It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 Full story: Truthdig 103,359

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Full Story
AnnAgain

Oakland, CA

#106089 Apr 30, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
"The Founding Fathers Lament"
Who put the Glock in every house?
You did, baby - you did
Who put your granny in the entitlement?
You did, baby - you did, baby
Who put the gunnuts in the jailhouse?
You did, baby - you did
Who blew American Sipers head off?
Keep your eye on things while I'm gone
Keep a lid on things
Don't you try everything while I'm gone
Keep a lid on things
Who put the Joker in the moviehouse?
You did, baby - you did
Who put your debt in the shitehouse?
Who put the boys in the ganghouse?
You did, baby - you did
Who put your daughters in the crackhouse?
Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things
Who put the guns in the schoolhouse?
You did, baby - you did
Who put the Slave in the White House?
Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things
Keep a lid on things
Huh?
sid

Brisbane, Australia

#106090 Apr 30, 2013
The Quote

The report was posted on Dec. 5, 2005. According to author, Doug Thompson, unnamed Republican leaders complained to Bush during a White House meeting about "onerous" portions of the USA Patriot Act, prompting the following:

Capitol Hill Blue:“I don’t give a goddamn,” Bush retorted.“I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.”

“Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said.“There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back.“It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

The Evidence

There’s no record of Bush ever using these words in public and no other news organization has reported him using them privately. Thompson based his report on three sources whom he didn’t name. He gave the date of the quote as "last month," which would put it sometime in November 2005.
AnnAgain

Oakland, CA

#106091 Apr 30, 2013
sid wrote:
The Quote
The report was posted on Dec. 5, 2005. According to author, Doug Thompson, unnamed Republican leaders complained to Bush during a White House meeting about "onerous" portions of the USA Patriot Act, prompting the following:
Capitol Hill Blue:“I don’t give a goddamn,” Bush retorted.“I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.”
“Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said.“There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”
“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back.“It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”
The Evidence
There’s no record of Bush ever using these words in public and no other news organization has reported him using them privately. Thompson based his report on three sources whom he didn’t name. He gave the date of the quote as "last month," which would put it sometime in November 2005.
That may be very admirable (or not) but we still are a Land of Law not of Men!
FYI

Arvada, CO

#106092 Apr 30, 2013
Teaman wrote:
Turn in your guns, the government will take care of you.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/29/17...
THAT"S WHAT I'M AFRAID OF" will not turn mine in period!! Regards

“Shall NOT be infringed!”

Since: Apr 13

San Jose, CA.

#106093 Apr 30, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
You love that perverse, political grandstanding don't you ...
I guess about as much as you enjoy living and promoting deception.

I didn't realize that the TRUTH was "perverse" or "grandstanding". But, I guess that's the case in the typical LIE-beral mind.

San Jose, CA.

#106094 Apr 30, 2013
Teaman wrote:
Turn in your guns, the government will take care of you.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/29/17...
Think I'll pass! ;)
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#106095 Apr 30, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Think I'll pass! ;)
It's for your own protection. That's what they told the Japanese Americans.:-)

San Jose, CA.

#106096 Apr 30, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
It's for your own protection. That's what they told the Japanese Americans.:-)
Yeah, our government sure has a history of abiding by agreements, doesn't it?
spocko

Oakland, CA

#106097 Apr 30, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess about as much as you enjoy living and promoting deception.
I didn't realize that the TRUTH was "perverse" or "grandstanding". But, I guess that's the case in the typical LIE-beral mind.
The truth? Conservatives agree only on one thing: They are right and the rest of the world is wrong! Being prudent, frugal, religious, moderate and "All-American" is not what makes a political conservative – not by a long shot.

San Jose, CA.

#106098 Apr 30, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth?
Yup! THE TRUTH -

Circuit court of the United States fifth circuit and district of Louisiana.
The United States
vs.
William J Cruikshank et al.

Charge of Hon WB Woods, circuit judge, delivered to the petit jury in the Grant Parish massacre case, referred to in the testimony of Mr Beckwith.

THE GRANT PARISH PRISONERS TRIAL--IN THE UNITED STATES CIRCUIT COURT--JUDGE
WOODS'S CHARGE--WAITING FOR THE VERDICT

...JR Beckwith, United States attorney, for the prosecution.
RH Marr w.R. Whittaker, E.J. Ellis, M. Ryan and-- Bryan, for the defense.

The United States vs William J. Cruikshank and others--Judge Woods,[later associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court (1880–87)], charged the jury as follows:

"...The second count charges a banding together of the indicted parties with the intent to injure, oppress, threaten, and intimidate Nelson and Tillman, with the purpose to hinder and prevent them in the free exercise and enjoyment of their constitutional right to bear arms for a lawful purpose..."

"The right to bear arms is also a right protected by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Every citizen of the United States has the right to bear arms, provided it is done for a lawful purpose and in a lawful manner. A man who carries his arms openly, and for his own protection, or for any other lawful purpose, has as clear a right to do so as to carry his own watch or wear his own hat."
http://gunshowonthenet.blogspot.com/2013/04/t...
spocko

Oakland, CA

#106100 Apr 30, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>

"The right to bear arms is also a right protected by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Every citizen of the United States has the right to bear arms, provided it is done for a lawful purpose and in a lawful manner. A man who carries his arms openly, and for his own protection, or for any other lawful purpose, has as clear a right to do so as to carry his own watch or wear his own hat."
http://gunshowonthenet.blogspot.com/2013/04/t...
Are you suggesting to wear a gun on your head? You go girl ...

Since: Oct 12

Albany, GA

#106102 Apr 30, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>Are you suggesting to wear a gun on your head? You go girl ...
We carry open in our state and I don't see Wild West shoot outs. I want law abiding ppl carrying. keeps the wolves at bay

San Jose, CA.

#106103 Apr 30, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you suggesting to wear a gun on your head? You go girl ...
You are obviously to dense to understand the significance of my prior post. It PROVES beyond ALL shadow of doubt that the United States Supreme Court CONSPIRED against We The People;s right to keep and bear arms. It NULLIFIES >ALL< of their Constitutionally PERVERSE rulings on the 2nd Amendment. And DESTROYS all chances of further 'gun control'.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#106104 Apr 30, 2013
GunShow1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, our government sure has a history of abiding by agreements, doesn't it?
Actually, they DO abide by portions of their agreements.

"They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it."
Red Cloud
Chief of Ogalla Lakota Sioux

Location hidden

#106105 Apr 30, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth? Conservatives agree only on one thing: They are right and the rest of the world is wrong! Being prudent, frugal, religious, moderate and "All-American" is not what makes a political conservative – not by a long shot.
To what or to whom does a "true American" hold allegience?

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#106106 Apr 30, 2013
The Raging Hardon wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument continues to be null.
The fact that one or another object is obtained for the purposes of causing harm, cannot in any logical way be said to be connected to the object itself.
You simply cannot blame an object for the ill use which it was employed, anymore than you might blame water for drowning, alcoholic beverages for drunkenness, or writing utensils for written threats.
"Do not suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying the object which is abused. Men can go wrong with wine and women. Shall we prohibit and abolish women? The sun, moon, and stars have been worshipped. Shall we pluck them out of the sky."
Martin Luther
If that is your argument what are you doing to reduce the rate of crime by shooting in your country....just owning a gun won't do it because guns are an object....No...to prevent more crime you abolish men, that would clearly lower the crime rate if you are serious that would cut your crime rate by a decent 90% or more....what say you?

Location hidden

#106107 Apr 30, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
If that is your argument what are you doing to reduce the rate of crime by shooting in your country....just owning a gun won't do it because guns are an object....No...to prevent more crime you abolish men, that would clearly lower the crime rate if you are serious that would cut your crime rate by a decent 90% or more....what say you?
I say there's your nagging hatred for all humans male; rearing it's ugly head again..

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#106108 Apr 30, 2013
AnnAgain wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be very admirable (or not) but we still are a Land of Law not of Men!
LOL...Is that right....who makes the laws?

San Jose, CA.

#106109 Apr 30, 2013
Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, they DO abide by portions of their agreements.
"They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it."
Red Cloud
Chief of Ogalla Lakota Sioux
Sad, but true. Don't worry, they shall ultimately pay for their treachery. Everyone will.

San Jose, CA.

#106110 Apr 30, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
MEANINGLESS, in the face of:

"The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall NOT be infringed".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama to ban AR-15 bullets 3 hr Tory II 2
Concealed weapons law costing Idaho colleges $3... 15 hr Quisnos Republic 26
Kahr PM40 problems (Apr '06) Wed BFMJAM63 188
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) Wed CTM 12,176
Wisconsin CCW permit Homicide rate lower than J... Feb 22 Tory II 1
CCRKBA makes it official, backs CCW reciprocity... Feb 22 Tory II 1
Joe The Plumber Stands By Shocking Holocaust Ch... (Jun '12) Feb 18 swedenforever 6
More from around the web