It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103326 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#105422 Apr 25, 2013
republican gun state wrote:
<quoted text> you dumb people in australia No houses&#65279; are broken into in my town. Know why? WE ARE ALL GUN OWNERS!
Buy a dog, you dumb arse.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#105423 Apr 25, 2013
republican gun state wrote:
<quoted text>you should worry about your royal state cause royal government is going to seize your property and be laughing
ROTFLMFAO....YOU KNOW NOTHING dumb troll.!

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#105424 Apr 25, 2013
way to go Ahole wrote:
<quoted text>
It takes only a split second. We two could be sitting together right in the middle of 100 policemen and if I decide to suddenly kill you they couldn't stop me.
A: Well then guns are useless aren't they?

They could react but it'd be too late for you. All they could do is arrest me after the fact. They can't read minds or predict the future.
<quoted text>
Prisoners make the weapons. An old favorite is a simple plastic toothbrush. rub it against a wall or floor until one end is worn down to a sharp point. Various other items are also used. You going to ban toothbrushes now?
<quoted text>
A: And wouldn't you think the guards would know what you know and confiscate any possible weapon but by you intelligence they don't need a weapon...so why does it still happen smarty pants....because the guards are not doing their job or they're corrupt..Oh der!
You've never been to prison I take it, or known anyone in prison? They arent locked up in a cell alone 24/7. They do have rights. They do get exercise time, free time, they have jobs they do. They get to socialize . They aren't locked in a cage all the time, liberals would have a fit.
Consider 1,000 murderers and rapists in a building together with only a few guards watching them. Guards who are trying not to get killed themselves while also trying to keep these people from killing each other. Then factor in the gangs. Its not a nice place.
A: Oh I thought it was paradise in prison where everyone is your friend, you noong and the guards have guns for protection or so that is what I am led to believe they are used for by the gun noongs, are you telling me they don't do the job?....And NO! I have not been to prison, have you? and do you now have a gun, if so how effective is it and is it really needed if you can kill me with 100 guards watching you....wouldn't everyone kill that way, it would be cheaper and less hard work? LOL
Sure they have cameras everywhere. What good is that when you get stabbed? It was on camera, but you're still dead. At least they have a nice picture of your killer? That's nice.
A: you could kill me before a hundred guards could get to me....why the need for a weapon?....make up your melon.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#105425 Apr 25, 2013
ping wong wrote:
<quoted text>It isn't&#65279; hard to drive into a neighbouring state get a gun and then drive back, not exactly an obstacle. Even if there is check points to prevent that, it wouldn't be hard to bypass them.
I think that is the point I am making troll...you are just not getting the point....Your laws have to be in every state encompassing every possible scenario and with harsher penalties...it isn't rocket science.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#105426 Apr 25, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine says Chicago as well even though I'm nowhere near Chicago. It used to say Frenso, Ca and I'm on the East Coast.
Just another troll....

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#105427 Apr 25, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Well your government must not think so because they don't even trust you with a pocket knife.
That's because we don't want our country to become America....and we back our governments actions with over 90% of popular opinion... our country is safe in comparison to yours, so who's the idiot now?....Never had 20 little kids shot at their desks multiple times by a man with a gun, have you?...We know what is the right thing to do, you are fighting it because you don't care about human life or your kids, just your guns and rights....keep your guns for protection and and we will keep our kids safe happy but most of all alive....cheers beetch!

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#105428 Apr 25, 2013
R-12 Freon wrote:
<quoted text>
The criminal isn't the problem??? You really do have shit for brains, don't you
would a dog chained in a cage be a problem you dumb arse yank?...NO!...Crims that are locked up and guarded with you American idiots who have guns and camera's and dogs....shouldn't be a problem to you either, but you dumb arses can't get anything right.
What else do you want,to make them copses so you actually do your job...That would be about right.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#105429 Apr 25, 2013
ping wong wrote:
<quoted text>in australia you have royal hospitals, royal police force, royal air force,royal government,royal show, royal Yacht club,
That is because we are royally upperclass, not Billy Bobs, should have stuck with the Brits you might have gained some class...though nothing could get you lot one brain among you...You royal pain in the arse troll...there now you have something royal to brag about, because you just wish you were like us and Canada...shouldn't have burn't your bridges eh Pacha!
guest

Chicago, IL

#105431 Apr 25, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
would a dog chained in a cage be a problem you dumb arse yank?...NO!...Crims that are locked up and guarded with you American idiots who have guns
Hey stupid. Prison guards don't carry guns. That's Hollywood. Even at local jails when a police officer brings someone in the officer checks his weapon in. All guns are locked away. Guards that come in direct contact with prisoners carry no weapons at all.

And prisoners aren't chained in cages like dogs either, you moron.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#105432 Apr 25, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey stupid. Prison guards don't carry guns. That's Hollywood. Even at local jails when a police officer brings someone in the officer checks his weapon in. All guns are locked away. Guards that come in direct contact with prisoners carry no weapons at all.
And prisoners aren't chained in cages like dogs either, you moron.
Was that was because prison guards have been shot with their own weapons transferring prisoners etc... who said you yanks were dumb...LOL
republican rights

Anonymous Proxy

#105434 Apr 25, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because we don't want our country to become America....and we back our governments actions with over 90% of popular opinion... our country is safe in comparison to yours, so who's the idiot now?....Never had 20 little kids shot at their desks multiple times by a man with a gun, have you?...We know what is the right thing to do, you are fighting it because you don't care about human life or your kids, just your guns and rights....keep your guns for protection and and we will keep our kids safe happy but most of all alive....cheers beetch!
there whole world wants to be like great usa no one cares about australia expect british clowns in red coats
guest

Chicago, IL

#105435 Apr 25, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
It takes only a split second. We two could be sitting together right in the middle of 100 policemen and if I decide to suddenly kill you they couldn't stop me.
A: Well then guns are useless aren't they?
They could react but it'd be too late for you. All they could do is arrest me after the fact. They can't read minds or predict the future.
<quoted text>
Prisoners make the weapons. An old favorite is a simple plastic toothbrush. rub it against a wall or floor until one end is worn down to a sharp point. Various other items are also used. You going to ban toothbrushes now?
<quoted text>
A: And wouldn't you think the guards would know what you know and confiscate any possible weapon but by you intelligence they don't need a weapon...so why does it still happen smarty pants....because the guards are not doing their job or they're corrupt..Oh der!
You've never been to prison I take it, or known anyone in prison? They arent locked up in a cell alone 24/7. They do have rights. They do get exercise time, free time, they have jobs they do. They get to socialize . They aren't locked in a cage all the time, liberals would have a fit.
Consider 1,000 murderers and rapists in a building together with only a few guards watching them. Guards who are trying not to get killed themselves while also trying to keep these people from killing each other. Then factor in the gangs. Its not a nice place.
A: Oh I thought it was paradise in prison where everyone is your friend, you noong and the guards have guns for protection or so that is what I am led to believe they are used for by the gun noongs, are you telling me they don't do the job?....And NO! I have not been to prison, have you? and do you now have a gun, if so how effective is it and is it really needed if you can kill me with 100 guards watching you....wouldn't everyone kill that way, it would be cheaper and less hard work? LOL
Sure they have cameras everywhere. What good is that when you get stabbed? It was on camera, but you're still dead. At least they have a nice picture of your killer? That's nice.
A: you could kill me before a hundred guards could get to me....why the need for a weapon?....make up your melon.
No, guards don't carry guns for protection. They can't carry weapons while among the prison population. Guards get beaten all the time, sometimes killed. Also exposed to things like hepatitis. The guards are vastly outnumbered.

Guards do confiscate the home-made weapons constantly but prisoners are always making more. They make little shivs that are easily hidden and not detected by metal detectors.

Sure there are cameras everywhere but that means someone is in a room watching those cameras. You see on camera a fight break out, then all the guards have to scramble to get there. By that time prisoner is already been shanked and is bleeding to death.

They can't stop violence before it actually happens. Only watch and react but after the fact and often too late.

You should stop watching so many movies.
Larry

Australia

#105436 Apr 25, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that was because prison guards have been shot with their own weapons transferring prisoners etc... who said you yanks were dumb...LOL
why are they killing all the big crocodiles. Bloody outrage. Nature needs those big fellas. You know what else annoys me? Qantas. We should have seeked out a British airway. Bloody outrage, 99% of the population agree. You know what else ? You cant even order a pork chop on yee flight. That really annoys me.
The SWAT TEAM

Anonymous Proxy

#105437 Apr 25, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text>DELETED.
We told you FUKINGAYHOMOSEXUAL Pilon Benders:

Enough of the BASTARD DELETERs Benders and the hordes of sock puppet SPAMalot MalbarCACA SPAMMERs, ID and posts KNICKERs, REAL AGITATORs, TROUBLEMAKERs, IMPOSTORs, SmellyARSIE MODERATORs, TRANNYs, PIMPs, NONCEs, FUCKTURD PHAGGOT SHEMALEs, F*CKWITs, IDENTITY THIEves, PLAGIARIZERs, ROBBERs, IMPOSTORs, FUCKTURDs, DANCING LADYBOYs, Bacha Bazi Dancing RentBoys, muffin munching pony multiple FUCKTURD PHAGGOT SHEMALEs, F*CKWITs, MalbarCACAs.

Return to your cesspool and pit latrine coward, yellow belly, piss weak wimp, Liar, con artist supreme, falsifier, fraud, lowlife poltroon, gutless lily-livered pansy weakling, cheat, charlatan, conniver, fake, reprobate, scallywag, shyster, scammer, deceiver, pretentious scallywag, worthless phony, charade and travesty.

For f*ck's sake get a life and FOOK OFF for good.
Boong Coon

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

#105438 Apr 25, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because we don't want our country to become America....and we back our governments actions with over 90% of popular opinion... our country is safe in comparison to yours, so who's the idiot now?....Never had 20 little kids shot at their desks multiple times by a man with a gun, have you?...We know what is the right thing to do, you are fighting it because you don't care about human life or your kids, just your guns and rights....keep your guns for protection and and we will keep our kids safe happy but most of all alive....cheers beetch!
Who is "we" ???
Australians copy EVERY american fashion trend, watch ever american movie, listen to american music, and even say butt instead of bum now. The overwhelming numbers are inlove with americans here, its just a few fat old lesbian retards on disability pensions like you that are jealous of america.
republican rights

Anonymous Proxy

#105439 Apr 25, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because we don't want our country to become America....and we back our governments actions with over 90% of popular opinion... our country is safe in comparison to yours, so who's the idiot now?....Never had 20 little kids shot at their desks multiple times by a man with a gun, have you?...We know what is the right thing to do, you are fighting it because you don't care about human life or your kids, just your guns and rights....keep your guns for protection and and we will keep our kids safe happy but most of all alive....cheers beetch!
you are not a freeman, you are a Subject of the british crown i will keep my freedom and my gun so i can blow your brains out
Boong Coon

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

#105440 Apr 25, 2013
Larry wrote:
<quoted text> why are they killing all the big crocodiles. Bloody outrage. Nature needs those big fellas. You know what else annoys me? Qantas. We should have seeked out a British airway. Bloody outrage, 99% of the population agree. You know what else ? You cant even order a pork chop on yee flight. That really annoys me.
Just because youre using the name "Larry" dosent mean we cant tell its you EuroBoy, aka PaulKeating, aka Blair or I think its easier to use your real name, Alex Gollan.

You couldnt stick to this persona for long, I saw the post on the other thread you made... its obvious who you are.
guest

Chicago, IL

#105441 Apr 25, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that was because prison guards have been shot with their own weapons transferring prisoners etc... who said you yanks were dumb...LOL
No. Not during transfer. During transfer prisoners are shackled and officers do have weapons.

Its in the prison itself that guards can't carry weapons because the guards are extremely outnumbered in prison and in very close proximity to prisoners that aren't chained. In a prison the criminals are free and could easily jump guards en masse and overpower them. This is how prison riots start.

So in an actual prison guns are kept locked up and handled only in a few select areas away from the prisoners. Like in the guard towers for example they may be armed. The guards that walk around among the prisoners have no weapons.
Boong Coon

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

#105442 Apr 25, 2013
republican rights wrote:
<quoted text>you are not a freeman, you are a Subject of the british crown i will keep my freedom and my gun so i can blow your brains out
She isnt the voice of Australia, dont listen to what she says, most Australians like hunting and shooting, there are rifle clubs and things all over the country, and there are shooting parties in the senate in some states now, they gained seats in Ahomonas own state in the recent election.

Ahomona badly wants to turn this thread into a Australia VS USA thread.

Most Australians love the USA, thats why so many people holiday there.
republican rights

Anonymous Proxy

#105443 Apr 25, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
That is because we are royally upperclass, not Billy Bobs, should have stuck with the Brits you might have gained some class...though nothing could get you lot one brain among you...You royal pain in the arse troll...there now you have something royal to brag about, because you just wish you were like us and Canada...shouldn't have burn't your bridges eh Pacha!
no you are convict prisoners on a isolated island for punishment suicide is your option but how you lot going to kill yourselves if theres no guns

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Assault weapon bans should stand 5 hr Get Out 765
News Facebook Spends $16 Million on Armed Guards for... Fri okimar 1
News Hillary to Voter Calling for More Second Amendm... Apr 24 GoForTheBandit 1
News Crimson Trace Provides Improved Accuracy Apr 22 duzitreallymatter 1
News It's just a bill Apr 20 payme 1
News Advocates: Vegas Woman Slaying Illustrates Find... Apr 19 spytheweb 1
News Advocates: Vegas woman slaying illustrates find... Apr 17 FancyButtPirate 1
More from around the web