It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103311 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#101672 Mar 3, 2013
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
How utterly ridiculous - in what way is that type of response helpful?
It's not helpful...it was pure bullying by the school staff. It's a form of indoctrination of the children by vilifying anything that resembles a gun or used as a gun...like pointing a finger. Any parent that faces this with their child needs to get in the face of the teacher...and the school staff and school board and tell them enough is enough...their bullying tactics are over and will not be tolerated.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#101673 Mar 3, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
This anti-gun attitude and zero tolerance BS has now turned into bullying by school staff and tolerance of student bullying when it suits their agenda. I hope more people will stand up against this BS and get in the face of the teachers...the principle...and the school board that condones this type of action.
If you're not willing to stand up for your own kids...who will you stand up for...?
I just heard a story on Friday about a kid facing a two-day suspension for nibbling his PopTart into the shape of a gun. We are truly doomed.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#101674 Mar 3, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
BS!...that's no lady...that's my wife....
Oh wait...wrong forum...lol...that's no lady...and neither are you.
You are a poor judge of character. Anyone that chooses to live in Arkansas shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion. Case in point -- You.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#101675 Mar 3, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Because no one has ever killed anyone without a gun before.{rolls eyes}
Of course...didn't you see where she said you have to have a gun to be violent...?
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#101676 Mar 3, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
So you support government attacks on its own citizens who are not violating any laws?? Spoken like a true NAZI.
I call it nipping it in the bud. Get THOSE people off the street BEFORE they commit a crime.

Isn't that why you all carry guns?

Nazi? Isn't everyone?
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#101677 Mar 3, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I just heard a story on Friday about a kid facing a two-day suspension for nibbling his PopTart into the shape of a gun. We are truly doomed.
First you shape your pop tart into a gun. Next you buy a gun and then you shoot someone with that gun.

Natural progression.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#101678 Mar 3, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a poor judge of character. Anyone that chooses to live in Arkansas shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion. Case in point -- You.
Arkansas? LOL
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#101679 Mar 3, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not helpful...it was pure bullying by the school staff. It's a form of indoctrination of the children by vilifying anything that resembles a gun or used as a gun...like pointing a finger. Any parent that faces this with their child needs to get in the face of the teacher...and the school staff and school board and tell them enough is enough...their bullying tactics are over and will not be tolerated.
You have a violent temper.

If you get in the face of your childs teacher, your child will never be treated the same. I know you can't help yourself, but have your wife talk to them.

You, little guy, are the bully.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#101680 Mar 3, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the point is - you shouldn't own a gun. Someone gets angry and then someone is dead.
It's just a matter of time before you all shoot each other.
Rollins Eyes....
You didn't answer my question. Do you work for the government?
Interesting...did you know that more murders are committed with blunt objects than murders committed with a rifle...?

Take everything out of the house that you can pickup or swing with one hand...ok..?

Oh wait...did you know that more murders are committed with hands, fists and feet than murders committed with a rifle...?

Starting at birth...every child will have their hands and feet amputated...think that will work...?

After all...it's just a matter of time...right...? Don't we need to do that...to "save the children"...?
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#101681 Mar 3, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I know a few left wingers with guns. What's their excuse?
Smart Alec, I have guns but I don't go around promoting it talking shit how harmless they are!!
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#101682 Mar 3, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that why the rightwingers need guns?
No...those are for sport...hunting...target shooting...fun and relaxation...oh and for defense against those armed and unarmed criminals...because we have that "RIGHT"...not a "need".
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#101683 Mar 3, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text> {shaking head} you just don't get it. You are what is referred to as "willfully ignorant".
<quoted text> How could you be shot? If you had your way, all guns would be banned. Oh that's right....criminals don't follow the law, including those banning guns. My bad.
<quoted text>
Not once.
<quoted text>
They have been so far.
<quoted text>
And that means you can't be trusted.
I can't be trusted? That is one of my good traits. I can be trusted.

No, not ALL guns should be banned. Military and police get to keep theirs. That would be common sense.

As soon as all the whackadoodles started buying guns - murders escalated

50's - little crime

60's - little crime

70's - teeny bit more crime

80's - teeny bit more crime

90's - more crime

2000+- way more crime due to all the weapons being sold.

It's not rocket science.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#101684 Mar 3, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Viewed in context of observations exchanged between Teaman & me & Ahomana ... & massive Spamming imposed in the past 12 hours or so, no.
Nothing stopping you from reading back for yourself & joining the dots. Or does shallowness remain your comfort-zone?
http://tinyurl.com/ctdmf8w
Has anyone told you, you are a gentleman?.........Wonder why?
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#101685 Mar 3, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't addressed to you? I never said it was. Gee, you are so anal.
I bet when you are asleep the guns stare darts at you. Haven't you noticed small eyes that are glowing?
Go on- admit it.
You are SANE? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha. That was funny. I'll leave it at that.
Guns don't have brains? Oh, same as men.
How is Mrs. Halo these days?
Letterman on guns;

*Top Ten... Reasons Why Men Prefer Guns Over Women.

#10 - You can trade an old 44 for a new 22.

#9 - You can keep one gun at home and have another for when you're on the road.

#8 - If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

#7 - Your primary gun doesn't mind if you keep another gun for a backup.

#6 - Your gun will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.

#5 - A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

#4 - Guns function normally every day of the month.

#3 - A gun doesn't ask, "Do these new grips make me look fat?"

#2 - A gun doesn't mind if you go to sleep after you use it.

And the Number One reason Why Men Prefer Guns over women .....

#1 - You can buy a silencer for a gun.

Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#101686 Mar 3, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Arkansas? LOL
It doesn't matter where he lives. A redneck can choose any state.

Hope you had a good laugh. You are kind of mysterious. You don't speak your mind.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#101687 Mar 3, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting...did you know that more murders are committed with blunt objects than murders committed with a rifle...?
Take everything out of the house that you can pickup or swing with one hand...ok..?
Oh wait...did you know that more murders are committed with hands, fists and feet than murders committed with a rifle...?
Starting at birth...every child will have their hands and feet amputated...think that will work...?
After all...it's just a matter of time...right...? Don't we need to do that...to "save the children"...?
No, people like you should have their hands and feet amputated. The ones who are capable of murder. Part of the Apgar.
I don't believe YOUR statistics.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#101688 Mar 3, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like a broken record.
A: Who am I being comparred with, a gun owning dick, I don't own a gun so that already puts me one up on your lack of intelligence.....
Amazeing how someone thousands of miles thinks that she know what americans think more then americans do.
A: It's called technology, and go critisise the yanks if you don't want your information and news to get out of the country.....Close the borders and become China.....
If you're so damn smart, why the hell arent you running for political office in your country? Every nation needs smart politicans, so why arent you running?
A: Polititians don't have a brain, that leaves me out.
Im sure a country of 22 million has alot less problems then a country of 315 million, yet it does have problems I am sure, and I'm sure that they would appreciate your help.
A: I am sure a country with a higher population would have their problems compounded, but they will still have the same problems, dude.
Every american whom own guns are members of the nra, includeing myself.
A: Well that just adds you to the idiot list of gun owners! However, I just might sign up, who knows?
A: I thought you said you were a card carrying member of the NRA, was that just yankee sarcasm...didn't quite make the grade did it? It is funny how all you gun owning dicks claim to back the NRA and believe in the motto and LOL......ethics(now that was sarcasm), yet when pushed non of you are members, what a bunch of hypocrites.
"Who am I being comparred with, a gun owning dick, I don't own a gun..."

Ok...so you're just a dick.
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#101689 Mar 3, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
Letterman on guns;
*Top Ten... Reasons Why Men Prefer Guns Over Women.
#10 - You can trade an old 44 for a new 22.
#9 - You can keep one gun at home and have another for when you're on the road.
#8 - If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.
#7 - Your primary gun doesn't mind if you keep another gun for a backup.
#6 - Your gun will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.
#5 - A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.
#4 - Guns function normally every day of the month.
#3 - A gun doesn't ask, "Do these new grips make me look fat?"
#2 - A gun doesn't mind if you go to sleep after you use it.
And the Number One reason Why Men Prefer Guns over women .....
#1 - You can buy a silencer for a gun.
Pretty funny. When you heard that, did you laugh or grimace? You don't have a sense of humor.

You know, when someone says something funny - most people go hahahahahahaha. Do you know how that works? Try practicing it - it may take a while, but you might get it. Good luck.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#101690 Mar 3, 2013
crawlfish wrote:
<quoted text>Damn you lady, you just have no sense of humor.
A person with no sense of humor is like a wagon with no springs. It's jolted by every pebble in the road.(I think that has ahomana written all over it)
How dare you call her a "lady"...lol
Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#101691 Mar 3, 2013
Marauder wrote:
<quoted text>
"Who am I being comparred with, a gun owning dick, I don't own a gun..."
Ok...so you're just a dick.
You are obsessed with parts of your body. It's ok. Some have - some don't.

Are you brave enough for surgery?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Experts recommend several measures to reduce fi... 1 hr FormerParatrooper 3
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... 10 hr Harry Paratestes 1,587
News Clinton blames Republican leaders for a 'paraly... 12 hr WasteWater 1,165
News Legislators criticize Healey's assault weapons ... Wed Get Out 6
News A Powerful and Pragmatic Approach to Criminal J... Wed Enough Already 1
News Pam Frampton: America: shot through the heart, ... Jul 27 Watchdog 1
News Letter: Second Amendment should be abolished Jul 23 Prep-for-Dep 6
More from around the web