It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103292 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#106630 May 4, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"you believe it can't be done in regards to guns"
No one has said that it can not be done.
The point is that it is FORBIDDEN to be done.
"ignored the laws back then when it suited you to deny a black mans rights"
Yeah how about that Aho? EVIL dwells in the heart of man. Guess what? We fixed it.
Apples and oranges Aho.
You are either incredibly dense or unbelievably intentionally obtuse and deceitful.
You cannot explain the evil of so many men in America that have degraded a society so low that guns are the number one concern....you are a sick country...BTW deceitful....You dare call me deceitful...you fear monger and lie about losing your rights and it is a lie based on fear...You gun lovers and the NRA are opposing the introduction of background checks which is of major benefit to a society trying to limit guns getting into the wrong hands, Why? What have most of YOU gun buyers got to hide, would be more the question?
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#106631 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
very informative as always...:)
There are people in the world that treat another group of our society with bigotry and ignorance, as they have done to women,(the most downtrodden group in the world)...followed by ageism where the elderly are no longer treated as having any rights past 65 or of having any use to our society, race because the colour of your skin denies you the rights to equality and gays who have been denied the same rights we all should have to a union based on respect and love for one another. The rights for gays to marry is not an issue to me as others(and for those like me that believe these people don't magically disappear if you don't think about them simply because you are not happy with their sexual orientation) the right to marriage is one they deserve as equally as do we.
It is my belief that government shouldn't be sticking its nose into marriage. Get government out of marriage. It's the government's own laws and tax codes that make marriage a necessity.

Divorces, child custody, property rights protection laws are state laws. States have been doing this whether married or not.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#106632 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
It has been sold out by the people, because without the people the government wouldn't exist...you can't expect to back big business like the NRA so that they pay money to influence the decisions of congress and your sitting member to the point of corruption and then expect a government run without likewise input and corruption....it is unreasonable and hypocritical.
Like hell the people sold out. At worst the people's crime was that they were too trusting of their elected officials and that is where the elected ones sold out the people and ran afoul the principles of freedom intact as written or amended. The people's burden of what has happened was a simple mistake of apathy and misplaced trust.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#106633 May 4, 2013
Mr Tumescent wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU ARE INCORRECT!
If YOUR U.S. Supreme Court 'rules' a certain contrary way, then YOU —the PEOPLE— may counter them via your own U.S. Congress.
And since YOUR U.S. Congress is 'supposed' to represent the lot of yourselves, the by your vote, it is YOU whom has the ULTIMATE, i.e., LAST, word on matters, and NOT your U.S. Supreme Court.
true with what you are saying and it has happened before and we are dealing with that now with the Health Insurance companies which now operate as monopolies because of the ruling by the SCOTUS in the case of United States v. South-Eastern Underwriters Association in which is a United States Supreme Court case in which the Court held that the Sherman Antitrust Act, the federal antitrust statute, applied to insurance. To reach this decision, the Court held that insurance could be regulated by the United States Congress under the Commerce Clause, overturning Paul v. Virginia. Congress responded by enacting the McCarran-Ferguson Act of 1945 which limited antitrust laws' applicability to the business and assured state authority would continue over insurance.

United States v. South-Eastern Underwriters Association

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v....

McCarran–Ferguson Act

The McCarran–Ferguson Act, 15 U.S.C.§§ 1011-1015, is a United States federal law that exempts the business of insurance from most federal regulation, including federal antitrust laws to a limited extent. The McCarran–Ferguson Act was passed by Congress in 1945 after the Supreme Court ruled in United States v. South-Eastern Underwriters Association that the federal government could regulate insurance companies under the authority of the Commerce Clause in the U.S. Constitution.

The Act was sponsored by Senators Pat McCarran (D-Nev.) and Homer Ferguson (R-Mich.).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarran%E2%80%9...

Glandore, Australia

#106634 May 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>that I disagree because you are back pedaling and you are going back against your own argument of restricting the rights and privileges of another group that you were using against and about the 14th amendment of the US Constitution.
How about you clarify what group I am back peddling on...religious?

Location hidden

#106635 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I believe I have an opinion on it and therefore have as much right to you to air it on an open forum...if you are cannot come up with some strong reasons to oppose the debate I understand but don't pooh pah it on the bases YOU believe I don't have a right to be here....that is just cowardly.
I said nothing of you not having a right to be here. I merely stated that most of us refrain from engaging in such debates with outsiders who deride us at each and every turn where we disagree.
Simple really. If you were to actually engage in civil debate and keep your name calling and belittling of my fellow patriots, it may be different in your case, but that is not how you operate. You insist on speaking to us as if we were your bastard stepchildren who have somehow mistakenly earned your wrath and hate and discontent.

Location hidden

#106636 May 4, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are woefully INCORRECT. And THAT because we are a Constitutional Republic. Our hired servants are BOUND by solemn oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. And if they VIOLATE that oath, then We The People are no longer bound in allegiance to obey ANYTHING they dictate.
>You< are contending that we are under obligatory rule. And THAT is most certainly NOT the case.
no I am not saying that I understand how the 3 branches of Government works which a lot people don't understand is the problem which they have proved that with several post on here especially dealing with the 14th amendment.

Location hidden

#106637 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
It affects me in as much as seeing uneducated people being browbeaten by ignorance and propaganda by gun toting idiots that actually don't have a leg to go on seeing that you are not losing your guns and I was about to clearly prove that, but alas no takers...who would have thought that gun toting fearmongers wouldn't want an open state by state debate to clearly define the actual loss or gain(background checks) to gun owners. You have not surprised me in the slightest, in fact you run true to form.
Interesting.
You say noone in opposition to you has a leg to stand on even before you engage in this debate, but yet want "takers" in your bashing?
<rolls eyes>
You think your case so airtight, you need no "takers".
Make your case, and THEN see if there are any takers. THAT is how it is done Aussie.

Make your case.

Location hidden

#106638 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you clarify what group I am back peddling on...religious?
Gays & Polygamist.

Glandore, Australia

#106639 May 4, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Like hell the people sold out. At worst the people's crime was that they were too trusting of their elected officials and that is where the elected ones sold out the people and ran afoul the principles of freedom intact as written or amended. The people's burden of what has happened was a simple mistake of apathy and misplaced trust.
A good deal of your elected officials are as bent as they come and you all knew it before you elected them, some are in the pocket of the gun manufacturers and those are the ones the republicans vote for, but they are all funded by someone and it is not hard to find out who, if you were really that interested...so you will support those in favour of guns and then you whinge when your government and congress and state officials are corrupt...that is funny.

Location hidden

#106640 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
What it means is that you bigot use it to beat everyone over the head with it, just to keep your guns...Do you think the forefathers could predict that their ideal of a decent fair society is what you have now? do you think that they would be happy at how you(especially the gun lovers) have allowed children to be murdered for the greed by companies and the stupidity of the masses to have guns flood your streets ...do you think the forefathers could have foreseen how weapons that fire 40 bullets can be used, not for the militia or in defense of your family but to aid a single nutter to shoot and kill en masse...How many multifamily murders by gun were there in their time.....How many drive by's, how many husbands shooting their wives....they would say as I say...you have bastardised their meaning on the right to bear arms.
"What it means is that you bigot use it to beat everyone over the head with it, just to keep your guns"
Just as I thought. You have no intention of explaining what the constitution means. No surprise there, as you have consistantly shown that you have no clue as to what it means ... especially to a true American.

Your drivel after that avoiding the question sentence, is ill thought and presented.
What the forefathers knew was the heart of man and how the nayture of man is such that they insist on controlling others and that power corrupts the human heart.
In their day, the streets were ALREADY "flooded" with guns. There were MORE people, percentage wise in their day who owned guns, then there is today.
I doubt most envisioned a horseless carriage either.
The nature of man and his behavior patterns is a constant. The advances (if one can call it that) of mankind's tools and technology has no effect nor bearing on that fact.
Tis folks like you with your misundertstanding of some simple basic facts of mankind's journey and nature, which bastardize the principles of life and freedom as written by them.
One big reason folks like you miss or ignore the principles, is because your type needs rules and regulations in the form of written edict to govern your every act in life, where a free thinking person has the uncanny ability to control their own behavior and respect each other sans the overburden of excessive regulations and rules of living life.

Glandore, Australia

#106641 May 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Gays & Polygamist.
I don't see how you can say that! I have nothing against either...state where I have?

Location hidden

#106643 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see how you can say that! I have nothing against either...state where I have?
http://www.topix.com/forum/gun s/TIOOJ2V09UCFQ7AUF/p4981#c106 608

Glandore, Australia

#106644 May 4, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting.
You say noone in opposition to you has a leg to stand on even before you engage in this debate, but yet want "takers" in your bashing?
<rolls eyes>
You think your case so airtight, you need no "takers".
Make your case, and THEN see if there are any takers. THAT is how it is done Aussie.
Make your case.
What will Alaska lose if gun control is introduced....
A: Nothing, they will still be able to keep their guns needed for personal protection and hunting etc
What will they gain?
A: ALL sellers of guns, in any capacity are required a make thorough background checks on each purchase, this will enable the seller to restrict gun sales to those with only a clean slate. It should also include those who freely admit themselves to a mental medical facility and all records should be linked be they mental or law enforcement to allow those doing the checks to be thorough.

Location hidden

#106645 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Post 106608

http://www.topix.com/forum/guns/TIOOJ2V09UCFQ...

Glandore, Australia

#106646 May 4, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"What it means is that you bigot use it to beat everyone over the head with it, just to keep your guns"
Just as I thought. You have no intention of explaining what the constitution means. No surprise there, as you have consistantly shown that you have no clue as to what it means ... especially to a true American.
Your drivel after that avoiding the question sentence, is ill thought and presented.
What the forefathers knew was the heart of man and how the nayture of man is such that they insist on controlling others and that power corrupts the human heart.
In their day, the streets were ALREADY "flooded" with guns. There were MORE people, percentage wise in their day who owned guns, then there is today.
I doubt most envisioned a horseless carriage either.
The nature of man and his behavior patterns is a constant. The advances (if one can call it that) of mankind's tools and technology has no effect nor bearing on that fact.
Tis folks like you with your misundertstanding of some simple basic facts of mankind's journey and nature, which bastardize the principles of life and freedom as written by them.
One big reason folks like you miss or ignore the principles, is because your type needs rules and regulations in the form of written edict to govern your every act in life, where a free thinking person has the uncanny ability to control their own behavior and respect each other sans the overburden of excessive regulations and rules of living life.
Everyone lives by rules and regulations...even you, else those guns you have are not legal! I know what it means to Americans, it means they can live in a decent society as planned by those who wrote it, or they can live in a society of death and wanton destruction...the amount of gun death sees you living the latter.

Location hidden

#106647 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
A good deal of your elected officials are as bent as they come and you all knew it before you elected them, some are in the pocket of the gun manufacturers and those are the ones the republicans vote for, but they are all funded by someone and it is not hard to find out who, if you were really that interested...so you will support those in favour of guns and then you whinge when your government and congress and state officials are corrupt...that is funny.
You have a little trouble remaining consistant in your logic.
There is precious little difference between the two parties and both are populated by corrupt officials.

Glandore, Australia

#106648 May 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
That doesn't say anything to support me back peddling...did you get it wrong!

Location hidden

#106649 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot explain the evil of so many men
Explain evil? WTF?

Location hidden

#106650 May 4, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You clearly stated that polygamy is unacceptable and not deserving of any marriage benefits. You clearly are prejudiced against unions that consist of more than two people irregardless of gender.
Then you tried to weasle out of what you stated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News US civilian shoots dead armed car thief: police 1 hr The Green Watch Dog 4
News Student arrested for refusing to leave 'die-in' 2 hr Marauder 14
News Largest maker of bump stocks will stop acceptin... Sun Into The Night 995
News Americaa s Largest Doctora s Group Calls for a ... Sun Say What 1
News Newspaper fires anti-Trump cartoonist; mayor wa... Jun 14 Gunner 3
News Trump's plan will seek to 'harden' schools agai... Jun 14 javawhey 1,913
News Donald Trump meets families of school shooting ... Jun 14 HillaryStinksAgain 130