It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103293 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Vizhnu

Noida, India

#103534 Apr 5, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Sagging tits, mmmm can't get females off your mind ninog, no wonder you hump your mother and sisters. Eat that pork it will fill your belly and take your mind off your brothers, you don't want to go there...nom nom
hhahaha you are funny ninog... I never hear this word before. The pork is making you invent new words. The pork has made you think you are in an imaginary world.

Since: Dec 10

North Adelaide, Australia

#103535 Apr 5, 2013
Vizhnu wrote:
<quoted text>
hhahaha you are funny ninog... I never hear this word before. The pork is making you invent new words. The pork has made you think you are in an imaginary world.
LOL. You can't use it on me silly, it looses it's affect, you really should learn your audience and Aussie slang wash up...
Vizhnu

Noida, India

#103537 Apr 5, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. You can't use it on me silly, it looses it's affect, you really should learn your audience and Aussie slang wash up...
English is enough.
I dont want to learn pork slang.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#103538 Apr 5, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
Cont: Every story about an accidental shooting is repeated again and again on the media, while a thousand stories about lives saved by defensive gun uses never see the light of day in most newspapers and tv newscast.
A: Of course any death especially a massacre of children with be reported over and over....these victims are dead!...It is important that these horrific tales of lost lives, by a/or many persons with an arsenal be told as many times as it takes, because is the shame we should bear, and it takes more than this type of in your face reporting to get through the thick skin of some of you.... This isn't someone robbing your home or running over your foot, there is no tomorrow for them(what could anyone possible do to warrant such treatment and then have it followed up by an indefensive gun stance from the NRA and their supporters?)....these people are dead,fini, murdered, and innocent, they were shot to death often multiple times at close range, through no fault of their own, in a place that should have proffered them safety and freedom....Do you gun supporters live in the real world?
More children die of bathtub accidents then shooting accidents, but you would never know that by listing to the tv or reading the newspapers. Some in the media inflate the number of children killed by counting as children the number of criminal teenage gang members killing each other in turf fights.
A: This is what we have come to expect from gun supporters, lies in the face of murder....denial and excuses for the ownership of guns more than the lives taken from shootings.
Many seize upon statistics that show britian has stronger gun control laws then the u.s. and lower murder rates. Yet they ignor other countries that also have stricter gun control the america, but which has much higher murder rates, such as brazil, mexico, and russia.
A: Again you have not stated the facts as they exist.
America is the greatest obstacle in Mexico dealing with drug cartells and the mass murders they commit....American guns and ammo are the predominant weapons illegally crossing the border into a country fighting hard to bring these cartells to bear...
Today virtually the entire population of law abiding citizens in britan are disarmed--and gun crimes are steadily on the rise, as is murder.
A: Explain that to one to me then yourself, with factual evidence where guns are restricted, yet more and more people are getting shot....where are these guns coming from...they can't be legal so who is bringing them in or how and why? Gun restrictions do work and there are many countries that are proof of this...
Gun control makes crime a more safer occupation when the victims are unarmed.
The gun control cusade today is much like the prohibition crusade of a hundred years ago. It is a shared zealotry that binds the self rightious know-it-alls (people like ahomana) in a warm fellowship of those who see themselves as fighting the forces of evil. It is a lofty role that they are not about to give up for anything so mudane as facts---or even the lives of other people.
A: Here comes the paranoia straight from the gun owners manual...State anywhere where the government has taken your weapon the one you keep at home, where they have walked in and physically removed that gun and so now you have none...show me this...they haven't nor have they removed the law stating that you have a right to have it...so live your life of paranoid fear as that is all you have to cling on to because the government isn't knocking your door down to rob your of your weapon to protect your wife and your kids or go out and kill your own meat.....IT IS ALL IN YOUR FECKIN' HEAD!
Be informed
http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/home
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#103539 Apr 5, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Think again if that is possible, alcohol is strictly controlled and is most certainly banned, or prohibited by age, by location and even by geography. The unlawful manufacture, distribution, possession, use or sale of alcohol, or underage consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited and enforced in every state of the Union!
You were talking about the decline of drunk driving incidents. Those controls were in place before the decline. A more strict enforcement of drunk driving laws brought the accidents down.

Under age laws never stopped me when I was under aged.:-)

It's only the sale of alcohol that gets involved. One can bring their own bottle to a non licensed restaurant here. People make their own wine and beer also.

#103541 Apr 5, 2013
Vizhnu wrote:
<quoted text>
English is enough.
I dont want to learn pork slang.
It is English, dish washer....just localised.

#103542 Apr 5, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite, dolt. Still have my arms, free speech, and free to travel anywhere. How about you? Yeah, I didn't think so.
Oh no, I thought the way you were dramatising the government theft of your rights to own a gun, that you had lost them already....so it was you just being a loud mouthed yankee do dah...1) Your guns were never in any danger or your rights noong....
2)You yanks wouldn't know what free speech was if it bit you on the arse....
3) Not even Aussies are free to travel everywhere and people love us..... you on the other hand are the most hated nation of arrogant liars in the world, even in some of the western countries, so go test out that theory of yours and see how far you get before someone realises you are a yank and shoots you... best make a will "before" you leave...

#103543 Apr 5, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Be informed
http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/home
Thanks Spocko, I shall endeavor to take that on board.
Vizhnu

Noida, India

#103544 Apr 5, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
It is English, dish washer....just localised.
Its silly fat woman pork English.
colt45

Park Orchards, Australia

#103552 Apr 5, 2013
Proud Misogynist wrote:
STFU you f*cking idiots!
If you wanna chat about this stupid american sh*t, then go chat on an american forum!
100,000 posts about this stupid sh*t? Are you serious?!
MEN > women
you go and chat about cricket or how boring and lame australia is
colt45

Park Orchards, Australia

#103553 Apr 5, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
How about next time nations like the Japanese and Germans attack, we just sit it out then? Let's see what the rest of the world thinks then, shall we?
when war starts americans should not defend australia let those cowards die

#103554 Apr 5, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
How about next time nations like the Japanese and Germans attack, we just sit it out then? Let's see what the rest of the world thinks then, shall we?
You did that for the first two years of that war as you watched your British brothers get almost anhialated, and if the japs hadn't bombed Pearl Harbor, you would have watched Britain fall, so don't make out that you did anyone any favours there, everything you did, you did for yourselves and we haven't forgotten that you sat sipping coffee while the British needed your help they asked for man power and you sent arms...not much good if there is noone to fire them eh!.......Onyer yanks way to take care of yourselves and keep trading with Germany while they were pummeling your allies. The one thing about the Brits and Aussies, is we both have very long memories.
colt45

Park Orchards, Australia

#103555 Apr 5, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You did that for the first two years of that war as you watched your British brothers get almost anhialated, and if the japs hadn't bombed Pearl Harbor, you would have watched Britain fall, so don't make out that you did anyone any favours there, everything you did, you did for yourselves and we haven't forgotten that you sat sipping coffee while the British needed your help they asked for man power and you sent arms...not much good if there is noone to fire them eh!.......Onyer yanks way to take care of yourselves and keep trading with Germany while they were pummeling your allies. The one thing about the Brits and Aussies, is we both have very long memories.
The one thing about the Brits and Aussies they both waiting to be dead

#103556 Apr 5, 2013
R-12 Freon wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like a pretty good chance of that happening, being how fast the U.S. is being destroyed.
A: Well maybe if it started showing a little respect to other nations...yada yada.
Ahomana, Australia is a sittin duck. You have no weapons of mass destruction, nukes. Although the ADF does have sophisticated military hardware, there is very little of it and a standing army of less than 100,000 personnel and a citizenry unarmed.
A: And you think that makes a difference, you idiots start firing nukes around and it won't matter what anyone has...you are so silly....
I'm guessing your pretty proud of that and feel real safe because of it.
A: Countries that own nukes make me feel unsafe because there have been so many close shaves...we don't need any more countries with nukes...just two that have them and shoot them off will clear all of us out....
The only problem is those in the world who do have nukes or armed countrymen and want what you have, and the balls to do it,,will.
A: No, moron, no....I want you all to pull your heads in and stand down all your nuke programs, because NONE OF YOU can win!......are you right in the head there Pacha. Once one is fired from wherever NONE OF YOU CAN PREDICT THE OUTCOME...NO ONE!.....
In a stand alone fight I don't think you'd come out on top. Modern history shows over and over again when a country's gov't either turns on the people or those people who have no way to defend themselves and what happens to them. That's reality.

A; ROTFLMFAO, because I am so much smarter than any of you idiots that believe in a nuclear war there will be a winner....Australia doesn't need or want them because if and when that happens we....ALL OF US EVERYWHERE will be dead...whether you die in the first blast or are killed by the lack of sun...and radiation....we will be dead.....And there are more than enough bombs to ensure this happens without us spending a brass razzoo...not that we would want to...we are actually one of the few countries trying to save the planet and it's inhabitants...you silly fool.

#103557 Apr 5, 2013
colt45 wrote:
<quoted text>The one thing about the Brits and Aussies they both waiting to be dead
How so?

#103558 Apr 6, 2013
colt45 wrote:
<quoted text>you go and chat about cricket or how boring and lame australia is
You are the cowards you cheat, lie, use propaganda to murder innocent people...and not one of you idiots have the compassion for the 17 people the soldier murdered in their beds in Afghanistan or bring to justice ALL the soldiers that committed the rapes and the murders of children and women and old men in My Lei....or the rapes and murders committed by your brave soldiers on foreign bases.... you Americans aren't cowards you are too stupid to be anything but animals.....Aussies soldiers are average people who have put on a uniform, unlike Americans it does not miraculously change them into unfeeling uncaring h scum.
colt45

Park Orchards, Australia

#103559 Apr 6, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like a pretty good chance of that happening, being how fast the U.S. is being destroyed.
A: Well maybe if it started showing a little respect to other nations...yada yada.
Ahomana, Australia is a sittin duck. You have no weapons of mass destruction, nukes. Although the ADF does have sophisticated military hardware, there is very little of it and a standing army of less than 100,000 personnel and a citizenry unarmed.
A: And you think that makes a difference, you idiots start firing nukes around and it won't matter what anyone has...you are so silly....
I'm guessing your pretty proud of that and feel real safe because of it.
A: Countries that own nukes make me feel unsafe because there have been so many close shaves...we don't need any more countries with nukes...just two that have them and shoot them off will clear all of us out....
The only problem is those in the world who do have nukes or armed countrymen and want what you have, and the balls to do it,,will.
A: No, moron, no....I want you all to pull your heads in and stand down all your nuke programs, because NONE OF YOU can win!......are you right in the head there Pacha. Once one is fired from wherever NONE OF YOU CAN PREDICT THE OUTCOME...NO ONE!.....
In a stand alone fight I don't think you'd come out on top. Modern history shows over and over again when a country's gov't either turns on the people or those people who have no way to defend themselves and what happens to them. That's reality.
A; ROTFLMFAO, because I am so much smarter than any of you idiots that believe in a nuclear war there will be a winner....Australia doesn't need or want them because if and when that happens we....ALL OF US EVERYWHERE will be dead...whether you die in the first blast or are killed by the lack of sun...and radiation....we will be dead.....And there are more than enough bombs to ensure this happens without us spending a brass razzoo...not that we would want to...we are actually one of the few countries trying to save the planet and it's inhabitants...you silly fool.
shut your stupid british when someone pulls gun on you will shit you pants

#103560 Apr 6, 2013
colt45 wrote:
<quoted text>
shut your stupid british when someone pulls gun on you will shit you pants
ROTFLMFAO, is that why you make so many shoot em up movies, because you haven't got the guts to face up man to man...you weak bastard...Go crawl back into your hole and stop running off at the mouth, you Yanks aren't called loud mouths for nothing eh!...

#103561 Apr 6, 2013
colt45 wrote:
<quoted text>when war starts americans should not defend australia let those cowards die
You wouldn't need to if you didn't start them....
colt45

Park Orchards, Australia

#103562 Apr 6, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
How so?
i ain't trippin off a thing cause my gun goes bang

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LAX Ammo Photo Contest/Giveaway! 3 hr SummerBB8 1
News The news media love America. The government, no... Wed Erl 59
Taurus Gaucho Revolver (May '06) Sep 16 Senb12 29
News Lawyer: 'Pharma Bro' joking about bounty for Cl... Sep 13 Jeff Brightone 2
News Ryan Blocking Concealed Carry Reciprocity, Cong... Sep 11 FormerParatrooper 1
News D.C. Requests Hearing on Protection of Second A... Sep 10 Lou Posey 3
News SCOTUS Asked to Review Ninth Circuit Decision o... Sep 9 FormerParatrooper 2
More from around the web