers make it clear that when there are more guns there is less crime, but hardcore leftists such as Piers Morgan are absolutely obsessed with gun control and Morgan continues to relentlessly attack the 2nd Amendment night after night.deport this asshole back to britian
"Piers Morgan absolutely obsessed with gun control"?
If Piers Morgan is obsessed with gun control what does that make you - an insane freaking idiot?
spider

Downham Market, UK

#109715 Jun 28, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
"Piers Morgan absolutely obsessed with gun control"?
If Piers Morgan is obsessed with gun control what does that make you - an insane freaking idiot?
Piers Morgan is obsessed with Piers Morgan, he is deliberatley controvercial to gain international notoriety and nothing more.
The man is not a true example of how we Brits are.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#109717 Jun 28, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Piers Morgan is obsessed with Piers Morgan, he is deliberatley controvercial to gain international notoriety and nothing more.
The man is not a true example of how we Brits are.
Being an entertainer and talk show host why would that be so unusual? Besides, do you really think he wants or needs your approval?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#109718 Jun 28, 2013
Homicides are going to start dropping off now the the Pseudo Liberal Utophia of Chicago, Illinois now that law abidding citizen can arm & protect themselves against criminals that gun grabbers handed over the streets of chicago to years ago.

Chicago Prepares for New Concealed Carry Gun Law

By DON BABWIN Associated Press

CHICAGO June 28, 2013 (AP)

This city, where violent street gangs shoot it out dozens of times a week despite some of the nation's toughest restrictions on guns, now faces a new challenge: Well-meaning citizens with the legal right to hit the streets with loaded firearms, whenever they want.

As Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn mulls whether to sign off on eliminating the country's last concealed carry ban, the question in Chicago is whether it will matter in the crime-weary city. Will a place that long had some of the nation's tightest restrictions on handguns be more at risk? Or will it be safer with a law that can only add to the number of guns already on the street?

Neighborhood leaders, anti-crime activists and police officials worry about additional mayhem in Chicago. But other residents, including some who live in Chicago's more violent areas, believe more guns will allow them to defend themselves better.

"We just had a weekend where something like 48 people were shot, seven died," said Otis McDonald, 79, one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit that ended with the U.S. Supreme Court tossing out Chicago's strict gun ban three years ago. "Now law abiding citizens like myself ... can carry them when they want to and not carry them when they don't want to, and the people out there who will do us harm won't know when we got them and when we don't."

At City Hall, where Chicago's anti-gun campaign has centered for years, the reaction to concealed carry legislation has been relatively quiet. The reasons seem to boil down to this: The city can do little about stopping the law because a federal appeals court ordered Illinois to end its public possession ban by this summer.

"We would prefer to have the (gun) bans we've always enacted...(but) it's the best we could do based upon the mandate we have," said Alderman Patrick O'Connor.

The bill sitting on Quinn's desk is a hard-fought compromise between conservative downstate lawmakers who opposed most gun restrictions and anti-gun lawmakers from Chicago and other urban areas. The legislation requires state police to issue a concealed-carry permit to any gun owner with a state-issued Firearm Owners Identification card, and who passes a background check, pays a $150 fee and undergoes 16 hours of training.

It's not as stringent as concealed carry laws in California, New York and a handful of others states, which give law enforcement authorities more power to deny permits. But it's more restrictive than earlier proposals by gun rights advocates, including one that would have superseded all local gun restrictions. For example, it won't wipe out Chicago and Cook County's ban on assault weapons.

Most significantly for gun control advocates, the legislation does prohibit guns in places like schools, buses, trains, bars and government buildings.

"If you think about all the prohibited places there are ... I don't think you will see an overwhelming number of people actually (carrying weapons) because it becomes such a headache," said state Sen. Kwame Raoul, a Chicago lawmaker and lead negotiator on the bill who represents President Barack Obama's former state senate district.

But other city officials aren't so assured. Superintendent Garry McCarthy calls a requirement that people go through only 16 hours of training before they are issued a concealed carry permit "woefully inadequate" because about the only thing people can learn in that time is how to "point and fire a weapon" and not when they can legally do so.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/chicago-pr...
spider

Sutton, UK

#109719 Jun 28, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Being an entertainer and talk show host why would that be so unusual? Besides, do you really think he wants or needs your approval?

He was a journalist before that.
Now, if he were nothing more than an entertainer or talk show host, then he wouldn't be trying to influence opinion now would he.
You buy into his crap if you want to, that's your choice.
What he needs or wants is irrelevant, it's what he represents thats important and I have the right to speak in opposition.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#109720 Jun 28, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
Oh dear. UK Violent Crime far less than USA.

USA most violent crimes in advanced nation.

UK 1850/100,000

USA 2250/100,000

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23139...

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv11.pdf

Good bloody god man, maybee Peir is coorect. HAHAHGA
I wouldn't say "far" less
spocko

Oakland, CA

#109721 Jun 28, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
He was a journalist before that.
Now, if he were nothing more than an entertainer or talk show host, then he wouldn't be trying to influence opinion now would he.
You buy into his crap if you want to, that's your choice.
What he needs or wants is irrelevant, it's what he represents thats important and I have the right to speak in opposition.
You got it buddy, you have the right to whine and sulk all day long :)
spider

Chatteris, UK

#109722 Jun 28, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
You got it buddy, you have the right to whine and sulk all day long :)
That's quite true, I DO HAVE THAT RIGHT, however it's not my style.
It seems you feel the need to project,,,,no
GoGoBar

Thailand

#109723 Jun 28, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
That's quite true, I DO HAVE THAT RIGHT, however it's not my style.
It seems you feel the need to project,,,,no
Where is the real spider?

Oh what a wicked web we weave....
spider

Ely, UK

#109724 Jun 28, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Im here, why are you so confused ?

Perth, Australia

#109725 Jun 28, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it's me.
My old unit was involved in a little incident, so untill I find the negative for that avatar, I won't use one.
I love nuts.
They can choke you, you know and cause an allergic reaction in others...dangerous things nuts.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#109726 Jun 28, 2013
spider wrote:
<quoted text>
Im here, why are you so confused ?
You seem different. Have you been well, you seem a little thinner.

Perth, Australia

#109727 Jun 28, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we need to see the avatar to be convinced, as it said so much about him being a creepy crawly.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#109728 Jun 28, 2013
WOW! The Prison Industrial Complex is really big.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-prison-indus...

Who is investing? At least 37 states have legalized the contracting of prison labor by private corporations that mount their operations inside state prisons. The list of such companies contains the cream of U.S. corporate society: IBM, Boeing, Motorola, Microsoft, AT&T, Wireless, Texas Instrument, Dell, Compaq, Honeywell, Hewlett-Packard, Nortel, Lucent Technologies, 3Com, Intel, Northern Telecom, TWA, Nordstrom’s, Revlon, Macy’s, Pierre Cardin, Target Stores, and many more. All of these businesses are excited about the economic boom generation by prison labor. Just between 1980 and 1994, profits went up from $392 million to $1.31 billion. Inmates in state penitentiaries generally receive the minimum wage for their work, but not all; in Colorado, they get about $2 per hour, well under the minimum. And in privately-run prisons, they receive as little as 17 cents per hour for a maximum of six hours a day, the equivalent of $20 per month. The highest-paying private prison is CCA in Tennessee, where prisoners receive 50 cents per hour for what they call “highly skilled positions.” At those rates, it is no surprise that inmates find the pay in federal prisons to be very generous. There, they can earn $1.25 an hour and work eight hours a day, and sometimes overtime. They can send home $200-$300 per month.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Top StoryTrump says more must be done to protec... 1 hr spocko 139
News Some GOP candidates for governor oppose raising... 9 hr Simplejim 2
News Jimmy Kimmel Blames Trump, GOP After School Sho... 13 hr papa 15
News Trump raises the question again: Could armed te... Fri Trump is a joke 3
News Your Views Friday, Feb. 23 Fri blindasabat 1
News Republican Congresswoman claims most mass shoot... Fri Shelly Bl 1
Defense for the kids Feb 22 Wadopotato 1
More from around the web