It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103293 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

EuroBoy

San Jose, CA

#106419 May 2, 2013
and why the F*ck do my posts get deleted ???

Do I need to start flooding this thread 1000 times a day Moderator ?
Nope

Huntsville, AL

#106420 May 2, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What about Chairman Mao ?
he's one of yours: Extremist ideology over people. Violence over reason.
So you

Huntsville, AL

#106421 May 2, 2013
EuroBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
are in favor of manufacturing guns for 5-year olds?

GunShow1

“Shall NOT be infringed!”

Since: Apr 13

San Jose, CA.

#106422 May 2, 2013
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
"First Lady Rosalynn Carter also personally met with Jones on multiple occasions, corresponded with him about Cuba, and spoke with him at the grand opening of the San Francisco DEMOCRATIC Party Headquarters where Jones garnered louder applause than Mrs. Carter."

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#106423 May 2, 2013
So you wrote:
<quoted text>
are in favor of manufacturing guns for 5-year olds?
No, more like >you< have the intellect of a 5-year old.

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#106424 May 2, 2013
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
In September 1977, Willie Brown served as master of ceremonies at a large testimonial dinner for Jones attended by Governor Jerry Brown and Lieutenant Governor Mervyn Dymally and other political figures.[48] At that dinner, while introducing Jones, Willie Brown stated "Let me present to you what you should see every day when you look in the mirror in the early morning hours.... Let me present to you a combination of Martin King, Angela Davis, Albert Einstein... Chairman Mao."[49] Harvey Milk, who spoke at political rallies at the Temple,[50] wrote to Jones after a visit to the Temple: "Rev Jim, It may take me many a day to come back down from the high that I reach today. I found something dear today. I found a sense of being that makes up for all the hours and energy placed in a fight. I found what you wanted me to find. I shall be back. For I can never leave."
GoGoBar

Thailand

#106425 May 2, 2013
EuroBoy wrote:
and why the F*ck do my posts get deleted ???
Do I need to start flooding this thread 1000 times a day Moderator ?
Because you cant shout fire in a cinema?
Larry

Australia

#106426 May 2, 2013
EuroBoy wrote:
<quoted text>
YOu really are a moron !
The gun laws were very unpopular and drew lots of opposition, even in Howards own party, especially from Deputy PM John Anderson. Howard had to strong arm his policies in.
The state governments opposed the laws and he only got them to agree when he threatened to withold GST to the states that would not agree with him. So many people are against gun laws here that the shooters party was formed and has 2 seats in some states and recently threw a green out of its seat in the W.A. elections.

No, there was some opposotion, but most people supported the new laws.
Larry

Australia

#106427 May 2, 2013
No, I dont agree with all that, even people that didnt like the PM agree that he was doing the right thing.

He can hold his head up high for gun control, its no wonder he was voted the most popular of past PMs.
EuroBoy

Los Angeles, CA

#106428 May 3, 2013
Larry wrote:
No, I dont agree with all that, even people that didnt like the PM agree that he was doing the right thing.
He can hold his head up high for gun control, its no wonder he was voted the most popular of past PMs.
Howard has been voted the worst PM in Australian history.
There was never a vote on the gun laws, and when they have phone or internet polls they constantly agree that the gun laws were not popular and most people were against them.
free and armed

Australia

#106429 May 3, 2013
A robber walks into a bank with a machine gun, he shouts, "Everyone get down, NOW!" But in this society, people are allowed to carry guns in their own defense. So everyone else pulls out their guns, and they reply, "How about you get on the ground?"

If guns were to be banned, criminals would just switch to knives, baseball bats, deadly drugs, hit and runs with cars, gasoline and matches, and even their own hands. More people die from being strangled and stabbed than from gun shot wounds in America. Should we ban knives too?
The most common argument: guns don't kill people, people with guns do. Oh, and they're usually bad people. Background checks should be run on anyone who wants to buy one to make sure they aren't criminal, mentally ill or have a family with criminal history.
san jose sharks

San Jose, CA

#106430 May 3, 2013
People don't realize that guns will exist NO MATTER WHAT. Whether it's legal for civilians to buy them or not, they will ALWAYS exist, and criminals will ALWAYS find a way to get them. Crimes and murders will ALWAYS happen. By banning guns, you would be taking away a means of protection from legal and responsible gun owners. One thing liberals DON'T and will NEVER understand is that you CANNOT get rid of all guns. Anyone could go to the hardware store and make a makeshift gun out of pipe and go kill people with it. The problem isnt guns, its the people behind them. A gun is a few pieces of metal, it is inanimate.
san jose sharks

San Jose, CA

#106431 May 3, 2013
Do people who are looking to hurt someone with guns go to police stations? Gun shows? Gun shops? Places with armed guards? No, simply because they know that GOOD people with guns are going to stop them from hurting anyone. I am not saying give everyone guns. I am saying train people to handle guns safely. Guns are a tool. If used in an improper manner, they can hurt people. Example - a hammer is a tool, as well, and it has one purpose, to drive a nail into wood. When someone uses a hammer improperly, it can hurt someone. Guns are the same way. Without proper training, I or someone else could hurt many people, including myself. Guns are not the problem. People are the problem.
Tray

Etta, MS

#106432 May 3, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you cant shout fire in a cinema?
Yes he can yell fire in a cinema, especially if there is a fire. The same as calling you an idiot if you are one.
Tray

Etta, MS

#106433 May 3, 2013
Larry wrote:
So the rights even of a few are dependent on the opinion of the majority? That's how slavery started. A good government represents the majority while also protecting the minority. None of the guns in the government buy back were linked to criminal misuse. One person commits a horrific crime and everyone else is made defenseless for it. Crime did rise after the buy back so how do you explain even one person having to endure a violent action to make the rest "feel" better? Slavery was great because it allowed plantation production to soar thus betterment of society as a whole. The rights of the minority being infringed was still in the better good of the majority. But even the enslavement of just one innocent person, no matter the greater good of the many, does not make it right. Certain societies in history believed in sacrifice of innocent people to the gods for betterment of the whole. Yet here you are throwing the innocent to the "gods of make the majority feel better". Wrong is wrong no matter the opinion of the majority including you.
Larry

Australia

#106434 May 3, 2013
EuroBoy wrote:
<quoted text> Howard has been voted the worst PM in Australian history.
There was never a vote on the gun laws, and when they have phone or internet polls they constantly agree that the gun laws were not popular and most people were against them.

incorrect. John Howard is the seccond longest serving prime minister, you love relying on the first thing you come across when you perform a google search, so why dont you do that mate. A recent poll found that he was actually the most liked of past PMs, keating was somewhere down the bottom I recall, heres your homework mate, google it and show us all that poll, it was only a couple of months ago. You reccon you can do that for me mate?

The Australian people voted him in by a large margin in 1996 for a reason. The.reason was not because he was hated.
sid

Chermside, Australia

#106435 May 3, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> So the rights even of a few are dependent on the opinion of the majority? That's how slavery started. A good government represents the majority while also protecting the minority. None of the guns in the government buy back were linked to criminal misuse. One person commits a horrific crime and everyone else is made defenseless for it. Crime did rise after the buy back so how do you explain even one person having to endure a violent action to make the rest "feel" better? Slavery was great because it allowed plantation production to soar thus betterment of society as a whole. The rights of the minority being infringed was still in the better good of the majority. But even the enslavement of just one innocent person, no matter the greater good of the many, does not make it right. Certain societies in history believed in sacrifice of innocent people to the gods for betterment of the whole. Yet here you are throwing the innocent to the "gods of make the majority feel better". Wrong is wrong no matter the opinion of the majority including you.
Using your logic, if one person gets killed by a gun it's better to try and get rid of them rather than promote the use of them.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#106437 May 3, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you have them all...a veritable gun nutter....a gun for this a gun for that....I bet you don't have as many pairs of undies as you do your guns....
I'll take that wager Aho. I only bet on sure things.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#106438 May 3, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Gees do you sleep in a bed....I thought you would sleep in the trees your natural habitat.
Why yes. Yes I do.
You finally got something correct.
Damnation !
FYI

Denver, CO

#106439 May 3, 2013
" CLICK " it's coming! Regards

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The news media love America. The government, no... 12 hr Erl 63
LAX Ammo Photo Contest/Giveaway! Thu KTSullivan 2
Taurus Gaucho Revolver (May '06) Sep 16 Senb12 29
News Lawyer: 'Pharma Bro' joking about bounty for Cl... Sep 13 Jeff Brightone 2
News Ryan Blocking Concealed Carry Reciprocity, Cong... Sep 11 FormerParatrooper 1
News D.C. Requests Hearing on Protection of Second A... Sep 10 Lou Posey 3
News SCOTUS Asked to Review Ninth Circuit Decision o... Sep 9 FormerParatrooper 2
More from around the web