It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103311 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Larry

Australia

#105575 Apr 26, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> is this just in the south? That sounds really hectic. I guess there is a couple of dodgy areas I Australia, but your more likely to see some crazy jump out from in the bushes talking to himself.
I d say criminals in Austrlia still have guns probably, but they just shoot each other.. But seriously I dont think because the crims will end up with the guns is a valid arguement.
MalbarCACA Controllers

Luton, UK

#105576 Apr 26, 2013
Jackass Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha, next thing you'll be telling us is that gun ownership is right bestowed by god specifically for americans, and don't quote me any anachronistic old testament dribble.
Get back into your pit latrine, Idiotic MalbarCACA Jackass Bender.
armed citizen

San Jose, CA

#105577 Apr 26, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> is this just in the south? That sounds really hectic. I guess there is a couple of dodgy areas I Australia, but your more likely to see some crazy jump out from in the bushes talking to himself.
if you want to get killed over something stupid than sell your gun or don't buy one
MalbarCACA Controllers

Chermside, Australia

#105578 Apr 26, 2013
MalbarCACA Controllers wrote:
<quoted text>
Get back into your pit latrine, Idiotic MalbarCACA Jackass Bender.
I will whisper to you beady
armedude

San Jose, CA

#105579 Apr 26, 2013
a gun gives you a chance to save your life cops cannot be everywhere at once they show up after you dead
MalbarCACA Controllers

Chermside, Australia

#105580 Apr 26, 2013
<quoted text>
I will whisper to you beady
I don't mind a good shot in the botty.
armedude

San Jose, CA

#105581 Apr 26, 2013
Obama gave assault weapons to Mexican gangs, leaving thousands dead. But he cares about gun violence Lol period
armedude

San Jose, CA

#105582 Apr 26, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't mind a good shot in the botty.
You must have smoked a bad&#65279; bunch of weed.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#105583 Apr 26, 2013
yep wrote:
It doesnt matter. The point is that both nations had the good sense to end slavery.
The past is the past. It should not be forgotten, good or bad. What needs our attention now is radical islam.
This pissing contest on which nation is better is just that, a pissing contest.
The entire western world is at threat, and all us westerners are in this together.
We are not your enemy, you are not ours. But we both know who/what the REAL enemy is.
How about some perspective here? Radical Islam is .007 percent of the word's Islamic population, these people are criminals and should be treated as such! The police can take care of it much better than some oversized, overbearing and useless federal agency!
Just wondering

Oakland, CA

#105584 Apr 26, 2013
armedude wrote:
Obama gave assault weapons to Mexican gangs, leaving thousands dead. But he cares about gun violence Lol period
When you shake your head does it rattle? It must really be tragic to be brain-dead ...
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#105585 Apr 26, 2013
Jackass Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha, next thing you'll be telling us is that gun ownership is right bestowed by god specifically for americans, and don't quote me any anachronistic old testament dribble.
Allow ME to ask of YOU: WHO gave YOU your human rights, how did he/they do that, and from what place did he/they get that power?

Let's talk about THAT!
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#105586 Apr 26, 2013
armedude wrote:
a gun gives you a chance to save your life cops cannot be everywhere at once they show up after you dead
Correct!

Cops = Reporters with guns badges.

When seconds count, the cops are usually minutes, and sometimes hours away.
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#105587 Apr 26, 2013
armedude wrote:
<quoted text>You must have smoked a bad&#65279; bunch of weed.
Actually, no.

You see? He —being 'double-jointed'— is used to giving himself head.

But lately, due to his other bad habits, he's become totally impotent, and simply can't 'get it up' anymore! So he's become very frustrated!
:-))
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#105589 Apr 26, 2013
Just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
When you shake your head does it rattle? It must really be tragic to be brain-dead ...
Shall we guess that you've been living under a rock?

Have you not heard of 'Fast and Furious' aka 'Operation Gun Walker?

GET A CLUE:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/natio...
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#105590 Apr 26, 2013
Sir Bucking Fastard wrote:
<quoted text>
Shall we guess that you've been living under a rock?
Have you not heard of 'Fast and Furious' aka 'Operation Gun Walker?
GET A CLUE:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/natio...
Now, now, Media Matters, Move On, Think Progress, Mother Jones don't cover those subjects unless they can blame Bush.:-)
The Flying Pig

UK

#105591 Apr 26, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now, Media Matters, Move On, Think Progress, Mother Jones don't cover those subjects unless they can blame Bush.:-)
Please correct me, should I happen to be wrong, but was/is there really any difference between Reagan, Bush 41, Clinton, Bush 42, and Obama?

As I've witnessed things from afar, every 'change of command' in the U.S. has been nothing more, or less, than turning pages of the very same novel titled 'Going to Hell in a hand basket.'
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#105592 Apr 26, 2013
The Flying Pig wrote:
<quoted text>
Please correct me, should I happen to be wrong, but was/is there really any difference between Reagan, Bush 41, Clinton, Bush 42, and Obama?
As I've witnessed things from afar, every 'change of command' in the U.S. has been nothing more, or less, than turning pages of the very same novel titled 'Going to Hell in a hand basket.'
No, not really. Reagan was better than the rest. Reagan brought back the economy that Carter screwed up. Although Reagan was a spender, he didn't add any more agencies to the federal government that I know of.

I think Margaret Thatcher lowered the unemployment rate in the UK, am I right?

To me, Obama is an extension of Bush 43 without Iraq.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#105593 Apr 26, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
society is breaking down that is why we have to prize each life, because once we start looking at taking a life as a means to join a gang, then we know something has gone pear shaped. The fact that they can so easily get their hands on a gun doesn't help matters...it gives these kids some kind of power over life and death...I wonder would they have the balls to kill someone if they had to use their bare hands?
Yes they would. back in the 70s and 60s it was the switchblade knife that was blamed. Everyone claimed if they were banned it would stop gang killings. It didn't it just moved them on to bigger and better weapons. If they can't get guns then they will move to bombs, ect. ect. The killers of today are starting to move from guns to bombs and chemical weapons. It's just a matter of time before guns become obsolete. With these new weapons they can kill from miles even states or countries away. The chance of being caught is minimal. I keep saying the most powerful weapon in the world is the human brain. Your point of bare hands implies the killers would have to be on even ground with their victim. Being as they have guns, knives, ect. ect and no real way of removing modern weapons would it not be prudent to arm the victim so once again the even ground would exist? Removing weapons from the the innocent victims tilts the scales in favor of the criminal, in doing so it simply encourages the criminal activity.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#105594 Apr 26, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> Ok you are saying I am of low IQ? Well I don't know, but how is doing very well at school and studying Science with a Psychology major sound?..
I ve had a fair bit to do with psychometric testing also, and what most people think about the concept of ' IQ' as a defining number to basically boast about, is simply so far off the mark when it comes to psychometric testing. IQ tests are just one type of psychometric test psychologists use to obtain information about peoples cognition. There are a dozen or more well known IQ tests also.
Esentially you can forget about your ignorant, and oh so hurtful opinion that I have a low IQ score, because firstly you demonstrate to me that you are not well informed of the true purposes of an IQ test, such as identifying learning difficulties or cognitive decline. It is used as a tool, and is not an absolute value. So if you score high on an internet IQ test, you are making a fool of yourself going around telling people your 'IQ'. You would be better of telling people about some of your achievrments which reflect good cognitive abilities. As I have briefly done.
Finally in case you are wondering, no I dont score low on I Q tests. I have always scored above average on the tests I have taken personally.
ps its the guns stupid.
Oh I'm sorry, I used the wrong term. What I should have said is YOU CAN'T FIND YOUR ARSE WITH BOTH HANDS. Is that better? As far as degrees I have 4 and I bet I got them long before you were even born. Real world experience can't be measured in a test. The day you realize you don't know everything is the day you start learning something. Untill then you are a bore.
Tray

Tupelo, MS

#105595 Apr 26, 2013
Jackass Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes america has held the balance of terror for many years which defines your baseness not your greatness. Envious of imperialistic bullies and your vain glorious delusions of grandeur, I doubt it. The foundations are cracking, you're already on the way down. Karma is a bitch.
He he he. Is that why you are on here obsessing about the U.S.? Seams you have a lot of time on your hands to be reading and posting about a country you care nothing about. Do we keep you up at night? Do you spend large amounts of time trying to find a weak spot to attack? Your envy green is screaming right now. If you post here again it only proves it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... 14 min southern at heart 1,561
News Clinton blames Republican leaders for a 'paraly... 27 min Go Blue Forever 1,101
News Letter: Second Amendment should be abolished Jul 23 Prep-for-Dep 6
News AG Healey's assault weapons order is an overdue... Jul 23 Get Out 3
News Shoot Down the Stupid Second Amendment (Dec '14) Jul 16 Prep-for-Dep 60
News Q&A: What are the firearms rules for the GOP co... Jul 13 Banned 2016 1
News What Paul Ryan wants in Donald Trumpa s vice-pr... Jul 13 spud 3
More from around the web