It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#106665 May 4, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the argument earlier in the thread was a federal one size fits all law would impose NY and LA values on states like Alaska and yours.
Even so, she jumped the trolley on that post by using an example that does not fit that description, as what she said in her example would effect all citizens the same and would not be state specific nor would it point out the differences in attitudes of urban -v- rural folks where the urban view is being forced on the rural folks.

If she wishes this state to state debate, it would behoove her to use examples that actually adhered to the point.

GunShow1

“Shall NOT be infringed!”

Since: Apr 13

San Jose, CA.

#106666 May 4, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
A republic yes. However, do not the people retain impeachment power through their rerpresentatives, over the SCOTUS?
Indeed We do. But they have divided us so much that we do not realize the power that we possess. And they have been playing this game with our INALIENABLE RIGHTS, for far to long.

"United We Stand, divided we fall"--John Marshall, U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice, and delegate to the Virginia Constitutional Convention.

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#106667 May 4, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the argument earlier in the thread was a federal one size fits all law would impose NY and LA values on states like Alaska and yours.
The FACT remains, that NEITHER the federal OR the state has the delegated authority to impose ANY prior restraints or limitations on We The People to Keep and Bear Arms PERIOD. And that was the case in this country all the way up until the first tyrannical usurpation of 1934, concerning the fed. Many of the cities and states have been off and on infringing however. And that, because the federal has never lived up to its obligation. Those are our RIGHTS, as citizens of the United States - REGARDLESS of what state we live in. They were our rights as subjects of the British crown. We have let our servants whittle them down by technical [mis]constructions.

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#106668 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
It affects me in as much as seeing uneducated people being browbeaten by ignorance and propaganda by gun toting idiots that actually don't have a leg to go on seeing that you are not losing your guns and I was about to clearly prove that, but alas no takers...who would have thought that gun toting fearmongers wouldn't want an open state by state debate to clearly define the actual loss or gain(background checks) to gun owners. You have not surprised me in the slightest, in fact you run true to form.
Shove off roohumper, it is no business at ALL of yours concerning our rights.

Location hidden

#106669 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I absolutely agree and that is my point.
So, your point was that BOTH parties are corrupt, and then go on to blame the people for having no choice, but yet it is their fault that corrupt folks populate the halls of congress.
Interesting.

Location hidden

#106670 May 4, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed We do. But they have divided us so much that we do not realize the power that we possess. And they have been playing this game with our INALIENABLE RIGHTS, for far to long.
"United We Stand, divided we fall"--John Marshall, U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice, and delegate to the Virginia Constitutional Convention.
Stockholm Syndrome.

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#106671 May 4, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is not a right.
Two or more people have a right of joining in unions to procreate, but they certainly do not have a right to marriage. The right of personally joining together is part of the right to life portion of the self evident inalienable rights referred to in the DOI.
Legal marriage is a priveledge granted to those of which the state approves. Rights do NOT have state fees attached to them nor do rights require licensing to enact them. Priveledges however are just such a occurance, as a license to marry is granted by the state after qualifying and paying a fee to the state for the license.
Most correct.

Location hidden

#106672 May 4, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then, that is not a republic of citizens and states. That is a centralized democracy where the many overpower the few, and the principles of freedom and the reality of individual inalienable rights are thrown out the window.
A republic is strong only when the individual is strong. A collective is not a republic and the individual is destroyed.

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#106673 May 4, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Stockholm Syndrome.
Unfortunately, and possibly even worse; apathetic.
bang -------bang bang

San Jose, CA

#106675 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
What will Alaska lose if gun control is introduced....
A: Nothing, they will still be able to keep their guns needed for personal protection and hunting etc
What will they gain?
A: ALL sellers of guns, in any capacity are required a make thorough background checks on each purchase, this will enable the seller to restrict gun sales to those with only a clean slate. It should also include those who freely admit themselves to a mental medical facility and all records should be linked be they mental or law enforcement to allow those doing the checks to be thorough.
gun control is for british morons In America, The men who wrote the declaration of independence, the constitution and the bill of rights all had citizens best interests in mind when they allowed us to have fire arms as they knew that one day it would be neccessary for us to take up those arms against a tyrannical government. That time is quickly approaching again
bang -------bang bang

San Jose, CA

#106676 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone lives by rules and regulations...even you, else those guns you have are not legal! I know what it means to Americans, it means they can live in a decent society as planned by those who wrote it, or they can live in a society of death and wanton destruction...the amount of gun death sees you living the latter.
yes sir gun control is important if you don't control your gun then you miss your&#65279; target.an assault rifle with a 30 round magazine will not stop a tank or plane. It will, however, stop the individuals who are coming through your front door
bang -------bang bang

San Jose, CA

#106677 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone lives by rules and regulations...even you, else those guns you have are not legal! I know what it means to Americans, it means they can live in a decent society as planned by those who wrote it, or they can live in a society of death and wanton destruction...the amount of gun death sees you living the latter.
australian Government is a fascist police state and wants you disarmed before too many people wake up. Anyone with half a brain knows this is a fact. Police are now our masters and we have become their slaves
No need

Huntsville, AL

#106680 May 4, 2013
bang -------bang bang wrote:
<quoted text>

It will, however, stop the individuals who are coming through your front door
the JWs will usually leave without the need to pull out an assault weapon.
Coo

Huntsville, AL

#106681 May 4, 2013
<quoted text> australian Government is a fascist police state and wants you disarmed before too many people wake up. Anyone with half a brain knows this is a fact. Police are now our masters and we have become their slaves
koo

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#106682 May 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>this is what you said
"Gay people should have the right to bond, and unlike polygamy it is a relationship that involves two people."
So where am I against gays here, is it because I said, they have the right to bond, or the part where I said it is a relationship that involves two people, you ignorant twit.
Now for the second part, where am I against polygamy? Was it the only part in the post that stated unlike polygamy it is a relationship that involves two people?....is that or is that not a factual reality? And not saying anything negative about polygamists ether..you bloody yankee nitwit.

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#106683 May 4, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a candidate with integrity named Ron Paul. The establishment saw to it that the primaries were rigged in each of several states, and when they could not stop the support for him from the people, they locked him out of the convention even though he had won enough states to officially be on the ballot, and the republican hierarchy refused to seat any of his delegates, up to and including restraining and handcuffing some of them to chairs until their presence was no longer vaild.
You blame the people for that and accuse them of electing corrupt officials in an election process that was corrupt itself.
You got a lot of damn gall lady, or stupidity and have no reasoning skills at all.
Oh seriously the godfather of the tea party, don't make me laugh the guy that spends his life as a filibusterer..you want to put this guy up as an honest not paid for by the NRA poster boy, he never stood for anything he didn't change his mind on eventually...I can understand why someone like you would think he was a decent man....he was like you an idiot a bigot and a pass the buck kind of bible bashing ignorant that I would expect you to put up as President...hilarious....

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#106684 May 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>no I am not saying that I understand how the 3 branches of Government works which a lot people don't understand is the problem which they have proved that with several post on here especially dealing with the 14th amendment.
None of that was needed to begin with:

United States Constitution

"Article. IV.

"Section. 2.

"The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States."

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#106686 May 4, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
None of that was needed to begin with:
United States Constitution
"Article. IV.
"Section. 2.
"The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States."
13th amendment made changes to Article 4 too.

Article Four of the United States Constitution outlines the duties states have to each other, as well as those the federal government has to the states. Article Four also provides for the admission of new states and the changing of state boundaries. Additionally, it contains the Fugitive Slave Clause. The passage of the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which forbids slavery, made the clause mostly moot.

Privileges and Immunities

Main article: Privileges and Immunities Clause

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

Clause One of Section 2 requires interstate protection of "privileges and immunities". The seeming ambiguity of the clause has given rise to a number of different interpretations. Some contend that the clause requires Congress to treat all citizens equally. Others suggest that citizens of states carry the rights accorded by their home states while traveling in other states.

Neither of these theories has been endorsed by the Supreme Court, which has held that the clause means that a state may not discriminate against citizens of other states in favor of its own citizens. In Corfield v. Coryell, 6 F. Cas. 546 (C.C.E.D. Pa. 1823), the federal circuit court held that privileges and immunities in respect of which discrimination is barred include

protection by the Government; the enjoyment of life and liberty ... the right of a citizen of one State to pass through, or to reside in any other State, for purposes of trade, agriculture, professional pursuits, or otherwise; to claim the benefits of the writ of habeas corpus; to institute and maintain actions of any kind in the courts of the State; to take, hold and dispose of property, either real or personal; and an exemption from higher taxes or impositions than are paid by the other citizens of the State.

Most other benefits were held not to be protected privileges and immunities. In Corfield the circuit court sustained a New Jersey law giving state residents the exclusive right to gather clams and oysters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Four_of_...
bang -------bang bang

San Jose, CA

#106687 May 4, 2013
No need wrote:
<quoted text>
the JWs will usually leave without the need to pull out an assault weapon.
i agree on that one
GoGoBar

Thailand

#106688 May 4, 2013
<quoted text> australian Government is a fascist police state and wants you disarmed before too many people wake up. Anyone with half a brain knows this is a fact. Police are now our masters and we have become their slaves
Your master perhaps bong bong..
If you cant do well in Australia then you will be a starving peasant anywhere else. No matter how many guns you have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DNC Chair Frontrunner Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Min... 7 hr coyote505 4
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... (Jun '16) Tue Chick1445 2,498
News Hudson Proposes National Concealed Carry Bill Tue Butterfly4273 4
My self defense method Dec 3 justice 10
News Ban shooting in and around subdivisions Dec 3 duzitreallymatter 1
News St. Louis Alderwoman Introduces 'Assault Weapon... Nov 19 duzitreallymatter 1
News The power and glory of the comma Nov 15 Flintstonegeek 1
More from around the web