It's the Guns, Stupid

It's the Guns, Stupid

There are 103340 comments on the Truthdig story from Apr 20, 2007, titled It's the Guns, Stupid. In it, Truthdig reports that:

“And that's the end of the issue”

Why do we have the same futile argument every time there is a mass killing? Advocates of gun control try to open a discussion about whether more reasonable weapons statutes might reduce the number of violent ... via Truthdig

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Truthdig.

Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84396 Dec 11, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they both had a loser attached. When a gun sits in a box it just sits in a box. It can't do anything.
But when a guy gets his hands on one. All hell breaks loose.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84397 Dec 11, 2012
spider1954 wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT KILLED ABE LINCOLN ?
WHAT KILLED JFK ?
Just a theory here but I would suggest it was a difference in poitical views with another group of people.
What killed Lord Mountbatten ?, Yes thats it, a difference in political views, NOT that he was personally involved in polotics, but the people that BLEW his boat to pieces with a BOMB were just interested at hitting out at the establishment.
I think JFK was killed by the mob. He and his brother betrayed them and being the ultra sensitive people they are, wanted revenge. They got it, big time.
I think you are right about Abe Lincoln.
10:33 Most Cloudy. Where is the sun?!

Since: Jan 11

Mount Holly, NJ

#84398 Dec 11, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
But when a guy gets his hands on one. All hell breaks loose.
That's right, "a guy".

Mount Holly, NJ

#84399 Dec 11, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think JFK was killed by the mob. He and his brother betrayed them and being the ultra sensitive people they are, wanted revenge. They got it, big time.
I think you are right about Abe Lincoln.
10:33 Most Cloudy. Where is the sun?!
So, Oswald's pro-communist views were the same as Kennedy's anti-communist views?

Mount Holly, NJ

#84400 Dec 11, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Did not google Lord Mountbatten. He was Prince Charles mentor, so to speak.
He was killed in the boat along with his grandson???
I have a DVD called ~ Mountbatten ~ or something like that.
So There!
Blockbuster wants it back.

Those Indians killed Mountbatten too?
Dan C

Roseville, CA

#84401 Dec 11, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
So. He was licensed to do so. Not a crime.
<quoted text>
What evidence is there that he "started" anything??
<quoted text>
Why should he have to take a beating???
<quoted text>
AFTER having his head pounded into the sidewalk. A life-threatening attack.
<quoted text>
Well....no death for Martin. Zimmerman may very well have been killed by having his head repeatedly slammed into the concrete. Good thing he was able to defend himself, huh?
Your biggest problem is not seeing Zimmerman's involvement.

Zimmerman played the punk that night. You nor anyone else has the right to play creep towards an unarmed youth at night in the fashion Zimmerman did. If you think Zimmerman was in the right in his actions that night then in turn you might just support a pedophile following little girls. It's the same reasoning in that they did nothing illegal unless they cross the bounds.

Zimmerman asked for that event to happen that night. He begged for it.

Just because your IQ isn't high enough to figure out which end of a can of soda to open the first try doesn't mean anyone else, especially the jury that is chosen for this trial, will see this case the same way.

FYI.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84402 Dec 11, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
So, Oswald's pro-communist views were the same as Kennedy's anti-communist views?
That had nothing to do with the killing of JFK.

How did Oswald orchestrate the whole thing by himself?

Remember he said he was a Patsy before they killed him so he wouldn't talk.

NO lawyer, no nuttin.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84403 Dec 11, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Blockbuster wants it back.
Those Indians killed Mountbatten too?
The indians couldn't put a bomb together to save their lives.

Blockbuster wants it back? No one told me.
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84405 Dec 11, 2012
lalalala.

Does anyone have a tattoo? Thinking about getting one.

Mount Holly, NJ

#84406 Dec 11, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
That had nothing to do with the killing of JFK.
How did Oswald orchestrate the whole thing by himself?
Remember he said he was a Patsy before they killed him so he wouldn't talk.
NO lawyer, no nuttin.
Orchestrate what? Bring a gun to work in a box and shoot at a car from a window? The route was published in the papers. It doesn't take a genius.

He wouldn't talk because he was a patsy?

If you don't ask for a lawyer, you won't get one. If you're not talking, you don't need one.

Mount Holly, NJ

#84407 Dec 11, 2012
Guppy wrote:
lalalala.
Does anyone have a tattoo? Thinking about getting one.
Why?
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84408 Dec 11, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Orchestrate what? Bring a gun to work in a box and shoot at a car from a window? The route was published in the papers. It doesn't take a genius.
If you don't ask for a lawyer, you won't get one. If you're not talking, you don't need one.
haha ~ He said he was a PATSY. They killed him so he WOULDN'T talk. That's obvious.

He said he wanted a lawyer. The truth would have come out if afforded legal counsel.

Must have been some shot. He even knew which car was Kennedy"s from a distance. Just happened to kill the poor guy and wound the Governor. Wow! That worked out pretty well for a lone assassin.

He must have been one savvy guy.

Shaking head.

Teeman, teaman, iceteaman. Rolling eyes.

How bout dem eagles? Better late than never...Do you think they'll fire Reid?
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84409 Dec 11, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
Wanted to know if it is a painful procedure.

Would you do it again?
Guppy

Bristol, PA

#84410 Dec 11, 2012
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't the court appoint a lawyer? Everyone gets a public defender.

Mount Holly, NJ

#84411 Dec 11, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't the court appoint a lawyer? Everyone gets a public defender.
The court only appoints a lawyer when you ask for one and can't afford one of your own. That was before Miranda anyway.

Mount Holly, NJ

#84412 Dec 11, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wanted to know if it is a painful procedure.
Would you do it again?
I never had one so I wouldn't know. I'm asking why would you even want one.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#84413 Dec 11, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't read about this case since last spring, but I will try to answer. My pleasure.
How do you know Zim had his head repeatedly slammed into the concrete? One good slam could have broken the skin.
He had multiple (more than one) cuts to the back of his head.
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll try to simplify this.
Martin was walking through the "gated" neighborhood. Was he on his way to his father's house? If so, he was a guest. He was allowed to be there.
It was his father's girlfriend's townhouse. NOT his father's.
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Zim was cruising around looking for interlopers. Had his gun ready to roll.
Bullshit. He was on his way to the store. And what the hell does "Had his gun ready to roll" mean??
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Zim sees Martin and wants to confront him.
He does.
What evidence do you have that 1. he wanted to confront Martin? If he did, why would he not have just done it instead of calling the police?; and 2. What evidence do you have that it was Zimmerman that confronted Martin? According to martin's girlfriend, it was Martin that first spoke to Zimmerman.
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Fight insues.
And even the prosecution has admitted to NOT knowing who threw the first blow.
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Zim is getting worried because he is taking the brunt of it.
Pulls out gun and shoots Martin.
What evidence do you have that Zimmerman ever laid a finger on Martin. Other than a single GSW, he had no other offense wounds on his person.
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Zim should have waited for cops, but he was hell bent on confronting this guy, that had every reason to be there IF HIS FATHER LIVED THERE. Don't remember if this is true.
It's not, and the reast of this statement is oure speculation on your part with no evidence to back it.
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Martin is dead for walking through neighborhood and Zim is in enormous trouble.
Martin is dead becuase he decided to slam someone's head into a concrete sidewalk who was prepared to defend their own life with deadly force if necessary. I guess he felt it was necessary, and it will be up to the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt otherwise.
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
He'll be found guilty.
Because he is.
Based on what evidence??? You have yet to provide any.
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's The Guns, Stupid.
If I see someone I don't recognize on my street, I say hello to them and keep walking. NO ONE but a security guard has the right to ask someone why they are there. NO ONE does that.
If you live in the woods in a secluded area and I was walking down your lane one day.
I would be expected to be asked by the owner of the house what I was doing there.
Guppy
Yes people do that. I confronted an unknown person sitting in a truck in front of my house not more than two months ago. I had every right to do so...it is MY neighborhood and he was a stranger.

Zimmerman was the head of the neighborhood watch and a homeowner in a private gated community. He had every right to ask Martin what he was doing there. In response, Martin was under no obligation to answer. But he also had NO right to go to blows with Zimmerman just because he didn't like being questioned. Too bad his decision to do that cost him his life. Sucks to be Martin.

Mount Holly, NJ

#84414 Dec 11, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
haha ~ He said he was a PATSY. They killed him so he WOULDN'T talk. That's obvious.
He said he wanted a lawyer. The truth would have come out if afforded legal counsel.
Must have been some shot. He even knew which car was Kennedy"s from a distance. Just happened to kill the poor guy and wound the Governor. Wow! That worked out pretty well for a lone assassin.
He must have been one savvy guy.
Shaking head.
Teeman, teaman, iceteaman. Rolling eyes.
How bout dem eagles? Better late than never...Do you think they'll fire Reid?
Who is they?

Savvy guy? No, a marine corps trained marksman like the tower sniper in Austin, Texas.

Kennedy's car would be the one with Kennedy in it.:-)

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#84415 Dec 11, 2012
Guppy wrote:
<quoted text>
He even knew which car was Kennedy"s from a distance.
Well, it was a convertible. So it shouldn't have been too difficult to figure that one out.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#84416 Dec 11, 2012
Guppy wrote:
A four year old boy found his father's guns and killed his two year old brother in Michigan.
The little two year old would be alive today if it weren't for the gun.
Sad story.
Happens too much. Shouldn't have guns in the house with children.
I bet the parents will show up at the police station and drop off the weapons.
Shaking Head.
A football players wife today would be alive if she had had a gun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The new Wild West: Sacramento's sheriff issues ... 15 hr RayOne 1
News Packing pistols: Is Texas safer with more licen... (Jul '11) Thu Public farts 6
News Suspect in Louisiana theatre rampage had histor... Jul 28 El Chapo 56
News Local Jews upset by Holocaust references in cam... (Jun '12) Jul 27 swedenforever 123
News Louisiana Moms, Aurora Theater Shooting Survivo... Jul 25 payme 2
News Why assault rifle sales are booming Jul 24 Here Is One 242
News Legal Loophole: Concealed carry law Jul 24 CGiven 2
More from around the web