It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#106181 Apr 30, 2013
What's the matter fella's...where are you?

Glandore, Australia

#106182 May 1, 2013
hehehe

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#106183 May 1, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Ye,s it definately has lowered gun deaths....our record speaks for itself....
Screw you chicken sh!ts.

You don't have the balls to stand up for liberty so get down on your knees and pray.

The Australian National Anthem

GunShow1

“Shall NOT be infringed!”

Since: Apr 13

San Jose, CA.

#106184 May 1, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Well best you get off now then because the population will not get smaller nor will the problems that come with that like your piece of earth getting smaller and smaller...and there is not one damn thing that can be done about that...that is progress...people are living longer more and more babies are surviving, yep all thanks to progress and the more and more that do the less of an identity of self and identity you will have....any noong with a brain realises that, and must adapt and cope with what will inevitably come......there is no other option....unless someone drops a bomb somewhere contaminating atmosphere...Now are you ready to jump you only have a short space of time left here to yourself and it just got shorter.
"It declared that when the constitutional rights of Vermont were invaded it was the duty of Massachusetts and all other States to rally to the support of Vermont in sustaining her constitutional rights. "That State was then wrong. She was not only wrong but she was felo de se, as will yet be proved in the future. In this terrible war of ours, when the standard of rebellion was raised, when States like Maryland and Delaware and Kentucky stood upon their constitutional rights, it was our duty and our right to defend them, even by force of arms against the aggressions of the President and the Congress of the United States. It was the right and it was tbe duty of every State of every friend of reserved State rights, of every friend of constitutional liberty, of every friend of popular government to rally to the support of Delaware and Maryland and Kentucky and every other State whose rights were invaded aud trampled upon by the usurping United States Government. Sir when Seymour was Governor of New York he was at the of an imperium in imperio. He might have called in the aid of hundreds of thousands of armed freemen to stand up for the maintenance of the rights of the people of his State in their government and in their persons against the aggressions of the United States. It his duty and it ought to have been the last act of his life, if he perished in the act, to stood in their defense."--Senator Lot M. Morrill, Feb. 1st, 1872,[The Congressional Globe, Volume 66, Part 1 By United States. Congress,(Page 766).]

How many would come rushing to >your< aid?[Answer: NONE]

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#106185 May 1, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now dearie. Why don't you go lay down and try to sleep it off? You know you shouldn't be drinking while taking those medications! Remember what your psychiatrist said?

GunShow1

San Jose, CA.

#106186 May 1, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Utter nonsense. Truth does NOT need any "information" from humans to be truth.
Truth concerning the nature of the mammal known as man, is a constant.
Truth of what governs the laws of nature, of which mankind is ONLY a small part, remain constant whether there is man on this planet or not.
Man does not and did not write the laws of nature and never will.
You display your idiocy at every turn and post Aussie.
There never was a single law or group of laws written by men that stopped any type of crime.
I can write the following and say it is a law, which it is. "All life forms on this planet will die."
That is a natural law. Sure I wrote the words, but that certainly did NOT make it a law. Your fear of dying will not change that law either.
You unthinking fools think that I/we are scared and therefore feel a need to carry a gun. Speaking personally, I did not carry until AFTER I lost my fear of death and the beyond. The fear I carry, when I carry a firearm, is not for my own death Aho, it is a fear that I may one day have to kill another human because of their poor choices and untoward action against me.
The last time I had to stand down a death threat from a drunk, I shook in fear after it was over from the sheer realization that I came real close to killing someone, and would have, had he made any physical advance further than just getting his drunken spittle on my face while he was yelling he was going to kill me. The real scary part was how calm and deliberate I was during the event. He came REAL close to death that night, but he had no idea how close he came to it, nor how calm and collected and ready I was. He never noticed my defensive position nor why I chose it. He also did not know at the time that my loaded handgun was in my hand in my pocket.
The point? A lesser man would have shot the drunken bastard off their porch. The firearm in my hand was not used, nor was it brandished. I diffused the situation with words. I was lucky that time. So was he. He was not armed, he was drunk and angry, but I had him "dead to rights", as he was on MY porch screaming he was going to kill me. In THIS state, I could have shot him dead and been well within my right to do so ... under the circumstances and logistics at the time.
You know not of what you speak Aho.
Just found this one, and thought you might appreciate it:

"I should like to an amendment to this bill to the effect that quantity of arms say $1,000,000 worth or so should be given to these Indians...."

"...Now, I speak with the utmost in this matter. I know the value of an Indian's life. I know how sacred it has been with us, and how careful we have been to supply them with all arms of the best quality. I know that we have sought to give them Remington rifles and improved breech-loaders, and all the best guns we have invented, in order that we might the satisfaction of having a good square with them."--Rep. Robert Roosevelt, Jan. 30, 1872,[The Congressional Globe, Volume 66, Part 1 By United States. Congress,(Pg. 716-7)].
Becky

Nanjing, China

#106187 May 1, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Perspective you say?
Your claim is hollow, as it only reflects that there ARE many more folks around these days than ever before.
When one looks at the percentages of "criminals" in any current society, you will find that it has NOT changed for the better, one damn bit in "perspective" and relation to the societies of yore.
If you call the destruction of the identity of "self" and the individual, in favor of the collective, progress and "safe peaceful healthy prosperous lives", than let me off your wagon.
I pity your miserable existence. Scared of your own shadow, wallowing in self pity, almost enjoying the little cloud that hangs over you.

United States

#106188 May 1, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Are these all your guns?
410 ga shotgun
22 long rifle
12 ga shotgun
and one or more of the following
30-30
30-06
.300 mag
The .243 is fully capable of elk if your shot placement is good. but I would not recommend it for say moose or bison. For those you will need one of the .30 caliber weapons of your choice. I like the .308 myself for all big game.
...and you need all these guns in and around your home for protection, I am surprised you haven't got one in every colour.
No mention of the .303 British? Guess I'm getting old, they used to be quite common here and I've gotten many a deer with my now 96 year old SMLE No1 MKIII. A bit long and heavy but not so long ago you could find them for next to nothing.

United States

#106189 May 1, 2013
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
I pity your miserable existence. Scared of your own shadow, wallowing in self pity, almost enjoying the little cloud that hangs over you.
That sounds like a day in the life of progressive liberals. Scared to death of guns. Afraid of cigarettes, big sodas, pocket knives and candy. Even going so far in some places as to ban plastic toy guns.

Now who is afraid? Who is scared of their own shadows? Who finds safety only in number and laws - laws they won't enforce themselves but would ask others to enforce on their behalf?

United States

#106190 May 1, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>es passing concealed carry laws.
Actually your record shows that much like the UK, your gun ban did nothing. You never had a gun death rate to speak of anyway. It was always low and did in fact spike a bit after your ban. We all know you really banned guns as a knee-jerk reaction.

You also always avoid the fact that the US gun death rate has gone down dramatically during that same span with no bans at all and increased numbers of guns along with most states passing concealed carry laws.

Glandore, Australia

#106191 May 1, 2013
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>Screw you chicken sh!ts.
You don't have the balls to stand up for liberty so get down on your knees and pray.
The Australian National Anthem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =GeHZ5rJfnh4XX
You get down on your knees you wimps...we don't need guns or your idiotic mentality...and I wouldn't be stupid enough to buy into religion it is for the weak and confused....

Glandore, Australia

#106192 May 1, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
"It declared that when the constitutional rights of Vermont were invaded it was the duty of Massachusetts and all other States to rally to the support of Vermont in sustaining her constitutional rights. "That State was then wrong. She was not only wrong but she was felo de se, as will yet be proved in the future. In this terrible war of ours, when the standard of rebellion was raised, when States like Maryland and Delaware and Kentucky stood upon their constitutional rights, it was our duty and our right to defend them, even by force of arms against the aggressions of the President and the Congress of the United States. It was the right and it was tbe duty of every State of every friend of reserved State rights, of every friend of constitutional liberty, of every friend of popular government to rally to the support of Delaware and Maryland and Kentucky and every other State whose rights were invaded aud trampled upon by the usurping United States Government. Sir when Seymour was Governor of New York he was at the of an imperium in imperio. He might have called in the aid of hundreds of thousands of armed freemen to stand up for the maintenance of the rights of the people of his State in their government and in their persons against the aggressions of the United States. It his duty and it ought to have been the last act of his life, if he perished in the act, to stood in their defense."--Senator Lot M. Morrill, Feb. 1st, 1872,[The Congressional Globe, Volume 66, Part 1 By United States. Congress,(Page 766).]
How many would come rushing to >your< aid?[Answer: NONE]
You don't know much about the reputation of Aussies and their mate ship do you, we are legendary, ask anyone that has ever fought with us we always stand as one, always? Clueless yanks....shock horror.

Glandore, Australia

#106193 May 1, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now dearie. Why don't you go lay down and try to sleep it off? You know you shouldn't be drinking while taking those medications! Remember what your psychiatrist said?
Oh I don't drink either...don't believe in it...it is just another thing that addles the brain...as you would know.

United States

#106194 May 1, 2013
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>
But you aren't free. By your own admission you are in constant fear and danger of being attacked either by crims, crazies or by your own elected government (now that is crazy).
BTW most attacks are by someone known to the victim.
Myself, I live in the Appalachian Mtns, nearest police 45 minutes away BUT my biggest fear is rabies, not people. I have had a few close calls, and a gun has saved my life. Nothing crazy there, crazy is people who don't have to worry about things like that telling me I don't ever need a gun.

Crazy is some fool in one place telling people in a completely different place what they do and don't need.

Crazy is city folks telling country folks that they don't need guns, not even for food, and they should just call police who are 30 miles away if there ever is any trouble.

Some people just lack the intelligence to see that what might be best for them won't be best for everyone. Different situation, different location, life is not a 'one size fits all' type of thing.

Glandore, Australia

#106195 May 1, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
No mention of the .303 British? Guess I'm getting old, they used to be quite common here and I've gotten many a deer with my now 96 year old SMLE No1 MKIII. A bit long and heavy but not so long ago you could find them for next to nothing.
This wasn't for you so why did you feel the need to answer for AquariusWY....why is that troll, trying to make out he is not a gun loving lunatic?
GoGoBar

Thailand

#106196 May 1, 2013
LOL. Ahomana has driven the little weasel to his whits end completely. He will blow soon.

12,000 muders per year

221 Self defence homicide by firearm.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Glandore, Australia

#106197 May 1, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually your record shows that much like the UK, your gun ban did nothing. You never had a gun death rate to speak of anyway.

A: it was low compared to yours but then most of the civilized world is...but it was rising before the gun ban and after till now it has steadily declined...and no massacre's...coincidence I think now...but hey you dummies keep listening to the NRA propaganda and reading Scope and you will keep killing each other...cheers beetch...
It was always low and did in fact spike a bit after your ban. We all know you really banned guns as a knee-jerk reaction.
A: I don't call the concern of 35 dead and 23 wounded a knee jerk reaction you dumb arse fuckwit.
You also always avoid the fact that the US gun death rate has gone down dramatically during that same span with no bans at all and increased numbers of guns along with most states passing concealed carry laws.
A: Your dumb country is so poor after all your war mongering and paying of Afghan leaders and the Taliban to the detriment of your starving people, that most of your desperate citizens can't afford to keep their guns, let alone the bullets for one...yemoron.
Larry

Helensvale, Australia

#106198 May 1, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
LOL. Ahomana has driven the little weasel to his whits end completely. He will blow soon.
12,000 muders per year
221 Self defence homicide by firearm.
HAHAHAHAHA!
Yeah pretty hard to try and explain that stat. The guns are being used for the wrong reasons, even if you try and justify some self defense. The guns are the essence of the problem.

United States

#106199 May 1, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
This wasn't for you so why did you feel the need to answer for AquariusWY....why is that troll, trying to make out he is not a gun loving lunatic?
I answered it because I can. You don't want me to answer it then send him a private message instead :P
GoGoBar

Thailand

#106200 May 1, 2013
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788...

In Medical Triumph, Homicides Fall Despite Soaring Gun Violence

BALTIMOREĀ—The number of U.S. homicides has been falling for two decades, but America has become no less violent.

Crime experts who attribute the drop in killings to better policing or an aging population fail to square the image of a more tranquil nation with this statistic: The reported number of people treated for gunshot attacks from 2001 to 2011 has grown by nearly half

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Americans spent an estimated $17 billion on amm... 4 min Jim-ca 46
News 'How many more tragedies' asks mayor, after 11-... 12 hr payme 10
News Appeals court upholds MD assault weapons ban Mar 25 Marauder 204
News Official Heckler And Koch 22Lr Replica Rifles (Jan '10) Mar 25 Say What 6
News Another Second Amendment Appeal Shot-Down by th... Mar 25 Say What 3
News American Outdoor Brands Corp: Time to Move On? Mar 25 Say What 14
30-06 (7.62X63) vs .308 (7.62X51) (Feb '11) Mar 22 Sentry Watch 120
More from around the web