It's the Guns, Stupid

Apr 20, 2007 Full story: Truthdig 103,363

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Full Story

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#103873 Apr 9, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad that your desire for tyrannical usurpation hasn't worked out, eh traitor? You better go run off and lick the tears running down from your 'masters' cheeks.
His government don't go to war on lies and whims, Canada is one country that all (even we) should aspire to be like, they don't go out of their way to interfere in world politics like America and anytime there is something major happening in the world they think....Canadians are so smart and nice, no wonder you are jealous of them.

Perth, Australia

#103879 Apr 9, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
Breaking News, no gun involved
At least 14 hurt in stabbing spree on Texas college campus, authorities say
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/09/17...

That is such terrible news but there is an upside at most if not all, will live to tell the tale, not so with those at Sandy Hook where a gun was used and where all died after being shot multiple times....weighing up the cost..and guns come out ahead.

More breaking news an ex military Serbian male has gone on a rampage and shot and killed at least 12 adults and one child....No survivors.:(

which item was more deadly, I rest my case!
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#103887 Apr 9, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
His government don't go to war on lies and whims, Canada is one country that all (even we) should aspire to be like, they don't go out of their way to interfere in world politics like America and anytime there is something major happening in the world they think....Canadians are so smart and nice, no wonder you are jealous of them.
There is an Oakland, Canada, but I think Spocko is in California.

Perth, Australia

#103888 Apr 9, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an Oakland, Canada, but I think Spocko is in California.
Yes thank you again Teaman, I did see that error, but alas too late to correct it.

Perth, Australia

#103890 Apr 9, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously haven't paid any attention to my posts. I DESPISE what the traitors in my government have done. As does quite a few of my fellow citizens. We The People have NO desire to be global police officers. For it defies the very foundational principles of our nation.
A: Well at least on that point we can agree.
The rest of your presumptuous drooling isn't worthy of response.
A: But an excellent and poignant point none the less, Canada thinks very carefully before it acts and doesn't go to war or cause or inflame any situation if it can be avoided, but they will ekeavor to play their part only when it is deemed absolutely necessary, for that alone we should all be admirers, and aspire to hold such high ideals.

Perth, Australia

#103895 Apr 9, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
The RIGHT to arms is just THAT - a RIGHT. And it is SECURED by We The People's Constitution. The right to travel is NOT secured by We The People's Constitution.
"No state shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and attach a fee to it."--Miller v U.S., U.S. Supreme Court,[319 U.S. 105 (1943).
"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be NO rule making or legislation which would abrogate them."--Miranda v Arizona, U.S. Supreme Court, 384 US 436, 491 (1966).
"There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of this exercise of Constitutional rights."--Snerer v Cullen 481 F. 946.
Again your right to bear arms is NOT an issue here, you are not having the weapons you use to protect your home or kill for food. what is in dispute are the amount, type and need for weapons outside the basics, and a call to register all weapons and tighten background checks that allow gun shows to be much too lenient...and your argument for the use of arsenals for a civilian militia doesn't hold water either, if you bother to give it any real thought, because unless you have access to drones and fighter planes a nuclear arsenal and WMDs in general, your government can and will kick your arse, and they don't need many to ensure this outcome, it is a new world with such advance technology it would make your head spin...so you see how useless your guns are in such a situation....you idea that they somehow will be a deterent to a government hell bent on quelling any piddly uprising, is moot....Government propaganda can divide a nation and your government is excellent at manipulating you, it's people, all they need to tell you is that it is in your best interest or they are seeking revenge on attacks made and you will want war with anyone they tell you to....they are that good..
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#103897 Apr 9, 2013
Spocko wrote:
Why would I want to ban guns, I like guns, I'm an avid target shooter, I'm good at it too, really good ... I want to register guns, just like we register automobiles, now why would anyone object to that since it would take most guns out of the criminal’s hands? The current system prevented 1.7 million gun purchases in the past ten years, that’s a lot of guns. Those rejected buyers had plenty other options because many gun sales don't require a background check. Licensed gun dealers already have to keep records of their gun sales when they conduct a background check, which makes the opposition to the for a registry particularly absurd. As the law stands now the police are not allowed to create a database of guns using data from these records. For the sake of future gun victims, lawmakers should ignore the intense lobbying by the NRA thugs and pass a background-check bill with a very strong requirement for keeping records.
You don't really understand the significance of a federal government controlling education, medical care, the economy, and now, the public with a federal registry of firearms. It is a slow, creeping movement toward a totalitarian government.

Cars are registered in state data banks. It's a state tax.

These two political parties have been playing the Two-Card Monte on the public for quite a while.

Perth, Australia

#103900 Apr 9, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't give my admiration to governments or people. I'll give respect, but only if it is EARNED. And Canada lost my respect when they did their 'gun ban'.
A: But they work.

Self defense is justly called the primary law of nature, so it is not, neither can it be in fact, taken away by the laws of society.”-- William Blackstone, Commentaries on the Laws of England, 1765–1769.
“5. The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject, that I shall at present mention, is that of having arms for their defense, suitable to their condition and degree, and such as are allowed by law. Which is also declared by the same statute ... and is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation, when the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression.
“To vindicate the three primary rights, when actually violated or attacked, the subjects of England are entitled, in the first place, to the regular administration and free course of justice in the courts of law; next, to the right of petitioning the king and parliament for redress of grievances; and, lastly, to the right of having and using arms for self-preservation and defence.”-- William Blackstone, Commentaries on the Laws of England, 1765–1769.
"Those rights, then, which God and nature have established, and are therefore called natural rights, such as are life and liberty, need not the aid of human laws to be more effectually invested in every man than they are; neither do they receive any additional strength when declared by the municipal [or state] laws to be inviolable. On the contrary, no human legislation has power to abridge or destroy them...."-- William Blackstone, Commentaries on the Laws of England, 1765–1769.
A: As I have stated before laws can be got around or tweaked, and it is necessary for this to happen in a changing world, laws can be toughened and altered for the betterment of society....and that is what counts...it still does in no way effect the second amendment or your rights to do this....and these laws were written when god was a boy and nothing stays stagnant.

Perth, Australia

#103901 Apr 9, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't really understand the significance of a federal government controlling education, medical care, the economy, and now, the public with a federal registry of firearms. It is a slow, creeping movement toward a totalitarian government.
Cars are registered in state data banks. It's a state tax.
These two political parties have been playing the Two-Card Monte on the public for quite a while.
Well most people call certain states in Australia nanny states where the states and not the federal government has the last say, they ban smoking( even though it is legal) yet they allow your dogs at a open air cafe next to children and food.... they put signs up everywhere, we have more road rules than you can poke a stick at which often can get on your nerves, but that is what happens in a society at peace...they have nothing to fight for so they fight for the things the regard are hurting their ability to live in safety and at peace and it starts with health.....weapons, smoking alcohol speeding etc....it is the natural way of finding a common ground for everyone to sit and enjoy it....it is not always fair to some but it is in the best interest of all....you must adapt...that is how we evolve....whether we are forced to pay more to drive a gas guzzler or pay more for a seat if you are bigger or make the fast food people put labels on their food...everyone is buggered by one or more of this nonsense but as long as it is for our best interests most can deal with it, even if it is not in theirs....society needs rules and must change accordingly....so is it the government that cause your woes or your states local councils etc?
AnnAgain

Oakland, CA

#103903 Apr 9, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
The RIGHT to arms is just THAT - a RIGHT. And it is SECURED by We The People's Constitution. The right to travel is NOT secured by We The People's Constitution.
"No state shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and attach a fee to it."--Miller v U.S., U.S. Supreme Court,[319 U.S. 105 (1943).
"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be NO rule making or legislation which would abrogate them."--Miranda v Arizona, U.S. Supreme Court, 384 US 436, 491 (1966).
"There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of this exercise of Constitutional rights."--Snerer v Cullen 481 F. 946.
The Second Amendment has been voided by history and was never in place for any of the reasons the NRA, any senator or congressman has given as a reason for opposing sensible gun regulation since Reconstruction. Besides, the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with gun-control in a modern society!
Firearms exist to manage situations where rationality has failed, so thinking rationally about them can be hard if not impossible. That's why it is so difficult to argue with most gun-rights advocates – they are not rational. They're a bunch of scared people, led by the NRA, frightened of the world and their ability to manage it. I'm not talking about people who hunt or enjoy target practice; I'm talking about the cult of maximum firepower types. Guns that exist for the sole purpose of killing large numbers of people as rapidly as possible have no place in public hands and should be banned or, at least, left at the shooting range! if you can’t agree with that, well ... you got some serious mental issues!
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#103904 Apr 9, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Well most people call certain states in Australia nanny states where the states and not the federal government has the last say, they ban smoking( even though it is legal) yet they allow your dogs at a open air cafe next to children and food.... they put signs up everywhere, we have more road rules than you can poke a stick at which often can get on your nerves, but that is what happens in a society at peace...they have nothing to fight for so they fight for the things the regard are hurting their ability to live in safety and at peace and it starts with health.....weapons, smoking alcohol speeding etc....it is the natural way of finding a common ground for everyone to sit and enjoy it....it is not always fair to some but it is in the best interest of all....you must adapt...that is how we evolve....whether we are forced to pay more to drive a gas guzzler or pay more for a seat if you are bigger or make the fast food people put labels on their food...everyone is buggered by one or more of this nonsense but as long as it is for our best interests most can deal with it, even if it is not in theirs....society needs rules and must change accordingly....so is it the government that cause your woes or your states local councils etc?
Everything you mentioned are state and local laws. That's fine. The people have direct control over their state governments. If the people of a state don't object to what their state legislators do, it's on them. There is virtually no control over the federal government, yours or mine. They can pretty much do as they please.

You mentioned best interests. Who determines what your best interests are? Is it really for your best interests? Isn't one capable of determining their own best interests?

My state is the definition of a nanny state.:-)

http://www.dailypaul.com/279884/americans-lea...

New Jersey is third from the bottom of the least freest states. Unemployment is 9.6%. The freest state, least government, North Dakota, unemployment 3%.

Since: Feb 13

United States

#103905 Apr 9, 2013
If someone at that university would of had a gun I wonder how far that knife freak would had gotten?

United States

#103906 Apr 9, 2013
My state just passed a law to go in effect july 1st, any citizen without a criminal record (felony) and 18 years of age or older can now carry a concealed weapon.
Damn, I love the south!

United States

#103907 Apr 9, 2013
Spocko wrote:
Why would I want to ban guns, I like guns, I'm an avid target shooter, I'm good at it too, really good ... I want to register guns, just like we register automobiles, now why would anyone object to that since it would take most guns out of the criminal’s hands? The current system prevented 1.7 million gun purchases in the past ten years, that’s a lot of guns. Those rejected buyers had plenty other options because many gun sales don't require a background check. Licensed gun dealers already have to keep records of their gun sales when they conduct a background check, which makes the opposition to the for a registry particularly absurd. As the law stands now the police are not allowed to create a database of guns using data from these records. For the sake of future gun victims, lawmakers should ignore the intense lobbying by the NRA thugs and pass a background-check bill with a very strong requirement for keeping records.
You liberals are lost as an easter egg. You just said registering guns would take the guns out of the hands of the criminals. You looney toone! The criminals buy their guns off the street, steal them. Only law abideing citizens will register.
Damn, you liberals are really out there in left field arent you?
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#103908 Apr 9, 2013
AnnAgain wrote:
<quoted text>
The Second Amendment has been voided by history and was never in place for any of the reasons the NRA, any senator or congressman has given as a reason for opposing sensible gun regulation since Reconstruction. Besides, the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with gun-control in a modern society!
Firearms exist to manage situations where rationality has failed, so thinking rationally about them can be hard if not impossible. That's why it is so difficult to argue with most gun-rights advocates – they are not rational. They're a bunch of scared people, led by the NRA, frightened of the world and their ability to manage it. I'm not talking about people who hunt or enjoy target practice; I'm talking about the cult of maximum firepower types. Guns that exist for the sole purpose of killing large numbers of people as rapidly as possible have no place in public hands and should be banned or, at least, left at the shooting range! if you can’t agree with that, well ... you got some serious mental issues!
The same thing was said about the new modern Germany the last century.

The use of firearms are state regulated. The second amendment, or the right to keep and bear arms, is in place to protect us [from] government. You want the very people that the 2nd amendment is to protect us from to take it away?
Teaman

Mount Holly, NJ

#103909 Apr 9, 2013
crawlfish wrote:
My state just passed a law to go in effect july 1st, any citizen without a criminal record (felony) and 18 years of age or older can now carry a concealed weapon.
Damn, I love the south!
Me to.:-)

United States

#103910 Apr 9, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Me to.:-)
You're welcome to move on down here guy. We aint bad people, just talk slow and take life easy. Come on, any fellow gun owner/supporter is more then welcome.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#103911 Apr 9, 2013
crawlfish wrote:
<quoted text>You liberals are lost as an easter egg. You just said registering guns would take the guns out of the hands of the criminals. You looney toone! The criminals buy their guns off the street, steal them. Only law abideing citizens will register.
Damn, you liberals are really out there in left field arent you?
Get off the hooch and get your teeth fixed moron, registered guns will not end up in the streets as they are precisely monitored. Obviously guns presently outside of the law can not be traced so the sooner we start the better!

United States

#103913 Apr 9, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Get off the hooch and get your teeth fixed moron, registered guns will not end up in the streets as they are precisely monitored. Obviously guns presently outside of the law can not be traced so the sooner we start the better!
You dont think a registered gun can be stolen?
LMAO
You liberals are a barrel of laughs, have you thought about writeing comedy?
Oh, the no teeth hillbilly scenero, cant you come up with something a little more original?
Thats like me saying get that dick out of your mouth. After all, california is a queer state.
You're liveing proof that when god created the world he gave it one last shake, and everything 'lose' rolled into california.
The ADES OF MARCH Bashers

Portland, OR

#103915 Apr 9, 2013
crawlfish wrote:
<quoted text>.
We said:

No Ades Bender coward, yellow belly, piss weak wimp, liar, makeup artiste supreme falsifier, fraud, lowlife poltroon, gutless lily-livered pansy weakling Dufus Futwit Stupif sock and puppet "non desirable elements on topix" are acceptable to us.

DESIST IMMEDIATELY FROM ANY FURTHER POSTING.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AK-47s, Now Made in AmericaBy Cliff Schecter 22 hr Here Is One 5
Women Continue To Line Up For Concealed Carry P... 22 hr Here Is One 1
ILLEGALS-Unions AGAINST AMERICANS Fri ILLEGALS-UNIONS-v... 1
Illinois Cops: Concealed Carry Law A 'Non-Event... Fri SSG MP American Joe 3
Kahr PM40 problems (Apr '06) Thu mike_lance 187
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) Jan 20 Here Is One 12,165
Kahr CW40 PROBLEM (Dec '08) Jan 16 Cyrus5590 47
More from around the web