It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103293 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#105552 Apr 26, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're WRONG.
"We hold these truths to be SELF-EVIDENT, that ALL men are CREATED EQUAL, that they are endowed BY THEIR CREATOR with certain UNALIENABLE RIGHTS, that among these are LIFE, LIBERTY, and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, DERIVING THEIR JUST POWERS FROM THE CONCENT OF THE GOVERNED." ---- Thomas Jefferson
And PS: Jefferson was a racist that believe the negro was inferior, yet kept a slave as his mistress....read on http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeo...
sid

Chermside, Australia

#105553 Apr 26, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Rights predate even the bible. Rights don't expire or go out of date. Rights don't exist on paper. Rights were not created. Just because some wish to twist the wording or give their version of what rights is does not alter or change true rights. Rights are not dependent on who is in office or even if that office exists. Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
I can't believe what I'm reading from you, you are completely mad, even your mug mates have abandoned you, you are an embarrassment to your country and should be locked up for the common good.
sid

Chermside, Australia

#105554 Apr 26, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're WRONG.
"We hold these truths to be SELF-EVIDENT, that ALL men are CREATED EQUAL, that they are endowed BY THEIR CREATOR with certain UNALIENABLE RIGHTS, that among these are LIFE, LIBERTY, and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, DERIVING THEIR JUST POWERS FROM THE CONCENT OF THE GOVERNED." ---- Thomas Jefferson
This piece of vile hypocritical rhetoric has been flouted and made a mockery of by your people and your governments so many times it's beyond a joke. Look at your history and then read that dribble, see if you can find any correlation between the two.
Tray

French Camp, MS

#105555 Apr 26, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the same the world over and it isn't only the criminals that are abusing the judicial system, the same goes of those with power or money...Sometimes the biggest crooks aren't necessarily the ones behind the bars. The moral line has shifted to where a mans life means so little so there is no compassion at the loss...We are the problem as well when we can elevate sport stars or celebrities that because of their popularity they can pervert that same system of justice that sees the noticeable thug go to jail, yet a celebrity, sport star or business man gets off....especially if it will cause a major citizen disturbance to incarcerate them or find them guilty of a crime...I site Lindsay Lohan, OJ...and the latest furore where a South African athlete allegdly murdered his girlfriend...they don't seem so awful or guilty when they have status, do they?
Agreed. Our heros now are thugs. The more they violate the traditional moral values the more we want to see them and elevate them. 50cent, TUPAC, Biggy, ect. ect. What they sell to our youth is much more dangerous than a gun. They sell the idea that being a criminal is a good thing. Our youth are joining gangs and killing each other over stupid things like drugs or a street corner or what color clothes you wear. They will kill each other over a pair of shoes or the latest cell phone. Many gangs now require you to kill someone, anyone, to join. These kids as young as 12 are taught to kill and just take what they want from victims. The revolving door of the court system is not working.
Tray

French Camp, MS

#105556 Apr 26, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Not your American rights....they didn't come into place till after the British went....the bible predates them all...prior to that no one but the rich and powerful had rights....and not until the sixties did the African American have the same rights to walk into a shop that wasn't divided by colour...same with the wars how long did it take you to realise they had the same right to march with their mates...they were segregated there to...Our aboriginals weren't segregated but are only now being recognise for the part they played....so you mean your white rights...don't you? because not even your constitution recognises the AA does it....so who's right were they again? Shame on us.
Human rights have always existed. I never said they weren't infringed or denied. Yes shame on us all.
Tray

French Camp, MS

#105557 Apr 26, 2013
sid wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe what I'm reading from you, you are completely mad, even your mug mates have abandoned you, you are an embarrassment to your country and should be locked up for the common good.
Is that a reply or just your personal ranting?
Tray

French Camp, MS

#105558 Apr 26, 2013
sid wrote:
<quoted text>
This piece of vile hypocritical rhetoric has been flouted and made a mockery of by your people and your governments so many times it's beyond a joke. Look at your history and then read that dribble, see if you can find any correlation between the two.
Hey that dribble made us the most powerful superpower the world has ever known. Can't argue with results. Caution, your envy green is showing.

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#105559 Apr 26, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Agreed. Our heros now are thugs. The more they violate the traditional moral values the more we want to see them and elevate them. 50cent, TUPAC, Biggy, ect. ect. What they sell to our youth is much more dangerous than a gun. They sell the idea that being a criminal is a good thing. Our youth are joining gangs and killing each other over stupid things like drugs or a street corner or what color clothes you wear. They will kill each other over a pair of shoes or the latest cell phone. Many gangs now require you to kill someone, anyone, to join. These kids as young as 12 are taught to kill and just take what they want from victims. The revolving door of the court system is not working.
society is breaking down that is why we have to prize each life, because once we start looking at taking a life as a means to join a gang, then we know something has gone pear shaped. The fact that they can so easily get their hands on a gun doesn't help matters...it gives these kids some kind of power over life and death...I wonder would they have the balls to kill someone if they had to use their bare hands?
Larry

Australia

#105560 Apr 26, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Does that work on the playground? You can't think of anything adult? Poor low IQ.
Ok you are saying I am of low IQ? Well I don't know, but how is doing very well at school and studying Science with a Psychology major sound?..

I ve had a fair bit to do with psychometric testing also, and what most people think about the concept of ' IQ' as a defining number to basically boast about, is simply so far off the mark when it comes to psychometric testing. IQ tests are just one type of psychometric test psychologists use to obtain information about peoples cognition. There are a dozen or more well known IQ tests also.
Esentially you can forget about your ignorant, and oh so hurtful opinion that I have a low IQ score, because firstly you demonstrate to me that you are not well informed of the true purposes of an IQ test, such as identifying learning difficulties or cognitive decline. It is used as a tool, and is not an absolute value. So if you score high on an internet IQ test, you are making a fool of yourself going around telling people your 'IQ'. You would be better of telling people about some of your achievrments which reflect good cognitive abilities. As I have briefly done.

Finally in case you are wondering, no I dont score low on I Q tests. I have always scored above average on the tests I have taken personally.

ps its the guns stupid.
Larry

Australia

#105561 Apr 26, 2013
Pessimist wrote:
<quoted text>
How does having the Queens head on our coins make us “prisoners” have you nothing better than that?
this idea that we are all convicts really annoys me plain and simple its not the case. The overwhelming majority of early settlers were well of skilled or adventurous free settlers from Britain. My great grandfather was born in the north of England and was a skilled man and established a successful business.. The other lines in my family are all similar story, very wealthy and well to do people. The convict labouers were moved on before the settlers came. they were small in number and not the ones breeding, but it sounds better to say we were all prisoners.. Far from the truth. Maybe 1 percent of people here!
Larry

Australia

#105562 Apr 26, 2013
Colonel Jessup wrote:
We don't need gun control, we need people control.
I was watching Chris Rock stand up once, and he said "we don't need gun control, we need BULLET control. Every bullet should cost 5000 dollars! If bullets cost 5000 dollars, there would be no innocent bystanders."
I thought it was hilarious.
you need gun control and people control.
Jackass Whisperer

Chermside, Australia

#105563 Apr 26, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Hey that dribble made us the most powerful superpower the world has ever known. Can't argue with results. Caution, your envy green is showing.
Yes america has held the balance of terror for many years which defines your baseness not your greatness. Envious of imperialistic bullies and your vain glorious delusions of grandeur, I doubt it. The foundations are cracking, you're already on the way down. Karma is a bitch.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#105564 Apr 26, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
And PS: Jefferson was a racist that believe the negro was inferior, yet kept a slave as his mistress....read on http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeo...
The man who freed them was also a racist and thought they were inferior.
“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”

Abraham Lincoln

Where would Jefferson's slaves go?
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#105565 Apr 26, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> you need gun control and people control.
I practice gun control. I use both hands when I shoot.:-)
Larry

Australia

#105566 Apr 26, 2013
The overwheming majority of Americans I have met including my Canadian relatives, have beem big hearted friendly people. Even some of the ethnic miinorities from there arn t too bad..
Larry

Australia

#105567 Apr 26, 2013
Trouble is they love their guns too much.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#105568 Apr 26, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> this idea that we are all convicts really annoys me plain and simple its not the case. The overwhelming majority of early settlers were well of skilled or adventurous free settlers from Britain. My great grandfather was born in the north of England and was a skilled man and established a successful business.. The other lines in my family are all similar story, very wealthy and well to do people. The convict labouers were moved on before the settlers came. they were small in number and not the ones breeding, but it sounds better to say we were all prisoners.. Far from the truth. Maybe 1 percent of people here!
No worries, mate. We had the same history.

http://www.earlyamericancrime.com/convict-tra...
Larry

Australia

#105569 Apr 26, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I practice gun control. I use both hands when I shoot.:-)
haha nice call..
armed citizen

San Jose, CA

#105570 Apr 26, 2013
Larry wrote:
If you're a normal person living in the US, particularly in a city, you MUST be armed to protect yourself and your family from the effects of the 2nd Amendment. The criminals are armed, or can get a gun in 5 mins, so normal people must be too.
armed citizen

San Jose, CA

#105571 Apr 26, 2013
Larry wrote:
]The idea that more gun control, more regulations is somehow going to make the United States safer is rediculous

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The news media love America. The government, no... 13 hr Erl 63
LAX Ammo Photo Contest/Giveaway! Thu KTSullivan 2
Taurus Gaucho Revolver (May '06) Sep 16 Senb12 29
News Lawyer: 'Pharma Bro' joking about bounty for Cl... Sep 13 Jeff Brightone 2
News Ryan Blocking Concealed Carry Reciprocity, Cong... Sep 11 FormerParatrooper 1
News D.C. Requests Hearing on Protection of Second A... Sep 10 Lou Posey 3
News SCOTUS Asked to Review Ninth Circuit Decision o... Sep 9 FormerParatrooper 2
More from around the web