It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103311 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#109527 Jun 24, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Gafaw gafaw, hey there Billy Bob(ref: to a backward hick) love your interaction with the other loser. Maybe if you two put your heads together you might get one brain cell to share, I doubt it....I do love gun toting dick head speak though, it is so backward and brief, just a few grunts and clicks. heehehehehe
And look how fluent you are...pathetic.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#109528 Jun 24, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting.
You THINK we know the answer. You say you KNOW the answer.
You do NOT give the answer.
OK.
I think it has a lot to do with recidivism.
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the powers that be are treating symptoms rather than root causes.
I think it has to do with the intentional decimation of the family unit.
I think it has to do with outlawing inanimate objects and thereby strengthening the black market which is the life blood of street gangs and other criminals.
You were right. We do know what the answer is.
Thanks for not sharing and letting us figure it out.
Thanks.
Gary Kleck put it succinctly, but you must know this.
Now the first place to look fo violent crime is the Criminal Justice System.

It is quite telling that since Kleck wrote that study that the USA Prison Population has ballooned to the highest in the entire world. That includes Dictatorships and Communist countries.
I guess you have to lock up people who commit crimes with dangerous gus. What does Mr Kleck put the gun crimes at-1 million per year. It doesnt take long to have 6 million people in the prison justice system.
Perhaps the USA will have the highest prison rate per population in the world forever.
Especially if there are are cheap and easily accessed firearms waiting for the prisoners on release/

Or you could not release them, but that might be cruel and unusual punishment
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#109529 Jun 24, 2013
Larry wrote:
Have you ever considered having a look at some of the statistics GoGoBar details, he is just saying the truth, you have no controls on guns and you get shooting deaths in high numbers.
Violent crime, including crimes with guns, have been going down for the past 20 years.

The murder rate with firearms has been dropping even with increased numbers of guns in civilian hands.

All 50 states have some form of concealed carry...Illinois working on theirs by court order.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#109530 Jun 24, 2013
Damantion, when Obama's research funding goes through then there is a wealth of information to help the USA stop having 30 x more firearm homicides than Advanced Nations with effective gun control.
The Gun Lobby is nearing the tyranical denial stage that the Tobacco Lobby reached in its dying heyday.
The Marlboro man died of ciggarettes and Chris Kyle died of a similar lack of education.

Crime experts who attribute the drop in killings to better policing or an aging population fail to square the image of a more tranquil nation with this statistic: The reported number of people treated for gunshot attacks from 2001 to 2011 has grown by nearly half

"Did everybody become a lousy shot all of a sudden? No," said Jim Pasco, executive director of the National Fraternal Order of Police, a union that represents about 330,000 officers. "The potential for a victim to survive a wound is greater than it was 15 years ago."

After a steady decline through the 1990s, the annual number of homicides zigzagged before resuming a decline in 2007, falling from 16,929 that year to an estimated 14,722 in 2010, according to FBI crime data.

At the same time, medical data and other surveys in the U.S. show a rising number of serious injuries from assaults with guns and knives. The estimated number of people wounded seriously enough by gunshots to require a hospital stay, rather than treatment and release, rose 47% to 30,759 in 2011 from 20,844 in 2001, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Electronic Injury Surveillance System-All Injury Program. The CDC estimates showed the number of people injured in serious stabbings rose to 23,550 from 22,047 over the same period

Doesnt Rupert the snake ownt the WSJ?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788...
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#109531 Jun 24, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
Damantion, when Obama's research funding goes through then there is a wealth of information to help the USA stop having 30 x more firearm homicides than Advanced Nations with effective gun control.
The Gun Lobby is nearing the tyranical denial stage that the Tobacco Lobby reached in its dying heyday.
The Marlboro man died of ciggarettes and Chris Kyle died of a similar lack of education.
Crime experts who attribute the drop in killings to better policing or an aging population fail to square the image of a more tranquil nation with this statistic: The reported number of people treated for gunshot attacks from 2001 to 2011 has grown by nearly half
"Did everybody become a lousy shot all of a sudden? No," said Jim Pasco, executive director of the National Fraternal Order of Police, a union that represents about 330,000 officers. "The potential for a victim to survive a wound is greater than it was 15 years ago."
After a steady decline through the 1990s, the annual number of homicides zigzagged before resuming a decline in 2007, falling from 16,929 that year to an estimated 14,722 in 2010, according to FBI crime data.
At the same time, medical data and other surveys in the U.S. show a rising number of serious injuries from assaults with guns and knives. The estimated number of people wounded seriously enough by gunshots to require a hospital stay, rather than treatment and release, rose 47% to 30,759 in 2011 from 20,844 in 2001, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Electronic Injury Surveillance System-All Injury Program. The CDC estimates showed the number of people injured in serious stabbings rose to 23,550 from 22,047 over the same period
Doesnt Rupert the snake ownt the WSJ?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788...
You're focused on the symptom again. What is the root cause of a societal decline, in your opinion?
Demtel

Stavropol, Russia

#109533 Jun 24, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
When you are old enough to go to a bar you will realise why you look ridiculous and someone laughed at your post, kid.
I will never look as ridiculous as you do having to go to Thailand because women in your own country think your a fat sad old loser.
Do you sit there alone at the bar in your out of date clothes trying to suck your fat gut in ? Do you have a comb-over to try and hide your bald head > hahahahaaha

You realize that these women think you're a sad old piece of shit too and would only go near you because of money right ? But then again you do know this and are not there for the women are you, its the kids that all you single old fatso perverts go to Thailand for.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#109534 Jun 24, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
You're focused on the symptom again. What is the root cause of a societal decline, in your opinion?
Wealth inequality.
The abanding of the US domestic economic economy by capitalists since 1972.
(Look at the terms of trade for the US historically.)
The why's are many and ugly.

When the USA was doing well economically it failed to integrate their minorities in any substantial manner. Had the minorities been intergrated in the pre 1970's boom then the welfare dilemna could have been avoided.
Oh well, that is how money goes.No one likes to spend it in advance if possible.

What is the way forward?
Both parties have the same information. They both just want to be the one to implement it.

Biggest expence. Interest.
Pensions
Military
Imprisonment

The US needs to take a break from BS agendas and spend some money on it's citizens.

Of the G20, the US is the 6th last in spending on it's citizens.

WTF. That money is just flowing outside, and it aint on aid.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#109535 Jun 24, 2013
Demtel wrote:
<quoted text>
I will never look as ridiculous as you do having to go to Thailand because women in your own country think your a fat sad old loser.
Do you sit there alone at the bar in your out of date clothes trying to suck your fat gut in ? Do you have a comb-over to try and hide your bald head > hahahahaaha
You realize that these women think you're a sad old piece of shit too and would only go near you because of money right ? But then again you do know this and are not there for the women are you, its the kids that all you single old fatso perverts go to Thailand for.
I love your foolish antics.
HAHA. Will this be the 100th name change you have to make.
HAHAHAHA
Being a bad loser will never make you a winner.

National Whistleblower

“GOVERNMENT OF DECEIVERS (GOD)”

Since: Sep 10

NEWARK, NEW JERSEY

#109536 Jun 24, 2013
Its Collusion / Terrorism responsible for the total destruction of entire American families (economic oppression /suicides and executions / murderbyproxy / American Holocaust)

http://www.federaltimes.com/article/20130623/... -

I AM YHVH DEITY CIPHER 888

http://www.revelations.org.za/NotesS-Name.htm

god - government of deceivers, grand OLE deceit, governing oppressive dis ease (mental illness / American Stockholm Syndrome (ASS))

YHVH suspends mercy in response to god (government of deceivers) suspension of inalienable rights (life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness) in the American Holocaust (moral corruption - fraud - terminal injustice - economic oppression - murderbyproxy - population control - death fix it>deficit<). National goal accomplished reduce government (we the people) reduce government spending (no justice, no liabilities).

Thank YHVH, YHVH welcome, YHVH bless, YHVH way

You
Have
Victory
Halleluejah!

YHVH messenger CN (pronounced CooNbyYA)
International Whistleblower Allen Carlton Jr.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/18775420/Assignment...
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#109537 Jun 24, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Wealth inequality.
When the USA was doing well economically it failed to integrate their minorities in any substantial manner. Had the minorities been intergrated in the pre 1970's boom then the welfare dilemna could have been avoided.
Oh well, that is how money goes.No one likes to spend it in advance if possible.
What is the way forward?
Both parties have the same information. They both just want to be the one to implement it.
Pensions
Military
Imprisonment
The US needs to take a break from BS agendas and spend some money on it's citizens.
I just knew your answer would be all about the money.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#109538 Jun 24, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Wealth inequality.
What is the way forward?
Pensions
Military
Imprisonment
alot of the Minorities here in the US that you speak for have willfully choosen wealth inequality over acheiving Weatlh and prefer the Welfare State or Society instead of working and acheiving wealth just work around some of them I have especially in the Detroit & Cleveland area and they will tell you they cant work and wont or they will loose their welfare and they know if they would gain employment they also know they wont be able to set at home and be provided for and why all this entitlement BS needs to be eliminated altogether.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#109539 Jun 24, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I just knew your answer would be all about the money.
An Englishman might say it is about class. Which means money inequality over generations for unpropetied peasants. With a history of ingrained racism it is difficult even for intermarriage to help alleviate the wealth inequality. Now the 1% are the Eglish tyrants of old are stealing the wealth of the nation and the peasants cling to words like born equal and opportunity in a dream that erodes every time the elites raid the treasury.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#109540 Jun 24, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLMAO...wow...so now YOU speak for everyone else on the thread...that's funny.
You're not "relevant"...you're pathetic with the above statement. You're so pathetic that it's sad.
Oh...and I get to pass some time with the entertainment value by watching you squirm and post some simple, pathetic response like the one above.
Seems to me and everyone here it is clear, thou dost protest too loudly and too much, for me to be anything but "RELEVANT" to you in particular, Hey Pacha?

Perth, Australia

#109541 Jun 24, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
And look how fluent you are...pathetic.
But never as pathetic as someone who needs a gun to replace his limp dick and lack of brains, which is probably the cause of all the incestuous inbreeding in your part of the down home hilbilly backwoods .

Perth, Australia

#109542 Jun 24, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media /images/65255000/jpg/_65255945 _534e4a58-c7aa-495c-905a-f24d9 09f7697.jpg
My question is if guns were so inherently dangerous, why isn't there more shootings at gun shows? I feel safe at those events.
Because you don't bite off the hand that feeds you!

Perth, Australia

#109543 Jun 24, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Violent crime, including crimes with guns, have been going down for the past 20 years.
The murder rate with firearms has been dropping even with increased numbers of guns in civilian hands.
All 50 states have some form of concealed carry...Illinois working on theirs by court order.
Could minute lower gun death toll be because some of those people who own guns have decided NOR to shoot first and ask questions last, because they are the ones adding to the high crime rate? maybe a handful have woken up to the fact that guns DO kill people especially the children? or that with the millions of guns in the country there would have to be more Lanza's out there? that, they are the reason these massacre's and crimes have occurred, because you aide them by giving them such easy access to guns in the first place? or maybe all of the above and America is finally waking up to that fact?
hater of welfare scum

Stavropol, Russia

#109544 Jun 24, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me and everyone here it is clear, thou dost protest too loudly and too much, for me to be anything but "RELEVANT" to you in particular, Hey Pacha?
Everyone ??? The only person on your side is a pedophile.

Perth, Australia

#109545 Jun 24, 2013
hater of welfare scum wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone ??? The only person on your side is a pedophile.
Oh contrare! there are many on my side and more and more everyday as they realise they have been used to power and finance the NRA to their own ends and that is to support the gun manufacturers who make 15000 guns a day, why, for profit you dumb brainwashed troll.
Goats milk Australia

Terrigal, Australia

#109546 Jun 24, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
When you are old enough to go to a bar you will realise why you look ridiculous and someone laughed at your post, kid.
Alcohol is not good for the body, stay sensible, it's probably metho.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#109547 Jun 24, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
But never as pathetic as someone who needs a gun to replace his limp dick and lack of brains, which is probably the cause of all the incestuous inbreeding in your part of the down home hilbilly backwoods .
My, my...not only fluent in the very dialect you dispise...you're apparently well educated and versed in the life of some hillbilly bitch...no surprise there...even more pathetic.

Oh...and you're still irelevant in the scheme of things. All you have is your nasty disposition...your dogs as your only companions...and your sick twisted mind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Experts recommend several measures to reduce fi... 41 min FormerParatrooper 3
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... 10 hr Harry Paratestes 1,587
News Clinton blames Republican leaders for a 'paraly... 11 hr WasteWater 1,165
News Legislators criticize Healey's assault weapons ... Wed Get Out 6
News A Powerful and Pragmatic Approach to Criminal J... Wed Enough Already 1
News Pam Frampton: America: shot through the heart, ... Jul 27 Watchdog 1
News Letter: Second Amendment should be abolished Jul 23 Prep-for-Dep 6
More from around the web