It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103293 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#106440 May 3, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah mate you are looking at it in the wrong way aye, flip your cock round the other way right side up. The gun is not just a tool.
Its not a spanner, not a tape measure, not a tyre pump, not a vibrater, not a fake boob.
A gun is a tool that is designed to kill.
Not pump up car tyres, give females solo pleasure , not measure a length of pine.
A gun is a tool that is designed to kill.
That my friend is the main significance.
You are correct Larry. A gun is a tool that was designed mainly to kill.
The point is however, there are only a few times that it is appropriate to use it in that endeavor, and therein lies your misunderstanding.

You are incorrect though as to how else a gun can be used. Some make fine hammers, and many are works of displayed art or artifacts of history. I have used a gun as a measuring device while cutting wood too Larry. I have also used one to water the cows in the wintertime. Yes Larry, I used it to blow some holes in the ice so I could clear it for them to drink.

BTW Larry, what is a gun besides "just a tool"? You say in the beginning that it is not just a tool, and then conclude by saying that it is a tool. Make up your mind Larry.

Location hidden

#106441 May 3, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So does; water, fire, baseball bats, pieces of pipe, knives, swords, poison, rope, lions, tigers, bears, wolves, snakes, automobiles, aircraft, rocks, tall buildings, hands, feet, etc.
But do you want to know what the NUMBER ONE KILLER IN THE HISTORY OF MAN is? CORRUPT GOVERNMENTS.
Your shortsightedness is appalling. Grow up.
Actually that is the number two cause.
The number one killer is Mother Nature herself.
<snort>

Location hidden

#106442 May 3, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually dumb arse...the first people to exploit the Americas...was the vikings(Norse) in the 11th century and they were just one of many...so my reality of history is secured...beetch...
You forgot the word "perceived" between the words "my" and "reality".

Location hidden

#106443 May 3, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no risk free ownership of a gun.
There is no risk free ownership of;
cars
swimming pools
knives
baseball bats
apartment buildings
homes
bridges
apple orchard
lighters
saws
lathes
drills
washing machines
clothes dryers
hair dryers
necklaces
matches
pesticides
herbicides
irrigation ditches
trampolines
horseshoe pits
animals of all kinds and types
hammers
fireplace pokers
lead pipes
generators
air compressors
cooking stoves
heating stoves
water heaters
cement mixers
bread mixers

Although what you said is quite accurate to be sure, do you see how ridiculous that point is when you try to use it as a deterrent to own guns and a reason to ban them?

Location hidden

#106444 May 3, 2013
Larry wrote:
Off topic, where is your best farmland in the US?
Right under my feet.
One can not adequately answer your question until you give more information in your query. Things like; what do you wish to grow Larry?
You want grapes and other fruits? Napa Valley California.
Corn? Iowa
Potatoes? Idaho
Malt Barley? The high plains.

Get the point?

Location hidden

#106445 May 3, 2013
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
What about that 5 year old who killed his little sister with a gun that was propped up in a corner and nobody knew was loaded?
Poor parenting and improper gun storage and condition (like being loaded).
Somebody knew it was loaded. Like a parent.

Location hidden

#106446 May 3, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> oh yeah seven metres long some of em, up Darwin, there are legends of salties being nine metres long, but we dont always take so much notice of them up there, for one they drink too much, but it wouldnt surprise me if bigger ones were out there..
They need to stop shooting all the big ones, they are a tourist attraction.
How much does a salties drink up there?
GoGoBar is a pedo

Thailand

#106447 May 3, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Yes he can yell fire in a cinema, especially if there is a fire. The same as calling you an idiot if you are one.
Is thet why the posts were deleted?
"Oh, my name is Trayvon. I am pushing up Daisies."

Try Vaseline.

Location hidden

#106448 May 3, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on mate, it wouldnt be the having a gun in the first place..
No. No it would not. It is poor parenting that allows a loaded weapon to be in reach of a 5 year old, just as surely as it is poor parenting when they leave their 5 year old and two year old in a car in the sun. Were the kids left in the car because their parents owned a car?

Come on Larry, use your gourd.

Location hidden

#106449 May 3, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
The gun was made specifically for children. A little mini rifle manufactured and marketed by Keystone. It was the 5 yo's own firearm.
Perhaps keystone might fit a safety lock so that the rifle can only be operated under adult supervision.
Keystone's website for their "Kiddie Corner" marketing is down for obvious reasons.
Interesting you even mention adult supervision, as it was the very lack thereof which allowed the child access to it in the first place at a time when the weapon should have been secured away from the child's access.
Your reasoning skills are down too my friend.
GoGoBar is a pedo

Thailand

#106450 May 3, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor parenting and improper gun storage and condition (like being loaded).
Somebody knew it was loaded. Like a parent.
Corporate profits, badly designed miniture Kiddie Corner rifle, and the pressure of living on food stamps in a trailer,.

The 5 year old owner of the gun didnt know it was loaded.
I wonder why he was such an idiot! Charge HIM.

Hang on. Kids are collateral damage to gunnuts.

Location hidden

#106451 May 3, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
The gun was made specifically for children. A little mini rifle manufactured and marketed by Keystone. It was the 5 yo's own firearm.
Perhaps keystone might fit a safety lock so that the rifle can only be operated under adult supervision.
Keystone's website for their "Kiddie Corner" marketing is down for obvious reasons.
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
Just what, exactly, do you find funny about that child"s death Larry?
GoGoBar is a pedo

Thailand

#106452 May 3, 2013
A two-year-old girl has become the second child in the US to be shot dead by a sibling this week, after her five-year-old brother shot her with a rifle designed for children, officials revealed on Wednesday.

Officials in Kentucky say the five-year-old boy was playing with a rifle designed for children and given to him as a gift, when he accidentally shot his younger sister.

The two-year-old girl was pronounced dead after being rushed to a hospital following the shooting on Tuesday in rural Kentucky, police said.

The death follows a similar incident on Monday where a five-year-old girl in a remote Alaska community was reportedly shot and killed by her eight-year-old brother.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-02/5yo-boy...

Kentuckee and Alaska. Just normal.
popeye

Torrance, CA

#106453 May 3, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
How so?....tobacco is a legal substance in this country and the government saw fit to make it illegal to smoke it on public transport, in privately owned and run restaurants, hotels, open air cafe's, cinema's etc, yet it is still a legal substance, and the joke is now they want to legalise marijuana and most people smoke that. LOL....Now why can't they prohibit the use of guns the same way? They are doing it with alcohol as well...but gambling and smoking weed...go for it.
if Only the cops and bad guys would have firearms. I would not want to be in the middle of that
GoGoBar is a pedo

Thailand

#106454 May 3, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting you even mention adult supervision, as it was the very lack thereof which allowed the child access to it in the first place at a time when the weapon should have been secured away from the child's access.
The child owned the gun.
You know, the Keystone Kiddie Gun.
Infant brother to the Cricket.

Ie was a gift from a well meaning gunnut/

Location hidden

#106455 May 3, 2013
GoGoBar is a pedo wrote:
<quoted text>
The 5 year old owner of the gun didnt know it was loaded.
I wonder why he was such an idiot! Charge HIM.
I agree. The parent is responsible for that child's death.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#106456 May 3, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
How so?....tobacco is a legal substance in this country and the government saw fit to make it illegal to smoke it on public transport, in privately owned and run restaurants, hotels, open air cafe's, cinema's etc, yet it is still a legal substance, and the joke is now they want to legalise marijuana and most people smoke that. LOL....Now why can't they prohibit the use of guns the same way? They are doing it with alcohol as well...but gambling and smoking weed...go for it.
They do the same here, but they are state and local governments. Not the federal government. If the majority of the public disagreed with it, something could be done about it. Not so with the federal government.

I went into a restaurant in South Carolina on the way to Florida not too long ago. I was asked if I wanted a smoking or nonsmoking area.
I was taken back with surprise.
GoGoBar is a pedo

Thailand

#106457 May 3, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. The parent is responsible for that child's death.
Of course you would say that.
Do you give these gifts of kiddie guns to your relatives?
Or are you responsible.
popeye

Torrance, CA

#106458 May 3, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
The 2nd mend is not about hunting. The 2nd amend is about the right to bear arms!

The 2nd amend is not about why a person needs a gun. The 2nd amend is about the right to bear arms!

The 2nd amend is not about self defense. The 2nd amend is about the right to bear arms!

The 2nd amend is not about target shooting. The 2nd amend is about the right to bear arms!

The 2nd amend is not about gun collectors. The 2nd amend is about the right to bear arms!

That is the only reason the 2nd amend gives to bear arms. It is the right of the all American to bear arms.
GoGoBar is a pedo

Thailand

#106459 May 3, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
So Kiddie Specific Guns should not have additional safety locks?

You are the one lacking in reasonable design.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should they teach this in schools? Aug 14 okimar 3
News FPC Vows Legal Action on Approved California As... Aug 4 jimwildrickjr 1
News WVa AG: Manchin Should Resign Dem Leadership Role Aug 4 JohnInLa 3
News The NRA And The Worst Ad You May Ever See Jul 31 Red Crosse 185
History of the .233 Remington Jul 31 SummerBB8 1
News Heidi Harris: CCW's On The Rise Jul 29 Get Out 2
News Country singer Scotty McCreery cited for Jul 25 Been There Done That 4
More from around the web