It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

The Ades Busters

Tempe, AZ

#103270 Mar 30, 2013
crawlfish wrote:
DELETED
FOOK OFF Stupif LUNATIC IMPOSTOR ID & content THIEF.

http://tinyurl.com/bvlk4x4

Since: Dec 10

Brunswick, Australia

#103271 Mar 30, 2013
Sir Bucking Fastard wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the 50 plus million Kulaks who were murdered by the Soviets? They had been disarmed.
What about the 80 plus million Chines peasants who were murdered by the Chinese communists? They too had been conveniently disarmed before hand.
What about those killing fields in Cambodia, where the peasants had disarmed, and then murdered by the hundreds of thousands?
What's more acceptable to you: A few murders a year, or several million a year?
I doubt that many if any of those people even had anything that remotely resembled a gun, in order for them to be disarmed in the first place, one must have a weapon and I can't see Chinese peasants or Vietnamese etc affording such weapons as you claim were taken from them...clutching at straws much....And even Russian soldiers went to war without weapons and relied on getting one as the soldier in front of them fell?
Ranger75

North Hollywood, CA

#103273 Mar 30, 2013
amazed wrote:
Some idiotic nra member said it wouldnt have happened if all the students had guns. Try tell me that aint brainless.
Hey, I would love to tell you that. Would you listen?

Since Life is so simple, and solutions are so cut and dried in your mind; why don't you run for office. Truth does not seem to have any effect on you, so you are uniquely qualified for politics..
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#103275 Mar 31, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt that many if any of those people even had anything that remotely resembled a gun, in order for them to be disarmed in the first place, one must have a weapon and I can't see Chinese peasants or Vietnamese etc affording such weapons as you claim were taken from them...clutching at straws much....And even Russian soldiers went to war without weapons and relied on getting one as the soldier in front of them fell?
You doubt ... Yet you provide NOT A THING which would tend to support your suppositions.

So, I shall put THIS question to you: HOW MANY Kulak families WEREN'T armed, when the Soviet forces took over?

How many Chinese WEREN'T armed when the Chinese Communists took over?

How many Cambodians WEREN'T armed when Pol Pot took over?

Finally, what YOU think to be the proper price for a gun, in no way determines that cost everywhere else. In fact, there are gunsmiths in Pakistan, India, and Afghanistan (and other places in that region) who can copy just any firearm with a degree of accuracy, and reliability which would simply astound you! And they'll do that for FAR less than you might expect.

Remember: They are working to stay alive, and NOT to make 'killing' in the marketplace.

So you, by your very remarks, reveal an astonishing degree of IGNORANCE on the matter!

In fact, I'm inclined to say that you come off as being an inveterate communist yourself, what with your dismissal of facts revealed otherwise.

Yes: YOU engage in WHOLESALE PROPAGANDA!
Punjabi raj

Trivandrum, India

#103276 Mar 31, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
hahahaha you watch too many movies. You saw Russian gun thing on the movie "Enemy at the gates" with jude law and now you think its real. hahahahaha typical dumb aussie iditot.
Punjabi raj

Trivandrum, India

#103279 Mar 31, 2013
MalbarCACA Controllers wrote:
<quoted text>
GO AWAY.
go smell your buttocks
hubbub

Pittsburgh, PA

#103281 Mar 31, 2013
youtube.com/watch... …… Lets Get Ugly Seriously
I'll buy more Assault Weapons
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#103284 Mar 31, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> No it wouldn't. The LARGEST attack with the highest body count on a school didn't involve a gun. The Bath School disaster is the historical name of the violent attack perpetrated by Andrew Kehoe on May 18, 1927 in Bath Township, Michigan that killed 38 elementary school children and 6 adults, and injured at least 58 other people. Kehoe first killed his wife, fire-bombed his farm and set off a major explosion in the Bath Consolidated School, before committing suicide by detonating a final explosion in his truck. It is the deadliest mass murder in a school in United States history. Humans wanting to kill humans ALWAYS find a way. However removing the ability to defend a group or area sure helps the attacker.
Get real moron, what the hell has that got to do with guns and gun safty?
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#103286 Mar 31, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Get real moron, what the hell has that got to do with guns and gun safty?
What the hell is 'gun safty'?
Is that some kind of spice added to ammunition?
I've heard of gun lube, gun cleaner, gun oil, and gun grease. But never before have I ever heard of 'gun safty.'
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#103287 Mar 31, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't use the power of reason much, do you?
If he did, it would 'overpower' him!
;-)
british gun law

Australia

#103289 Mar 31, 2013
It's illegal to carry a gun in Australia?
The Crimes Act:

93G Causing danger with firearm or spear gun
(1) Any person who:
(a) possesses a loaded firearm or loaded spear gun:
(i) in a public place, or
(ii) in any other place so as to endanger the life of any other person, or
(b) fires a firearm or spear gun in or near a public place, or
(c) carries or fires a firearm or spear gun in a manner likely to injure, or endanger the
safety of, himself or herself or any other person or any property, or with disregard for
the safety of himself or herself or any other person,
is liable to imprisonment for 10 years.
british gun law

Australia

#103290 Mar 31, 2013
Before i get proven wrong, here is another question. What is the point of registering for a gun if you're not allowed to carry in out in public places.Are you supposed to keep it at home or something

The first line "causing danger"... is a title of the section. If they wanted to explicitly mean 'only people causing danger' wouldn't they expand on that a little? It's too subtle

If you look at it carefully, it says 'or' which means you only have to fill in one of the three criteria, so fulfilling 1a is enough to be fined? 1a simply states that it is an offence to carry a loaded gun in public

So the bottom line is this law only sounds ridiculous to me because I don't know the tough process of trying to obtain being authorized to have a gun, or own a registered gun in the first place? Like, only police and civil servants are allowed to have guns most of the time?

I'm only worrying about guns because I'm studying this aspect of law in my course at uni, not genuinely worried about my well-being. Although i do wish pepper spray was legal- being a girl

For example, if some drunk guy walks up to you and threatens you, you aren't allowed to punch him in the face.

If some drunk guy walks up to you and pulls out a knife, you are allowed to punch him in the face, because you are using lesser force than he is.

I don't think it's about the extent of the force which makes it legal. It's a test about whether you or a reasonable person would perceive the threat to be of such a nature as to constitute self defence.
Punjabi raj

Trivandrum, India

#103291 Mar 31, 2013
british can stick their gun up their buttocks holes and shoot.
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#103292 Mar 31, 2013
Punjabi raj wrote:
british can stick their gun up their buttocks holes and shoot.
I would suggest the very same thing for yourself, but your cranium is up there to your shoulders!
:-))

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Beaumaris, Australia

#103298 Mar 31, 2013
WOW!!

Posts don't often get ignored as urgently as this one was!!lol!

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/australia/TI...

Here it is again:
----------

THAT'S IT FOLKS!!

If you have any guns that you shouldn't have just hand them over to the Police. As a trusted agency they will keep the community safe!:)

http://tinyurl.com/d2bttap

"We're from the government. We're here to help you".

----------

The point of this post was to call into question the presumption that guns surrendered to, or seized by Police agencies are thereafter rendered out of reach of persons unfit to possess guns.

Immediately after the Port Arthur massacre a report began gaining traction that at least one, and possibly both of the high-performance guns used by Martin Bryant had been previously relinquished at a Police-conducted gun amnesty by a law-abiding prior owner. Thereafter according to reports instead of being crushed those guns found their way back into circulation.

If so, then the implications and ramifications of such an occurrence point to an era when Police Corruption enquiries were already making headlines, as they do from time to time.

Needless to say, the prospect of 35 homicides and dozens maimed for exchange of "Thirty Pieces Of Silver" at some State-run Armory is not only horrendous, but cannot be ruled out.

In subsequent years more reports have surfaced from time to time of "leakages" from various arms repositories, supposedly secured by Government instrumentalities.

Yet don't hold your breath waiting for mainstream media to front-page these lapses unless you're in the business of turning blue for a hobby.

Bottom line is: while all the persecution of law-abiding gun owners flourishes apace, meanwhile our illustrious authorities' will and capacity to 'keep up their end of the bargain' give cause for doubt repeatedly.
The Sewraj Bashers

Tempe, AZ

#103299 Mar 31, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
DELETED
This poster is a FRAUD, IMPOSTOR, USURPER, IDENTITY and MATERIAL THIEF and DERANGED MANIAC.

Not only has he shamefully stolen our identity but all his posts have been purloined from our posts in the Australian forum.

The extent of his mental retardation and disturbance can be observed through these threads posted in the Mauritian forum:

As Beady has a yellow mane Footscray, Australia:
Beady is gone!
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/mauritius/TU...

As The switchers Footscray, Australia
SWITCH SWITCH Mauritius
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/mauritius/TT...

SWITCH SWITCH Macedonia
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/macedonia/T2...

Other aliases used:
Carlsberg Guy Footscray, Australia
Derpy Hooves Footscray, Australia
Kilo kilobit man Footscray, Australia
Fluttershy Footscray, Australia
Chinkbusters Footscray, Australia
Brony killer Footscray, Australia
Memebase Footscray, Australia
MIKBIK Footscray, Australia
TAIBIX Footscray, Australia
UJIK Footscray, Australia
hAMKELAKAT RAXIKIK Footscray, Australia
lAKREKSAT Footscray, Australia
lARMENIKI Footscray, Australia
TABEIXU Footscray, Austral
nUMGOIGI Footscray, Australia
TEKGSBPUT Footscray, Australia
GAEBIL OSULI Footscray, Australia
nazi Footscray, Australia
HELLTAMIMOTKYOHK O3KYANCUT CHETNGUEXIM4CUOT ANC3KYPHU FQUYTCHETEXIM4CUO TANC3KYP QUYTCHETEXIM4CUO TANC3KYP Beady has a yellow mane QUYTCHETNGUEXIM4CUOTANKYP the Switchers HELLTAMIMOTKYOHK O3KYANCUT CYCLORACHCNGUEXI MCUOTANCPTEAM - using many other similar names and many proxy locations in the Vietnamese and Japanese Forums.

He is part of a group of MalbarCACA (IndoMauritian) posters whom we have named the Benders who use the registered user names - Neville Thompson ( http://www.topix.com/member/profile/nevilleth... ), The ADELAIDEAN ( http://www.topix.com/member/profile/theadelai... ) as well as many other Indian posters scattered around the globe but concentrated in Australia, the UK, US and Mauritius.

We have named him the Adelaidean Footscray, Australia MalbarCACA coward Bender BASTARD

And

IndoMauritian ti pilon IMPOSTOR, IDENTITY THIEF, PLAGERIZER (ID #2 hide myASS! Beady has a yellow mane Derpy Hooves Carlsberg Guy
Rainbow Dash Australia the greater of many evils Switchers ADELAIDEANs)?

Ignore all his posts or report them for abuse to Topix. Better still respond as follows:

Adelaidean Footscray, Australia MalbarCACA coward Bender BASTARD IMPOSTOR, IDENTITY THIEF, PLAGERIZE, SPAMMER, REAL AGITATOR,
TROUBLEMAKER, SmellyARSIE HINDUSTINK TRANNY, PIMP, NONCE, SHEMAlE FUCKTURD DANCING LADYBOY and TOPIX PAID TROLL you are exposed.

FUKINGAYHOMOSEXUAL MalbarCACA Bacha Bazi Dancing RentBoy FOOK OFF back to your STINKY SHITCACAHOLE forum and never return.

Now FOOK OFF.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Beaumaris, Australia

#103300 Mar 31, 2013
The Sewraj Bashers wrote:
<quoted text>
This poster is a FRAUD,
[ DEFAMATION TRASHED ]
You have deployed this copy-paste over 50 times in the last couple of weeks beady, obstructing legitimate discussion with self-serving ad hominem.

http://tinyurl.com/beadyssuperiors

The Sewraj Bashers

Henderson, NV

#103302 Mar 31, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
You have deployed this copy-paste over 50 times in the last couple of weeks beady, obstructing legitimate discussion with self-serving ad hominem.
http://tinyurl.com/beadyssuperiors

Reply »
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
3 min ago

The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
DELETED

This poster is a FRAUD, IMPOSTOR, USURPER, IDENTITY and MATERIAL THIEF and DERANGED MANIAC.

Not only has he shamefully stolen our identity but all his posts have been purloined from our posts in the Australian forum.

The extent of his mental retardation and disturbance can be observed through these threads posted in the Mauritian forum:

As Beady has a yellow mane Footscray, Australia:
Beady is gone!
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/mauritius/TU ...

SWITCH SWITCH Mauritius
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/mauritius/TT ...

SWITCH SWITCH Macedonia
http://www.topix.com/forum/world/macedonia/T2 ...

Other aliases used:
Carlsberg Guy Footscray, Australia
Derpy Hooves Footscray, Australia
Kilo kilobit man Footscray, Australia
Fluttershy Footscray, Australia
Chinkbusters Footscray, Australia
Brony killer Footscray, Australia
Memebase Footscray, Australia
MIKBIK Footscray, Australia
TAIBIX Footscray, Australia
UJIK Footscray, Australia
hAMKELAKAT RAXIKIK Footscray, Australia
lAKREKSAT Footscray, Australia
lARMENIKI Footscray, Australia
TABEIXU Footscray, Austral
nUMGOIGI Footscray, Australia
TEKGSBPUT Footscray, Australia
GAEBIL OSULI Footscray, Australia
nazi Footscray, Australia
HELLTAMIMOTKYOHK O3KYANCUT CHETNGUEXIM4CUOT ANC3KYPHU FQUYTCHETEXIM4CUO TANC3KYP QUYTCHETEXIM4CUO TANC3KYP Beady has a yellow mane QUYTCHETNGUEXIM4CUOTANKYP the Switchers HELLTAMIMOTKYOHK O3KYANCUT CYCLORACHCNGUEXI MCUOTANCPTEAM - using many other similar names and many proxy locations in the Vietnamese and Japanese Forums.

He is part of a group of MalbarCACA (IndoMauritian) posters whom we have named the Benders who use the registered user names - Neville Thompson ( http://www.topix.com/member/profile/nevilleth ...), The ADELAIDEAN ( http://www.topix.com/member/profile/theadelai ...) as well as many other Indian posters scattered around the globe but concentrated in Australia, the UK, US and Mauritius.

We have named him the Adelaidean Footscray, Australia MalbarCACA coward Bender BASTARD

And

IndoMauritian ti pilon IMPOSTOR, IDENTITY THIEF, PLAGERIZER (ID #2 hide myASS! Beady has a yellow mane Derpy Hooves Carlsberg Guy
Rainbow Dash Australia the greater of many evils Switchers ADELAIDEANs)?

Ignore all his posts or report them for abuse to Topix. Better still respond as follows:

Adelaidean Footscray, Australia MalbarCACA coward Bender BASTARD IMPOSTOR, IDENTITY THIEF, PLAGERIZE, SPAMMER, REAL AGITATOR,
TROUBLEMAKER, SmellyARSIE HINDUSTINK TRANNY, PIMP, NONCE, SHEMAlE FUCKTURD DANCING LADYBOY and TOPIX PAID TROLL you are exposed.

FUKINGAYHOMOSEXUAL MalbarCACA Bacha Bazi Dancing RentBoy FOOK OFF back to your STINKY SHITCACAHOLE forum and never return.

Now FOOK OFF.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#103303 Mar 31, 2013
DavidQ762 wrote:
<quoted text>
Put THIS in your pipe and smoke it:
Here's what has happened in the rest of the world due to 'gun bans'. It covers Australia, Canada, and England gun ban results:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =itthVyjHW9QXX
What a load of bullshit, if 1)this attacker wasn't an ex stalker boyfriend that got off on abusing women ...and 2) the female used some better judgement in choosing boy freinds these type of situations wouldn't occur in the first place. There is also the fact that you fail to solve the source of the problem...ie....the guy was an abusive feckwit, snf she obviously had issues in order to sink that low... BUT what you are clearly saying is, the only way to fix all your social problems is with a gun.....way to go moron.
Sir Bucking Fastard

UK

#103304 Mar 31, 2013
R-12 Freon wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, sounds to me like it's his butt that's sittin on his shoulders....
Why yes, yes! And I do believe that the proper description for his condition is referred to as the 'AssHat' syndrome!
;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Treating Firearms Like We Do Cars? Yeaha Lets D... (Feb '12) 58 min Here Is One 17
News St. Louis Zoo Court Order against the Exercise ... 3 hr True facts 8
Truth About Reloading 3 hr Here Is One 38
News Why assault rifle sales are booming 7 hr okimar 102
News Why are assault weapon sales jumping? Because t... 13 hr Here Is One 47
This is the NRA’s worst nightmare: 14 hr Here Is One 18
News No wedding for Bristol Palin Jun 30 General 39
More from around the web