It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Larry

Australia

#105680 Apr 27, 2013
I read a little about standard of living rankings, and Australia came second only to Norway a few years back, so we are doing some things right. yes we provide disability allowances and unemployment allowances etc, but I view that as a good thing. We have quite a low unemployment rate anyway, most people do the right thing and the systems work. I appreciate that you.are proud of your country Tray, but other countries can do things differently, even the US and Canada do some things differently, you like your guns and your entitled to that opinion, but I m here on the Australian forum giving my opinion and the opi.ion of many Aussies, because it is an issue that our country has dealt with successfully. The way I see it Anglo countries and people benifit from sticking together and learning from one another.. A lot of people in Australia value the environment, safety, standards of living, things like that, we are not the backward people you make out. We just see an opportunity to give advice to a country and people that we have strong ties with. Surely there must be some people in your country that want change to gun laws..
spocko

Oakland, CA

#105681 Apr 27, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> The U.S has such great impact on the rest of the world because we are the most powerful superpower the world has ever known. We must be doing something right to achieve this. Facts over ride opinion.
The USA has been acknowledged as the most powerful nation on Earth since the end of World War II. It has been lauded and, to a degree, rightly so, as having provided greater life and happiness for many people throughout the world. But there is another side most U.S. Americans donít hear about so much, and that those with a letís-always-be-positive, feel-good mentality tend to ignore or deny. As with other supremely powerful nations in previous times, the USA has used its power to cause tremendous suffering and death. We are generally not taught this in school nor informed about it in the corporate media, though it is abundantly documented.
The USA is responsible for systematic suffering throughout the world, as a result of its dominant position and wide-ranging counterrevolutionary efforts, has been the most important single instigator, administrator, and moral and material sustainer of serious bloodbaths in the years that followed World War II. It has been estimated that US in its zeal to putting its stamp on world, is guilty for the deaths of as many as 30 Million human beings. Not mention the Billions of sea creatures when it tested its nuclear bombs in the bikini islands.
Larry

Australia

#105682 Apr 27, 2013
MalbarCACA Controllers wrote:
<quoted text>
How's the Crackdown announced going, Larry?
BTW - why have you stopped posting from Chatswood?
lol not in Chatswood anymore.. I was in newtown watching the commody show cracker night. Best laugh in ages..
dangerous zone

Mclean, VA

#105683 Apr 27, 2013
you australian lot a fools criminal can attack someone with more confidence if they know he's not armed so can the government period

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#105684 Apr 27, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
The USA has been acknowledged as the most powerful nation on Earth since the end of World War II. It has been lauded and, to a degree, rightly so, as having provided greater life and happiness for many people throughout the world. But there is another side most U.S. Americans donít hear about so much, and that those with a letís-always-be-positive, feel-good mentality tend to ignore or deny. As with other supremely powerful nations in previous times, the USA has used its power to cause tremendous suffering and death. We are generally not taught this in school nor informed about it in the corporate media, though it is abundantly documented.
The USA is responsible for systematic suffering throughout the world, as a result of its dominant position and wide-ranging counterrevolutionary efforts, has been the most important single instigator, administrator, and moral and material sustainer of serious bloodbaths in the years that followed World War II. It has been estimated that US in its zeal to putting its stamp on world, is guilty for the deaths of as many as 30 Million human beings. Not mention the Billions of sea creatures when it tested its nuclear bombs in the bikini islands.
You're right. Big mistake. We should've tested them in California. Preferably right next door to you.
dangerous zone

Mclean, VA

#105685 Apr 27, 2013
Australia is Concealed Colony and as a result the Australian governments at all levels is declared invalid under international law
Larry

Australia

#105686 Apr 27, 2013
I m of the opinion that the USA has used its position well for the most part, and its people can be proud. Australia is not perfect either, but its about improvement and in this discussion the room for improvement is in reducing mass shootings and gun crime.
Larry

Australia

#105687 Apr 27, 2013
dangerous zone wrote:
you australian lot a fools criminal can attack someone with more confidence if they know he's not armed so can the government period
the goverment? Ok .. Yep time for sleep
MalbarCACA Controllers

UK

#105688 Apr 27, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> lol not in Chatswood anymore.. I was in newtown watching the commody show cracker night. Best laugh in ages..
Sure.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Melbourne, Australia

#105689 Apr 27, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> the goverment? Ok .. Yep time for sleep
"MalbarCACA Controllers" is convinced that you are me. He thinks he's Sherlock Holmes on the scent of some momentous breakthrough because at present my geo-location is "Chatswood, Australia". He's gearing up to harass you about that, like he has been badgering me about it on another thread.
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/TF...

That is the way he operates and 'endears' himself to everyone.:)
MalbarCACA Controllers

UK

#105690 Apr 27, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
"MalbarCACA Controllers" is convinced that you are me. He thinks he's Sherlock Holmes on the scent of some momentous breakthrough because at present my geo-location is "Chatswood, Australia". He's gearing up to harass you about that, like he has been badgering me about it on another thread.
That is the way he operates and 'endears' himself to everyone.:)
Hey what's up, did you not say in another thread "And I've lost interest, like I said I would."?

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Melbourne, Australia

#105691 Apr 27, 2013
MalbarCACA Controllers wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey what's up, did you not say in another thread "And I've lost interest, like I said I would."?
Yes I did. But then I stumbled on this by chance.

Just isn't your lucky day is it, beady.

http://tinyurl.com/ctdmf8w
spocko

Oakland, CA

#105692 Apr 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. Big mistake. We should've tested them in California. Preferably right next door to you.
Must have hit a nerve eh moron?!

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#105693 Apr 27, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
We were certainly right in getting rid of Saddam. And we were certainly right in invading Afghanistan and toppling the Taliban.

Since: Oct 12

Moultrie, GA

#105694 Apr 27, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>the goverment? Ok .. Yep time for sleep
you do realise that almost everywhere there have been American solders the Austrian solders were with them?

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#105695 Apr 27, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It's just that I've been to California. I went to California for the very first time in my life this past March 28th. I wound up in some hellhole called Winterhaven. Stayed about 10 minutes. Looked around at California, then left. That was enough of California for me.

I'll NEVER go back to California !
LOL

Blacktown, Australia

#105696 Apr 27, 2013
If every american shot each other the world would benefit. Less americans = less carbon dioxide.
LOL

Blacktown, Australia

#105697 Apr 27, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
No I have been lucky enough to have had people around me that have come to my aid...it was a car accident a person clipped the back end of my car and it rolled and withing what seemed like a lifetime but was only a few minutes I had people coming from everywhere, it was like Kings Cross on a Saturday night...and I greatly admired their aid ...so thankful that I in turn felt the need to join a service that helped others and I only retired from it fully last year...it is a great feeling to aid others in need of help and sometimes even have the want to save a life rather than worry about someone pinching my stuff or taking my life, so that I want to get a gun and shoot them....life is too short to think that small....
People coming on you at Kings Cross, are you a prostitute?
Just a thought

Oakland, CA

#105698 Apr 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
We were certainly right in getting rid of Saddam. And we were certainly right in invading Afghanistan and toppling the Taliban.
Getting rid of Saddam at a cost of over 1 Million dead, wounded, maimed and/or displaced human beings - you are one twisted rightwingnuz ... oh did I mention the Trillions in cost to the taxpayer?
spocko

Oakland, CA

#105699 Apr 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It's just that I've been to California. I went to California for the very first time in my life this past March 28th. I wound up in some hellhole called Winterhaven. Stayed about 10 minutes. Looked around at California, then left. That was enough of California for me.
I'll NEVER go back to California !
Perfect, we have a saying here: welcome to California now go home!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
stewardess dies from Ebola 2 hr ebola 1
Sign petition to NOT extradite Dr Palmer (Dentist) 11 hr Here Is One 2
News The new Wild West: Sacramento's sheriff issues ... Jul 31 RayOne 1
News Packing pistols: Is Texas safer with more licen... (Jul '11) Jul 30 Public farts 6
News Suspect in Louisiana theatre rampage had histor... Jul 28 El Chapo 56
News Local Jews upset by Holocaust references in cam... (Jun '12) Jul 27 swedenforever 123
News Louisiana Moms, Aurora Theater Shooting Survivo... Jul 25 payme 2
More from around the web