It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103292 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#105729 Apr 27, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
No. in 1950 the MV fatalitiy rate was double.
But research and regulations have halved that figure today.
Most consuner products have followed the same trend.
Look at tobacco rates.
Food is still a problem though. Cheap Corporate guns-sorry I meant food.
that was my point for years more people have died because of cars than guns and its been that way for years but you never heard anyone wanting to ban & outlaw cars like they want to do with guns.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#105730 Apr 27, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>that was my point for years more people have died because of cars than guns and its been that way for years but you never heard anyone wanting to ban & outlaw cars like they want to do with guns.
Yes , with cars they ENFORCED regulations and penalties for speed(rapid fire semi automatics), seat belts(trigger locks) madatory driver training and liscencing, speed humps(gun free zones) etc etc.

There are many things that could be done to infringe the firearm fatalities without taking any rights.

But...Corporate profits + Symbolic rights = profits.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#105731 Apr 27, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
I have to say that the US has been doing a sterling job on their foreign policy in general. Good old Obama.
But these severe sanctions against North Korea and Iran are beginning to border on criminal.
Both countries are facing malnutrition cisis and may hace to issue food stamps soon.
They shouldn't be spending all of their resources on building a bomb.

Why do they need a bomb?
AdriannaRain

Mesa, AZ

#105732 Apr 27, 2013
Well, number 1, your discussions will be changed about guns, amend plummet to, "OMGOSH OBAMA TOOK OUR GUNS AWAY!" Well, stealing our rights from our noses is NOT okay in my world!!!!!
GoGoBar

Thailand

#105734 Apr 27, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
They shouldn't be spending all of their resources on building a bomb.
Why do they need a bomb?
To safeguard their sovereignty.
Any bomb, anywhere anytime.

Perhaps they have neighbours who hate them and they have been to war with.
They must be very brave citizens not to want to be dominated.
Pretty good motivation for a deterrent.
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#105735 Apr 27, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes , with cars they ENFORCED regulations and penalties for speed(rapid fire semi automatics), seat belts(trigger locks) madatory driver training and liscencing, speed humps(gun free zones) etc etc.
There are many things that could be done to infringe the firearm fatalities without taking any rights.
But...Corporate profits + Symbolic rights = profits.
YOU are so FULL OF SHIT, that YOU STINK!

That matter of INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with corporate profits.

YOU would employ as FACADE, a completely DISTORTED, and TOTALLY PERVERTED THEOLOGY in order to STRIP everyone of his RIGHTS in order to ANNIHILATE ALL, in THE NAME of YOUR RELIGION: ZIONAZI BULLSHIT!
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#105737 Apr 27, 2013
GoGoBar wrote:
<quoted text>
To safeguard their sovereignty.
Any bomb, anywhere anytime.
Perhaps they have neighbours who hate them and they have been to war with.
They must be very brave citizens not to want to be dominated.
Pretty good motivation for a deterrent.
Sooo, what was the problem with the American public owning guns again?

Brave citizens not to want to be dominated. Pretty good motivation for a deterrent. Safeguard their sovereignty. There ya go, folks. Right from Go Go Bar's mouth.
GoGoBar

Thailand

#105738 Apr 27, 2013
Sir Bucking Fastard wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU are so FULL OF SHIT, that YOU STINK!
That matter of INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with corporate profits.
YOU would employ as FACADE, a completely DISTORTED, and TOTALLY PERVERTED THEOLOGY in order to STRIP everyone of his RIGHTS in order to ANNIHILATE ALL, in THE NAME of YOUR RELIGION: ZIONAZI BULLSHIT!
Oh dear, it is the fabulously wealthy Sir Hide His Arse come to shout like a FRUSTRATED CONTROL FREAK from his castle in the UK>

LOL.

He just cant tell us what RIGHTS we are all missing out on.

Apart from the Patriot and Public Safety Acts.

And maybee we arent allowed to have a Nanny State issue Food Stamps instead of a free choice payment.
Larry

Australia

#105739 Apr 27, 2013
free republic wrote:
<quoted text>Let's outlaw cars or gasoline or make it illegal to drive a car. Better yet, if you really want to keep people from death, stop the single greatest cause of death ...birth.
thats a ridiculous notion, a car is used for transportation, a gun is used to kill. Car accidents happen, but you dont go out and buy a car and go on an "accident spree"

Thats the equivalent of saying we will ban coca cola and take away because it causes obesity and heart attacks.

A gun is designed to kill, that is its sole purpose. Most people driving do the right thing, and we punish those who dont. Work place accidents occur also, but just like driving, its sole purpose is not to kill or threaten to kill.

I am against all weapons designed to kill, a police officer is the only person who should have a gun in my opinion.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#105740 Apr 27, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> thats a ridiculous notion, a car is used for transportation,.........
Brief off-topic but it involves you. Just a heads up.:)

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/TC...
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#105741 Apr 27, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> thats a ridiculous notion, a car is used for transportation, a gun is used to kill. Car accidents happen, but you dont go out and buy a car and go on an "accident spree"
Thats the equivalent of saying we will ban coca cola and take away because it causes obesity and heart attacks.
A gun is designed to kill, that is its sole purpose. Most people driving do the right thing, and we punish those who dont. Work place accidents occur also, but just like driving, its sole purpose is not to kill or threaten to kill.
I am against all weapons designed to kill, a police officer is the only person who should have a gun in my opinion.
A gun is used to protect. It depends on your perspective.

Have you heard of Mayor Bloomberg of New York? He is trying to end the biggest killer of our time, natural causes.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#105742 Apr 27, 2013
AdriannaRain wrote:
Well, number 1, your discussions will be changed about guns, amend plummet to, "OMGOSH OBAMA TOOK OUR GUNS AWAY!" Well, stealing our rights from our noses is NOT okay in my world!!!!!
I agree.

from my cold dead hands.....

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#105743 Apr 27, 2013
And it's WORTH remembering, that contrary to what many Americans, and non-Americans, mistakenly believe, the RIGHT to bear arms was written into the U.S. Constitution, by the SECOND AMENDMENT, NOT to give people the ability to protect themselves against criminals, but rather to give citizens the RIGHT, and the ABILITY, to protect themselves FROM THE GOVERNMENT ! i.e. the ability to SHOOT AND KILL agents of the federal government !(later extended to the ability to shoot and kill agents of the state governments too).
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#105744 Apr 27, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> thats a ridiculous notion, a car is used for transportation, a gun is used to kill.
WRONG ANSWER!

A gun is used ...

A car is used ...

A knife is used ...

Whatever tool is used ...

And airplane is used ...

A HUMAN MIND IS USED ...

YOUR REMARK IS therefore without validity!

Oh, and by the way: WHAT has NOT been used throughout human history to cause death?

Are YOU ready to OUTLAW YOURSELF??!!?!?!?!

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#105745 Apr 27, 2013
It's NOT "the Guns, Stupid".

IT'S THE SUICIDE BOMBS AND HOMICIDE BOMBS DETONATED BY MUSLIM JIHADISTS, WHO FOLLOW THE SO-CALLED "RELIGION OF PEACE" !
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#105746 Apr 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
And it's WORTH remembering, that contrary to what many Americans, and non-Americans, mistakenly believe, the RIGHT to bear arms was written into the U.S. Constitution, by the SECOND AMENDMENT, NOT to give people the ability to protect themselves against criminals, but rather to give citizens the RIGHT, and the ABILITY, to protect themselves FROM THE GOVERNMENT ! i.e. the ability to SHOOT AND KILL agents of the federal government !(later extended to the ability to shoot and kill agents of the state governments too).
One SMALL correction, my dear: NEITHER the U.S. Constitution, NOR the Bill of Rights,'gave' anything to anyone.

Rather, the Bill of Rights was a RECOGNITION of WHAT was ALREADY KNOWN by the colonists.

YOUR Constitution gives NOT—A —THING to you.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PUH-LEASE: KEEP THAT in mind, FOR EVER!

YOUR Constitution serves SOLELY as a CONSTRAINT upon YOUR federal, AND state governments.

It is UP TO YOU to ENFORCE its provisions.

Are YOU up to that task?

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#105747 Apr 27, 2013
"Gentlemen may cry, "Peace! Peace!" -- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun ! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms ! Our brethren are already in the field ! Why stand we here idle ? "

P.H.
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#105748 Apr 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
It's NOT "the Guns, Stupid".
IT'S THE SUICIDE BOMBS AND HOMICIDE BOMBS DETONATED BY MUSLIM JIHADISTS, WHO FOLLOW THE SO-CALLED "RELIGION OF PEACE" !
Really?

So what about that ZIONAZIS?

"Newly-released UK documents speak of Zionist Nazis, terrorists and savages"
http://www.redressonline.com/2013/04/newly-re...

LET'S TALK ABOUT THAT!!!!!!!

Oh, and there's this: WHY DOES ISRAEL P A Y to DISARM AMERICANS?!?!!?!?!?

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#105749 Apr 27, 2013
Sir Bucking Fastard wrote:
<quoted text>
One SMALL correction, my dear: NEITHER the U.S. Constitution, NOR the Bill of Rights,'gave' anything to anyone.
Rather, the Bill of Rights was a RECOGNITION of WHAT was ALREADY KNOWN by the colonists.
YOUR Constitution gives NOT—A —THING to you.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PUH-LEASE: KEEP THAT in mind, FOR EVER!
YOUR Constitution serves SOLELY as a CONSTRAINT upon YOUR federal, AND state governments.
It is UP TO YOU to ENFORCE its provisions.
Are YOU up to that task?
You are CORRECT in stating that the U.S. Constitution does NOT "give us rights", but rather protects the RIGHTS that are ours by the very fact of our existence.

And you are once again CORRECT that the U.S. Constitution IS designed to be a constraint on the federal government.

Presently, our Obamaniac is doing everything he can to eviscerate American citizens of their Second Amendment RIGHTS to be armed against his goons.

And so far, members of HIS OWN PARTY IN THE SENATE have prevented him from doing so.

I AM READY to die for my RIGHTS. But how many of my fellow Americans are ?!

There are other things I would like to say here about this subject, but I don't want the Secret Service, F.B.I. A.T.F. D.H.S., and other members of The Obamaniac's storm trooping goons swooping down on me.(He's a One Fell Swoopist).
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#105750 Apr 27, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are CORRECT in stating that the U.S. Constitution does NOT "give us rights", but rather protects the RIGHTS that are ours by the very fact of our existence.
And you are once again CORRECT that the U.S. Constitution IS designed to be a constraint on the federal government.
Presently, our Obamaniac is doing everything he can to eviscerate American citizens of their Second Amendment RIGHTS to be armed against his goons.
And so far, members of HIS OWN PARTY IN THE SENATE have prevented him from doing so.
I AM READY to die for my RIGHTS. But how many of my fellow Americans are ?!
There are other things I would like to say here about this subject, but I don't want the Secret Service, F.B.I. A.T.F. D.H.S., and other members of The Obamaniac's storm trooping goons swooping down on me.(He's a One Fell Swoopist).
"There are other things I would like to say here about this subject, but I don't want the Secret Service, F.B.I. A.T.F. D.H.S., and other members of The Obamaniac's storm trooping goons swooping down on me.(He's a One Fell Swoopist)."

If you can't —or won't— speak your mind, then YOU are ALREADY a slave.

And SCREW those 'storm troopers!'

IT IS BETTER TO DIE STANDING ON YOUR OWN TWO FEET, than to die MISERABLY ON YOUR KNEES!!!!!!

STAND AND FIGHT, DAMN IT!

If YOU do NOT have the COURAGE of YOUR convictions, then what have you otherwise ....?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Largest maker of bump stocks will stop acceptin... 31 min Get Out 411
News Trump's plan will seek to 'harden' schools agai... 20 hr Globalism is Crime 1,429
News Saratoga proposes firearm safety ordinance 21 hr WTF 2
News Committee rejects bill to arm teachers May 16 that flag 2
News 'It is not our intent to finance or underwrite ... May 13 javawhey 43
News Gov. Mary Fallin Vetoes Constitutional Carry Bill May 12 javawhey 6
News This man proposed a law banning assault weapons... May 11 whiney beech 1