It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103293 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#107251 May 9, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Australian police raid hits gang supply network - video
Police raids across New South Wales on Tuesday result in the arrests of at least 19 people. The suspects are alleged to have supplied drugs, guns and explosives to organised crime groups. Police seizing two firearms with ammunition, drugs and a significant quantity of counterfeit money. Detective superintendent Mick Plotecki says there are still further suspects wanted for questioning in connection with the case
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/ma...
So what I have never denied the organised crime racket in Australia... you have to consider that organised crime had infiltrated the police and MPs and literally ran Sydney...so it is endemic and must be stomped out one crime boss at a time...and we are heading in the right direction now....they have just located some workers in law enforcement who are or have links with bikies that have been able to infiltrate them and access their information(seems everyone knew it, bar the cops,) although they are now saying that it isn't a threat to their security,LOL. I am sure they pick the dumbest people on the planet to become pollies and law enforcers, maybe because everyone else is too smart!

Perth, Australia

#107252 May 9, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Knife killings on the rise in Australia as gun murders fall, says new criminology report
AAP
February 20, 2013 1:02PM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
AUSTRALIANS are shooting each other less and stabbing each other more.
The latest homicide in Australia report by the Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC) shows 13 per cent of people murdered in 2008/09 and 2009/10 were killed by firearms, down from 25 per cent in the late 1980s.
But knife murders have risen from 30 to 41 per cent over the last decade.
The report shows Australia's homicide rate is at a historic low since reporting began in 1989, but the murder rate of indigenous people, although falling, is still four times the national level.
The AIC homicide monitoring program was launched in 1989 and uses information from police and coroners.
Reports usually cover a single year but the latest covers a two year period between 2008-09 (253 murder incidents) and 2009-10 (257 murder incidents).
There were 541 victims and 611 offenders in these incidents, translating to a rate of 1.2 murders per 100,000 people over both years.
The study shows there were 60 murders of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people (34 males and 26 females) over the two-year period, a decrease on previous years.
Overall, that's a rate of 4.1 per 100,000 people, around four times the rate that non-indigenous people are murdered.
“In trend terms, the rate of indigenous victimisation for both males and females has continued to decline steadily since 2001-02,” the report said.
It noted that rates were at historic lows from the peak of 16.2 per 100,000 for males in 1993-94 and 13.5 per 100,000 for females in 1990-91.
Consistent with past years, NSW had the most murders - 153 incidents in 2008-10 - while the ACT, with seven, had the least.
The Northern Territory reported 24 murder incidents over this period but standardised by population size, it has by far the highest murder rate - 4.9 per 100,000 in 2008-09 and 5.7 per 100,000 in 2009-10.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/k...
I would take a knife over a semi any god damn day of the week and is the rise in direct correlation to the influx of immigrants and asylum seekers...all relevant don't you think..Australia has seen a massive boost in their population...with that would come problems especially since most coming from waring countries don't have access to guns here.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#107253 May 9, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I would take a knife over a semi any god damn day of the week and is the rise in direct correlation to the influx of immigrants and asylum seekers...all relevant don't you think..Australia has seen a massive boost in their population...with that would come problems especially since most coming from waring countries don't have access to guns here.
I can reach farther with a semi or hand gun than I can with a knife with a Coyote but your right about the influx of Immigrants in Australia which I read somewhere and it reminds of Canada's immigration too.

Location hidden

#107254 May 9, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
So what I have never denied the organised crime racket in Australia... you have to consider that organised crime had infiltrated the police and MPs and literally ran Sydney...so it is endemic and must be stomped out one crime boss at a time...and we are heading in the right direction now....they have just located some workers in law enforcement who are or have links with bikies that have been able to infiltrate them and access their information(seems everyone knew it, bar the cops,) although they are now saying that it isn't a threat to their security,LOL. I am sure they pick the dumbest people on the planet to become pollies and law enforcers, maybe because everyone else is too smart!
what blew my mind is the fact that Meth is a problem in Australia too is what I couldn't believe I just figured that was a problem here in the US only.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#107255 May 9, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I bet that would only make sense but its still happening.
Actually I was wrong to say firearm murders dropped by 1/3 since 1997.

Firearm murders have dropped by 200%.

Total Homicides have dropped by 1/3 in the same period.
Fromm 299 to 217.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#107256 May 9, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Knife killings on the rise in Australia as gun murders fall, says new criminology report
AAP
February 20, 2013 1:02PM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
AUSTRALIANS are shooting each other less and stabbing each other more.
The latest homicide in Australia report by the Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC) shows 13 per cent of people murdered in 2008/09 and 2009/10 were killed by firearms, down from 25 per cent in the late 1980s.
But knife murders have risen from 30 to 41 per cent over the last decade.
The report shows Australia's homicide rate is at a historic low since reporting began in 1989, but the murder rate of indigenous people, although falling, is still four times the national level.
The AIC homicide monitoring program was launched in 1989 and uses information from police and coroners.
Reports usually cover a single year but the latest covers a two year period between 2008-09 (253 murder incidents) and 2009-10 (257 murder incidents).
There were 541 victims and 611 offenders in these incidents, translating to a rate of 1.2 murders per 100,000 people over both years.
The study shows there were 60 murders of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people (34 males and 26 females) over the two-year period, a decrease on previous years.
Overall, that's a rate of 4.1 per 100,000 people, around four times the rate that non-indigenous people are murdered.
“In trend terms, the rate of indigenous victimisation for both males and females has continued to decline steadily since 2001-02,” the report said.
It noted that rates were at historic lows from the peak of 16.2 per 100,000 for males in 1993-94 and 13.5 per 100,000 for females in 1990-91.
Consistent with past years, NSW had the most murders - 153 incidents in 2008-10 - while the ACT, with seven, had the least.
The Northern Territory reported 24 murder incidents over this period but standardised by population size, it has by far the highest murder rate - 4.9 per 100,000 in 2008-09 and 5.7 per 100,000 in 2009-10.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/k...
Good point.
If it we subtract the blacks from the USA and Australian murders then Australia still has 4 x less murders than the USA.

Now imagine if we were stupid enough to let them get their hands on firearms.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#107257 May 9, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>what blew my mind is the fact that Meth is a problem in Australia too is what I couldn't believe I just figured that was a problem here in the US only.
It is an even bigger problem in SE Asia.
Yabba they call it.
Workers can contract for 48 hours straight on it.
The supply chain for the Ingredients for meth come from SEA to Guatemalia and then to the Mexican Cartels who make and then ship throughout South and North America.

Indian and Chinese knock off medications.
In Cambodia and Laos you can buy anything over the counter without a prescription.
Nothing sinister, just a lack of sophistication by their legislatures to write a coherent policy that can be enacted.

So even drugs are Global now, and one region affects other geopolitical regions.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#107258 May 9, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but there are ways you can limit that....take out the big guns...even most of the gangs work for a Mr Big?
There's always someone ready to take Mr. Big's place.

The court system is a revolving door for the underlings.

Location hidden

#107259 May 9, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
It is an even bigger problem in SE Asia.
Yabba they call it.
Workers can contract for 48 hours straight on it.
The supply chain for the Ingredients for meth come from SEA to Guatemalia and then to the Mexican Cartels who make and then ship throughout South and North America.
Indian and Chinese knock off medications.
In Cambodia and Laos you can buy anything over the counter without a prescription.
Nothing sinister, just a lack of sophistication by their legislatures to write a coherent policy that can be enacted.
So even drugs are Global now, and one region affects other geopolitical regions.
very interesting for sure.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#107260 May 9, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point.
If it we subtract the blacks from the USA and Australian murders then Australia still has 4 x less murders than the USA.
Now imagine if we were stupid enough to let them get their hands on firearms.
How about the Latino gangs, Russian, and so on?
GoGoBar

Thailand

#107261 May 9, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the Latino gangs, Russian, and so on?
Apart from all the other reasons, your future demographics is one of the foremost reasons that the marketing of consumer firearms without adequate national legislation is foolish.

Just look into the future when the Ethnics become the majority, 2044.

Think Politics are difficult now?
It will be easy for the ethnics in the future.
And you want them all to have the level of guns you have now?

Perth, Australia

#107262 May 10, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I can reach farther with a semi or hand gun than I can with a knife with a Coyote but your right about the influx of Immigrants in Australia which I read somewhere and it reminds of Canada's immigration too.
Yes it has been non stop under this government...they have not got the balls to make a judgement for those people if it means they lose votes...And Howard's policy went too far the other way where people are literally incarcerated for years....it isn't good...I don't know how we even got a temp seat on the UN, it is a joke right.

Perth, Australia

#107263 May 10, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
There's always someone ready to take Mr. Big's place.
The court system is a revolving door for the underlings.
Yes or it could be like LA...they kept them out didn't they?...if they did, we should find out how they did it and mirror it?...I am sure we have the numbers and they would be stuffed if we didn't buy what they are selling...

Perth, Australia

#107264 May 10, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>what blew my mind is the fact that Meth is a problem in Australia too is what I couldn't believe I just figured that was a problem here in the US only.
No, it is just as bad here...it's everywhere...it is an ongoing problem with party goers and the like, where weekend nights are horrendous for Nurses doctors and the cops....and we also have a huge problem with binge drinking, but that apparently is decreasing slowly as the younger people coming up the ranks are getting more educated, like smoking the more education the more it decreases here. The government also advertise's a lot on the TV etc...so young people are slowly getting informed but with the older generation it is embedded in the Australian bogan psyche. One of the single main problems is still the kids that don't have the proper guidance or after school activities and they're left to their own devices too long without strong parental supervision...never a good thing.

GunShow1

“Shall NOT be infringed!”

Since: Apr 13

San Jose, CA.

#107265 May 10, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely. Demonstrating how useless they would be. All they are proposing is nothing but power grab.
PRECISELY.
sid

Chermside, Australia

#107266 May 10, 2013
I have 4 kids and one thing did when the first boy was about 3 or 4 [can't remember exactly] was stop smoking dope ,and not did not allow anyone to smoke it at our house. You have to remove the drug culture and that starts in the home and the family, even young kids are not stupid, they see what their parents are doing and follow. I see parents as the major cause of kids on dope, parents that use dope and pretend to their kids that they don't or parents that tolerate their kids using dope. After all you would have to be a pretty damn thick headed parent if you couldn't work out that your kid was using dope. I think a lot of parents just let it go and say “ the kids will grow out of it and move on “ but a lot don't and plenty of damage is done before it become a huge problem. Very difficult if not impossible to put back together a drug fucked mind.
Tray

Saltillo, MS

#107267 May 10, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I was wrong to say firearm murders dropped by 1/3 since 1997.
Firearm murders have dropped by 200%.
Total Homicides have dropped by 1/3 in the same period.
Fromm 299 to 217.
How do you get a drop of %200?%100 would be ALL so then %200 would be a negative number. For that to be possible ALL those murdered in the past would have to come back to life.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#107268 May 10, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a shame. If this corruption continues then Australia will be reminiscent of Pakistan and will degenerate into 3rd world standards. I hope the police keep on top of corruption.
If it continues to spiral out of control, i would support the implementation of draconian style laws to send a powerful message to potential criminals.
As you can see, criminals laugh at our legal system, soft sentences and continue to be a problem because they know they can get away with it.
It's just simple human psychology. There's nothing keeping criminals from re-offending.

Perth, Australia

#107269 May 10, 2013
sid wrote:
I have 4 kids and one thing did when the first boy was about 3 or 4 [can't remember exactly] was stop smoking dope ,and not did not allow anyone to smoke it at our house. You have to remove the drug culture and that starts in the home and the family, even young kids are not stupid, they see what their parents are doing and follow. I see parents as the major cause of kids on dope, parents that use dope and pretend to their kids that they don't or parents that tolerate their kids using dope. After all you would have to be a pretty damn thick headed parent if you couldn't work out that your kid was using dope. I think a lot of parents just let it go and say “ the kids will grow out of it and move on “ but a lot don't and plenty of damage is done before it become a huge problem. Very difficult if not impossible to put back together a drug fucked mind.
That is just it...some parents foresee problem where their lifestyle affects their kids and have the courage to do what it takes...others just aren't strong enough...Onyer Sid, happy mothers day for Sunday :)

Perth, Australia

#107270 May 10, 2013
Agent_Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a shame. If this corruption continues then Australia will be reminiscent of Pakistan and will degenerate into 3rd world standards. I hope the police keep on top of corruption.
If it continues to spiral out of control, i would support the implementation of draconian style laws to send a powerful message to potential criminals.
As you can see, criminals laugh at our legal system, soft sentences and continue to be a problem because they know they can get away with it.
It's just simple human psychology. There's nothing keeping criminals from re-offending.
Well you should know troll seeing you reside there! Are you part of the problem or the solutions?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The news media love America. The government, no... 20 hr FormerParatrooper 56
Taurus Gaucho Revolver (May '06) Sat Senb12 29
News Lawyer: 'Pharma Bro' joking about bounty for Cl... Sep 13 Jeff Brightone 2
News Ryan Blocking Concealed Carry Reciprocity, Cong... Sep 11 FormerParatrooper 1
News D.C. Requests Hearing on Protection of Second A... Sep 10 Lou Posey 3
News SCOTUS Asked to Review Ninth Circuit Decision o... Sep 9 FormerParatrooper 2
News Dove Hunting: Think Wires, Water, Treeline Breaks Sep 9 Get Out 2
More from around the web