It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103292 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Guppy

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#101258 Feb 27, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
OK, so let's recap on what we've got so far.
You acknowledge that shooting a gun can be a Sport, but rate it an "unhealthy one".
According to you Soccer, Tennis and Rowing are "Healthy Sports".
Whereas Boxing, Archery, Rodeo and Bullfighting are "not Sports but Hobbies".
Target Shooting is "for Weirdos and Would-be Murderers".
Fencing, you had no idea about.
Tae Kwando and Karate are "Self-defense".
BUT ... the only activity that you proclaim "unhealthy" is a Sport involving a gun.
Firstly, the distinction that you draw between a "Sport" and a "Hobby" is highly contentious.
Both are indulged in not by necessity but by choice.
Both require dedication and discipline.
If most people would agree that "Stamp Collecting" is a "Hobby", then it seems you would put Boxing, Archery, Rodeo, Bull Fighting etc. in that same category.
And you omit the fact that both Tae Kwando and Karate are recognized Olympic "Sports".
Secondly, bear in mind the following:
All the following activities:
Boxing, Archery, Rodeo and Bullfighting, Fencing, Tae Kwando and Karate, can all kill. A few have ... more than pistol shooting sports.
Therefore shouldn't you be rating all of those as "not healthy sports"?
Shouldn't you be rating Boxing, Archery, Tae Kwando and Karate together as "Self Defense" for weirdos and would-be murderers?
Those of your mindset would insist that a gun is primarily designed to kill.
So before the advent of guns, all those killed in battle with Swords were killed by accident. Right?
Or according to you Fencing would not be a "healthy sport".
ONCE YOU GO DOWN THE PATH of trying to categorize and grade the relative merit of recreational activities don't you end up saying far more about yourself than about the activities that you are judging?
Arguably the only thing sets sporting pistol shooting apart from the other named activities is the noise that it makes!
Isn't the "Healthiness or un-healthiness" of Sports highly subjective?
Maybe someone could get killed if you licked a Stamp at them .....
Boxing is not a sport. Usually, it's two guys trying to hurt each other to make money. What?
Archery? Does anyone do that anymore. That could be a sport, I guess.
Bull fighting? Not a sport. They just want to torment an animal and hope that some people get gored.
Fencing? Sort of a sport.
Karate? Mainly, self defense.
Rodeo? Rednecks who like to have a good time whilst the animal does not. He uses the animal.
Not a sport.
Isn't that called having an opinion? It may differ from yours, but it's still an opinion.

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#101259 Feb 27, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it true that Hugh Jackman is gay?
Seth McFarlane embarrassed America? I guess I missed that part.
Well I don't know if Hugh Jackman is gay or not, and I don't know why his sexuality is an relevant here accept to maybe homphobes,but I strongly doubt that he is anything but hetro, by the way are you a homophobe? You should have got McFarlane to add a few gay jokes into his rednecked repetoire' then that would have at least shown a well rounded ignorant yankee performance...And there is you showing your willingness to down someone that hasn't offended to protect one of your kind, that has!....Well done you, you have shown your yankee lack of logic and fairness.

Perth, Australia

#101260 Feb 27, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I missed you. I miss Spider too, but I think he left for greener pastures.
Sounds like your sister lives in a pretty place.
I bet you are happy to be back. Sitting on a verandah sipping drinks doesn't sound like much fun.
The drinks were coffee and or green tea cocktails, I am a tea totaller.
Spider won't go far, nothing is dearer to his heart than this gun owning bullshit, even for that shitty Brit.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#101261 Feb 27, 2013
Oh Boy!!!! I'll say nothing.LOLOLOLOL!

Perth, Australia

#101262 Feb 27, 2013
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Watching those freaks in Hollywood could ruin a nice trip to the country.:-)
It did, but I bounce back well it isn't like I am not prepared for the going's on at the oscars or any award ceremony, ie girls kissing girls, flashing boobs and saying it was accidental, stage falls politically incorrect statements, protest speaches...it is a sad day when you are offered a reward for your efforts as well as those who worked so hard with you to achieve that and you insult and embarrass your country and those who helped you acheive that position...and I am not limiting that to the Oscars or America( god forbid)...we have our share of ungrateful, no mouth to brain filter compares and drunken yankee visiting guest stars....People are always saying how you can't say such things today, McFarlane obviously didn't know the rules, did he? or he is too stupid to define a closed comedic audience to a worldwide viewing audience?....I would be changing the committee who chose such a twat for such a prestigious event in the first place.

I did love getting away from it and just taking in the bush and animals...my family has a couple of animals that come right up to the house, they were rescued as babies then released and yet they still come up to the house for a visit every once in a while.

Perth, Australia

#101263 Feb 27, 2013
HollybytheSea wrote:
Oh Boy!!!! I'll say nothing.LOLOLOLOL!
Then why the need to tell us that if that is your intention? it is simply what we have come to expect from you. You saying nothing regularly is what you do, and yet you have a need to advertise that fact??
Pet Owner

Austin, TX

#101264 Feb 27, 2013
VET wrote:
Needs a cat scan and lab report six oz hammer will cure problem.
Your not very helpful at all. I tell you Mr Mittens problems and you suggest this ? hmpf and you call yourself a vet.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#101265 Feb 27, 2013
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Boxing is not a sport. Usually, it's two guys trying to hurt each other to make money. What?
Archery? Does anyone do that anymore. That could be a sport, I guess.
Bull fighting? Not a sport. They just want to torment an animal and hope that some people get gored.
Fencing? Sort of a sport.
Karate? Mainly, self defense.
Rodeo? Rednecks who like to have a good time whilst the animal does not. He uses the animal.
Not a sport.
Isn't that called having an opinion? It may differ from yours, but it's still an opinion.
Good. I seem to have gotten through to you. Pronouncements like ones you have made are opinion, nothing more.

But wouldn't opinion based on at least a little research have been of more merit?

Location hidden

#101266 Feb 27, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why the need to tell us that if that is your intention? it is simply what we have come to expect from you. You saying nothing regularly is what you do, and yet you have a need to advertise that fact??
You say your sister owns guns. What does she do with them? Does she just look at and admire them?

and according to to you, Americans who own guns are "gun owning crazy yanks"

I smell a touch of hypcrisy here.
amazed

Melbourne, Australia

#101267 Feb 27, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
So they dropped the charges against you? Couldn't they locate any of the bodies?

Location hidden

#101268 Feb 27, 2013
Posts 101241 ad 101257.

Location hidden

#101269 Feb 27, 2013
HollybytheSea wrote:
Posts 101241 ad 101257.
Addition to 101266

Perth, Australia

#101270 Feb 27, 2013
HollybytheSea wrote:
<quoted text>You say your sister owns guns. What does she do with them? Does she just look at and admire them?
and according to to you, Americans who own guns are "gun owning crazy yanks"
I smell a touch of hypcrisy here.
Not at all, if you had read any of my earlier posts I clearly state I have always been around guns and there are good reasons as to why I hate them and what they are used for.....I have also stated that I understand why certain times a gun would be useful in yankeeland as well as in Australia in regards to living in the wild or culling to protect when necessary(still don't like it though), so I think it is just you reading into my posts what you want to....That is clearly your problem Pacha! Do your research if you intend to shit on someone, I do, and do it effectively, you just flail about in the breeze with not effect.

Perth, Australia

#101271 Feb 27, 2013
amazed wrote:
<quoted text>So they dropped the charges against you? Couldn't they locate any of the bodies?
Well they wouldn't would they, I don't commit crimes of passion whereby mistakes can be made? I use calculated logic and I always have a plan....that way I never give myself away, well I haven't to date!....You on the other hand have never committed such an offence else you would be in jail by now so you are either cowardly or stupid, it is all to do with having a working brain and IQ level beyond the norm, you my fat friend seem to sadly lack in that department.

Perth, Australia

#101272 Feb 27, 2013
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/27/tea_party_exi...

You are looking at the future of the leaders of the NRA who will be heading down the same rabbit warren out of site, as all fanantice end up....When the gun idiots wise up that they are being used, La Pierre will become the most hated man in America.....Oh and FYI, another student got murdered by gun on campus in California yesterday, if any of you gun supporters actually give a rats, still looking for the shooter though..and the gun!
fresca

Thailand

#101273 Feb 27, 2013
The ADELAIDEAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Good. I seem to have gotten through to you. Pronouncements like ones you have made are opinion, nothing more.
But wouldn't opinion based on at least a little research have been of more merit?
You tell 'em, beady!!!!
The Assholeaidean

Thailand

#101275 Feb 27, 2013
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone hates me? What is your source to claim "everyone"? Is it this forum, which (let's be honest)is a handful of looney gun owning crazy yanks at most. So thinking about it logically everyone would have about the same amount of haters, even you noong.....I don't regard people hating others as their problem anymore than the hater controlling your happiness or confidence in yourself and I have both in spades....seems you don't, else you wouldn't put much store in such schoolyard logic....boo hoo to you hoo....
It's YOU , beady!

http://i48.tinypic.com/osz8tv.jpg

Perth, Australia

#101277 Feb 27, 2013
The Assholeaidean wrote:
<quoted text>It's YOU , beady!
http://i48.tinypic.com/osz8tv.jpg
I wished I did look like your Mum there, and then I could have drained you of your blood at birth....Do vampires eat their young...my guess is no, you are still here.
LOL

Sydney, Australia

#101278 Feb 27, 2013
I stuck my gun inside Hollybythesea's mouth and urinated.

Location hidden

#101279 Feb 27, 2013
Pacha? Pretty nasty comeback! Never went that route but you seem to know something about it. Pml!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obey the police, who are almost always right; M... Nov 21 youll shoot your ... 1
News Paxton's acceptance of shootings is unacceptable Nov 18 youll shoot your ... 1
Texas mass shooting Nov 11 Canlendyou 13
News Massachusetts 1st to ban bump stocks since Vega... Nov 11 Watchdog 3
News Existing laws should have stopped shooter Nov 10 payme 1
News Texas Attorney General: The way to stop mass sh... Nov 9 Brenda Lasley 16
30-06 (7.62X63) vs .308 (7.62X51) (Feb '11) Nov 7 Charlie 122
More from around the web