It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

MalbarCACA Controllers

Luton, UK

#105669 Apr 27, 2013
MalbarCACA NGUTAMIMOTBACKYCHOKYOACUT wrote:
<quoted text> one on one in what ?
MalbarCACA NGUTAMIMOTBACKYCHOKYOACUT

#105660
1 hr ago


What is the point of this post ? When has anyone anywhere ever suggested doing this ?

Stupid post from a stupid person

This coming from the author of these posts:
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/japan/TB2O1F...

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/japan/T8Q8NE...

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/japan/T2F1FB...
FormerParatroope r

United States

#105670 Apr 27, 2013
Larry wrote:
Well how about this then for the gun nuts, lets give everyone semi automatic weapons, we will give them to everyone, person in retirement village, heres a gun, average 35 year old man heres a gun, mother of two, heres a gun. Lets see how well this works.
how well is this going to work? We all get a semi automatic gun for christmas. The average, the angry, the depressed. How well will this work?
You may feel you would be violent, but I am not.

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#105671 Apr 27, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Have you ever been in a life or death situation where you had to depend on yourself for your life? Get back to me after that.
No I have been lucky enough to have had people around me that have come to my aid...it was a car accident a person clipped the back end of my car and it rolled and withing what seemed like a lifetime but was only a few minutes I had people coming from everywhere, it was like Kings Cross on a Saturday night...and I greatly admired their aid ...so thankful that I in turn felt the need to join a service that helped others and I only retired from it fully last year...it is a great feeling to aid others in need of help and sometimes even have the want to save a life rather than worry about someone pinching my stuff or taking my life, so that I want to get a gun and shoot them....life is too short to think that small....
GoGoBar

Thailand

#105672 Apr 27, 2013
FormerParatrooper wrote:
<quoted text>
You may feel you would be violent, but I am not.
Just do a "Ghurka" and jump without a parachute.
No guns.
And choose if you would prefer to land in Australia, Yemen or Thailand.
Thailand and Yemen should be safer for you as both countries have the same murder brate for people as the USA.

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#105673 Apr 27, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> I have kids older than you. Let's imagine for a second that you compare yourself now to when you were 16. Are you much more experienced now and realize you didn't really know squat that you thought you knew then? Imagine 30 more years from now what you will know that you think you know now.
Age is not necessarily a guarantee of intelligence so don't lie to the kid and feed him misinformation...that is not a sign of a wise old man really, is it?

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#105674 Apr 27, 2013
Whoop-dee-doo wrote:
<quoted text> what a load of shit!
Get a life you dumb troll...still changing your name I see...we still know who you are...you noong.

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#105675 Apr 27, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text>In 2005 the head of the New South Wales Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research, Don Weatherburn, noted that the level of legal gun ownership in New South Wales increased in recent years, and that the 1996 legislation had had little to no effect on violence.In 2006, the lack of a measurable effect from the 1996 firearms legislation was reported in the British Journal of Criminology. Using ARIMA analysis, Dr Jeanine Baker and Dr Samara McPhedran found no evidence for an impact of the laws on homicide. A 2010 study on the effects of the firearm buybacks by Wang-Sheng Lee and Sandy Suardi of Melbourne University's Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research studied the data and concluded, "Despite the fact that several researchers using the same data have examined the impact of the NFA on firearm deaths, a consensus does not appear to have been reached. In this paper, we re-analyze the same data on firearm deaths used in previous research, using tests for unknown structural breaks as a means to identifying impacts of the NFA. The results of these tests suggest that the NFA did not have any large effects on reducing firearm homicide or suicide rates. The Australian Bureau of Criminology states its murder rate in 2006 with firearms was the highest ever at 16.3 percent. The ban started in 1997.
Also since the ban, here are the crime increases:
In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent, robbery 6.2 percent, sexual assault/rape 29.2 percent and overall crime rose 42.2 percent. Those numbers are quite a startling difference from ''virtually eliminating gun deaths and no substantial increase in violent crime.'' And since the ban, Australian women are raped three times more often than American women. Using Australia as an model to lead people into a false sense of security that an anti-gun policy could create a safer society is an injustice.
Yawn!
youtube

AOL

#105676 Apr 27, 2013
.

100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_______




.
MalbarCACA Controllers

Luton, UK

#105677 Apr 27, 2013
MalbarCACA useless git wrote:
<quoted text>
All of those things apply to Australia too, idiot.
What's up NGUTAMIMOTBACKYCHOKYOACUT, scared to to use your own useless git sock puppet Topix log accessor nics to express your opinions?

FOOKING coward ID THIEF - "GO AWAY HeY DOG KHMUUUU' BAC' KY` CHOOO' DOI' TARO A SSHOLE EAT SHHIT LIEM' LoN^` XAC' CHET' LICK DIED PU SSY 24/24/365 NONSTOP ,,,

Go EAT SHHIT EVERYDAY !!! "

GET OUT !!! insane oink oink oink Bucking Fastard.
Larry

Australia

#105678 Apr 27, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> The U.S. has over 100,000,000 gun owners, that's 4x the population of Australia. Yet we are the most powerful superpower the world has ever known and your not. Looks like it works just fine.
it's " you're not " firstly, and I dont know if Australia has ever had a desire to be a super power. I am totally happy with America being a superpower, I wish them all the best with the economy the world needs a strong united states. But here in Australia, we are already concerned about the far reaching effects of overpopulation, being a super power is nothing to do with the topic of gun control. You are a resource rich nation, you have plenty of everything over there, Australia is about half desert, so we do the best with what we have, and we are doing alright.

I dont have to carry a gun for protection,
you in your own words claim that you do. I think that just about sums it up on who is doing alright when it comes to gun related crime.
MalbarCACA Controllers

Luton, UK

#105679 Apr 27, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> it's " you're not " firstly, and I dont know if Australia has ever had a desire to be a super power. I am totally happy with America being a superpower, I wish them all the best with the economy the world needs a strong united states. But here in Australia, we are already concerned about the far reaching effects of overpopulation, being a super power is nothing to do with the topic of gun control. You are a resource rich nation, you have plenty of everything over there, Australia is about half desert, so we do the best with what we have, and we are doing alright.
I dont have to carry a gun for protection,
you in your own words claim that you do. I think that just about sums it up on who is doing alright when it comes to gun related crime.
How's the Crackdown announced going, Larry?

BTW - why have you stopped posting from Chatswood?
Larry

Australia

#105680 Apr 27, 2013
I read a little about standard of living rankings, and Australia came second only to Norway a few years back, so we are doing some things right. yes we provide disability allowances and unemployment allowances etc, but I view that as a good thing. We have quite a low unemployment rate anyway, most people do the right thing and the systems work. I appreciate that you.are proud of your country Tray, but other countries can do things differently, even the US and Canada do some things differently, you like your guns and your entitled to that opinion, but I m here on the Australian forum giving my opinion and the opi.ion of many Aussies, because it is an issue that our country has dealt with successfully. The way I see it Anglo countries and people benifit from sticking together and learning from one another.. A lot of people in Australia value the environment, safety, standards of living, things like that, we are not the backward people you make out. We just see an opportunity to give advice to a country and people that we have strong ties with. Surely there must be some people in your country that want change to gun laws..
spocko

Oakland, CA

#105681 Apr 27, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> The U.S has such great impact on the rest of the world because we are the most powerful superpower the world has ever known. We must be doing something right to achieve this. Facts over ride opinion.
The USA has been acknowledged as the most powerful nation on Earth since the end of World War II. It has been lauded and, to a degree, rightly so, as having provided greater life and happiness for many people throughout the world. But there is another side most U.S. Americans don’t hear about so much, and that those with a let’s-always-be-positive, feel-good mentality tend to ignore or deny. As with other supremely powerful nations in previous times, the USA has used its power to cause tremendous suffering and death. We are generally not taught this in school nor informed about it in the corporate media, though it is abundantly documented.
The USA is responsible for systematic suffering throughout the world, as a result of its dominant position and wide-ranging counterrevolutionary efforts, has been the most important single instigator, administrator, and moral and material sustainer of serious bloodbaths in the years that followed World War II. It has been estimated that US in its zeal to putting its stamp on world, is guilty for the deaths of as many as 30 Million human beings. Not mention the Billions of sea creatures when it tested its nuclear bombs in the bikini islands.
Larry

Australia

#105682 Apr 27, 2013
MalbarCACA Controllers wrote:
<quoted text>
How's the Crackdown announced going, Larry?
BTW - why have you stopped posting from Chatswood?
lol not in Chatswood anymore.. I was in newtown watching the commody show cracker night. Best laugh in ages..
dangerous zone

Torrance, CA

#105683 Apr 27, 2013
you australian lot a fools criminal can attack someone with more confidence if they know he's not armed so can the government period

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#105684 Apr 27, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
The USA has been acknowledged as the most powerful nation on Earth since the end of World War II. It has been lauded and, to a degree, rightly so, as having provided greater life and happiness for many people throughout the world. But there is another side most U.S. Americans don’t hear about so much, and that those with a let’s-always-be-positive, feel-good mentality tend to ignore or deny. As with other supremely powerful nations in previous times, the USA has used its power to cause tremendous suffering and death. We are generally not taught this in school nor informed about it in the corporate media, though it is abundantly documented.
The USA is responsible for systematic suffering throughout the world, as a result of its dominant position and wide-ranging counterrevolutionary efforts, has been the most important single instigator, administrator, and moral and material sustainer of serious bloodbaths in the years that followed World War II. It has been estimated that US in its zeal to putting its stamp on world, is guilty for the deaths of as many as 30 Million human beings. Not mention the Billions of sea creatures when it tested its nuclear bombs in the bikini islands.
You're right. Big mistake. We should've tested them in California. Preferably right next door to you.
dangerous zone

Torrance, CA

#105685 Apr 27, 2013
Australia is Concealed Colony and as a result the Australian governments at all levels is declared invalid under international law
Larry

Australia

#105686 Apr 27, 2013
I m of the opinion that the USA has used its position well for the most part, and its people can be proud. Australia is not perfect either, but its about improvement and in this discussion the room for improvement is in reducing mass shootings and gun crime.
Larry

Australia

#105687 Apr 27, 2013
dangerous zone wrote:
you australian lot a fools criminal can attack someone with more confidence if they know he's not armed so can the government period
the goverment? Ok .. Yep time for sleep
MalbarCACA Controllers

Luton, UK

#105688 Apr 27, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> lol not in Chatswood anymore.. I was in newtown watching the commody show cracker night. Best laugh in ages..
Sure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Appeals court upholds MD assault weapons ban 4 hr POP 28
News Court: Banning Doctors From Asking About Firear... 22 hr payme 5
[ Uga-Buga Turbans and Commie Pink Hats ] Sat Buddy Baker 1
News With Obama leaving, Congressional Republicans l... Feb 22 WasteWater 38
News Those Who Plan and Enjoy Murder Feb 21 justice 1
News Pennsylvanians ask feds to help disarm intimida... (Aug '13) Feb 21 Sisboi Markie 22
News Will Sixty Senators Vote To Protect The Second ... Feb 19 Trump your President 8
More from around the web