It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

blackiethecat

Buenos Aires, Argentina

#106161 Apr 30, 2013
Right. The inanimate guns randomly transform themselves into sentient and malevolent entities that go on killing sprees. There is no human interaction whatsoever, the guns load themselves and then teleport themselves to a location and then all by themselves the guns just start shooting people.

It makes me feel so much better knowing that humans are not involved in any of the gun related violence; only the guns themselves are responsible.

Before guns were invented there was no violence from arrows, spears, swords, clubs, axes, knives etc. Humanity was just one big happy family.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#106162 Apr 30, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think democrats are any different from republicans?
In reality they are not. Both are powerless against the special interest groups. However the Democrats do appear to be more interested in reviving the domestic economy.

Of course the biggest special interest group are the politicians themselves. They seem to operate on the principle of "Enlightened Self Interest of the Individual' more than anyone else.

The private Upperclass all band together like the unions used to and through sheer wealth force the agendas.

GunShow1

“Shall NOT be infringed!”

Since: Apr 13

San Jose, CA.

#106163 Apr 30, 2013
blackiethecat wrote:
Right. The inanimate guns randomly transform themselves into sentient and malevolent entities that go on killing sprees. There is no human interaction whatsoever, the guns load themselves and then teleport themselves to a location and then all by themselves the guns just start shooting people.
It makes me feel so much better knowing that humans are not involved in any of the gun related violence; only the guns themselves are responsible.
Before guns were invented there was no violence from arrows, spears, swords, clubs, axes, knives etc. Humanity was just one big happy family.
Hold on! Don't drink anymore of the kool-aid!

(Don't forget the boiling oil and catapults!)

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#106164 Apr 30, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Perspective you say?
Your claim is hollow, as it only reflects that there ARE many more folks around these days than ever before.
When one looks at the percentages of "criminals" in any current society, you will find that it has NOT changed for the better, one damn bit in "perspective" and relation to the societies of yore.
If you call the destruction of the identity of "self" and the individual, in favor of the collective, progress and "safe peaceful healthy prosperous lives", than let me off your wagon.
Well best you get off now then because the population will not get smaller nor will the problems that come with that like your piece of earth getting smaller and smaller...and there is not one damn thing that can be done about that...that is progress...people are living longer more and more babies are surviving, yep all thanks to progress and the more and more that do the less of an identity of self and identity you will have....any noong with a brain realises that, and must adapt and cope with what will inevitably come......there is no other option....unless someone drops a bomb somewhere contaminating atmosphere...Now are you ready to jump you only have a short space of time left here to yourself and it just got shorter.
AQ-WY

Riverton, WY

#106165 Apr 30, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
No, needing a gun to sort out these problems is propaganda...does a cat have a gun or a bear or a tiger or human mother...not they instinctively sense danger and remove her babies as far from it as she can, she doesn't keep them in harms way, most time she hides with them as will a bear and a tiger etc....they don't seek trouble when they have young ones they avoid it at all costs....ijit.
"they don't seek trouble when they have young ones they avoid it at all costs....ijit"
ROTFLMAO
a sow with cubs can and will kill a male grizz if need be. They do NOT "go out of their way to avoid trouble" ya half wit, they engage it wherever they wander into it, or it wanders into them. You believed what Walt Disney told you in the movies dear. Walt lied.

Glandore, Australia

#106166 Apr 30, 2013
AQ-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
"they don't seek trouble when they have young ones they avoid it at all costs....ijit"
ROTFLMAO
a sow with cubs can and will kill a male grizz if need be. They do NOT "go out of their way to avoid trouble" ya half wit, they engage it wherever they wander into it, or it wanders into them. You believed what Walt Disney told you in the movies dear. Walt lied.
This is a farmed sow right, so her piglets would be kept in gestation crates yeah?...In the wild a sow will hide her pigletts naturally from danger and avoid it at all costs...they all(pigs) have and incredible sense of smell and can remove their babies well before any threat arises..... And no one would say they wouldn't fight, just that their first options is always to keep them safe....so what do you do...put the bear behind the gate with the pigs and what kind of farmer are you not to do what most other farmers do and keep them in crates away from both the mother and threat? yemoron

Glandore, Australia

#106167 Apr 30, 2013
blackiethecat wrote:
You are from fairy land....even talking to yourself...lucky I happened to come by else you would be committed...oops too late....

Glandore, Australia

#106168 Apr 30, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Coming from someone in COMMUNIST CHINA? Home of THE MOST ENSLAVED PEOPLE on earth? Do your masters know you are online?
Get back to supervising the storeroom and stop repeating yourself...

Glandore, Australia

#106169 Apr 30, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
12-Year-Old Girl Shoots Intruder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =VPfz7ENFUB0XX&list=UU02JJ cAx3xXhXflFI_wgZ6g&index=2
Man shoots 26 kids and their teacher post that link ....oops the Sandy Hook gunman wins that one.. 27 to one....bummer.

Glandore, Australia

#106170 Apr 30, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Aye! Hat-tip to you, my fellow patriot.
You mean fellow hypocrite don't you....

Glandore, Australia

#106171 Apr 30, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hold on! Don't drink anymore of the kool-aid!
(Don't forget the boiling oil and catapults!)
Either of you!

Glandore, Australia

#106172 Apr 30, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell her to put THIS in her pipe and smoke it:
TheArmedCitizen
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArmedCitizen...
Get back to your favourite book you bible bashing burb, and try to take some of it in...like treating everyone as your brother...good start...hypocrites like you make me sick.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#106173 Apr 30, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>

truth needs all information not just your biased one sided bullshit.
Utter nonsense. Truth does NOT need any "information" from humans to be truth.
Truth concerning the nature of the mammal known as man, is a constant.
Truth of what governs the laws of nature, of which mankind is ONLY a small part, remain constant whether there is man on this planet or not.
Man does not and did not write the laws of nature and never will.

You display your idiocy at every turn and post Aussie.

There never was a single law or group of laws written by men that stopped any type of crime.
I can write the following and say it is a law, which it is. "All life forms on this planet will die."
That is a natural law. Sure I wrote the words, but that certainly did NOT make it a law. Your fear of dying will not change that law either.
You unthinking fools think that I/we are scared and therefore feel a need to carry a gun. Speaking personally, I did not carry until AFTER I lost my fear of death and the beyond. The fear I carry, when I carry a firearm, is not for my own death Aho, it is a fear that I may one day have to kill another human because of their poor choices and untoward action against me.
The last time I had to stand down a death threat from a drunk, I shook in fear after it was over from the sheer realization that I came real close to killing someone, and would have, had he made any physical advance further than just getting his drunken spittle on my face while he was yelling he was going to kill me. The real scary part was how calm and deliberate I was during the event. He came REAL close to death that night, but he had no idea how close he came to it, nor how calm and collected and ready I was. He never noticed my defensive position nor why I chose it. He also did not know at the time that my loaded handgun was in my hand in my pocket.
The point? A lesser man would have shot the drunken bastard off their porch. The firearm in my hand was not used, nor was it brandished. I diffused the situation with words. I was lucky that time. So was he. He was not armed, he was drunk and angry, but I had him "dead to rights", as he was on MY porch screaming he was going to kill me. In THIS state, I could have shot him dead and been well within my right to do so ... under the circumstances and logistics at the time.
You know not of what you speak Aho.

Glandore, Australia

#106174 Apr 30, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll be thinking differently when you are in chains, and we're still free.
Or all you Yankees have shot each other and the Canadians move in....that would be nice....Canadians are nice people....get dem guns out boy....we want the Canadians in America ...you know civilised people, like us...

Glandore, Australia

#106175 Apr 30, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Utter nonsense. Truth does NOT need any "information" from humans to be truth.
Truth concerning the nature of the mammal known as man, is a constant.
Truth of what governs the laws of nature, of which mankind is ONLY a small part, remain constant whether there is man on this planet or not.
Man does not and did not write the laws of nature and never will.
You display your idiocy at every turn and post Aussie.
There never was a single law or group of laws written by men that stopped any type of crime.
I can write the following and say it is a law, which it is. "All life forms on this planet will die."
That is a natural law. Sure I wrote the words, but that certainly did NOT make it a law. Your fear of dying will not change that law either.
You unthinking fools think that I/we are scared and therefore feel a need to carry a gun. Speaking personally, I did not carry until AFTER I lost my fear of death and the beyond. The fear I carry, when I carry a firearm, is not for my own death Aho, it is a fear that I may one day have to kill another human because of their poor choices and untoward action against me.
The last time I had to stand down a death threat from a drunk, I shook in fear after it was over from the sheer realization that I came real close to killing someone, and would have, had he made any physical advance further than just getting his drunken spittle on my face while he was yelling he was going to kill me. The real scary part was how calm and deliberate I was during the event. He came REAL close to death that night, but he had no idea how close he came to it, nor how calm and collected and ready I was. He never noticed my defensive position nor why I chose it. He also did not know at the time that my loaded handgun was in my hand in my pocket.
The point? A lesser man would have shot the drunken bastard off their porch. The firearm in my hand was not used, nor was it brandished. I diffused the situation with words. I was lucky that time. So was he. He was not armed, he was drunk and angry, but I had him "dead to rights", as he was on MY porch screaming he was going to kill me. In THIS state, I could have shot him dead and been well within my right to do so ... under the circumstances and logistics at the time.
You know not of what you speak Aho.
I am going to have a nap until you get a clue,cause you have been spewing the same bullshit over and over about nature and natural way of things since the beginning of this thread.you are boriiiiing....why don't you put your gun,clothes and home comforts away and go and live the natural way...lets see how long it is before you run back to your heater and oven and your gun.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#106176 Apr 30, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Or all you Yankees have shot each other and the Canadians move in....that would be nice....Canadians are nice people....get dem guns out boy....we want the Canadians in America ...you know civilised people, like us...
Increased gun control lead to increased gun violence in Australia

http://www.examiner.com/article/increased-gun...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#106177 Apr 30, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Do Gun Bans Reduce Violent Crime? Ask the Aussies and Brits

BY Glen Tschirgi

Nothing original to add here, but this posting I picked up from Instapundit is well worth passing along, particularly in light of the typical, knee-jerk, Statist reactions to the horrific Aurora CO shootings:

Actually, if the Australian Bureau of Criminology can be believed, Americans would be insane to concern themselves with what non-Americans think about American gun rights.

In 2002 — five years after enacting its gun ban — the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia’s Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:

In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
Sexual assault — Australia’s equivalent term for rape — increased 29.9 percent.
Overall, Australia’s violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

Moreover, Australia and the United States — where no gun-ban exists — both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:

Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America’s rate dropped 31.7 percent.
During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.

So, if the USA follows Australia’s lead in banning guns, it should expect a 42 percent increase in violent crime, a higher percentage of murders committed with a gun, and three times more rape. One wonders if Freddy even bothered to look up the relative crime statistics.

The International Crime Victims Survey, conducted by Leiden University in Holland, found that England and Wales ranked second overall in violent crime among industrialized nations. Twenty-six percent of English citizens — roughly one-quarter of the population — have been victimized by violent crime. Australia led the list with more than 30 percent of its population victimized. The United States didn’t even make the “top 10&#8243; list of industrialized nations whose citizens were victimized by crime.

Now all this statistical and factual information isn’t going to mean anything to Lefty’s and Statists, but it is always good to know that reality backs up the conservative position on gun rights and the 2nd Amendment.

http://www.captainsjournal.com/2012/07/23/do-...

Glandore, Australia

#106178 Apr 30, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullsh!t!
I live with the grizzly and the catamount every day.
It is YOUR claim that one "needs" a gun to sort out problems.
I said no such thing. I said I have the natural born inherent right to defend myself as I see fit when being put upon by another. In upwards of a couple MILLION cases a year in this country, no gun is discharged. The mere presence of it and it being known it is present to the other person, is enough to stop the assailant from proceeding.
How do I know this? I have done this.
<smile>
Are these all your guns?

410 ga shotgun
22 long rifle
12 ga shotgun
and one or more of the following
30-30
30-06
.300 mag

The .243 is fully capable of elk if your shot placement is good. but I would not recommend it for say moose or bison. For those you will need one of the .30 caliber weapons of your choice. I like the .308 myself for all big game.

...and you need all these guns in and around your home for protection, I am surprised you haven't got one in every colour.

Glandore, Australia

#106179 Apr 30, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Do Gun Bans Reduce Violent Crime? Ask the Aussies and Brits
BY Glen Tschirgi
Nothing original to add here, but this posting I picked up from Instapundit is well worth passing along, particularly in light of the typical, knee-jerk, Statist reactions to the horrific Aurora CO shootings:
Actually, if the Australian Bureau of Criminology can be believed, Americans would be insane to concern themselves with what non-Americans think about American gun rights.
In 2002 — five years after enacting its gun ban — the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.
Even Australia’s Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:
Moreover, Australia and the United States — where no gun-ban exists — both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:
Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America’s rate dropped 31.7 percent.
During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
So, if the USA follows Australia’s lead in banning guns, it should expect a 42 percent increase in violent crime, a higher percentage of murders committed with a gun, and three times more rape. One wonders if Freddy even bothered to look up the relative crime statistics.
The International Crime Victims Survey, conducted by Leiden University in Holland, found that England and Wales ranked second overall in violent crime among industrialized nations. Twenty-six percent of English citizens — roughly one-quarter of the population — have been victimized by violent crime. Australia led the list with more than 30 percent of its population victimized. The United States didn’t even make the “top 10&#8243; list of industrialized nations whose citizens were victimized by crime.
Now all this statistical and factual information isn’t going to mean anything to Lefty’s and Statists, but it is always good to know that reality backs up the conservative position on gun rights and the 2nd Amendment.
Ye,s it definately has lowered gun deaths....our record speaks for itself....

Glandore, Australia

#106180 Apr 30, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Do Gun Bans Reduce Violent Crime? Ask the Aussies and Brits
BY Glen Tschirgi
What a load of unadulterated bullshit....stop taking notice of Scopes else you will go blind...there are so many lies in here I don't know where to begin so I will post to the first load of shite...and then people with a inquiring brain can source the rest of you lies for themselves...the lie you state about "more gun(murders highest it's ever been in Australia in 2006 ..five years AFTER the gun ban" Our gun deaths all show a steady decline of gun related deaths by either homicide and suicide since gun control was introduced..

http://sydney.edu.au/news/84.html...

http://au.businessinsider.com/canada-australi...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Officials have duty to Nevadans to make backgro... 11 hr duzitreallymatter 2
News CCW Weekend: The Enduring Concealed Carry Revolver Sun jimwildrickjr 1
News Washington attorney general proposes assault we... Jan 13 justice 2
News Extend background checks to save lives Jan 9 duzitreallymatter 3
Our own worst enemy Jan 7 justice 3
News GOP Rep Introduces National Concealed Carry Rec... Jan 7 jimwildrickjr 9
News Ohio: Kasich Signs Critical Self-Defense Bill I... Jan 6 jimwildrickjr 3
More from around the web