It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Larry

Australia

#106373 May 2, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text> you are full of BS because those suicide rates have went up in Australia and here comparing the United States V Australia side by side.
http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Australia...
Suicide rates in ages 15-24 (most recent) by country
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_sui_rat...
Suicide rates in ages 25-34 (most recent) by country
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_sui_rat...
the point is,our suicide rate has been quite high in the past. Not as high as Finland, but higher than the US. Since gun control, the rate dropped dramatically, especially in the age range that is likely to be able to own or access a gun.
All suicde is a tragedy, but the massive drop that has occurred in Australias rate happened in the year after gun control.
Larry

Australia

#106376 May 2, 2013
Just like the USA, Australia is a big place and some areas or regions have a much higher suicide rate than others.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#106377 May 2, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
People take up smoking every day
People take up crime every day
The cigarette causes lung cancer
The bullet causes a shooting death.
A person must fire that bullet and put the cigarette in his mouth.

People choose not to smoke and people choose not to own a gun. That's different from government force.

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#106378 May 2, 2013
Larry wrote:
Without the cigarette there is no lung cancer.
Without the gun there is no shooting deaths.
There will always be people who dont care for their health.
There will always be people who resort to crime.
"There will always be people who resort to crime."

So, enhance the sentences of criminals who commit crimes with a gun instead letting them plea bargain to a lesser crime.

No need to screw with people who committed no crimes.
Larry

Australia

#106382 May 2, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
So, enhance the sentences of criminals who commit crimes with a gun instead letting them plea bargain to a lesser crime.
No need to screw with people who committed no crimes.
The person who has owned a gun for ten years and never used it, but in an entirely sensible way is most people.

Now let me explain. That person suffers a relationship break up, they loose their job, suicide?

That person comes home to find his wife with another man, murder?

In both cases the gun has been used for most of the time in the right way.

What if a younger son gets the gun?

An angry spouse?

There is no risk free ownership of a gun.
Larry

Australia

#106383 May 2, 2013
Off topic, where is your best farmland in the US?
Larry

Australia

#106384 May 2, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
That wouldn't really work here. NJ really doesn't have a need for guns, therefor most people don't own one by choice. Someone living in the wilderness of Alaska would have a real need for a gun. A one size fits all law wouldn't work. The states have the ability to adjust to their own needs.
Most guns used in crimes in Chicago were straw purchased within the boundaries of the same state. Yet, Illinois doesn't address it with tougher state regulations. Why should someone who is abiding by the law in another state be punished for it?
http://www.suntimes.com/news/crime/14715658-4...
yeah I ll recognise that point, we dont have the bears, just venemous snakes and monster crocodiles, like I mean monsters.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#106385 May 2, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
FDR approved the development of the bomb. Another progressive used it. FDR's New Deal simply became Truman's fair Deal.
The sons of the founders fighting the new monarchy in Washington would be us.:-) Legally that is. It's difficult to overcome a partisan press though. Actually enforcing the laws we have now would be nice. State laws, that is.
Right Truman didn't know nothing about the Atomic Bomb until he became President after FDR's death which is how secretive it was.

Location hidden

#106386 May 2, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> the point is,our suicide rate has been quite high in the past. Not as high as Finland, but higher than the US. Since gun control, the rate dropped dramatically, especially in the age range that is likely to be able to own or access a gun.
All suicde is a tragedy, but the massive drop that has occurred in Australias rate happened in the year after gun control.
that makes sense what you are saying and I agree.
Becky

Yangzhou, China

#106387 May 2, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's called Stockholm syndrome, isn't it?
"Stockholm syndrome, or capture–bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness."
I believe one of your masters wants their boots spit shined. Run along now....
China, I'm living it. You're the one who's a prisoner- in your own mind. Bet like most US-ians you don't even have a passport.
Larry

Australia

#106388 May 2, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
People choose not to smoke and people choose not to own a gun. That's different from government force.
Well we made the choice for both a lot harder, and I dont think anyone living here would question the results. Fewer cases of lung cancer fewer shooting deaths.
Becky

Nanjing, China

#106389 May 2, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that why the USA has the highest incarceration rate in the world?
EuroBoy

Sweden

#106390 May 2, 2013
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
China, I'm living it. You're the one who's a prisoner- in your own mind. Bet like most US-ians you don't even have a passport.
Some people say you are actually sid using a proxy server.
Its strange because wherever he starts posting you show up not long after to back him up, like on this thread.

Location hidden

#106391 May 2, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> yeah I ll recognise that point, we dont have the bears, just venemous snakes and monster crocodiles, like I mean monsters.
I agree those salt water crocodiles get extremely large as in monster size which I seen a program here on the Satellite showing crocodile hunters in Australia hunting them in the outback and they were big ones they killed.
Becky

Yangzhou, China

#106394 May 2, 2013
EuroBoy wrote:
<quoted text>Some people say you are actually sid using a proxy server.
Its strange because wherever he starts posting you show up not long after to back him up, like on this thread.
So Sid and I agree on a lot of things. So what? Does nobody share your views on here- that must be because they are so ratshit.

Becky

Hangzhou, China

#106395 May 2, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
What about that 5 year old who killed his little sister with a gun that was propped up in a corner and nobody knew was loaded?
Larry

Australia

#106396 May 2, 2013
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
So Sid and I agree on a lot of things. So what? Does nobody share your views on here- that must be because they are so ratshit.
hahaha good call there Becky
Larry

Australia

#106397 May 2, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I agree those salt water crocodiles get extremely large as in monster size which I seen a program here on the Satellite showing crocodile hunters in Australia hunting them in the outback and they were big ones they killed.
oh yeah seven metres long some of em, up Darwin, there are legends of salties being nine metres long, but we dont always take so much notice of them up there, for one they drink too much, but it wouldnt surprise me if bigger ones were out there..

They need to stop shooting all the big ones, they are a tourist attraction.
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#106398 May 2, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>
Well we made the choice for both a lot harder, and I dont think anyone living here would question the results. Fewer cases of lung cancer fewer shooting deaths.
Did you make your own choice as a free individual?
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#106399 May 2, 2013
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that why the USA has the highest incarceration rate in the world?
I would attribute that to a unique under class we have here. I would say about 80% of the inmates grew up without a father and had sisters and brothers by different fathers.
Go Go posted something about the breakdown of the family unit causing much of the crime. I would agree with that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Packing pistols: Is Texas safer with more licen... (Jul '11) 2 hr payme 3
News Suspect in Louisiana theatre rampage had histor... Tue El Chapo 56
News Local Jews upset by Holocaust references in cam... (Jun '12) Jul 27 swedenforever 123
News Louisiana Moms, Aurora Theater Shooting Survivo... Jul 25 payme 2
News Why assault rifle sales are booming Jul 24 Here Is One 242
News Legal Loophole: Concealed carry law Jul 24 CGiven 2
News Treating Firearms Like We Do Cars? Yeaha Lets D... (Feb '12) Jul 22 Ed Hamilton 24
More from around the web