It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103296 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#102619 Mar 8, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I am twisting nothing. Just using your own analogy to make a point. Which, due to your own ignorance, you are unable to grasp.
<quoted text>
Just because an some white men rode over some land in their wagons for a few weeks, doesn't mean they own the land. Settlers can't own all the land west of the Mississippi. And the NA's were not here "for a few weeks". They had been here FOR CENTURIES.
<quoted text>
You are projecting again. I don't have a bigotted bone in my body.
The Native Americans care.
Another piece of information.

The indians didn't want the settlers land. They wanted their belongings and their kids. Had nothing to do with land. They also derived great pleasure from torturing them. Sick.

They were sociopaths/psychopaths.

Can you relate?
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#102620 Mar 8, 2013
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>" YOU ARE A RACIST" I AM A RACIST. OH well, Regards
Well then. We agree.
downhill246

Delray Beach, FL

#102621 Mar 8, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
We thanks but no thanks....they're are just as nutty as the supporters for the NRA,supporting Romney for President in the last election.....seriously are they all clueless....BTW how did that turn out for them.....oops they didn't get their wish, Obamaface won a second term.....:)

True and as a member of the NRA I want to applaud the president for being named Gun Salesman of the Year for 2012. With his strength, determination and fortitude he could easily repeat and be named Gun Salesman of the Year for 2013. Further,if he could channel his energy and business savvy into the rest of the economy there is no doubt that unemployment would drop as low as four percent causing children to dance, birds to sing, and the lion will lie down with the lamb. Hallelujah, praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#102622 Mar 8, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a scream.
The immigrants bought the land. The wanted a PLOT of land - not everything west of the Mississippi. That is a big difference. indians thought they owned everything. Turned out to be false.
Do you believe the indians owned ALL the land?
How would you divvy up the land? This should be good.
I know, you love everyone and everything because you are as pure as the driven snow.
The native americans care. What do they care about? Can't wait to hear this one.
Put on your thinking cap.
And here is where your IGNORANCE is getting the better of you. The NA's did not understand the concept of "owning" land. To them, how could some person "own" Mother Earth. They had their territories they protected so they could hunt, fish, farm, etc. But they knew they did not "own" the land.

Pure as the driven snow....not by a long shot. Do I love everyone. Nope. I will RESPECT someone until they give me a reason not to. And one thing I refuse to respect is WILLFULL IGNORANCE. And darlin', you are the poster child for it.

What do they care about? Your bigotted racism toward them and your ignorance about their past (which you continue to prove with every post).

Southeast Virginia

#102623 Mar 8, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone offered you money - would you turn it down?
If someone offered me money for nothing, I would first ask why. but one thing I don't do is EXPECT them to give me money, or take advantage of someone else's charity. You freely admit that you leech off your mother simply because you can. Your mother has done you a GREAT diservice by not teaching you how to make it on your own.
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>When you were in the service - the taxpayers paid for your living expenses as well as a paycheck.
I'll be waiting.
So. All part of the contract for my volunteered service. And I EARNED every penny. Something you would know nothing about.

Southeast Virginia

#102624 Mar 8, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Are your friends the indians still whining about how they were mistreated? They need to get over it. They profited from their experience.
Really? How so?(this oughta be good)
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>What would you like to tell me - so I won't be so ignorant?
There are none so blind as those who WOULD NOT see. your willfull ignorance can only be cured BY YOU.
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>What is the difference between the ACTUAL STUDYING OF HISTORY and reading books? Isn't that the same thing? Let me know. One of the books I read (about indians) won a Pulitzer prize.
Wouldn't a dime store novel be fiction? I read non-fiction. I don't read fiction - don't like it.
You are contentious.
I told you before that only the victors get to write the history. You need to look at history from BOTH SIDES in order to learn what actually happened.

Southeast Virginia

#102625 Mar 8, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Another piece of information.
The indians didn't want the settlers land. They wanted their belongings and their kids. Had nothing to do with land. They also derived great pleasure from torturing them. Sick.
They were sociopaths/psychopaths.
Can you relate?
Being neither one of those....no, I can't.

Have you ever heard of psychological warfare? Look it up. If you make the other side fearful of what may happen to them if caught, that gives you a HUGE advantage and can even take away their will to fight.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#102626 Mar 8, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
And here is where your IGNORANCE is getting the better of you. The NA's did not understand the concept of "owning" land. To them, how could some person "own" Mother Earth. They had their territories they protected so they could hunt, fish, farm, etc. But they knew they did not "own" the land.
Pure as the driven snow....not by a long shot. Do I love everyone. Nope. I will RESPECT someone until they give me a reason not to. And one thing I refuse to respect is WILLFULL IGNORANCE. And darlin', you are the poster child for it.
What do they care about? Your bigotted racism toward them and your ignorance about their past (which you continue to prove with every post).
Well.

I find it interesting that YOU are allowed to have your own opinion, but If I have one that differs from yours, I am called names.

Hey, you don't have to respect me. That's up to you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Get it?

You say they were protecting their territories. I'm not sure what you mean by that. How does murdering innocent people have to do with protecting their territories?

Farming? In the west, they followed the buffalo. How could they farm?

I will not get down to your level and call you names. I am too mature for that childish game.

Southeast Virginia

#102627 Mar 8, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
The immigrants bought the land.
Who did they buy it from?
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#102628 Mar 8, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? How so?(this oughta be good)
<quoted text>
There are none so blind as those who WOULD NOT see. your willfull ignorance can only be cured BY YOU.
<quoted text>
I told you before that only the victors get to write the history. You need to look at history from BOTH SIDES in order to learn what actually happened.
I see.

Are YOU looking from BOTH SIDES? Well? You like to contradict yourself I see.

No, anyone can write history. Where are all the books written by indians?

George Custer wrote a book and he wasn't the VICTOR.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#102629 Mar 8, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Who did they buy it from?
I think they bought it from the indians. lalala.
FYI

Denver, CO

#102630 Mar 8, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then. We agree.
Well said. We agree. Regards
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#102631 Mar 8, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Being neither one of those....no, I can't.
Have you ever heard of psychological warfare? Look it up. If you make the other side fearful of what may happen to them if caught, that gives you a HUGE advantage and can even take away their will to fight.
I don't know anything about psychological warfare. I don't play sick games. But you seem to know all about it. I am way too normal. How about you?

Southeast Virginia

#102632 Mar 8, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
And you would be wrong....again.

Southeast Virginia

#102633 Mar 8, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I see.
Are YOU looking from BOTH SIDES? Well? You like to contradict yourself I see.
No, anyone can write history. Where are all the books written by indians?
George Custer wrote a book and he wasn't the VICTOR.
ROFLMAO!!!

It would have been kind of hard for him to right it after his defeat, wouldn't it?

Southeast Virginia

#102634 Mar 8, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well.
I find it interesting that YOU are allowed to have your own opinion, but If I have one that differs from yours, I am called names.
Hey, you don't have to respect me. That's up to you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Get it?
You say they were protecting their territories. I'm not sure what you mean by that. How does murdering innocent people have to do with protecting their territories?
Farming? In the west, they followed the buffalo. How could they farm?
I will not get down to your level and call you names. I am too mature for that childish game.
Nah...you just use condescending phrases like "sucks to be you", "get off your wife's computer", "wife cracking the whip", etc. Yeah...that's real respectful.

Not all NA's lived in the West. Those that lived in the plains were nomadic and followed the buffalo herds. Well, that is until the govt stepped in and herded them all onto reservations (which were mostly shit pieces of land with no buffalo, or much of anything else, like the Black Hills. That is, until gold was discovered there and they took most of that land, too.) Those who lived along the Mississippi River (the entiore middle of the country were fisherman, hunters AND FARMERS.

The settlers were not "innocent people". The were invaders into the NA's ancestrial territories, that had no interest in sharing the land with the NA's. You know....the whole Manifest Destiny thing.

Southeast Virginia

#102635 Mar 8, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know anything about psychological warfare. I don't play sick games. But you seem to know all about it. I am way too normal. How about you?
Yeah...it's called military training. Take away your enemies will to fight (including make them afraid to fight), and the battle is won.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#102636 Mar 8, 2013
Ah........the Black Hills are supposed to be beautiful AND have gold. I can see why the government claimed it. You would have too.

Yes, some of the indians on reservations were ALLOWED to hunt.

Can you imagine the money the government spent on the savages on the reservations? Whatever the accommodations were - they were better than they were used to. Kind of like marrying up?? Your phrase.

The settlers were INNOCENT PEOPLE. They had no idea what they were getting into. They were terrified and for good reason.

It's too bad your family wasn't exposed to the indians. You would feel differently. You haven't shown one ounce of empathy for what they went through.

It sucks to be you came from YOU! You said it first.

Are you willing to show some respect? If you are unwilling, then I am going to leave. I don't need your abuse.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#102637 Mar 8, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah...it's called military training. Take away your enemies will to fight (including make them afraid to fight), and the battle is won.
Is that what you learned in the military? From past experience, has it worked?? No.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#102638 Mar 8, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
To be honest. I may have been wrong.

There is a possibility that the land was free. I can't remember the particulars.

It's good to be honest.

There is not one person on here who isn't trying to deceive. Well, except me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The NRA And The Worst Ad You May Ever See 1 hr okimar 172
News Country singer Scotty McCreery cited for 20 hr Been There Done That 4
News DC Circuit Tosses DC's Concealed Carry Ban 21 hr Mr Manfredgensenden 1
News Should they teach this in schools? 23 hr okimar 1
News Dove Hunting: Think Wires, Water, Treeline Breaks 23 hr okimar 1
News Black Women Picking Up Firearms For Self-Defense 23 hr okimar 1
News Black women picking up firearms for self-defense Tue Laredo 1
More from around the web