It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103299 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Tray

Plantersville, MS

#104640 Apr 15, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need to try anything...your posts are the evidence if you bother to check back.
Yet you keep posting to me. I'm touched.
FYI

Denver, CO

#104641 Apr 15, 2013
lewis wrote:
IMPEACH OBAMA---------WRITE, E-MAIL YOUR CONGRESSMAN. HE, OBAMA, IS SWORN TO PROTECT THE CONSTITUTION; NOT TO DESTROY IT.
IMPEACH THE IMPOSTER.
" HERE HERE, I agree!!! When can we start? Regards
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#104642 Apr 15, 2013
A veterans group was directed to remove the Gadsden flag by the New Rochelle city counsel because it is a Tea Party symbol. The flag was confiscated.

The fascists are at it again. Someone complained the flag was offensive.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/banished-historic-...

The gun bans have nothing to do with public safety. If public safety was a concern, they would keep offenders in jail. It's about people control.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#104644 Apr 15, 2013
boredguy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll try to explain the facts slowly and clearly, so pay attention. Since you're such a thicko and I'm such a good guy, I'll clarify this for you although I don't expect you to understand reason or logic.
Lesson 1: if you want to throw insults, make sure they're accurate. Otherwise you just come across like a deranged loser. You know nothing about me at all, except that I'm male. Therefore, calling me 'gay' or 'mummy's boy" or 'inbred hillbilly" any of the other laughable bullsh*t you've posted is an exercise in futility.
Lesson 2: You know nothing about any poster on this forum except the things they divulge (which may or may not be accurate). Therefore, calling them 'rednecks' etc is yet another exercise in futility. But your whole life is an exercise in futilty, which is why you respond to any comment you don't like with frothing at the mouth hysteria and schoolyard trashtalk. Also, spewing bile at strangers probably helps you to cope with your low status on the totem pole.
Your amusement value to me is getting near the end, so don't bother to respond (unless you can think up some more original 'insults' than the ones you've used so far). I know you will respond because you can't help yourself, so try your thesaurus (you can google that if you don't know what a thesaurus is, I think you'll find one online).
Chill and put another shrimp on barbie ...
spocko

Oakland, CA

#104654 Apr 15, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. What we are witnessing is treason by design. The government created the problem. And then turns around, under the guise of "public safety" of course. Attempting to commit more usurpation and tyranny by bringing on more of the same as a supposed 'solution'. The people in the United States are among one of a very few that is fighting this systematic evil. Most of the people in other countries in the world have already fallen for the ploy, and are disarmed as a result.
To only find comfort, and safety, in guns is very, very sad indeed. Ronald Reagan was pro-gun control because of the ‘armed’ Black Panthers. The Ku Klux Klan originally seized guns from freed slaves, it was known as the “slave patrol militia.” I don't buy the notion of Second Amendment absolutists that individually-owned guns are the best defense against the imposition of tyrannical rule in America, if anything it’s comical, I think we're pretty damn safe from tyrannical rule.
Of course if you were an African-American in 1870s or 1950s, you might have felt a lot safer with a gun. It is my belief that ‘qualified people’ have the right to bear arms, and that the government has the right and responsibility to regulate the sale and ‘the carry’ of guns. There seems to be no sense with the gun-crowed that the very presence of a gun – like all forms of power – alters its bearer’s state of mind, that the possession of a tool of lethal violence will invariably change how one interacts with the world. George Zimmerman, by his own telling, had he been unarmed he would have never stepped out his car.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#104656 Apr 15, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
My "comfort and safety" come from GOD, not a cold piece of steel. The right to arms just ENSURES that I can go on enjoying the "blessings of Liberty" unhindered.
GOD? Which one there are literally thousands of them ... I know Jesus was well know for "open-carry"

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#104657 Apr 15, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. What we are witnessing is treason by design. The government created the problem. And then turns around, under the guise of "public safety" of course. Attempting to commit more usurpation and tyranny by bringing on more of the same as a supposed 'solution'. The people in the United States are among one of a very few that is fighting this systematic evil. Most of the people in other countries in the world have already fallen for the ploy, and are disarmed as a result.
Exactly.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#104659 Apr 15, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
But in REALITY there is only ONE True God. And it is in Him that I put my trust.
Sure buddy ... whatever you say

Since: Dec 10

Glandore, Australia

#104660 Apr 15, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Even when a majority is brainwashed into thinking "it's in your best interest" does not change the name of it. If the majority believes slavery is OK, is it? The government is there to represent not only the majority but to protect the minority from the majority. Even to the point of it being a single citizen. At one point in history the majority believed what they were told, that witches lived among us and caused our daily problems. The majority then (believing what they were told and it being a lie) started burning "witches". People look for excuses to their problems in others. People tend to want to blame someone or some group for all the problems they have. In reality it does not work to infringe on anothers rights in the name of "it's in the public's best interest". Stop the witch hunts and use reality instead of mass hysteria.
I can honestly say that Australians have never had an interest in owning guns en mass, it is not and never has been of particular interest to the overwhelming majority, and not part of our lifestyle.....it has always been accepted that certain areas used them for their lively hood but it has never been a right to own a gun here for self defense. In short no brainwashing was ever employed, The Port Arthur massacre did shake us awake to the need for gun control, we should give a medal to our government who responded quickly and decisively to the overwhelming outrage and anger "by it's citizens" who demanded something to be done to prevent such a useless loss of life ever occurring again, via polls and the media and we have been secure in believing that we acted on the best interest of the innocents who's lives were lost that day...so you call us cowards, you call us brainwashed, you call us sheep.... but we know we were right then and it saved lives...around 200 a year....maybe that is a help to the families of those who uselessly died that day, that we never became so desensitized that we failed to recognise the need for prevention.
Tray

Plantersville, MS

#104661 Apr 15, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I can honestly say that Australians have never had an interest in owning guns en mass, it is not and never has been of particular interest to the overwhelming majority, and not part of our lifestyle.....it has always been accepted that certain areas used them for their lively hood but it has never been a right to own a gun here for self defense. In short no brainwashing was ever employed, The Port Arthur massacre did shake us awake to the need for gun control, we should give a medal to our government who responded quickly and decisively to the overwhelming outrage and anger "by it's citizens" who demanded something to be done to prevent such a useless loss of life ever occurring again, via polls and the media and we have been secure in believing that we acted on the best interest of the innocents who's lives were lost that day...so you call us cowards, you call us brainwashed, you call us sheep.... but we know we were right then and it saved lives...around 200 a year....maybe that is a help to the families of those who uselessly died that day, that we never became so desensitized that we failed to recognise the need for prevention.
Same exact words used during the witch hunts. Nice to here rational thought from you without the personal attacks. I do see the idea is good but it does have side effects. All I say is there are other options that have yet to be explored without making the public sitting ducks for any person or group wishing to do harm or oppress the people. Crime and people harming each other goes way back in history before guns or even weapons of any type. To think a cure is simply the removal of one tool will not solve the problem. That is simplistic thinking. Reducing just one human harmful action just to create 4x as much elsewhere is not an answer. We must go much deeper than that. The most dangerous weapon on Earth is the human mind. Untill we can address that then everything else is just a bandaid on a heart attack. Education,the entertainment industry, society and the glorification of acts of violence make the problem worse, we must address these. We must teach more morals and personal responsibility to the new generations. In the end we are just animals and there is always going to be the genetic material in place for violence. It is the nature of the beast.

Glandore, Australia

#104662 Apr 15, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> Same exact words used during the witch hunts. Nice to here rational thought from you without the personal attacks. I do see the idea is good but it does have side effects. All I say is there are other options that have yet to be explored without making the public sitting ducks for any person or group wishing to do harm or oppress the people. Crime and people harming each other goes way back in history before guns or even weapons of any type. To think a cure is simply the removal of one tool will not solve the problem. That is simplistic thinking. Reducing just one human harmful action just to create 4x as much elsewhere is not an answer. We must go much deeper than that. The most dangerous weapon on Earth is the human mind. Untill we can address that then everything else is just a bandaid on a heart attack. Education,the entertainment industry, society and the glorification of acts of violence make the problem worse, we must address these. We must teach more morals and personal responsibility to the new generations. In the end we are just animals and there is always going to be the genetic material in place for violence. It is the nature of the beast.
This is not about moral responsibility as a great number of these people are mentally ill, depressed etc, anyone can have a mental illness from a military man, police officer, husband, father etc....a gun in the hands of anyone is a risk because everyone is at risk...and BTW the witch trials was engineered by good hearted law abiding religious folk......

Location hidden

#104663 Apr 15, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not about moral responsibility as a great number of these people are mentally ill, depressed etc, anyone can have a mental illness from a military man, police officer, husband, father etc....a gun in the hands of anyone is a risk because everyone is at risk...and BTW the witch trials was engineered by good hearted law abiding religious folk......
Christopher Dorner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Dorn...
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#104664 Apr 15, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Christopher Dorner
Another one just today.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/dead-appar...

Glandore, Australia

#104665 Apr 15, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Christopher Dorner
Your point if you have one, because what I get from that if such a man can go postal....what about the other 45-50% who have guns, just a thought.

Location hidden

#104666 Apr 15, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Another one just today.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/dead-appar...
have you ever noticed that most of this BS happens in areas of the Country that are mostly or predominantly Liberal in the modern sense of what it means to be liberal.

Location hidden

#104667 Apr 15, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Your point if you have one, because what I get from that if such a man can go postal....what about the other 45-50% who have guns, just a thought.
that is my point I would rather trust myself than trust the cops for protection and only law enforcement having weapons which would be like a police state.

Glandore, Australia

#104668 Apr 15, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> It's pretty hard to support your case when you reduce one crime but multiply another 4x by that reasoning. Violent crime went up 4x in your country after gun control. Burning the witches didn't work.
Firstly the argument is over gun control not general crime and if you bother to check we list all crimes relevant against a victim where America does not...ie rape in Australia ...includes children, homosexual and hetrosexual, it also include all sexual assaults without penetration etc...America does not! So you show your ignorance against all industrial countries with a higher crime than America because they like us follow the system of crime gathering. We also list gun crimes whereby a person committed it in self defence as a crime....You don't!

Glandore, Australia

#104669 Apr 15, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>that is my point I would rather trust myself than trust the cops for protection and only law enforcement having weapons which would be like a police state.
Then maybe you should look up those like yourself that have gone postal with a gun....I believe there are quite a few of you, who were sane one minute or long enough to get a gun or many guns, then at some point down the line, lost the plot and low and behold had a gun or many guns at the ready to kill their spouse their neighbors their friends or other people kids....Tryt ti see it from more than a one eyed point of view and you start to become almost human.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#104670 Apr 15, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>that is my point I would rather trust myself than trust the cops for protection and only law enforcement having weapons which would be like a police state.
The gun control logic is we should disarm the police because a couple of them went berserk.

Glandore, Australia

#104671 Apr 15, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Chill and put another shrimp on barbie ...
He is not an Australian....he is a scumbag paid Topix troll that could be posting from anywhere in the world and does and uses many names with which to incite his audience...ie I am an Australian stiring the pot, so he becomes an Australian to aggravate and annoy..... so he is more likely an American Topix worker because of the past files and posts he accesses to use against the intended victim...on this thread it is anyone opposing the pro gun nutters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Americans spent an estimated $17 billion on amm... 9 min Jim-ca 93
News 'How many more tragedies' asks mayor, after 11-... Tue payme 10
News Appeals court upholds MD assault weapons ban Mar 25 Marauder 204
News Official Heckler And Koch 22Lr Replica Rifles (Jan '10) Mar 25 Say What 6
News Another Second Amendment Appeal Shot-Down by th... Mar 25 Say What 3
News American Outdoor Brands Corp: Time to Move On? Mar 25 Say What 14
30-06 (7.62X63) vs .308 (7.62X51) (Feb '11) Mar 22 Sentry Watch 120
More from around the web